PDA

View Full Version : No Guards on Rooftops in AC:U?

GreySkellig
06-14-2014, 05:06 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/e3-2014-assassin-creed-unity-killer-article-1.1828582

The penultimate paragraph of this article mentions "You’ll also notice an absence of enemies on rooftops, allowing you to run across them with greater fluidity." Has anyone seen this confirmed anywhere else (i.e. an actual gaming news outlet)?

I'd certainly be happy if it was true. I feel like rooftop guards were much less of an impediment back in ACII-AC:R days. Certainly they were out of control in AC3, where the only way to traverse the rooftops without picking up a dozen pursuers was to run without stopping from A to B.

king-hailz
06-14-2014, 05:10 PM
I think its true... but i kinda liked it back in the ACR days and before but i guess they can be annoying!

Kirokill
06-14-2014, 05:14 PM
I think it was on UbiBlog too. It said something like "we made the rooftops the assassin grounds, which to give more freedom, there will be no guards patrolling them".

GreySkellig
06-14-2014, 05:16 PM
The reason it seems plausible to me is that we haven't seen any rooftop guards yet in the demos.

I liked the way they functioned in the Ezio storyline, where they were a factor to plan around. But that largely worked because the skyline of those cities was fairly level, and you could usually see them well before you reached them.

I've also always felt it was a bit silly historically speaking. These cities were not prison camps. They didn't have rooftop archers and gunners overseeing every block.

GreySkellig
06-14-2014, 05:18 PM
I think it was on UbiBlog too. It said something like "we made the rooftops the assassin grounds, which to give more freedom, there will be no guards patrolling them".

Link?

JustPlainQuirky
06-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Good.

Less killing guards for doing their job.

Megas_Doux
06-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Good.

Less killing guards for doing their job.

Poor guards

http://xboxoz360.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/assassins-creed-2-oxcgn-6.jpg

Shahkulu101
06-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Yeah I felt guilty in Venice especially, where every two seconds I was pouncing on a poor archer and plunging my blade into his poor neck... But eventually I got too annoyed with them and bought a mace just so I could scope out every archer and bash their heads in.

Free running uninterrupted will be liberating.

egriffin09
06-14-2014, 05:33 PM
I don't mind guards on the rooftops, but do it in a way that AC 2 did it, in that free running on the rooftops was still fun. But rooftops without guards is even better.

Sesheenku
06-14-2014, 06:30 PM
I can't remember which source I saw it but they're definitely gone. I actually believe it's in the new section of Ubi's ACU page.

I'm glad to have them gone, it got severely annoying in Venice, they were crawling everywhere, nearly every damn roof there was an archer that needed to be killed.

Don't even get me started on the atrocity that is AC3.

Good riddance to that nonsensical feature. It'd be like making a realistic game where you're a fish under the ocean and somehow a human in nothing but a bathing suit is on the ocean floor to catch and eat you.

It served little purpose other than to annoy you to bits.

deskp
06-14-2014, 06:40 PM
sometimes they might make sense. but as an overall thing they get annoying and weird.

Mr_Shade
06-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Also some of the buildings are VERY high.. so I wouldn't want to be guarding them..

pirate1802
06-14-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm in two minds about this.

On one hand it'll be certainly less annoying to see guards go in alert mode as soon as you climb the rooftops, I also see a potential gamebreaker. Chased by guards? Just parkour up!

Hopefully there'll be some sort to deterrence against this, maybe guards from street level will chase you to rooftops when pursuing you. Don't want it to be Watch Dogs all over again where you could simply escape any police by going for the sea.

Shahkulu101
06-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Also some of the buildings are VERY high.. so I wouldn't want to be guarding them..

Always thought it was weird that there were guards atop the massive Florence Cathedral. What on Earth are they doing up there? There's nothing to guard lol

Sesheenku
06-14-2014, 07:00 PM

On one hand it'll be certainly less annoying to see guards go in alert mode as soon as you climb the rooftops, I also see a potential gamebreaker. Chased by guards? Just parkour up!

Hopefully there'll be some sort to deterrence against this, maybe guards from street level will chase you to rooftops when pursuing you. Don't want it to be Watch Dogs all over again where you could simply escape any police by going for the sea.

To be honest I didn't think it made sense for regular guards to be able to do parkour.

The only factions that should have parkour training are Templar guards and Assassins.

