PDA

View Full Version : My E3 interview(s) with Alex Amancio (AC Unity Creative Director)

loomer979
06-15-2014, 07:47 PM
The interview is split into two parts: gameplay and story. I was originally told Travis Stout (Lead Writer) would be at E3 but he wasn't, so I asked Alex the story questions instead.

Gameplay Interview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iPUNtnyjjw

Timstamps (these are clickable in the video description):
0:00 - Playing as Arno in co-op
1:08 - Why is there no adversarial multiplayer in Unity?
3:47 - AI / Combat / Difficulty changes
6:11 - Eagle Pulse
7:09 - Side missions and open world events

Story Interview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKWuR5LLpaU

Timestamps:
0:00 - Arno's personality
1:46 - Arno's childhood
2:15 - Why does Arno have a British accent?
5:15 - Helix and the modern day

Thanks to everyone who submitted questions, hope you all enjoy!

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Awesome as always, Loomer!

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 07:48 PM
nice. interview with creative director.

Not some of the questions I would've picked, but hey I'll take what we can get. Thanks anyway. :o

*watches*

edit: wait there is modern day questions woo

Kirokill
06-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Nice!
This post will be edited if I had any questions I need more to understand, otherwise it will stay like this.

Shahkulu101
06-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Cheers Loomer, you are a service to the community! ;)

jayjay275
06-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Nice one loomer.

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Just watched the story interview. Not too much info out of that but it does get me interested.

*watches gameplay interview*

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-15-2014, 08:01 PM
He asked wolfmeister's question, which is the last one with the side missions lol

loomer979
06-15-2014, 08:04 PM
nice. interview with creative director.

Not some of the questions I would've picked, but hey I'll take what we can get. Thanks anyway. :o

*watches*

edit: wait there is modern day questions woo

Yeah E3 was a little hectic because new information was constantly coming out. I also had less time than expected since we had to suddenly cram both the gameplay and story questions in a single time slot with Alex (instead of splitting the story questions off for Travis). I tried to pick some questions that were highly voted, interesting, and hadn't been extensively answered at the time of filming.

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Ah ok. Thanks anyway loomer :o

king-hailz
06-15-2014, 08:16 PM
I have no idea what the modern day will be like... i wonder what Amancio meant by soon, soon when it comes out or soon, in a trailer or something...

Wolfmeister1010
06-15-2014, 08:26 PM
YAY you used my question! Thank you Loomer!!!!!!!!! Many hugs

Mr_Shade
06-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Excellent as always Loomer ;)

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Wow the murder mystery system is cool. I can imprison innocent people I don't like. :rolleyes:

Wolfmeister1010
06-15-2014, 08:34 PM
At first I thought he was kinda trying to curve around the actual meat of my question, the systemic crowd events, but then he totally went into it. Hopefully they still will be in the main game.

And honestly, even though I like most of his decisions..his decision regarding the accents is just.so stupid lol. I can't put it any other way..

You made it english just because that's how Hollywood portrayed it to Americans??? The hell kinda reason is that? I would have MAYBE understood if it was the whole animus translating thing..but what the actual hell lol.

Last time I checked, French people sounded french..and he just confirmed it wasn't because animus..it wasn't because he is part austrian..it is just because. Which kinda annoys me. Why not just get a french actor? I don't understand.

"We'll still add in the occasional french word" ...WHAT????????

Sesheenku
06-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Pretty sweet!

I agree that the accent stuff wasn't the best but I understand it.

Basically he said Edward hears Spanish soldiers speak Spanish because he doesn't understand it, English people on the other hand talk in their natural accent to make it feel more authentic apparently.

Then they said that Arno sounds English because your character is French and so he can't hear French accents, there is no accent to him because all he knows i French.

That's their explanation anyways... it makes sense but at the same time really doesn't, French people can't hear French accents?

Wolfmeister1010
06-15-2014, 08:50 PM
That is stupid. If they are gonna use the argument that he can't hear french accents because he is french, then he should hear everyone in a monotone robot voice..because a noble british royalty accent is not the "standard" accent..

Honest to God....does Alex have a code that he has to make ONE completely horrific and idiotic decision per game?? I mean..at least it isn't another tower defense type thing but god..

Sushiglutton
06-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Awesome interview, thanks Loomer great job!

Now I know what Eagle pulse is! I love how Paris is considered the main character of the side content. Focusing on uncovering the story of a place is the type of game narrative that works the best imo (aka Bioshock). Ofc Unity will also tell Arno's story in the main campaign.

It's cool with guys like Alex who never hesitates and are capable of giving long and intelligent answers no matter what you throw at them. Wish I had some of that :)!

At first I thought he was kinda trying to curve around the actual meat of my question, the systemic crowd events, but then he totally went into it. Hopefully they still will be in the main game.

And honestly, even though I like most of his decisions..his decision regarding the accents is just.so stupid lol. I can't put it any other way..

You made it english just because that's how Hollywood portrayed it to Americans??? The hell kinda reason is that? I would have MAYBE understood if it was the whole animus translating thing..but what the actual hell lol.

Last time I checked, French people sounded french..and he just confirmed it wasn't because animus..it wasn't because he is part austrian..it is just because. Which kinda annoys me. Why not just get a french actor? I don't understand.

All AC games are playable with French voiceover, so just use that with subtitles ;)! That's my plan anyhow.

Dome500
06-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Great Interviews

I hope with "you are the protagonist" he might mean we can make choices in MD...
Would be cool.

Also interested in the Helix stuff.

All AC games are playable with French voiceover, so just use that with subtitles ! That's my plan anyhow.

