PDA

View Full Version : Will Unity be Grittier, Gorier, and more Brutal?.

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Hi there guys, first post from a lurker.

So, the assassins creed series has well, pretty brutal death scenes…but they aren't that gory, and then there is the overall setting..they don't seem to be gritty to me.

But now Unity has been shown, it looks pretty damn gritty and chaotic (of course, its the French revolution), and especially at the end of the new Co-op demo, in which the Marqui is thrown out a 2 story window, gets punched, and then decapitated by a swordsman who then sticks his head on spike, along with other aristocrats.

I think this is brilliant, as i always thought past Assassins creeds felt a bit too cartoony with gore and such, because the things the assassins did were only met with a little spurt of red liquid. But this time it shows the true recorded brutality of these timelines, like the end of the demo..which reminded me of this.
http://i.imgur.com/JduufDo.jpg

And then there is the setting, when i saw the gameplay..i saw a almost les miserables vibe, rubbish strewn cobbled streets with houses decorated with makeshift bloody rags, and executions from the guillotine (which will be randomly generated i think), creating a chaotic, bloody feeling.

So, what do you think about this?.

Legendz54
06-14-2014, 01:50 PM
I think so...
http://oi60.tinypic.com/1z6hc15.jpg

Didn't expect this level of gore hahah, I will admit the way they portrayed him as still alive and his eyes twitching kind of traumatised me.

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 01:53 PM
I think so...
http://oi60.tinypic.com/1z6hc15.jpg

Didn't expect this level of gore hahah, I will admit the way they portrayed him as still alive and his eyes twitching kind of traumatised me.

Yeah, i liked it thoug…

Kinda played on the myth which was popular in the reign of terror, in which the head stayed alive for a minute after beheading, and that the reason the executioner held the head up, was not because the audience could see, but so the victim saw the crowd at the end…:D

Pretty damn awesome.

Legendz54
06-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Yea they also conducted experiments and one where they told the man to blink after being beheaded and after he was beheaded he blinked at the observer and when the observer called out to the head and it's eyes looked directly at his and did this 3 times.

I agree they have captured the right atmosphere and really gets you in the mood of what the game is going to be like.. Don't remember seeing something that brutal since the breaking of the knees in AC1.. there was the hanging in AC2 but you only saw that for a second before it cut away.

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Yea they also conducted experiments and one where they told the man to blink after being beheaded and after he was beheaded he blinked at the observer and when the observer called out to the head and it's eyes looked directly at his and did this 3 times.

I agree they have captured the right atmosphere and really gets you in the mood of what the game is going to be like.. Don't remember seeing something that brutal since the breaking of the knees in AC1.. there was the hanging in AC2 but you only saw that for a second before it cut away.
Yeah, the hanging scene kinda disappointed me (i know I'm sick lol)

Guillotines look pretty gory too, and pretty damn awkward aswell..watching the blokes head getting hanged in front of the crowd is pretty eerie…and then when the Marqui gets killled, the singing in the background kinda chills me a bit.

I also think that the killing of the Swiss guards will be pretty gruesome too.

jayjay275
06-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Personally, gore should be present in the game. It suits the period very well and it makes the game feel more immersive and real.
Plus, I thought the picture above was a female.... :o

m4r-k7
06-14-2014, 02:21 PM
I think the cutscenes and overall brutality of the events that occur will be much greater than previous games. However, I think the combat will be the same in terms of blood. For example, in the demo the blood effects etc looked exactly like they were in AC 3 + AC 4 although the blood did seem to always effect the environment which was awesome! I actually think the first AC was the most brutal (until maybe now!)

pirate1802
06-14-2014, 02:23 PM

Seriously?

http://i.imgur.com/AdmgIgQ.png

Legendz54
06-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Seriously?

http://i.imgur.com/AdmgIgQ.png

Yep Lol also this happened in about a 10-30 second time span after that the head stopped responding and its eyes rolled back (Dead) .. This is documented and this happened in the french revolution.

deskp
06-14-2014, 02:38 PM
SO far what we've seen from the demos looks good.

MasterAssasin84
06-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Hi there guys, first post from a lurker.

So, the assassins creed series has well, pretty brutal death scenes…but they aren't that gory, and then there is the overall setting..they don't seem to be gritty to me.

But now Unity has been shown, it looks pretty damn gritty and chaotic (of course, its the French revolution), and especially at the end of the new Co-op demo, in which the Marqui is thrown out a 2 story window, gets punched, and then decapitated by a swordsman who then sticks his head on spike, along with other aristocrats.

