PDA

View Full Version : ACIII-IV-Unity-Comet tied together through a boat

TheBurnin8r
06-14-2014, 10:35 AM
i'm going to lay out what i think the tie-ins are between ACIII, ACIV, AC Unity and AC Comet, and specifically, how they are all tied together by a boat (and by the Kenways).

AC Unity takes place during the french revolution. we know that already. and the first DLC has already been announced, called The Chemical Revolution. but what do we actually know about AC Comet? thus far, the rumors that have been gathered are that you'll play as a templar ship's captain who possibly mutineed against his captain, Adewale, who was Edward Kenway's first mate in black flag. it's also rumored that this game takes place in 1758-59 in the New England area. it could be that the ship you captain is the Aquila, the ship that Connor "finds" abandoned some years later in ACIII. in fact, it's almost certainly the case, and ACIII has an unlockable "Aquila Captain" costume that doesn't look like an assassin's garb. that would be consistent with the captain being a templar.

here's how i think this ties into Unity. you've all heard how the name Comet is probably a reference to Halley's comet. it would tie into the mystical meta-narrative about Minerva really well. but here's the thing, Halley of course never called it "Halley's comet", and he died in 1742, before he could see the comet return at the predicted time. the person who named it "Halley" was Nicolas de Lacaille in 1759. he made his own calculations of comet paths with the help of two important assistants, Jean Bailly and Antoine Lavoisier. Jean Bailly was put to death by guillotine in 1793 during the french revolution. Antoine Lavoisier was none other than the "Father of Modern Chemistry", and almost certainly the figure pictured in the Chemical Revolution DLC art for AC Unity. incidentally, Lavoisier was also guillotined in the french revolution.

to sum it all up in chronological order, Edward Kenway's first mate, Adewale, captains his own ship (possibly the Aquila) and suffers a mutinee at the hands of the main character of AC Comet - a templar. this templar becomes the new captain of the Aquila, and his main narrative takes place in 1758-59 in New England during the reapparition of Halley's comet, so-named by Nicolas de Lacaille and his student Antoine Lavoisier. the Aquila is later abandoned in a lake in New England where Edward Kenway's grandson, Connor Kenway finds it and becomes the new captain. twenty years later, Lavoisier is working with the assassins in Paris during the french revolution, and he's eventually guillotined on charges of stealing tax money. it could be that Ubisoft will devise a way for the templars to have orchestrated his death, both for working with the assassins, but also perhaps for something having to do with Halley's comet. it could be that Lacaille and Lavoisier discover something important about the comet that leads to Lavoisier linking up with the assassins later in his life.

however, i've left out one final detail that i think cinches Lacaille and Lavoisier's role in AC Comet. one of Lacaille's accomplishments near the end of his life was a geographic mapping expedition and the construction of the first southern hemisphere observatory at the Cape of Good Hope. at one point in his voyage, he was staying at Saint Denis on Réunion, a small island near Madagasgar. none of that really matters except that the device Edward Kenway was searching for in black flag was also called The Observatory. what's really interesting, is that the ship that came to pick Lacaille up from Saint Denis on Réunion and take him back to paris? that ship was called the Achille. it is not hard to imagine the french ship Achille coming to be named the Aquila by english speakers along the New England coast some 4 years after dropping Lacaille off back in Paris, potentially after he discovered another predecessor observatory on the island of Saint Denis on Réunion.

essentially, the thread of connections starts with Edward Kenway, through Adewale, to the templar captain of the Aquila (Achille), which ferries Lacaille back to Paris (maybe after he discovers an artifact or observatory, with some link to the coming return of Halley's comet). the Aquila comes into the possession of Connor Kenway, while Lacaille's assistant Lavoisier later connects up with Arno and is guillotined (probably by templars).

rprkjj
06-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Interesting. Of course this thread falls apart if the rumors are false, but since they were released with the Unity ones which turned out to be true, so could the Comet rumors and thus your theory.

Jexx21
06-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Do you remember that ship that was chasing Haytham at the beginning of the game that was struck by lightning? That was the Aquila, it was an Assassin ship that was considered the flagship of the Assassin navy at the time, and it was later retrieved and towed back to the Davenport Homestead's port, but it wasn't fixed because the Assassin Order in the colonies was quickly being eliminated by Haytham.

Also, Adewale's ship is the Experto Crede.

Hans684
06-14-2014, 10:53 AM
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Aquila

The Aquila was a French naval warship commissioned and constructed during the 18th century. She soon became the flagship of the burgeoning Assassin fleet.
The Aquila was a brig constructed in Brest, France, in the year 1749.

In 1754, by which point she had become the flagship of the Assassin fleet, the Assassins spread the word that the Aquila had been destroyed after suffering heavy damage pursuing the Providence, which was transporting the Templar Grand Master Haytham Kenway, through a storm. In reality, she had only sustained minor damage and was soon refitted for combat.

Over the next decade, the Aquila plagued the Templar fleets, earning herself the moniker of "Ghost of the North Seas", an illusion spread both by the ship avoiding major harbors and by the exceptional sailing ability of her acting captain, Robert Faulkner.

Eventually, the Templars uncovered the fact that the Aquila had not been destroyed and, in 1768, three British frigates ambushed the ship, nearly destroying it. Both the Aquila and Faulkner survived and managed to escape to the Davenport Homestead, where they would remain until the arrival of the Assassin Connor, who elected to defray the cost of the vessel's repairs. Coincidentally, he had invited lumberjacks Terry and Godfrey to live on the Homestead, so the Aquila had the resources necessary for repairs.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Experto_Crede

The Experto Crede was a brig and former slave ship captained by the Assassin Adéwalé during the mid-1730s.