That would be my nightmare -.- :D

rob.davies2014
06-15-2014, 09:42 PM
The accents thing is so weird, I hope they don't stick with it for future games :nonchalance:

loomer979
06-15-2014, 10:31 PM
The accents thing is so weird, I hope they don't stick with it for future games :nonchalance:

Yeah that was the one answer I wasn't really satisfied with. I wanted to push more but we were already short on time. It's so weird, it almost sounds like from now on any game not set in America will have dialogue with British accents because that's "foreign". I can't imagine that's going to actually be the case. It's also completely counter to how the Ezio games were handled (unfortunately we got sidetracked by AC3's logic when I brought that up).

I honestly wonder if it's just that they had trouble doing french accents without it sounding like a caricature. "I'm french! Why do you think I have this outrageous accent?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yjNbcKkNY

ACfan443
06-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Thanks for interview, greatly appreciate your work.

Totally agree. I was fully expecting the 'oh it's the animus' and 'that's how it's done in Hollywood' BS, so I'm not surprised that he provided such poor reasoning. The English accents sound so bad, and are totally incongruous with the setting and period. I don't think accusing them of being lazy would be entirely fair, considering the time and effort required to scout British-English speaking VAs would be far greater than those that speak French. I mean, the lead studio is based in a French speaking capital so they obviously can't be short on people who speak the language. I just think it's an odd and poorly realised creative choice.

ArabianFrost
06-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Maybe it's cause people usually view french accents as comical as well them being somewhat incomprehensible when speaking for long? The only protagonist that had a non-English/American accent was Ezio and it wasn't even Italian, it was Latin, so I don't know why people are complaining.

Edit:
Nevermind. Remembered the Aveline game. They don't have an excuse.

rob.davies2014
06-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Yeah that was the one answer I wasn't really satisfied with. I wanted to push more but we were already short on time. It's so weird, it almost sounds like from now on any game not set in America will have dialogue with British accents because that's "foreign". I can't imagine that's going to actually be the case. It's also completely counter to how the Ezio games were handled (unfortunately we got sidetracked by AC3's logic when I brought that up).

I honestly wonder if it's just that they had trouble doing french accents without it sounding like a caricature. "I'm french! Why do you think I have this outrageous accent?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yjNbcKkNY

I've heard a few people saying the French accent wouldn't sound very good (i.e. fake/silly) but I really don't see where they're coming from. If they've got French voice actors to do it then surely that would be fine. And maybe they could have squeezed in a Monty Python Easter Egg somewhere :rolleyes:

Jexx21
06-15-2014, 11:44 PM
I think it is actually because french accents are more thick than some other accents and are harder to understand. It's fine for a few characters in other games, but not for everyone for the entire game, at least not for the American audience (Aveline didn't have a thick French accent). Of course they can't say that because it would probably be offensive.

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 11:45 PM
Even though Aveline's accent wasn't thick I still had trouble understanding her, tbh.

ze_topazio
06-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Amancio is terrible at excuses.

I-Like-Pie45
06-15-2014, 11:53 PM
MAYBE THE FRENCH ACCENT VOICEOVERS WILL BE DLC

JUST A THOUGHT - rc

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 12:00 AM
That is stupid. If they are gonna use the argument that he can't hear french accents because he is french, then he should hear everyone in a monotone robot voice..because a noble british royalty accent is not the "standard" accent..

Honest to God....does Alex have a code that he has to make ONE completely horrific and idiotic decision per game?? I mean..at least it isn't another tower defense type thing but god..

SHHHH SHHHH SHHHHH SHHHHH SHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you doing?!? Don't mention that atrocity on these forums! Don't remind him!

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 12:10 AM
You did the best you could with time constraints and unexpected turn of events. Half of the questions I already knew because over the past few days I have already searched up heaps of interviews to get updated before watching this one so I guess thats kinda my fault lol.

Yea I dont really like the accents thing either its really confusing "french people cant hear french people and english people cant hear this and that and bla bla bla" how about " Um soz Loomer brah we got lazy and couldn't be bothered to get a good VA and just chucked a common british accent on him :rolleyes:

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 12:27 AM
Even though Aveline's accent wasn't thick I still had trouble understanding her, tbh.

Her accent and voice actually kinda bugged me, it was too soft even a little childish.

Now I really like The Baron De Valois accent.

wvstolzing
06-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Great work as always, loomer; thanks!

Concerning the answers: I have to say that I like the mild-RPG elements from AC2 returning.

Ureh
06-16-2014, 12:30 AM
Thank you so much Loomer. Btw did Amancio say anything about your shirt?! Any subtle reaction...?

Jexx21
06-16-2014, 12:32 AM
Great work as always, loomer; thanks!

Concerning the answers: I have to say that I like the mild-RPG elements from AC2 returning.
AC2 never had skills...
all of the subsequent games had weapons with stats just like AC2 as well

if you're talking about the Villa, something like that was in AC3 and AC4 as well, although I do think Unity is bringing it back in a bigger way that expands upon it.

wvstolzing
06-16-2014, 12:39 AM
AC2 never had skills...
all of the subsequent games had weapons with stats just like AC2 as well

That's right; but with AC2, there was a clear sense of progression with the gear. That sense of progression was kinda lost, I think, in later games. Including the search for the 'special armor'----in ACB it came FAR too late in the storyline, and from ACR onwards, it & the quests leading to it didn't matter all that much.

Now with *skills*, and gear that *makes a difference*, that sense of *improving*/*customizing* your character will return. That's what I meant.

if you're talking about the Villa, something like that was in AC3 and AC4 as well, although I do think Unity is bringing it back in a bigger way that expands upon it.

Yeah, and I'm really intrigued by that.

Jexx21
06-16-2014, 12:42 AM
I felt that progression in ACB as well. Not so much ACR, but eh.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 12:51 AM
I felt that progression in ACB as well. Not so much ACR, but eh.

You can go from the lowest armor to Master Assassin armor pretty quickly so yeah lol Revelations was rushed in that aspect.

projectpat06
06-16-2014, 01:00 AM
The british accent would be easier to understand than a thick french accent. It would have made more sense to have the main character to actually be British considering many Brits were involved in the revolution. Maybe Arno is actually from England and has ties to the Kenway story arc. This could be something they are keeping under wraps.

