PDA

View Full Version : No Female Characters in AC: Unity?

Kyrian.shibara
06-12-2014, 02:33 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-ubisoft-clarifies-assassin-s-creed-unity-s-lack-of-playable-female-leads/1100-6420397/

Big controversy over this. As a female gamer, I'm disappointed in Ubisoft for not taking the time to appeal to its (considerable amount of) female fans, especially because their reasoning is not very convincing. I was pretty stoked when Aveline got her own game, even though it was a spin-off and not a part of the main series, so to see them backtracking on something as simple as offering a female Assassin option on co-op is really disappointing.

HercRembrandt
06-12-2014, 02:41 PM
In order for them to have playable female characters in the co-op, they would have had to design a co-op mode in which everyone isn't playing as Arno. But they didn't. What got cut from production was the ability to have your Arno appear as a female character to your co-op partners.

It is disappointing, but it is also being misreported, a lot. The French Revolution would have been an excellent setting for a playable female assassin, but Ubisoft never had plans to create one.

Dag_B
06-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Yupp. I would also find it weird to see myself as Arno but my friends seeing me as a female assassin. Just because that would mean, I would look completly different. I mean, I'll put effort to personalize my own Arno, to make him good looking, just so everybody else is seeing me as a female where maybe the robe I choose does not look as good?
Nah, it's better this way. I'll stay a male, so my body will stay exactly the same therefore I'll still know how my Assassin will look to the others. Just the face chances. If the whole body would chance... Weird.
That would even apply, if one of the assassins would be fad or have a very small height or look in another way extremely different from Arno. So it's not about the gender but about the body for me. I think it's generally a good idea to just swap the face and not the whole body.

If the co-op would be anything like the competitive multiplayer was (choose your own character and everybody, even you see yourself as that character) then it would be a pitty to not have a female. But this way it's totally ok to me (being a female myself).

Sesheenku
06-14-2014, 06:43 AM
Meh. Hardly a big deal imo.

There haven't been any 5'5 Venezuelan males that grew up in America in AC either but oh well.

We shouldn't require representation to feel like we're appealed to.

AC is a game, you either like it or you don't, if you need a certain type of character to enjoy a game then you're doing it wrong.

I'm also part Mohawk on my moms side, a quarter in fact and AC3 actually happens to be my least favorite. Representing one of my races didn't make the game appeal more to me.

rprkjj
06-14-2014, 10:38 AM
There's already 2 other threads discussing the same thing.

Locopells
06-15-2014, 10:23 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/890993-Ubisoft-Please-Make-the-Next-Protagonist-a-Female