I think this is brilliant, as i always thought past Assassins creeds felt a bit too cartoony with gore and such, because the things the assassins did were only met with a little spurt of red liquid. But this time it shows the true recorded brutality of these timelines, like the end of the demo..which reminded me of this.
http://i.imgur.com/JduufDo.jpg

And then there is the setting, when i saw the gameplay..i saw a almost les miserables vibe, rubbish strewn cobbled streets with houses decorated with makeshift bloody rags, and executions from the guillotine (which will be randomly generated i think), creating a chaotic, bloody feeling.

So, what do you think about this?.

Given the brutality of the French Revolution I would say expect some Bloody scenes for the sake of capturing the true historical picture.

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Yeah,events like this were very common then.
Warning for the link, describes the execution of a princess Lambelle, killed on a Parisian side street.
http://maktaaq.blogspot.co.uk/2006/07/death-of-princesse-de-lamballe.html

Theres also a story of a girl forced to drink her fathers blood otherwise the watching mob would kill her.

Nasty stuff.

Sesheenku
06-14-2014, 05:06 PM
I'd say it'll be noticeably grittier, gorier, and more brutal.

Did you see the blood texture in the demo when she stabs the guard near the door? Highly realistic.

It looks like everything in AC is about to be turned up to 11.

king-hailz
06-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Yeah i like that... but i do wish that paris had a bit more colour too it... so far it looks a little boring... although the buildings are magnificebt i wanted there to be greener trees and stuf...

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 05:09 PM
I'd say it'll be noticeably grittier, gorier, and more brutal.

Did you see the blood texture in the demo when she stabs the guard near the door? Highly realistic.

It looks like everything in AC is about to be turned up to 11.
Yeah, the one in which the guard is checkin' out the mistress?.

The blood splattering on the wall was awesome.

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 05:13 PM
Yeah i like that... but i do wish that paris had a bit more colour too it... so far it looks a little boring... although the buildings are magnificebt i wanted there to be greener trees and stuf...
The demos shown are based in the more populated areas of Paris…and i heard that we would also see the outside of paris, such as the place where the famous aristocrat houses and jardins are.

JustPlainQuirky
06-14-2014, 05:21 PM
I always knew the heads stay alive a bit after being cut off.

Still freaky seeing it in action though.

Dome500
06-14-2014, 07:47 PM
It makes for a more accurate authentic puicture of the time IMO.

Of course Ubisoft will loose some buyers because of the Pegi/USK/etc 18+, but let's be honest 80% of those kids below 18 will buy the game anyway somehow.
And to show the period the right way I think it is more than okay to go 18+ this time.

ACfan443
06-14-2014, 08:10 PM
It makes for a more accurate authentic puicture of the time IMO.

Of course Ubisoft will loose some buyers because of the Pegi/USK/etc 18+, but let's be honest 80% of those kids below 18 will buy the game anyway somehow.
And to show the period the right way I think it is more than okay to go 18+ this time.

The games have always been rated 18 though, not that it stopped underage gamers from buying them, and it certainly won't this time.

Unless you're from the UK that is, between 2007 and 2011 the AC games were rated by both PEGI and BBFC (who gave them all a 15, while PEGI scored them an 18), and the BBFC rating was the one used on the covers. This ultimately led to confusion and the video game division of BBFC was made defunct. It was only because of this dual rating loophole that kids were able to legally purchase the games.

DumbGamerTag94
06-14-2014, 08:19 PM
Ok I would just like to mention that when I am not at college I work at home in my family business. We own a butcher shop. I kill and skin animals regularly. And I am also an avid hunter. So I know first hand what gore and blood is supposed to look like whether it's from a gun or a blade.

And I can really say that it seems many of you have a very unrealistic view of what blood and gore "should" look like. What many of you in these forums seem to think of as "realistic" blood and gore comes from watching too many cop dramas and horror movies.

Like many people on here seem to expect a massive spurt of blood when a person gets stabbed. I hear all the time how people liked AC1s animations because it's more "realistic". Well realistically when you stab someone it won't send a 4foot spurt into the air. The blood just flows out of the wound. The only way anything spurts is if an entire artery is cut and even then it sprays maybe a grand total of 6 inches.

The blood that would actually and up flung on a wall or the ground would be what flys off of the blade itself not from the wound. If they want to be realistic blood would only spatter if you used a sword or tomahawk. There's no reason that blood should spatter all over the place from a stab from a hidden blade in the chest. However all bodies should have blood pool under them from the open wound. And maybe leak a blood trail if they run away or you move the body.

And as for the marquis in the demo. They did I pretty fine job with that actually. Except for one thing. The blood at the base of his neck is deep dark red and stuck to his neck for about 4 inches. That is what would happen if the head had sat in a pool of blood for 20 or 30mins because the blood coagulates and becomes sticky and darker. He hadn't had his head off long enough to have that happen. So realistically his neck and face would have had some blood spattered all over from the spray from the neck arteries. But it would mostly run off. Leaving his head mostly clean except for his hair and a few spatters here or there. The base of the neck wouldn't have a red 4 inch ring. But it would be dripping blood pretty heavily.