I was honestly hoping the main character to be a British spy who is involved with the revolution. Scarlet Pimpernel anyone?

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 01:05 AM
The british accent would be easier to understand than a thick french accent. It would have made more sense to have the main character to actually be British considering many Brits were involved in the revolution. Maybe Arno is actually from England and has ties to the Kenway story arc. This could be something they are keeping under wraps.

I was honestly hoping the main character to be a British spy who is involved with the revolution. Scarlet Pimpernel anyone?

They said he has no ties to Desmond whatsoever so that should very much include the Kenways.

Megas_Doux
06-16-2014, 01:11 AM
Good interview!

Could those robberies- catch the thief- seeing in the video be related to that french detective guy??? If so, it means those are NOT random.......

projectpat06
06-16-2014, 01:24 AM
They said he has no ties to Desmond whatsoever so that should very much include the Kenways.

no ties to Desmond does not mean no ties to the assassins and templars of this time period. This game is taking place directly after AC3

roostersrule2
06-16-2014, 01:27 AM
no ties to Desmond does not mean no ties to the assassins and templars of this time period. This game is taking place directly after AC3There's a 10 or so year gap.

projectpat06
06-16-2014, 01:44 AM
There's a 10 or so year gap.

sequence 12 is in 1782. The Ac unity demo sequence was in 1789. By then Arno is a skilled assassin. Arno's father was killed when he was much younger apparently. Just saying there could be some ties which would be nice since the templar presence in England seemed pretty significant.

roostersrule2
06-16-2014, 01:48 AM
sequence 12 is in 1782. The Ac unity demo sequence was in 1789. By then Arno is a skilled assassin. Arno's father was killed when he was much younger apparently. Just saying there could be some ties which would be nice since the templar presence in England seemed pretty significant.Perhaps, well there's all the Connor theories but I'd prefer if we saw someone cool from AC3, like um, ah I literally have no one. Everyone good died and the rest suck.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 02:12 AM
no ties to Desmond does not mean no ties to the assassins and templars of this time period. This game is taking place directly after AC3

It does mean no ties to the Kenways, because being tied to the Kenways would mean being tied to Desmond as they're his ancestors. That's how I see it anyways.

Jexx21
06-16-2014, 02:18 AM
they meant no biological ties in terms of that. The story can still have ties to the Kenways but it would be through Arno's eyes.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 02:37 AM
they meant no biological ties in terms of that. The story can still have ties to the Kenways but it would be through Arno's eyes.

You're 100% sure or is that merely your interpretation?

Ureh
06-16-2014, 02:41 AM
Ha, for a second I thought that the idea of Haytham being Arno's adoptive daddy was being tossed around. That would be ridiculous. Kinda. :p

Jexx21
06-16-2014, 02:48 AM
You're 100% sure or is that merely your interpretation?
100%

That's what they always mean when the question is "Is Arno an ancestor of Desmond?"

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 02:53 AM
100%

That's what they always mean when the question is "Is Arno an ancestor of Desmond?"

If you insist. If you're wrong though I get to push you off the highest part of Notre Dame.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 02:55 AM
If you insist. If you're wrong though I get to push you off the highest part of Notre Dame.

I can't wait to do that to someone in co-op :rolleyes:

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 03:08 AM
I can't wait to do that to someone in co-op :rolleyes:

Can you picture the internet a few months down the line after the games release?

There will be drawings and gifs all over the internet depicting Arno knocking his friends off the tops of buildings with captions like So you say you don't like the new MP eh? -Pushes off- Whoops my bad...

Jexx21
06-16-2014, 03:08 AM
are you going to do that to me?

u jerk

don't worry I'll grab something and descend down from there.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 03:10 AM
are you going to do that to me?

u jerk

don't worry I'll grab something and descend down from there.

Pfft I'll make sure I drop you far from any ledges of course. This is the price you pay if you're wrong.

If not you get knock me off of the building of your choice instead.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 03:10 AM
Oh shoot I forgot you can climb things down now.

So much for that.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 03:11 AM

So much for that.

Yeah but you can't recover from a fall, so all that's required is to push them far enough away from anything they could grab on to.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 03:13 AM
true true.

plan not completely ruined. :cool:

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 03:14 AM
true true.

plan not completely ruined. :cool:

After either me or Jexx die and splatter from a ridiculously high fall we should all start a party where we just push each other off of buildings to celebrate the games new freedom. Why? Just cause that's ****ing why.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 03:15 AM
Ah yes, a king of the mountain game. Last man standing wins.

I look forward to it. :rolleyes:

Jexx21
06-16-2014, 03:16 AM
you can recover from a fall though if you can grab onto something.

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 03:24 AM

So much for that.

Arno 1: Hehehehe (push) wait what???? your flying down the building like a monkey!

Arno 2: Its not flying!! Its falling... WITH STYLE!

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 03:33 AM
Ah yes, a king of the mountain game. Last man standing wins.

I look forward to it. :rolleyes:

Indeed.

you can recover from a fall though if you can grab onto something.

Well duh I'll make sure to push you far enough!

I hope they don't crush our dreams by not letting us do anything to our friends.

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 03:43 AM
We all go to the top of notre dame in co op and i spam smoke bombs and push you all off.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 03:49 AM
We all go to the top of notre dame in co op and i spam smoke bombs and push you all off.

Pfft you'll have to catch me first, eagle sense on!!!! -runs in circles-

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 03:50 AM
like smoke bombs actually make it harder to see

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 03:59 AM
like smoke bombs actually make it harder to see

Yeah co-op is gonna make old MP look like ****. Much less restrictive.

Oh yeah btw guys, are you also worried about this?