That said they should just place a fair amount of Templar guards around the city that can chase you on rooftops.

lothario-da-be
06-14-2014, 07:01 PM
I hope the biggest part of the city doesn't have guards on the rooftops, they can be pretty anoying, but sometimes quickly killing 1 or 2 guards on the rooftops can be nice and it gives you the feeling that you are the master there, at least in ac1-ac4. In ac3 they were just annoying. A mix of guards and no guards is the best imo.

dxsxhxcx
06-14-2014, 07:16 PM

I agree and I'm also divided with this one, I didn't like AC3's guards but IMO AC1/2 guards (the ones I remember most) were fine, what's the point in change the combat system to make it harder to the point that sometimes you might have to flee a battle to survive if this danger will be gone at the moment you reach the rooftops?

I don't mind to have guards in the rooftops as long as kill them without being detected is an option, something that was impossible to achieve in AC3 as far as I can remember

Sesheenku
06-14-2014, 07:20 PM
I agree and I'm also divided with this one, I didn't like AC3's guards but IMO AC1/2 guards (the ones I remember most) were fine, what's the point in change the combat system to make it harder to the point that sometimes you might have to flee a battle to survive if this danger will be gone at the moment you reach the rooftops?

I don't mind to have guards in the rooftops as long as kill them without being detected is an option, something that was impossible to achieve in AC3 as far as I can remember

We need to know if the guards can give chase onto rooftops before we make assumptions.

Sushiglutton
06-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Interesting. I def like it in some ways. I think it's more realistic for one. Also I agree that the rooftops should feel like the assassins domain and being able to run around freely will be awesome when you are in exploration mood. On the other hand sneaking up on rooftop guards is kind of enjoyable. This is one of those thing you really have to play to know for sure because it depends so much oin how various elements are balanced I feel.

DinoSteve1
06-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Roof top guards where ridiculous, they'd run after me for just standing there and beside me would be a pack of thieves.

ShoryukenMan
06-14-2014, 07:44 PM
One of my favorite things to do in AC2/Brotherhood was to walk up to one of the guards on the roof, grab them with my fists, and chuck them off the roof. Watching them fall to their end was so... satisfying.

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 07:46 PM
They were absolute annoying as hell, they were always on every corner, and i could never go anywhere without getting shot at…

Good riddance.

Dome500
06-14-2014, 07:51 PM
To be honest I didn't think it made sense for regular guards to be able to do parkour.

The only factions that should have parkour training are Templar guards and Assassins.

That said they should just place a fair amount of Templar guards around the city that can chase you on rooftops.

To be honest, the regular guards never did Parkour. They only were climbing.
They couldn't scale a wall, they could only hop from one object to the next and they were slower then you.
So yes, I think it MADE sense.

I am also hoping that enemies will be able to follow and/or shoot you from the streets when you are climbing on a roof, and also that sometimes they can detect you from the street or that there are some balcony-guards on mid-level over the street level but below the roof level.

That way we keep the roofs Guard-free while not making it too easy or boring.

Hans684
06-14-2014, 08:11 PM

I've done it a lot in 3, the first time was magical because the A.I is telepathic. It was challenging, been doing it ever since. Their positions is like a little Assassin Simulator if you are able to be stealthy.

Sesheenku
06-14-2014, 09:49 PM
To be honest, the regular guards never did Parkour. They only were climbing.
They couldn't scale a wall, they could only hop from one object to the next and they were slower then you.
So yes, I think it MADE sense.

I am also hoping that enemies will be able to follow and/or shoot you from the streets when you are climbing on a roof, and also that sometimes they can detect you from the street or that there are some balcony-guards on mid-level over the street level but below the roof level.

That way we keep the roofs Guard-free while not making it too easy or boring.

I disagree, I'm quite confident as a normal person that if I tried to hop across thin wooden stick, I'd lose balance and smack my face on the subsequent stick and then fall off. Regular guards are not trained to do such things.

Templars are, the best solution is to make Templar grunts prevalent and indeed allow them to give chase to you.

I've done it a lot in 3, the first time was magical because the A.I is telepathic. It was challenging, been doing it ever since. Their positions is like a little Assassin Simulator if you are able to be stealthy.

I'm pretty sure they sent out some sort of patch to it cause the second time I played the AI was less telepathic. I could for example have a fight on the roof without the entire god damned city being somehow alerted even though I'm like three stories up and impossible to see.

I even did the HMS Jersey mission with less hassle and that was one of the parts I utterly despised in AC3.

Now that the detection seems fixed I found it to be one of the greatest moments in the game, you have a big ship, you pick your entry point and take out a guard and then slowly plan how to remove the rest of the guards as you make your way to the target.

It was extremely satisfying to do it entirely undetected on my first attempt unlike when the game came out and they seemed to have the power to see through bloody wood.

Hans684
06-14-2014, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty sure they sent out some sort of patch to it cause the second time I played the AI was less telepathic. I could for example have a fight on the roof without the entire god damned city being somehow alerted even though I'm like three stories up and impossible to see.