Jexx21
06-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Thank you Hans for the corrections, I will find someone to give you a reward.

JEEVES!

GreySkellig
06-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Burnin8r, I would love to believe this was possible. You've done some good research and this is a pretty cool theory. But aside from the uncertainty and potential conflicts, I honestly don't believe Ubisoft has shown the storytelling wherewithal to plan something this complicated four games ahead of time.

Hans684
06-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Thank you Hans for the corrections, I will find someone to give you a reward.

JEEVES!

Can't wait, wonder what it is?

DumbGamerTag94
06-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Personally the whole thing with Lavoisier could be comet. I mean Freedom cry had that whole thing were Ade placed trusted agents in a French astrological expedition. And I believe the mission or the achievement was called "plant the seed" or something like that. And that was the late 1730s or 1740s. So it could well be the same expedition. Idk I'd have to research it

wvstolzing
06-15-2014, 03:22 AM
Personally the whole thing with Lavoisier could be comet. I mean Freedom cry had that whole thing were Ade placed trusted agents in a French astrological expedition. And I believe the mission or the achievement was called "plant the seed" or something like that. And that was the late 1730s or 1740s. So it could well be the same expedition. Idk I'd have to research it

If true (it might be?), then it would be funny, because the advertisement for the 'Chemical Revolution' level says it's "30 minutes of extra content".

DumbGamerTag94
06-15-2014, 04:06 AM
If true (it might be?), then it would be funny, because the advertisement for the 'Chemical Revolution' level says it's "30 minutes of extra content".

I'm not saying Chemical Revolution is Comet. I'm saying if Comet exists it may involve Ade and his group going after that astrological mission from France. One of the people that may be encountered is a young Antoine Lavoisier who learns if the Assassins and Templars. Who 30-40 years later is either a friend of Arno's or the AC version of Q from James Bond. And is a major character in ACU. So major he gets his own 30min DLC themed around him(and his death). (basically the same thing they did with Leonardo).

I feel like with ACU they took all the good parts of the 1700s games and mixed it in with their tried and true formula from AC2 ACB. And redesigned the gameplay to basically make an assassins creed with only the best parts. A Pure AC dare I say

wvstolzing
06-15-2014, 04:12 AM
So major he gets his own 30min DLC themed around him(and his death). (basically the same thing they did with Leonardo).

I see your point now; it's quite intriguing. I'd personally love to see Lavoisier as a major character, actually.

Though Leonardo's DLC in ACB was a lot longer than 30 mins.

DumbGamerTag94
06-15-2014, 04:25 AM
Well this Chemical revolution thing probably isn't like Leonardo's DLC which was kind of a mini story. But is probably a one sequence set of bonus missions for pre ordering. Who knows maybe they were supposed to be a PS exclusive thing like Benedict Arnold or Avaline. And then someone probably realized. "Oh wait that's stupid. We have a lot of Xbox players who would probably buy that dlc too". And so they released it with preorders. That's my guess. But I really wish that those kind of things had always been included in the main stories to begin with. Why cut out a sequence just to say "Play Station has exclusive content". When all they did was edit out part of the story that already existed for everyone else. And they could have made more money letting Xbox players download it

TheBurnin8r
06-15-2014, 09:55 AM

i forgot about that! there was some french mapping expedition, and whichever empire controlled those maps would have a huge tactical advantage. that does sound suspiciously like the mission that Lacaille would have undertaken, however, his was in 1750, with a return to paris in 1754. Ade's missions in Freedom Cry were all around 1730ish (Lavoisier wasn't even born yet) i believe. still though, i find the similarity in the names of the ships (Aquila and Achille) too strange to ignore. Lavoisier's mentor's rescue ship having such a similar name to the Assassins' flagship...

also, as far as Ubisoft not being able to plan ahead, i think the settings of the games thus far was probably planned as far back as in the development of ACII. it makes some sense that while the present day narrative deals with first the aversion of armageddon and later the conflict with Juno, the historical narratives have been sort of building up to the french revolution. first, we have the renaissance; the nail in the coffin for the old medieval societies of Europe where free-thinking and free expression are in vogue. then we get to the American Revolution, where the rights of man are openly discussed, the Enlightenment ideas of what a free society should be are pitted against oligarchical control. we take a short backtrack (i think Black Flag was never supposed to be AC IV) to the age of pirates to see how they planted the seeds in the new world of a free and open society, unfettered by royal decree. and finally, in AC U, we have the ultimate culmination of this societal struggle between free men and those who would control them. the french revolution is seen as the spark that ignited revolutions all across Europe and the rest of the world, and for AC, that means the near complete destruction of the templar order.

all of these conflicts bring to bear the full might of the assassin and templar orders, intent on setting the future course of humanity, and i feel like the french revolution is the last real battle in that war. afterward, what the AC universe would call the assassin's creed becomes the de facto standard for how a civil society should operate, and the templars retreat into obscurity, doing what they can through shadow corporations and such.

Dag_B
06-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Wasn't the rumor, that we play as a templer, proved wrong as it was just a "social experiment" by someone who though that might be fun? At least this definitively wrong rumor is the only time I heard about playing as a templar.