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/games/assassins-creed-unity.aspx

The pic second before last seems to depict the sewers... which looks like another pointless maze. Please god tell me they have something better in the sewers than a damn maze with a few guards.

I know the catacombs will probably be the meatier and more enjoyable experience but... I don't want them to just shove another pointless maze in the game.

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 04:01 AM
I have a good idea.. We all go on co op and we split up and round up as many guards as we can and we all meet back at a point somewhere in the map and fight them all.. Last man standing wins.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 04:04 AM
I have a good idea.. We all go on co op and we split up and round up as many guards as we can and we all meet back at a point somewhere in the map and fight them all.. Last man standing wins.

You just challenged a guy with no life breh, prepare to lose.

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 04:06 AM
You just challenged a guy with no life breh, prepare to lose.

Hehehehe while you 3 are fighting all the guards , I will run and hide and wait for them to finish you guys off then I will come in and kill the last guard and win!

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 04:10 AM
Hehehehe while you 3 are fighting all the guards , I will run and hide and wait for them to finish you guys off then I will come in and kill the last guard and win!

***** please, I'll have put so many hours into this **** by then I will ascend into enlightenment once again as I did with AC1 I shall be one with my rapier!

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 04:48 AM
We could play tag. :rolleyes:

And the catacombs look cool to me.

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 04:52 AM
One thing they have not confirmed is if you can take damage from other Co op players.. Say If i shoot Mayric's Assassin in the head with my pistol will she take damage?

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 04:52 AM
We could play tag. :rolleyes:

And the catacombs look cool to me.

There's almost no limit to the activities, we could set up stealth challenges, races, play our own version of the original hide and seek style MP without the killing, explore the catacombs together, kill absurd amounts of guards...

Quite frankly it's genius, I don't know why the didn't do it before, it's much more fun to create your own games than be stuck with specific game types. Imagine setting up a certain land mark as a base in one district and then having the three friends blend or hide and trying to find them, if you find them they can escape to base, use smoke bombs, rile up the crowd, attract guards... then obviously the base means they're safe from being caught but can't begin running toward it until they know you've spotted them.

Little things like that could be quite a bit of fun.

@Mani

I highly doubt it ;P but hey who knows.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 04:55 AM
I doubt we'll be able to even target other players.

Like when you try to kill NPCs who are important. The game wont let you highlight over them to shoot or attack. Most you can do is bump into each other me thinks.

I think the only time I got away with killing someone was when I killed Connor's best friend in the bow tutorial. Still hilarious the developers added that in.

@sesh

hide and seek wouldn't work because we have icons over our heads saying where we are.

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 04:57 AM
There's almost no limit to the activities, we could set up stealth challenges, races, play our own version of the original hide and seek style MP without the killing, explore the catacombs together, kill absurd amounts of guards...

Quite frankly it's genius, I don't know why the didn't do it before, it's much more fun to create your own games than be stuck with specific game types. Imagine setting up a certain land mark as a base in one district and then having the three friends blend or hide and trying to find them, if you find them they can escape to base, use smoke bombs, rile up the crowd, attract guards... then obviously the base means they're safe from being caught but can't begin running toward it until they know you've spotted them.

Little things like that could be quite a bit of fun.

@Mani

I highly doubt it ;P but hey who knows.

If horses are in the game we are horse racing you hear me!!!! If not then we can parkour across the map and the first person to get to the top of notre dame wins.. So many activities and self made fun by the players.

Sesheenku
I doubt we'll be able to even target other players.

Like when you try to kill NPCs who are important. The game wont let you highlight over them to shoot or attack. Most you can do is bump into each other me thinks.

I think the only time I got away with killing someone was when I killed Connor's best friend in the bow tutorial. Still hilarious the developers added that in.

@sesh

hide and seek wouldn't work because we have icons over our heads saying where we are.

Oh right, perhaps we can turn it off with HUD options though?

If horses are in the game we are horse racing you hear me!!!! If not then we can parkour across the map and the first person to get to the top of notre dame wins.. So many activities and self made fun by the players.

Exactly, I'd say it's a good trade for the old MP. I had insane amounts of fun challenging my friend in AC1 in SP alone so I know this will be exactly like that except better.

JustPlainQuirky
OMIGOSH HORSE RACING YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

And general parkour racing too!

so we have
-horse racing
-parkour racing
-king of the mountain

we need MOAR

race to assassinate someone first?

@sesh

maybe

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 05:02 AM
When the game gets more closer I will start a thread on all the activities we could do.

-Horse racing
-Parkour racing
-King of notre dame
-Last man standing (fight off as many guards as possible as a group and whoever dies last wins)
- Hide and seek (with guards)
-tag
- Round up as many guards as possible and escape and hide without climbing a roof.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 05:03 AM
OMIGOSH HORSE RACING YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

And general parkour racing too!

so we have
-horse racing
-parkour racing
-king of the mountain

we need MOAR

race to assassinate someone first?

@sesh

maybe

Well you already said tag too ;P then with all the ways you can force the crowd to interact you could really screw with your friends lol. Set up a base and see if you can get your friends before they reach it. Maybe it could be two it at a time in order to make it so it's not overly difficult.

EDIT - ****ing Ninja'd X}

We could also make the parkour races more specific, such as see who can reach the bottom or top of a building first, we could even combine them into marathons, ride the horse to the river, cross the river, climb the landmark in x district ;P

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 05:05 AM
I know how to push you off notre dame.. Somehow get powder kegs on there and shoot it to blow you off lol

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 05:09 AM
I know how to push you off notre dame.. Somehow get powder kegs on there and shoot it to blow you off lol

Could just make a game out of that one too, first one to hit the ground dead from the tallest tower of Notre Dame wins.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 05:26 AM
-Horse racing
-Parkour racing
-King of notre dame
-Last man standing (fight off as many guards as possible as a group and whoever dies last wins)
- Hide and seek (with guards)
-tag
- Round up as many guards as possible and escape and hide without climbing a roof.