I even did the HMS Jersey mission with less hassle and that was one of the parts I utterly despised in AC3.

Now that the detection seems fixed I found it to be one of the greatest moments in the game, you have a big ship, you pick your entry point and take out a guard and then slowly plan how to remove the rest of the guards as you make your way to the target.

It was extremely satisfying to do it entirely undetected on my first attempt unlike when the game came out and they seemed to have the power to see through bloody wood.

If a patch is a form of after-release-online-accessble-mini DLC then I have not done it with a patch.

Sesheenku
06-14-2014, 10:31 PM
If a patch is a form of after-release-online-accessble-mini DLC then I have not done it with a patch.

Consoles patch everything automatically.

PC's patch through UPLAY and so it's made quite clear that a patch is available.

AC3 has been patched from a version 1 to a version 1.06 so yeah.

PS3 either stopped at 1.05 or also got their version of 1.06 I can't remember. Sometimes a version is platform specific to fix platform specific problems.

Sigv4rd
06-14-2014, 10:48 PM

Perhaps they will use the interiors to reach the rooftops more quickly?

Dome500
06-15-2014, 06:25 PM
I disagree, I'm quite confident as a normal person that if I tried to hop across thin wooden stick, I'd lose balance and smack my face on the subsequent stick and then fall off. Regular guards are not trained to do such things.

Templars are, the best solution is to make Templar grunts prevalent and indeed allow them to give chase to you.

Yes but then they have to establish Ladders again so enemies can actively follow you. Otherwise every chase will be boring, expect enemies can see you from the ground and shoot you.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-15-2014, 06:29 PM
I sure hope so. They're nothing but pointless annoyance

m4r-k7
06-15-2014, 06:32 PM
I didn;t mind rooftop guards until AC 3 and AC 4 where they had guns that hit you 99% of the time even if you tried to dodge them. Especially, in AC 3 they saw you too easily. What I loved about AC 2 were the parkour able guards who could run up buildings and chase you. I also loved that about AC 1 where they actually chased you for quite a long time on rooftops as it made you think of the best places to free run etc. Unfortunately, after AC 2 there were very little chases as guards lost you after about 5 seconds on buildings.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Yeah, they not only increased number of rooftop guards in AC3 but the fact that the city is much less dense only makes it harder to avoid them.

Dome500
06-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Yeah, they not only increased number of rooftop guards in AC3 but the fact that the city is much less dense only makes it harder to avoid them.

Yeah, then add the bigger distance from one building to the next and your slowed down parkour because of that and you have a formula for annoying rooftop guards.

To summarize what I think:

It is a good idea to remove rooftop guards, but:

- Have some balcony guards with ladders up to the roofs
- Have guards actucally shoot your and detect you from the street if you are not out of LoS or too high
- Have guards actually FOLLOW you on the roofs vial ladders or other methods
- Have special Templar enemies be able to parkour or free-run/climb as well so they can follow you

Then I'm fine.

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 08:45 PM
I mean, i would love guards with rifles to all line up on a balcony and do a volley, that would be brilliant to see.

Sesheenku
06-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Yeah, then add the bigger distance from one building to the next and your slowed down parkour because of that and you have a formula for annoying rooftop guards.

- Have guards actucally shoot your and detect you from the street if you are not out of LoS or too high
- Have special Templar enemies be able to parkour or free-run/climb as well so they can follow you

Then I'm fine.

Perfection.

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Oh my god Parkour soldiers is the best idea ever.

Would be like a mini-boss fight in open world.

Sushiglutton
06-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Oh my god Parkour soldiers is the best idea ever.

Would be like a mini-boss fight in open world.

Sounds awesome^^^^. No normal guard would be able to follow Arno for long after he made a controlled descent. The templars need to have special agents throughout the city hunting assassins or something.

Hans684
06-15-2014, 09:09 PM

Then I'm fine.

Suggested something like that before, you have to use every core pillar to take one out. Not combat/navigation/stealth only but every pillar.

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Someone send that idea to ubi right now.

Mr_Shade get on it. :rolleyes:

jdowny
06-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Ha, this was another thing on my wish list. This might go a small way to making up for optional objectives if they're included.