In all honestly I think that the most realistic blood AC has had is their blood effects from AC3 and 4. If they keep on that trend they will be fine. They can't turn it in to Mortal Kombat or God of War. If they begin to become too excessive with the gore. It not only becomes unrealistic but it also just feels gratuitous and cartoony.

I think if they keep on the trend they have been on they will be fine. I think ACU will actually be the most gory and realistic AC to date. Which only makes sense it's the French Revolution. And next gen!

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Ok I would just like to mention that when I am not at college I work at home in my family business. We own a butcher shop. I kill and skin animals regularly. And I am also an avid hunter. So I know first hand what gore and blood is supposed to look like whether it's from a gun or a blade.

And I can really say that it seems many of you have a very unrealistic view of what blood and gore "should" look like. What many of you in these forums seem to think of as "realistic" blood and gore comes from watching too many cop dramas and horror movies.

Like many people on here seem to expect a massive spurt of blood when a person gets stabbed. I hear all the time how people liked AC1s animations because it's more "realistic". Well realistically when you stab someone it won't send a 4foot spurt into the air. The blood just flows out of the wound. The only way anything spurts is if an entire artery is cut and even then it sprays maybe a grand total of 6 inches.

The blood that would actually and up flung on a wall or the ground would be what flys off of the blade itself not from the wound. If they want to be realistic blood would only spatter if you used a sword or tomahawk. There's no reason that blood should spatter all over the place from a stab from a hidden blade in the chest. However all bodies should have blood pool under them from the open wound. And maybe leak a blood trail if they run away or you move the body.

And as for the marquis in the demo. They did I pretty fine job with that actually. Except for one thing. The blood at the base of his neck is deep dark red and stuck to his neck for about 4 inches. That is what would happen if the head had sat in a pool of blood for 20 or 30mins because the blood coagulates and becomes sticky and darker. He hadn't had his head off long enough to have that happen. So realistically his neck and face would have had some blood spattered all over from the spray from the neck arteries. But it would mostly run off. Leaving his head mostly clean except for his hair and a few spatters here or there. The base of the neck wouldn't have a red 4 inch ring. But it would be dripping blood pretty heavily.

In all honestly I think that the most realistic blood AC has had is their blood effects from AC3 and 4. If they keep on that trend they will be fine. They can't turn it in to Mortal Kombat or God of War. If they begin to become too excessive with the gore. It not only becomes unrealistic but it also just feels gratuitous and cartoony.

I think if they keep on the trend they have been on they will be fine. I think ACU will actually be the most gory and realistic AC to date. Which only makes sense it's the French Revolution. And next gen!

I can see exactly what your saying here, if you go on Reddit or live leaks you can see things like this happen to people (i wouldn't recommend looking at it), and i must also say that blood only spurts out when you strike a artery or pulse (i think?)…at most a bullet to the head causes a little spurt and trickle and a pool forms…and thats it.

Its totally unrealistic i agree, but id probably say the gore in Unity is the best and most realistic/gritty out of all of them, i mean look at AC 2.

Hans684
06-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Arno doesn't seem to be as cold blooded as Altaïr. Altaïr killed the people he interrogated and judging by the SP demo Arno is going to be a softer Assassin.

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 08:46 PM
That bloke he ordered to leave was pretty much a innocent civilian, i think its against the creed to kill civvies isn't it?.

Most of the time Altair killed non-innocents he knew who had done something.

Although they seem to be pretty cold hearted leaving the victims to the crowd, to be tortured and executed and then have their heads stuck on spikes…in other games they would've given them a final rite forgiving them and passing them away…not in this...

FR0ZENZiNE
06-14-2014, 09:02 PM
I think the cutscenes and overall brutality of the events that occur will be much greater than previous games. However, I think the combat will be the same in terms of blood. For example, in the demo the blood effects etc looked exactly like they were in AC 3 + AC 4 although the blood did seem to always effect the environment which was awesome! I actually think the first AC was the most brutal (until maybe now!)

It got better imo. Just look how to blood splatters on the objects when Arno kills an enemy from behind.

DumbGamerTag94
06-14-2014, 09:08 PM
It got better imo. Just look how to blood splatters on the objects when Arno kills an enemy from behind.

As I said while that is gorier and more brutal. It doesn't make it realistic. In fact that is rather unrealistic and exaggerated. The only way that could happen is if he managed to stab him right in the jugular in the neck. As blood only sprays if you hit a major artery or vein. Not just any old spot on the body

GunnerGalactico
06-14-2014, 09:10 PM
I always knew the heads stay alive a bit after being cut off.