Awesome.

How about a funniest death competition? :rolleyes:

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 05:32 AM
Awesome.

How about a funniest death competition? :rolleyes:

Hell yeah lol. Now that's a way to spark up some creativity!

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 06:22 AM
OH HOW COULD I FORGET

BEAR PUNCHING

Or if there is no punching option or bears...

Horse stabbing/shooting! or any animal killing :rolleyes:

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 06:24 AM
OH HOW COULD I FORGET

BEAR PUNCHING

Or if there is no punching option or bears...

Horse stabbing/shooting! or any animal killing :rolleyes:

Ah they haven't been any fun since 3 and 4, the last time we could slash up horses was ACB ;P provided they did allow it though that'd be interesting, give a time limit and see who can kill the most random animals in the city, bonus if it's something like chickens or pigs.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 06:29 AM
Ah you're right.

Darn it.

Maybe a game of finding the hottest NPC wife in the crowd, shooting her, and then picking her up to bring her to a judging area to see who picked the nicest wife? :rolleyes:

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 06:32 AM
Ah you're right.

Darn it.

Maybe a game of finding the hottest NPC wife in the crowd, shooting her, and then picking her up to bring her to a judging area to see who picked the nicest wife? :rolleyes:

Don't let the internet feminists see that lol.

I got this though!

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 06:33 AM
Ah you're right.

Darn it.

BAHAHAHAHA!! i can already see a new game off springing off of that, One must beat up their new wife and then carry her to a designated area on the other side of the map, and when you carry someone on your shoulder you can only jog and you are practically defenceless and the other 3 must defend him from guards until he gets to the haystack to chuck his new wife in.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 06:39 AM
Ok so games so far:

-tag
-hide n' seek (if icons can be turned off)
-king of notre dame (try ot knock each other off notre dame until you're the last one on)
-horse racing
-parkour racing
-last man standing (guard killing spree)
-guard chase (get a crowd of guards to follow you and escape before the others do)
-wife hunt (kill an npc you find the hottest. bring it to gathering area. judge to see which npc is hottest. person with hottest npc wins)
-body run (kill an npc and bring it to a designated area before others bring their npc to a designated area)
-fun death (kill yourself in the most creative way possible to win)

Anything else? :rolleyes:

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 06:52 AM
Ok so games so far:

-tag
-hide n' seek (if icons can be turned off)
-king of notre dame (try ot knock each other off notre dame until you're the last one on)
-horse racing
-parkour racing
-last man standing (guard killing spree)
-guard chase (get a crowd of guards to follow you and escape before the others do)
-wife hunt (kill an npc you find the hottest. bring it to gathering area. judge to see which npc is hottest. person with hottest npc wins)
-body run (kill an npc and bring it to a designated area before others bring their npc to a designated area)
-fun death (kill yourself in the most creative way possible to win)

Anything else? :rolleyes:

Socialite!

Go into a social club, the first to stealthily reach the target undetected and kill/subdue them is the winner!

Capture the district!

We pick two to three landmarks in a single district, two if necessary, you're allowed to take any path, the player who fails to reach an interior before the others loses.

LoyalACFan
06-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Yeah co-op is gonna make old MP look like ****. Much less restrictive.

Oh yeah btw guys, are you also worried about this?

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/games/assassins-creed-unity.aspx

The pic second before last seems to depict the sewers... which looks like another pointless maze. Please god tell me they have something better in the sewers than a damn maze with a few guards.

I know the catacombs will probably be the meatier and more enjoyable experience but... I don't want them to just shove another pointless maze in the game.

It's somewhat troubling if the entire catacomb system is that simplistic, but on the plus side, that pic confirms maces/war hammers will be in the game.

Edit- regarding being able to kill other players, bombs are apparently returning in this game (poison bombs are advertised in the Chemical Revolution thing). Wonder if you can kill other people with those.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 08:27 AM
It's somewhat troubling if the entire catacomb system is that simplistic, but on the plus side, that pic confirms maces/war hammers will be in the game.

Edit- regarding being able to kill other players, bombs are apparently returning in this game (poison bombs are advertised in the Chemical Revolution thing). Wonder if you can kill other people with those.

Oh no those are the sewers not the catacombs, don't worry lol they're separate places.

Still I don't want either of them to be so simple and dull.

OMG! Poison bombs? :D I looooooooved Datura bombs in ACR, people always say they never used bombs or that they're useless but I found plenty of use for them, a few types anyways and the poison bomb was one of the main ones.

Farlander1991
06-16-2014, 08:28 AM
So many discussions about accents on these forums, I'm not bothered by the lack of French accents at all.

LoyalACFan
06-16-2014, 10:24 AM
So many discussions about accents on these forums, I'm not bothered by the lack of French accents at all.

TBH I'm not bothered either. And I can totally see where he's coming from with the Hollywood statements; British seems to be the default accent for any period piece, while French is almost exclusively used for comic effect. Unfortunately that trend has definitely shaped my perception of French accents, and to this day even legit French accents sound like caricatures to me. Not sure how well I'd take to a game full of them. Italian never had that problem, since Italians are always cool in the movies (excluding the Jersey Shore type).

