PDA

View Full Version : Features I enjoyed from past AC Games

swoop12345
06-16-2014, 08:28 PM
So, AC Unity has been announced. I do like the sound and look of it, and I will definitely follow how this plays out. But I am hoping certain features from past games will be kept, instead of creating a new game from scratch (which will cause lots of problems) or just copying everything from Black Flag (in which case I won't buy it).

Don't get me wrong, I liked Black Flag. But ripping on its bad features isn't the point of this post. I am here to discuss my favorite things from past games.

1. AC Revelations Combat
The combat and weapon system in ACR was my favorite out of the entire series. It was the first game in the franchise to allow a melee and ranged weapon, and the vast array of options allowed the game to be played how you like it. The amount of options when in open combat was great, too. I could stab them all quickly with the execution feature, kick them all one by one and kill them while they're vulnerable, go all out and use special attacks like the axe swing, or just throw down a smoke bomb and run.

But there was one thing that really annoyed me. In ACR and AC3, the weapon wheel was a huge immersion-breaking system for me. I hated how I could only have 4 weapons on the quick-select at once, and since I needed the hidden blade to be in easy access, only 3 were interchangeable. AC4, however, revolutionized this system for me. It did not break the immersion and it looked good. I don't care that "Ubisoft stole it from other games". It works great. And think of it this way: the other game that had this weapons cross that I know of *cough cough Last of Us cough cough* also stole Eagle Vision in the form of that weird sound-wall-vision thing. (Yes I know other games used the weapons cross).

2. Character Customization
In AC2, ACB, and ACR I was constantly at the tailor shop, changing my style. Sometimes I even sacrificed the protection of armor just to look good. And I even used a glitch to get rid of all my weapons so that it didn't look so clunky!

In short, I am excited for the character customization option in the co-op of ACU. Weapons and looks are huge for me, since I prefer to strut the streets of Paris in style, weapons shining, armor glinting. It will be nice to finally have a real say in what type of main weapon I have. I am also looking forward to Arno himself. I love his outfit. One thing that really bugged me in past games is that the assassins stood out from the crowd like a clown in an office (terrible analogy). Now Arno is less conspicuous, especially since he doesn't have a REALLY HUGE CROSSBOW OR BOW OR BLOWGUN STICKING OUT.

I like being inconspicuous and stylish, in terms of weapons and clothes.

3. Spinning and Swinging Weapons
In AC3, I loved just walking up to guards, swinging my knife, and proceeding to brutally stab them. Playing with weapons was a fun little addition that was immediately removed in AC4, which disappointed me. Instead of twirling a sword, Edward just did an awkward sort of thrust with his 2 sabers.

4. Motive
This one is not really for plot, but more for passing the time murdering helpless roof guards.

In most of the games, you had a reason to kill random soldiers. In AC3 they were oppressive redcoats. In AC2 you were hungry for revenge. In ACB they were evil Borgia guards. In AC4 you were a ruthless pirate. But in ACR, there was no real reason to kill Ottomans! (Yes, there was reason to kill Byzantines. They were Templars.) I am glad Ubisoft has thought out motive in ACU: the guards will be the bodyguards of oppressive, food-hoarding aristocrats.

That's all I can think of for now. Please, tell me what your favorite features from past AC games are, or why you do or don't like my ideas.
Thanks for reading!

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 09:44 PM
ACR definitely has the best combat, I'm hoping this will be even better though, I got pissed after 4 and said I'd quit the series if they didn't fix the combat or return it to Ezio saga style.

My first deciding factor when playing an MMORPG is whether the armor is good and whether the customization is good, If I don't have enough control to make my character unique then I don't bother, I hate that clone **** in MMORPG's

That said I love Arno's default robes.

As for the spinning and swinging weapons... I prefer to swing weapons, this allows us the freedom to attack anything if we're bored or feel like being stupid. It's open world ffs let me slash the horse in the *** if I feel like it.

I never really cared about motive, you kill them cause they're in your way. Who's the ****** bag who assigned them to some remote rooftop anyways?

Ureh
06-16-2014, 10:08 PM
I like how the AC4 weapon/tool selector was accessible without leaving the game to another menu. But switching between ranged weapons is a bit of a annoying. Cause I like to continuously switching from rope dart to pistol during a streak. Having to repeatedly tap the left d-button three times to get to rope dart, then once to return to pistol, and finally rinse and repeating was so discouraging. I do hope they let us us favorite weapons and tools again so we can select them with one tap.

GunnerGalactico
06-16-2014, 10:22 PM
I like how the AC4 weapon/tool selector was accessible without leaving the game to another menu. But switching between ranged weapons is a bit of a annoying. Cause I like to continuously switching from rope dart to pistol during a streak. Having to repeatedly tap the left d-button three times to get to rope dart, then once to return to pistol, and finally rinse and repeating was so discouraging. I do hope they let us choose favorite weapons and tools again so we can select them with one tap.

I agree with this. I definitely liked the weapon selector in AC4 the best compared to the previous titles.

My favourite combat system has to be the ones in ACR and AC3. It was smooth and fluid, and easy to chain kills. Each person has their own preference as to which AC game has the best combat system, so it will vary to each individual. I'm definitely looking forward to the new one in ACU and using the phantom blade :)