Still freaky seeing it in action though.

It's disturbingly freaky but true. I once watched a documentary, it was called Europe's Bloodiest Tales ( I think :confused: ). Fast Forward- it explained in graphic detail about Anne Boleyn's final moments at her execution. According to the narrator, Anne kneeled at the scaffold after giving her final speech... she was reciting a Psalm, the executioner delivered a quick, clean stroke with his sword and it decapitated her instantly... even after Anne's head was severed, her lips were still moving. :eek:

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 09:13 PM
One thing I'm worrying about is the rag doll psychics.

Whenever you kill someone in any AC, the moment they hit the floor they seem to have a clipping seizure like crazy.

Makes the bodies look like dolls instead of the dead.

Sesheenku
06-14-2014, 09:22 PM
Yeah, the one in which the guard is checkin' out the mistress?.

The blood splattering on the wall was awesome.

Precisely!

I disagree, the whole thing is highly realistic in it's colors. The over saturation in AC4 was off putting although somewhat accurate as the south part of the world is often more vibrant, Paris isn't in the south though, the lighting is appropriate.

The colors in interiors however are of course properly saturated and vibrant as things should be. It's just right and I've seen few games match that realism in their lighting and color.

... I was referring to the texture.. Which is realistic.

Hans684
06-14-2014, 09:54 PM
That bloke he ordered to leave was pretty much a innocent civilian, i think its against the creed to kill civvies isn't it?.

Well that depend on how they define anyone innocent. Altaïr would have killed that bloke, because letting him go could mean he and the Assassin Order would be compromised when the bloke goes to talk the target saying the Assassins are hunting him. It goes again the 3 tenant. Never compromise the brotherhood direct or indirect, Al Mualim said it himself before saying Altaïr betrayed them, then stab him.

Most of the time Altair killed non-innocents he knew who had done something.

Again it depends on how they define it, Altaïr killed everyone he interrogated(plus they have seen him because of it), no more, no less. Just Assassin Work. And trying to justify what the Assassins do; like killing the person they interrogated, then go to bash the Templars for doing the same is hypocritical(nat saying you do, just an example). Haytham killed the persons he and Connor interrogated, Connor wanted t spare them.

Although they seem to be pretty cold hearted leaving the victims to the crowd, to be tortured and executed and then have their heads stuck on spikes…in other games they would've given them a final rite forgiving them and passing them away…not in this...

Indeed, it does make sense for them to do it too. The Assassins fight for peace and the people, the people wanted their heads and the Assassins gave it too them. Sure it was brutal to the victims and having the crowd torturing them, executing them and then have then having their heads on spikes but the Assassins only thew/gave them to the crowd. They themselves did nothing brutal, the crowed did.

Animusaurus
06-14-2014, 11:52 PM
Well that depend on how they define anyone innocent. Altaïr would have killed that bloke, because letting him go could mean he and the Assassin Order would be compromised when the bloke goes to talk the target saying the Assassins are hunting him. It goes again the 3 tenant. Never compromise the brotherhood direct or indirect, Al Mualim said it himself before saying Altaïr betrayed them, then stab him.

Again it depends on how they define it, Altaïr killed everyone he interrogated(plus they have seen him because of it), no more, no less. Just Assassin Work. And trying to justify what the Assassins do; like killing the person they interrogated, then go to bash the Templars for doing the same is hypocritical(nat saying you do, just an example). Haytham killed the persons he and Connor interrogated, Connor wanted t spare them.

Indeed, it does make sense for them to do it too. The Assassins fight for peace and the people, the people wanted their heads and the Assassins gave it too them. Sure it was brutal to the victims and having the crowd torturing them, executing them and then have then having their heads on spikes but the Assassins only thew/gave them to the crowd. They themselves did nothing brutal, the crowed did.
You make some fair points there mate

LoyalACFan
06-15-2014, 12:07 AM
All AC's should be gory and brutal. You're playing as a freaking Assassin. All the games since AC2 have felt a bit too Disneyfied for tales about people who run around stabbing their enemies in the face. Uncharted really bothers me on this front as well, I mean they're incredibly violent games but they've made the bullets feel like laser beams as enemies seem to soak up a million shots before they go down, and there's barely any blood effects. To me, that's more disturbing than having a massive gore-fest, just being able to massacre a room full of guys who politely fall over dead with no blood loss as the hero drops a one-liner.

Max Payne 3 is probably the most realistic game I've played in terms of gore effects (obviously the game itself is far from realistic but you know what I mean). Wounds leave bloody spots on enemies at the point of impact (which is something AC desperately needs to bring back) and the blood pools on the ground after they've been killed, but there's no gigantic sprays of it flying everywhere every time a bullet hits.