One thing that does kind of bother me, though, is that he really stresses in this interview that they take a lot of time to introduce us to Arno and get a feel for his character and personality. That's the exact opposite of what I was hoping for. I wanted him to become an Assassin pretty much right off the bat, filling in the backstory as we go (maybe even in flashbacks like Edward's memories of Caroline, or even unlockable "traumatized" missions like the Cristina ones that become available as we boost our sync rate). The last thing I want is to have three sequences of dad, four sequences of adopted dad, eight sequences of Arno before puberty, and thirty minutes of Assassin Arno :rolleyes:

Farlander1991
06-16-2014, 10:28 AM
One thing that does kind of bother me, though, is that he really stresses in this interview that they take a lot of time to introduce us to Arno and get a feel for his character and personality. That's the exact opposite of what I was hoping for. I wanted him to become an Assassin pretty much right off the bat, filling in the backstory as we go (maybe even in flashbacks like Edward's memories of Caroline, or even unlockable "traumatized" missions like the Cristina ones that become available as we boost our sync rate). The last thing I want is to have three sequences of dad, four sequences of adopted dad, eight sequences of Arno before puberty, and thirty minutes of Assassin Arno :rolleyes:

It's all very confusing, really. Because both him and the producer stressed how the game takes place between Storming of Bastielle and Reign of Terror end (1789-1794), and at the same time they talk about the story spanning decades and being epic. Maybe there's going to be one introductory sequence (a.l.a. Sequence 4 of AC3) spanning ages, maybe it's really going to be via flashbacks (which I feel is a much better way to do things, I would love the game to start with an assassination in Paris, though I think they confirmed that the game starts in Versailles? Assassination there is going to be fine too :D )

LoyalACFan
06-16-2014, 10:41 AM
It's all very confusing, really. Because both him and the producer stressed how the game takes place between Storming of Bastielle and Reign of Terror end (1789-1794), and at the same time they talk about the story spanning decades and being epic. Maybe there's going to be one introductory sequence (a.l.a. Sequence 4 of AC3) spanning ages, maybe it's really going to be via flashbacks (which I feel is a much better way to do things, I would love the game to start with an assassination in Paris, though I think they confirmed that the game starts in Versailles? Assassination there is going to be fine too :D )

Yeah, I really don't know. Unless they're going to pull another "play as the dad" thing, and after hearing about all of Arno's paternal drama that's looking rather likely. Since Arno was adopted, we could technically play as the adoptive father even after Arno was born, so maybe we'll be introduced to Arno through his eyes? I dunno.

Remember how they said AC3 was going to span from 1753-1783, but then said Connor wasn't born until 1756? That confused the hell out of everyone here, lol.

roostersrule2
06-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I really don't know. Unless they're going to pull another "play as the dad" thing, and after hearing about all of Arno's paternal drama that's looking rather likely. Since Arno was adopted, we could technically play as the adoptive father even after Arno was born, so maybe we'll be introduced to Arno through his eyes? I dunno.

Remember how they said AC3 was going to span from 1753-1783, but then said Connor wasn't born until 1756? That confused the hell out of everyone here, lol.Everyone knew when Forsaken was announced that we'd be playing as Haytham for a bit. When reviews came out it confirmed it, IGN's was really stupid. They were saying how there was a part early on in the game that they didn't want to spoil and then they went on to talk about the game opening in the London Theater.

LoyalACFan
06-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Everyone knew when Forsaken was announced that we'd be playing as Haytham for a bit. When reviews came out it confirmed it, IGN's was really stupid. They were saying how there was a part early on in the game that they didn't want to spoil and then they went on to talk about the game opening in the London Theater.

Well yeah, but the Forsaken synopsis didn't come out until many months later IIRC.

roostersrule2
06-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Well yeah, but the Forsaken synopsis didn't come out until many months later IIRC.From what I recall it was a month or two after, though the "we play as his father" was a popular theory beforehand.

I just hope for a really good story.

deskp
06-16-2014, 11:04 AM
People knwo they can just switch the language in the game to french and put on english subtitles right? no need for accents.

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 11:06 AM
People knwo they can just switch the language in the game to french and put on english subtitles right? no need for accents.

:rolleyes:

m4r-k7
06-16-2014, 11:07 AM

Im the complete opposite. The one thing I loved about AC 3 was that you played as Connor from a child to an adult. I find story telling much more immersive if it is done in a more longitudinal fashion. I don't want to spend more than 2 hours on his childhood, but a few missions showing us his origin story would be awesome.

LoyalACFan
06-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Im the complete opposite. The one thing I loved about AC 3 was that you played as Connor from a child to an adult. I find story telling much more immersive if it is done in a more longitudinal fashion. I don't want to spend more than 2 hours on his childhood, but a few missions showing us his origin story would be awesome.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I want to see his backstory too, but it needs to be paced out a hell of a lot better than AC3 was. Literally, more than HALF of AC3 was prologue.

deskp
06-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I want to see his backstory too, but it needs to be paced out a hell of a lot better than AC3 was. Literally, more than HALF of AC3 was prologue.
Yeah, but in ac3 Haytham was the problem with the pacing. no haytam and it would have worked out better. even thoy haytham stuff was not bad in itself.

Farlander1991
06-16-2014, 11:16 AM
The problem with AC3 is pacing. It started with Haytham - in a very slow tutorial in Seq 1, then went on to a still tutorially Seq 2 (elements of certain missions), then we had a do what you want Seq 3, then we get to Connor and AGAIN in a heavily tutorially Seq 4, and then we get to Seq 5 and it's a tutorial sequence slower than Seq 1 (there are only two normal missions in the whole sequence I feel - Boston Massacre and River Rescue, everything else is tutorial for shops, homestead, ships, whatnot). And then we get to Sequence 6 which STILL has introductory missions (i.e. The Angry Chef where we're introduced with recruiting and controlling new assassins). By all means what's Sequence 6 now should've been Sequence 4 at most.

jdowny
06-16-2014, 11:32 AM

It's weird, the only thing that bothered me was his slight northern accent. He says FrANCE instead of FrARnce. Surprisingly, Altair's American accent never bothered me either, but I think this was mainly because his Arabic was entirely authentic and really beautiful. So I guess as long as the voice actor speaks convincing French at times I'll be happy. Alex Amancio's French pronunciations during the E3 demo for instance, lent a strong sense of authority for me. Proper pronunciation of Notre Dame and Palais de Justice was appreciated.