UniteUnderPower
06-16-2014, 02:44 AM
I think a good trade-off would be to tweak the line of detection on street-level guards where if you're at the right line of site on a rooftop; You could be seen if the guards on street-level get a good enough view of you for a certain period of time. I know guards could sometimes sight you from street level in more recent games, but buildings will be bigger this time around. This would make it so it isn't SUPER easy for players to traverse the city and pick off guards 1 by 1 from the rooftops.

phoenix-force411
06-16-2014, 07:20 AM
Rooftop guards were the most P.O.S. enemies in ACIII and ACIV: BF. You have no idea how annoying it was to try and parkour, only to stop and be bothered by some stupid guard who has zero tolerance for someone who wishes to do acrobatics. ACIV: BF had the most annoying rooftop guards. Their L.O.S. was very far, and trying to "human shield" their bullets while fighting enemies was hard to multi-task give the situation. Regardless, they will miss you 0% of the time.

SpiritMuse
06-17-2014, 02:00 AM
It always felt to me nonsensical to have a guard on every rooftop. But then, there are ridiculous amounts of guards everywhere, especially in BF. I mean, what, 12 guards to guard a single warehouse? Doesn't exactly strike me as cost effective, paying all those salaries! Plus every street corner had at least 4 guards on it, on both sides of the street, and then there were the groups patrolling... Made it really hard to escape combat as you'd only pick up more pursuers wherever you ran to. Much easier to just stand in place and murder the lot.

I'll be glad to see the rooftop guards gone. I can understand it if they're specifically guarding an important building, person or object, but most of the time there's just no reason for them to be up there.

Perk89
06-17-2014, 04:08 AM
I've begged for years for them to remove them because of how annoying and impractical it was, so now that it's finally arrived I can't believe I'm saying this-but having guards appear on rooftops as a consequence of getting really high notoriety (or whatever evolution is present) would actually be a solid step towards making notoriety a bigger deal. Only at the really high levels though.

im also sure there will still be some present in sealed off areas and certain plot moments (which is alright)

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 04:13 AM
crobatics. ACIV: BF had the most annoying rooftop guards. Their L.O.S. was very far, and trying to "human shield" their bullets while fighting enemies was hard to multi-task give the situation. Regardless, they will miss you 0% of the time.

Kicking rooftops guards off the roofs was my favourite pastime in Havana. that **** was hilarious

Ureh
06-17-2014, 04:55 AM
@SpiritMuse Most warehouses had slaves as well, so they were guarding them too.
---

Btw, did anyone ever really use the corpses of rooftop guards to distract the ones on the ground? I rarely use corpses as a distraction... usually only for fun or to try out different approaches to a mission.

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 05:14 AM
Oh man, I'm gonna miss kicking those guards and watching with satisfaction at the commotion down below. people running off etc

Locopells
06-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Favourite way of killing them for me is to throw them off...

'Hey let go of me!'

'As you wish...'

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Favourite way of killing them for me is to throw them off...

'Hey let go of me!'

'As you wish...'

In earlier AC's it's also capable to kill them with just fists, just before they draw their weapon just start beating the crap out of them lol.

Dome500
06-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Yeah it's like that scene in Mass Effect 2 where Shepard just throws that Merc out of the building... :D

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Yeah it's like that scene in Mass Effect 2 where Shepard just throws that Merc out of the building... :D

Wasn't it awesome. I reloaded a save five times just to do that.

Dome500
06-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Wasn't it awesome. I reloaded a save five times just to do that.

It was ingenious ;)

I love Renegade Shep.

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 07:39 PM
It was ingenious ;)

I love Renegade Shep.

http://i.imgur.com/Jtvs1.jpg

Me too :3

Dome500
06-17-2014, 07:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Jtvs1.jpg

Me too :3

What the hell is up with Those Illusive Man eyes? oO

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 07:54 PM
What the hell is up with Those Illusive Man eyes? oO

Holy crap she has Mangekyo Sharingan! Run damn it!

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 07:57 PM
le mods.

Bashilir
06-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Yay so no more standing on a ledge of a rooftop and overlooking a building I need to enter and then hearing : "GET DOWN FROM DERE, I SHOOT YOU FOO'."
This is very good news.
My only thought is, since this is during the French Revolution, and there were huge crowds, you'd think there would be rooftop guards, to you know, keep crowd control?

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Yay so no more standing on a ledge of a rooftop and overlooking a building I need to enter and then hearing : "GET DOWN FROM DERE, I SHOOT YOU FOO'."
This is very good news.
My only thought is, since this is during the French Revolution, and there were huge crowds, you'd think there would be rooftop guards, to you know, keep crowd control?

It's always been unrealistic, have you ever heard in history about some monarchs army of rooftop archers? I haven't lol.

Dome500
06-17-2014, 10:04 PM
It's always been unrealistic, have you ever heard in history about some monarchs army of rooftop archers? I haven't lol.

Well, in the middle ages and early renaissance rooftop archers were often use to defend a ctiy in case of attacks to be honest.
Later on, less and less.