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 12:14 AM
All AC's should be gory and brutal. You're playing as a freaking Assassin. All the games since AC2 have felt a bit too Disneyfied for tales about people who run around stabbing their enemies in the face. Uncharted really bothers me on this front as well, I mean they're incredibly violent games but they've made the bullets feel like laser beams as enemies seem to soak up a million shots before they go down, and there's barely any blood effects. To me, that's more disturbing than having a massive gore-fest, just being able to massacre a room full of guys who politely fall over dead with no blood loss as the hero drops a one-liner.

Max Payne 3 is probably the most realistic game I've played in terms of gore effects (obviously the game itself is far from realistic but you know what I mean). Wounds leave bloody spots on enemies at the point of impact (which is something AC desperately needs to bring back) and the blood pools on the ground after they've been killed, but there's no gigantic sprays of it flying everywhere every time a bullet hits.
This.

Since AC2 everything in AC has felt kind of...cartoony?, hell even the character models have been cartoony.

In Unity everything looks more...I don't know, real and less happiness and rainbows?...like, in AC2 I hate the dialogue, it's so bloody cheesy and crap, and I must say so for the other AC games...Unity looks more down to earth and less comical.

SixKeys
06-15-2014, 02:12 AM
I must admit I was surprised at the severed heads in the demo. But the time period was definitely brutal and I don't mind the game reflecting that. Gore is by no means a priority to me, though. It should be kept to scenes where it makes sense, but being able to hack off limbs in the middle of the street and then be expected to vanish into the crowd like no1 curr, that would be unrealistic.

Ureh
06-15-2014, 02:44 AM
Yes, that decapitation pleased me greatly.

But I hope it wasn't just for that demo. Don't stop there. I would also like to see dismemberment, evisceration and decapitation added into Arno's library of finishing moves.

There have been a few games that had concept art which depicts vivisection, so I hope AC will be one the first games to tread on that territory in one of the cutscenes (make it interactive if possible).

raytrek79
06-15-2014, 02:44 AM
I prefer respect for the dead and dying, even the bastardo's. Mario resonates with me with what he says to Ezio when he kills Vieri.

bearerY
06-15-2014, 07:53 AM
I disagree, the whole thing is highly realistic in it's colors. The over saturation in AC4 was off putting although somewhat accurate as the south part of the world is often more vibrant, Paris isn't in the south though, the lighting is appropriate.

The colors in interiors however are of course properly saturated and vibrant as things should be. It's just right and I've seen few games match that realism in their lighting and color.

Also disagree. Blue and red seems quite saturated in ACU. Just look at the blue shadows all over the place and sepia/blue indoor contrasts, which are nowhere natural.
The palette is good, yes, and appropriate, despite and because of this little exageration. It reminds me of 18th/19th century paintings pretty mush like ACR's palette screams orientalism.

Off-topic but... saw a screenshot with pink sky and light blue cathedral and now can't contain girlish happines of seeing the many Monet's Notre Dames! DOUBT it though, but dat looks soo beautiful.

LoyalACFan
06-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Yes, that decapitation pleased me greatly.

But I hope it wasn't just for that demo. Don't stop there. I would also like to see dismemberment, evisceration and decapitation added into Arno's library of finishing moves.

There have been a few games that had concept art which depicts vivisection, so I hope AC will be one the first games to tread on that territory in one of the cutscenes (make it interactive if possible).

Blegh, couldn't disagree more. Arno ought to be an elegant, efficient fighter, not an insane axe murderer. I want the game to accurately portray the gore that would accompany all the stabbing and slashing of Assassin life, but there's no need to throw in a bunch of unnecessarily violent moves just because. ACR's sword kills bothered me for this exact reason. Besides, hacking off heads and limbs in the heat of battle is pretty unrealistic, especially with swords as small and light as the ones Arno carries.

But I guess that's the beauty of customization. If I want my Arno to fight like Zorro, I can; if you want your Arno to fight like Gimli on PCP you can do that as well :p

Legendz54
06-15-2014, 08:17 AM
I prefer respect for the dead and dying, even the bastardo's. Mario resonates with me with what he says to Ezio when he kills Vieri.

The crowd ain't exactly saints too.. Most of them are very hungry violant bunch of thieves and crooks.. No wonder they chopped off his head lol.

raytrek79
06-15-2014, 10:39 AM
The crowd ain't exactly saints too.. Most of them are very hungry violant bunch of thieves and crooks.. No wonder they chopped off his head lol.

Yeah, it isn't anything to do with the Assassins on how mobs get violent, Assassins like it clean and mostly painless but they cant stop angry crowds from being angry.

Hans684
06-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Yeah, it isn't anything to do with the Assassins on how mobs get violent, Assassins like it clean and mostly painless but they cant stop angry crowds from being angry.