I'm not that bothered by the introductory sequences as long as they fit in and aren't too long (looking at you AC III). AC II's introduction was perfect. You started off with a brawl on the Ponte Vecchio before a rooftop run. Following missions involved collecting things, beating people up, delivering things, all of which was fun in a city like Florence. It gave the player enough time to learn the ropes without too much pressure and without holding their hand too much. Besides, Ezio felt like an assassin from the beginning of the game for me. You got the sense that the transition from playboy to assassin was pretty seamless for him, because his friends and his brother presumably spent their time messing about, climbing the roofs, running away from guards.

AC III on the other hand was marred by a lot of serious dialogue, restricting missions in opera houses, on boats and in forests playing hide and seek. It was a long time before you felt you could do what you wanted.

Wait what? I knew you could do those two things separately but not together. Are you sure? From what I recall, once you change the language, the subtitles will only be in that language. I wanted that authenticity too.

rob.davies2014
06-16-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm so annoyed at this! Not just because it feels weird but it seems like such a silly thing to do!
If it wasn't for the issue with the accents then everything about Unity would be amazing! It's only one thing but it was so avoidable!
It was a foolish decision and the reasons given for it are unsatisfactory. As a British person, British accents don't sound archaic at all, they just sound normal. And I can here people with accents from different parts of England... How does that make sense?

I just wish in the next couple of months, they re-record the dialogue with French accents (obviously not going to happen). I hope this isn't repeated with later games.

And they're a French company! This is the game where they should have nailed the dialogue!!

roostersrule2
06-16-2014, 12:59 PM
I think in the long run it'll be a logical decision but right now, thinking about it, it seems rather daft.

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 01:02 PM
I am going to blatantly say Im sick of hearing british accents.. they are common.. plain and boring... and an easy way out to please all audiences.. I would prefer a monotone Altair voice honestly.. Give us some Culture for christ sake.. give us some unique variety!!

roostersrule2
06-16-2014, 01:07 PM
I am going to blatantly say Im sick of hearing british accents.. they are common.. plain and boring... and an easy way out to please all audiences.. I would prefer a monotone Altair voice honestly.. Give us some Culture for christ sake.. give us some unique variety!!Lets go to Greece then?

As CEO of Yoobeesof Games I announce that the 2015 Assassins Creed game will be set in Ancient Greece.

rob.davies2014
06-16-2014, 01:09 PM
I am going to blatantly say Im sick of hearing british accents.. they are common.. plain and boring... and an easy way out to please all audiences.. I would prefer a monotone Altair voice honestly.. Give us some Culture for christ sake.. give us some unique variety!!

British accents are fine if they suit the person who is talking (I really liked Haytham's voice actor). They are inappropriate for the population of Paris.

deskp
06-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Wait what? I knew you could do those two things separately but not together. Are you sure? From what I recall, once you change the language, the subtitles will only be in that language. I wanted that authenticity too.

I'm sure you can do that in the current game. Just go try it yourself in black flag.

video options has subtitle options, and sound options menu has the spoken language settings.

killzab
06-16-2014, 01:21 PM
To those saying french accents would be too hard to understand ... there are several "levels " of accents you know, from very thick to very subtle.

They could've made it subtle while still keeping the french flavour.

I know I had a pretty thick accent when I arrived in the USA 2 years ago, but by the time I left 5 months later my accent was much more subtle and people could understand me fine.

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Lets go to Greece then?

As CEO of Yoobeesof Games I announce that the 2015 Assassins Creed game will be set in Ancient Greece.

OMG greece would be my dream..

rob.davies2014
06-16-2014, 01:31 PM
I'm guessing the Marquis de Lafayette won't be turning up then... Because if he does that's going to be extremely weird, having him speak with a French accent in AC3 and a British one in Unity.

Locopells
06-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Bear in mind he's speaking English to Connor, so naturally he has the accent - if he's in Unity, he'll be speaking French, so will probably have the same accent as everyone else...

Shahkulu101
06-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Bear in mind he's speaking English to Connor, so naturally he has the accent - if he's in Unity, he'll be speaking French, so will probably have the same accent as everyone else...

Fried my brain a bit, but I grasp it.

So the animus translation software is just doing it's job rather well?

Locopells
06-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Pretty much.

LoyalACFan
06-16-2014, 01:48 PM

So if Connor shows up and attempts to speak French, he'll have a hardcore American Larry the Cable Guy accent? :rolleyes::p

Locopells
06-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Do wonder how they'd handle a Connor appearance. Probably be a bit like ACR, where it wasn't always clear what language was being used.

Farlander1991
06-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Well... Connor kinda doesn't know French, so he'll speak in his native language and Arno will be 'I don't know what the **** you're saying' :p

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 02:06 PM
>Connor shows up

Connor: I'm here to help. What do you need?

Arno: Salut Connor. Avez-vous un voyage en toute sécurité?

Connor: Uh no. No I don't need to use the bathroom.

deskp
06-16-2014, 02:13 PM
I'm guessing the Marquis de Lafayette won't be turning up then... Because if he does that's going to be extremely weird, having him speak with a French accent in AC3 and a British one in Unity.

Most people don't even remember Lafayette was in AC3 and less so waht he sounded like.

killzab
06-16-2014, 02:14 PM
>Connor shows up

Connor: I'm here to help. What do you need?

Arno: Bonjour Connor, avez-vous voyagé en toute sécurité ?

Connor: Uh no. No I don't need to use the bathroom.

fixed :)

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Took 4 years of french and still can't write a basic sentence. Woo me.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-16-2014, 02:31 PM
I can't imagine them using a different accent for Lafayette. I hope they keep the one they used in AC3. Very authentic.

TheHumanTowel
06-16-2014, 02:37 PM
I can't imagine them using a different accent for Lafayette. I hope they keep the one they used in AC3. Very authentic.
It would be strange if he's the only person in France with a French accent

RatonhnhakeFan
06-16-2014, 02:45 PM
So based on on what Alex said... we're playing a gamer sitting at home playing Unity in modern day on some Animus-like console right? Basically there's no other option :confused:

Legendz54
06-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Hey at least the gaming room is free roam able.. right guys.,,, who's excited?

