PDA

View Full Version : Use of licenced songs in games

killzab
06-11-2014, 07:29 PM
I think most people will probably disagree but I'd love for Ubisoft to use licensed songs with vocals during certain key moments to make them unforgettable ( or even more unforgettable).

Imagine "La prise de la Bastille" with the same song from the CG trailer, this time used ingame. I think it would be truly exceptional.

Though original instrumental music can do the job fine too, especially in AC but I think it would make certain moments special.

Music is extremely important to make events as epic as they should. Remember the Rodrigo fight at the end of ACII with the Ezio clones ? It felt extremely flat to me because of the lack of music. Now imagine the Lorde song, or another more fitting song, playing during the fight. I think everyone would've gotten goosebumps.

Shahkulu101
06-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Wouldn't make sense if the Animus started blasting Gangnam style every time we successfully assassinated someone.

killzab
06-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Wouldn't make sense if the Animus started blasting Gangnam style every time we successfully assassinated someone.

:rolleyes:

I-Like-Pie45
06-11-2014, 07:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIAfiVGluk

MMM WHATCHA SAY
MMM THAT YOU ONLY MEANT WELL?

l - RC

rprkjj
06-17-2014, 02:55 PM

This made me laugh too hard.

Farlander1991
06-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Not exactly licensed, but Anne Bonny's The Parting Glass at the end of AC4 was very poignant. But I feel this kind of thing fits more cinematic/directed things, while gameplay would benefit from a more instrumental score written specifically for the game that's easier to control (and will have the same effect if played longer or shorter than needed, and won't feel abrupt if such a thing is going to happen).

LoyalACFan
06-17-2014, 03:06 PM
I'd rather see them just use original music. Don't get me wrong, I loved Lorde in the CGI trailer, but licensed songs only work in certain limited contexts in games. Mostly in intro/outro cutscenes or other low-key situations where there isn't a whole lot of action going on (i.e. the entrance to Mexico or the ride back to the Marston ranch in Red Dead) where you can kind of relax and take it all in. In a trailer, the action is all planned out and synchronized with the music, but in gameplay it's next to impossible to match up the action onscreen with the music unless it's a sort of orchestral loop like the ambient/fight tracks. Imagine hearing "everybody wants to rule the wooooooorld" coming to a climax as you're lying flat on your back having been smashed in the head by a guard's axe. It's significantly less cool then.

Edit-

Not exactly licensed, but Anne Bonny's The Parting Glass at the end of AC4 was very poignant. But I feel this kind of thing fits more cinematic/directed things, while gameplay would benefit from a more instrumental score written specifically for the game that's easier to control (and will have the same effect if played longer or shorter than needed, and won't feel abrupt if such a thing is going to happen).

You ninja'd me, lol. I agree.

DumbGamerTag94
06-17-2014, 04:05 PM
As far as real music. I wouldn't want to hear modern licensed music. Honestly I would rather there be no music if we are just wondering the city(except for fights and missions)....now hear me out.

If you are just wondering the streets of Paris not in a fight or anything. I would rather hear ambient real music appropriate for the period coming from the people in the world. For example a mob is in a square near by and I can hear a chorus of le Marseillaise being sang by the crowd(which would also warn me of an opportunity to save a person from execution). Or I go into a cafe and hear a band playing revolutionary songs of the day(kind of like the taverns of AC4). Or enter a concert hall and hear an orchestra playing Beethoven or Mozart, Handel etc. or something simmilar to that when you infiltrate a nobles home perhaps there is a performance there. Or if there is no party perhaps someone in the palace is playing a piano and singing a song in one of the rooms.

Idk I kind of like the idea of ambient music being incorporated into the world. And using actual recognizable songs from the period. I think it would be cool. Especially with all the songs that came out of the revolution like Frances current national anthem. Of course there would still have to be music for combat or to add suspense or excitement to a mission or a major point in the plot. But there doesn't always have to be music when your just walking or standing. In fact just standing in a cluttered revolutionary alleyway with nothing but the sound of the wind or the echo of a singing crowd in the distance is immersive enough for me and creates a very bleak/dark atmosphere. Just look at that sneak peak trailers opening street view to see what I'm talking about. I would rather they take an approach like that. And used actual period songs/music

Sushiglutton
06-17-2014, 04:34 PM
There have been some very cool uses of licensed music in games like RDR, Bioshock and so on. If done well it can be super, super effective in a way an original score just can't be. So yeah I wouldn't mind that at all.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Nah not during gameplay. I still think in every game there should be a cgi trailer to teardrop ;P nothing fits the assassins better.

Example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYyjy2A7XYA