And if they try they might end up as a target themselves.

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Yeah, but the Assasins choose to let the crowd have them…pretty cold hearted if you ask me, as its the french revolution and all.

Hans684
06-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Yeah, but the Assasins choose to let the crowd have them…pretty cold hearted if you ask me, as its the french revolution and all.

It was, still nothing compared to the crowd.

Sesheenku
06-15-2014, 02:53 PM

The assassins don't have any rules for Templars, Dictators, or oppressors, just kill them.

That cold hearted **** is nice to see again, just like good ol Altair.

Interrogation target: Is that all?

Altair: ... No there's one more thing I need.... Your life.

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 02:55 PM
The assassins don't have any rules for Templars, Dictators, or oppressors, just kill them.

That cold hearted **** is nice to see again, just like good ol Altair.

Interrogation target: Is that all?

Altair: ... No there's one more thing I need.... Your life.
Yeah, i agree, the assassin being cold Mother****ers again is good news.

DumbGamerTag94
06-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Perhaps it's a new philosophy of the assassins and they help enrage these mobs(like the demo where they killed the guards causing the mob to storm the palace). Perhaps the assassins come to believe it is the people themselves that should dictate the fate of their oppressors rather than the Assassins deciding for them? Idk just a guess

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Perhaps it's a new philosophy of the assassins and they help enrage these mobs(like the demo where they killed the guards causing the mob to storm the palace). Perhaps the assassins come to believe it is the people themselves that should dictate the fate of their oppressors rather than the Assassins deciding for them? Idk just a guess
I guess its kinda that, or they believe that they have betrayed the people, and thus the people should deal with them.

Guess it also increases the anonymity of the creed too.

Sesheenku
06-15-2014, 03:13 PM

They've always worked for the people. Why not let the people take care of it if they are able with just a bit of help from their friendly neighborhood assassins? ;P

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 03:21 PM
True that.

In past AC's most of the populace didn't have the resources to revolt, in this they do…thus the Assassins can work with the people more.

Legendz54
06-15-2014, 03:25 PM

Its a way of saying "you created all this pain amongst these people" now die by the hands of those you treated like peasants.

Sesheenku
06-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Its a way of saying "you created all this pain amongst these people" now die by the hands of those you treated like peasants.

I want a gif of that guy in the co-op vid saying THEY'RE ONLY PEASANTS Q-Q! then getting thrown down.

Ureh
06-15-2014, 03:43 PM

That idea sorta proves the point of the Templars. If people aren't guided, if they're allowed to "decide".... Then most of them will devolve to their natural, base instincts and just brutalise the objects of their indignation. The Assassins need to inspire the people that they can choose to be better than their oppressors and not stoop to their level. Which is extremely daunting when the mobs number in the thousands and their blood is boiling.

-------
Arno is a bit wierd cause he wasn't the one to throw out the Marquis from the balcony. And he ain't like Altair cause he let Professor Xavier go free despite the risk that it might bring (Prof. Xavier might give away his presence to Cpt. Xavier). Altair kills anyone because he doesn't want loose ends.

d4st4n96
06-15-2014, 03:49 PM
That idea sorta proves the point of the Templars. If people aren't guided, if they're allowed to "decide".... Then most of them will devolve to their natural, base instincts and just brutalise the objects of their indignation. The Assassins need to inspire the people that they can choose to be better than their oppressors and not stoop to their level. Which is extremely daunting when the mobs number in the thousands and their blood is boiling.

-------
Arno is a bit wierd cause he wasn't the one to throw out the Marquis from the balcony. And he ain't like Altair cause he let Professor Xavier go free despite the risk that it might bring (Prof. Xavier might give away his presence to Cpt. Xavier). Altair kills anyone because he doesn't want loose ends.
I think he let that old man go, because he considered he wasn't so much of a threat... also, he gave Arno the information he needed so...

Sesheenku
06-15-2014, 03:52 PM

That's the problem with the Templars, they don't merely want to guide, they want to force obedience. Force complacence.

The Assassins on the other hand want the people to come to realizations themselves.

HercRembrandt
06-15-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm not totally sold on the "realism" argument (btw, aren't the first 2 options kinda the same?), smacks a little of "... but it's educational!" to me. Probably many people just think that it's wicked cool.

I'm not going to grandstand on this, as I have been there too. It's just that I'm not there anymore, and the idea that gore is a big focus in this game is my biggest reservation about it so far. It's just not something I find that enjoyable anymore. I have my reasons, but it's not like I could convert anyone who doesn't share them. Having said that, I can't see more gore adding anything of particular importance beyond the spectacle value it has for some, much like humongous 'splosions. The human body breaks in much the same way regardless of the era. It's the things that have changed that I find interesting about the historical setting, like the ideas or the architecture.