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Yo dawg, I heard you like videogames. So we put a videogame in your videogame so you could play while you play.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-16-2014, 02:50 PM
It would be strange if he's the only person in France with a French accent

But I like his accent soooo muchhhhh <3 D: Maybe they'll fix that but I'll always have my doubts.

So based on on what Alex said... we're playing a gamer sitting at home playing Unity in modern day on some Animus-like console right? Basically there's no other option :confused:

Sounds that way, doesnt it lol

@Mayrice

Nice one lol

RatonhnhakeFan
06-16-2014, 02:57 PM
Also, lol at "we're starting kinda fresh, you'll be learning about assassins". Yeah, forget about big battels with Juno, modern day plot will likely move slower than ever

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 02:59 PM
I think the modern day will be like AC IV's. Just a tease of Juno and her affect on the world with absolutely no ways of stopping her. Because we are a floating invisible entity.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-16-2014, 03:04 PM
I think all this may mean that there will be no modern day levels of any kind. Just Animus (helix) menus, hacks etc. I mean what they're gonna do, make a level of a modern day average house? Even if, that would mean we're playing some defined gamer character, not us, actual US. So bascially, Liberation deal.

JustPlainQuirky
06-16-2014, 03:10 PM
No they did confirm there is modern day.

rob.davies2014
06-16-2014, 11:47 PM
mmmm... just listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIWSlZ8_Um4
It feels so much cooler watching the video of revolutionary Paris with a French narrator speaking over it. And then you hear "It is time for the Marquis to pay" in that out-of-place English accent and it kills the mood :nonchalance:
I don't understand why they did this :confused:

Get that guy to voice Arno! Problem solved!

Just found this video showing how much effort they put into getting the accents right for AC3; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q0znuk_5vk

Black_Widow9
06-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Nice work! :D

Dome500
06-17-2014, 06:54 PM
mmmm... just listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIWSlZ8_Um4
It feels so much cooler watching the video of revolutionary Paris with a French narrator speaking over it. And then you hear "It is time for the Marquis to pay" in that out-of-place English accent and it kills the mood :nonchalance:
I don't understand why they did this :confused:

Get that guy to voice Arno! Problem solved!

Just found this video showing how much effort they put into getting the accents right for AC3; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q0znuk_5vk

I don't mind Arno having no french accent, you can explain that with him having grown up to speak English from the get-go or having and English mother/father or relative or growing up in an English-speaking society because the family was... what the hell do I know...a family of merchants, bankers, etc?

But nobody speaking French... I mean come on...
No English in French accents, no native French (like Native Italy in AC2 or American Slang and Royal English and French in AC3) ?

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 07:33 PM
I don't mind Arno having no french accent, you can explain that with him having grown up to speak English from the get-go or having and English mother/father or relative or growing up in an English-speaking society because the family was... what the hell do I know...a family of merchants, bankers, etc?

But nobody speaking French... I mean come on...
No English in French accents, no native French (like Native Italy in AC2 or American Slang and Royal English and French in AC3) ?

They still have French words thrown in just like when Arno attacks that old man in the social club.

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 08:15 PM
The 'you can't hear French accent because you are French" logic makes sense; people tell me I have an 'Indian' accent when I interact with some foreign friends for example, but I absolutely don't notice this accent while speaking with my native friends in English.

Problem is, if this was true, how were we hearing Italian accents as Ezio? or middle eastern twang on people and soldier's words as Altair?
Logic is fine, only that it's not consistent with the rest of the series.

I think it's a cover excuse for "we didn't use French accent cuz it sounded too funny/heavy" which is a shame. French Revolution with French accent is like chicken sandwiches without chicken. Italian accent sounded funny to me as well, so I doubt this would have been any worse.

deskp
06-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Consistensy isnt a thing.. i mean things eveolve and change, they might take note of our reacctions after the game is out and see if theyll do differently for future games or not.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 09:30 PM
I always loved when the guards said "Eccolo get heeeem!" in AC2 and ACB.

Dunno if that's the word but it sounded like that lol.

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Yes me too.

Also: Do you know what we do to capone like you? We bring out Bruno the donkey.

Man, I used to bump into guards all the time just to listen to the fun stuff they had to say.

rob.davies2014
06-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Consistensy isnt a thing.. i mean things eveolve and change, they might take note of our reacctions after the game is out and see if theyll do differently for future games or not.

I hope they go back to the way it used to be, instead of just giving everyone British accents from now on.

They'll lose the cultural spice that makes the franchise awesome!

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 10:44 PM
I hope they go back to the way it used to be, instead of just giving everyone British accents from now on.

They'll lose the cultural spice that makes the franchise awesome!

I've liked practically every French accent in the games already too... wth lol. Lafayette's, Stephane's, Baron De Valois.. All very great accents that were perfectly easy to understand too. There's little excuse for them to not add it.

That said, I like Arno's accent now.

Wolfmeister1010
06-18-2014, 01:16 AM
Anybody know if that IGN "Making of Unity" is weekly?

JustPlainQuirky
06-18-2014, 01:28 AM
If it was weekly I would have seen it on IGN. I visit it daily so...

Legendz54
06-18-2014, 08:33 AM
http://youtu.be/xiPTHceK3Rg

SixKeys
06-18-2014, 03:30 PM
http://youtu.be/xiPTHceK3Rg

Sounds like the demo they're describing is the exact same one they showed on stage. Kinda weird they weren't allowed to film it.

Legendz54
06-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Posting interviews here for anyone looking for as much info as they can get.

http://youtu.be/DRsF_6b_7BE

http://youtu.be/cxHjwpF9mAI