So I'm still uncertain if the game is going to be enjoyable for me. If it's just going to be stuff that I'm gonna have to endure through, it may not be worth it. Which would be a pity, because I like my stabbing games. Just not going overboard with it.

Sesheenku
06-15-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm not totally sold on the "realism" argument (btw, aren't the first 2 options kinda the same?), smacks a little of "... but it's educational!" to me. Probably many people just think that it's wicked cool.

I'm not going to grandstand on this, as I have been there too. It's just that I'm not there anymore, and the idea that gore is a big focus in this game is my biggest reservation about it so far. It's just not something I find that enjoyable anymore. I have my reasons, but it's not like I could convert anyone who doesn't share them. Having said that, I can't see more gore adding anything of particular importance beyond spectacle value it has for some, much like humongous 'splosions. The human body breaks in much the same way regardless of the era. It's the things that have changed that I find interesting about the historical setting, like the ideas or the architecture.

So I'm still uncertain if the game is going to be enjoyable for me. If it's just going to be stuff that I'm gonna have to endure through, it may not be worth it. Which would be a pity, because I like my stabbing games. Just not going overboard with it.

It's not necessarily a big deal, they're not making it gory simply to market to others but to have some historical accuracy.

I'll be glad to have something to add immersion, in Skyrim I play with a mod called Deadly Mutilation I mean ****, if I slam a heavy great sword down on you, you should be cut all the way through to some degree.

It's not a focus, just a point to note because their revolution was more brutal, the people weren't just fighting with guns, they tore mother ****ers apart.

I'm surprised you're uncertain but understand to an extent.

Dome500
06-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Agreed.

I think what we have to keep in mind here is not realism or "coolness" but that it is actually authentic to the time period.

poptartz20
06-15-2014, 05:59 PM
I commend ubi for doing the decapitation scene! Not so much because it had gore in it, but because it depicted what was actual going on during the French Revolution and not backing down or shying away from what was done. I feel these games are more history driven than anything and if they don't get down the history then we don't really have AC anymore as one of the core elements has changed. At the end of the day we are playing a video game too. So I don't expect everything to be 100% accurate nor do I expect everything to be 100% realistic. That's the point of video games as well to take something and take you out of a reality and into a virtual reality.

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 06:03 PM
yeah the french revolution was violent as frick.

I feel bad for the young noble ladies and lads who were caught up in the mix just for being noble.

Hans684
06-15-2014, 06:05 PM
That's the problem with the Templars, they don't merely want to guide, they want to force obedience. Force complacence.

The Assassins on the other hand want the people to come to realizations themselves.

That depends on the Templars and Assassins from the era, it's not a clear cut.

Actually Arno did throw the Marguis. Every player is Arno, if Arno throws him or not depends on what player that throw him and Prof. X he was not a target. Both Capt. X and Marguis is a target. Them dead means the mission is a success.

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 06:07 PM
I hope Arno goes out of his way to rescue nobles too.

Because I watched some documentaries.

The peasants deserved to be pissed but some of the people they killed....augh...

HercRembrandt
06-15-2014, 06:14 PM

The peasants deserved to be pissed but some of the people they killed....augh...

Theory: Where they are going with it is this. The "throwing the dude to the crowds" scene takes place early in the Revolution, as we know. Arno and the assassin bros are all gung-ho for the Revolution, and it's like "Yay, check out the crowd ripping that dude apart, so cool LOL!" But as it happens, Arno's family also gets brutalized by the revolutionaries, even though they're not super villainous or anything, and after that it's "Daymn, I regret getting swept up in that mob mentality!" And then he's against all the excesses of the Revolution. "We went too far!" etc.

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Like i said, read up about princess lambelle…her execution was one of the worst.

They raped her, cut off her genitals and breasts…stuck them on pikes, then dragged her body around the street, finally they showed her head outside the window of Marie Antoinette (her supposed lover) and attempted to force her to kiss it.

I think her body was never found.

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 06:18 PM
@Herc

Arno's dad is killed before he becomes an assassin tho...

@animus

they raped her and cut her genitals off while she was alive?

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 06:23 PM
@Herc

Arno's dad is killed before he becomes an assassin tho...

@animus

they raped her and cut her genitals off while she was alive?
Yes, at first she was asked to say that she loathed the monarchy and loved freedom in court, she agreed with freedom and liberty but did not say she detested the monarchy…so she was thrown out the court, where she was attacked by a mob of men, who beat her. Soon after a bunch of others ran in and they tore her apart whilst she was alive. And then this happened…warning, not nice stuff.

Its also said that one man used her pubic hair as a moustache, and she was cooked over a bonfire

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Jesus Christ...

Poor girl...

poptartz20
06-15-2014, 06:28 PM

Yeah! I know that's what makes the FR so interesting.. .at least IMO. Because there were some many factions and Ideals I feel some people got caught in the fray that really shouldn't have and the horrendous things they did to them. The only thing that people really agreed on was something needed to be changed just no one established what or how. So you get chaos! This game I hope will capture all of this!

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Yep.

Nasty.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Good lord man... if they show that in-game..... Never mind X_X

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 06:43 PM
I better be able to kill some of the peasants. No way I would let those who murdered that girl live. :mad:

poptartz20
06-15-2014, 06:44 PM
uh ho! a personal vendetta rice? lol!

Mr_Shade
06-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Good lord man... if they show that in-game..... Never mind X_X

I don't think people should expect that level of brutality..

Even though the game is based on VERY real events - I expect them to treat all of the events, with the care needed…

Hans684
06-15-2014, 06:48 PM
I don't think people should expect that level of brutality..

Even though the game is based on VERY real events - I expect them to treat all of the events, with the care needed…

So did you tell the teams?

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Heres a link for more detail on it
http://maktaaq.blogspot.co.uk/2006/07/death-of-princesse-de-lamballe.html

Of course they wouldn't put this in game, but for sure they'll put stuff in like it.

JustPlainQuirky
06-15-2014, 06:58 PM
^reading that, at least she was unconscious when all the damage happened.

doesn't make it any less inhumane though.

Interesting ASSASSINS took her out though. :rolleyes:

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 07:00 PM
^reading that, at least she was unconscious when all the damage happened.

doesn't make it any less inhumane though.

Interesting ASSASSINS took her out though. :rolleyes:
Well, it does say that it was carried out maybe before she was knocked out.

I just hope that wasn't the case.

Mr_Shade
06-15-2014, 07:01 PM
So did you tell the teams?Tell them what?

They will be well aware of events that happened in the time periods the game is set in..

And, they will have a very definite idea on how to portray those events.. ;)

While I fully appreciate the historical nature of this thread - can we please try and stay away from the gory details.. this is a public forum and children can still read it etc ;)

Animusaurus
06-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Apparently they are also including Marquis de Sade, the sexual oriented sadist who was a complete nut-job.

Looks like they are going all out on Unity.

EDIT:
Ooops, sorry..didn't think about the children, ill keep that in mind.

Hans684
06-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Tell them what?
They will be well aware of events that happened in the time periods the game is set in..
And, they will have a very definite idea on how to portray those events.. ;)
While I fully appreciate the historical nature of this thread - can we please try and stay away from the gory details.. this is a public forum and children can still read it etc ;)

You have passed previous suggestions/requests to teams before right?

Anyway my request to the teams(official and unofficial AC's) is to tell them on behalf of the entire forum(and beyond) to either; Let the optional objectives to go away, Mix them with the Adoptive mission design(AMM(the new Unity mission design so that the optional objectives adopt to the players play style like the mission)) or make them fully optional by letting us turn them off and that they don't have any impact on the sync. This is for future games and the teams making them. Unity clearly is proof that Ubisoft is listening and planning ahead, so give this message to future teams for future games on the behalf of the forum and everyone else agains them. The optional objectives is going to be in Unity, it's too far in development to add or take way stuff, just polishing at the moment. This is why I want you give the massage for future AC titles. You may or may not do but the criticism agains them will always be there like the suggestion for crunching that we will get in Unity.

From this thread; http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/891137-A-first-look-at-AC-Unity-s-HUD-and-Optional-Objectives/page17

You've said they are aware but this message is for future teams. Unlike a lot of people I'd rather go to someone who can influence it then making a thread about the same thing again and again. Truth be told I don't expect it to be told to the teams but one can hope right? It is done, the message is delivered the rest is up to you...Shade.

Dome500
06-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Like the developers said "the revolutionaries of today were the moderates of tomorrow". They are right.

A lot of groups (like the Assassins maybe) started the Revolution but after they reached what they wanted they became moderate and resigned to a more diplomatic approach.
But at this time there was already another radical group that was not satisfied with the moderate approach and became the brutal, the radical ones.
And those were the moderates of the next time period while other radicals rose again.

In the end the Reign of Terror had taken a lot of innocent lives, in the FR a lot of people killed each other over suspicions and assumptions and one had to watch not to be too moderate or to say something wrong. Everyone suspected everyone else to be an enemy, especially the radical ones did.

It was total Chaos.

My best guess is that the Assassins were for the Revolution in the beginning, but realized after a while they have to cool down. At that point however Templars might have taken over the radical side of the Revolution and were then hunting for the Assassins and for everyone associated with the King and everyone too moderate and neutral.