PDA

View Full Version : Polygon 20 minute interview with Amancio.

ArabianFrost
06-11-2014, 04:03 PM
He goes more into depth about the narrative of the story and how side-content affects the ways by which you can approach the main assassinations. Moreover, he explains the two main mission structures of the game, both of which are very complementary of the pillars and sense of investigation. Also, the database entries now actually have hidden clues! There's also a joke at the 12 minute mark about the FPS missions, he takes it like a champ. He really was misunderstood in ACR .It's very insightful about the team's vision for the game. I really love how they approached Unity.

http://www.polygon.com/e3-2014/2014/6/10/5798592/assassins-creed-unity-female-assassins

kosmoscreed
06-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Pretty awesome interview, someone should make a thread with all the interviews from E3.

egriffin09
06-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Pretty awesome interview, someone should make a thread with all the interviews from E3.

Interviews and articles. Here's an gameinformer article:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/assassins_creed_unity/b/xboxone/archive/2014/06/11/ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-assassin-s-creed-unity.aspx

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Normally I get sick of most feminists for complaining about things, but this is just silly.

Ubisoft has plenty of resources.

They can deal with a delay if it means including both sexes.

killzab
06-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Normally I get sick of most feminists for complaining about things, but this is just silly.

Ubisoft has plenty of resources.

They can deal with a delay if it means including both sexes.

Agreed, it's complete BS. Addind boobs doesn't demand that much effort and is worth it :p

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Well that's not true. Women (at least the generic figure) has a significantly different shape from males. You really would have to recreate all the assets and maybe tweak the physics engine at least. It is a lot of more work.

But Ubi should have the decency to include it. I mean come on it's the 21st century.

I think they didnt think much of it and are a bit surprised by the reaction. They'll probably include female co-op characters in the next game. Or maybe as DLC. Who knows.

killzab
06-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Well that's not true. Women (at least the generic figure) has a significantly different shape from males. You really would have to recreate all the assets and maybe tweak the physics engine at least. It is a lot of more work.

But Ubi should have the decency to include it. I mean come on it's the 21st century.

I think they didnt think much of it and are a bit surprised by the reaction. They'll probably include female co-op characters in the next game. Or maybe as DLC. Who knows.

I know, I know I was just kidding :)

But they'd better have a female assassin in the game even if not playable ( like in the leaked picture of the main protagonists)

Shahkulu101
06-11-2014, 04:25 PM

Give us a female Assassin Protagonist.

I'm all for diversity, I just get annoyed when people point out standalone examples of a character being white and complain about it. Like Aiden in W_D, I saw an article decrying his race. That's the first game in the series for God's sake. Are white protagonists not allowed at all in those peoples eyes? I think with AC, which has so many make protagonists and almost no female ones (does a handheld even count?) then it gets annoying. Especially when we aren't even representing any particular character in Co-op and still we can't be female?

ArabianFrost
06-11-2014, 04:26 PM
I don't really mind it. Had they opted to keep the female in, they would have done double the animation work, with double the moves to show a character that you wouldn't even see, only the others guys see it AND for only a third of the missions. It's a purely aesthetic, non-narrative thing that you wouldn't even notice yourself. Too much work so people can say they have a female character.

Give us a female Assassin Protagonist.

I'm all for diversity, I just get annoyed when people point out standalone examples of a character being white and complain about it. Like Aiden in W_D, I saw an article decrying his race. That's the first game in the series for God's sake. Are white protagonists not allowed at all in those peoples eyes? I think with AC, which has so many make protagonists and almost no female ones (does a handheld even count?) then it gets annoying. Especially when we aren't even representing any particular character in Co-op and still we can't be female?

People are getting WAY WAY WAY too politically correct with their games these days. When I play games, I really couldn't give a rat's *** if they want to have a black, Jewish gay transsexual as a protag, nevertheless a white one. I'm not looking for games to validate my opinions. I just want to play a damn game, how Ubi does it is up to them as long as it isn't sexist.

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 04:31 PM
I've changed my mind.

We play as Arno in co-op no matter what.

So whether there's female co-op assassins barely make a difference for us. We wouldn't be playing as them anyway.

Makes sense they dont waste resources on such a minor detail.

Shahkulu101
06-11-2014, 04:33 PM
People are getting WAY WAY WAY too politically correct with their games these days. When I play games, I really couldn't give a rat's *** if they want to have a black, Jewish gay transsexual as a protag, nevertheless a white one. I'm not looking for games to validate my opinions. I just want to play a damn game, how Ubi does it is up to them as long as it isn't sexist.

I understand I'm on your side in that respect, but Females can be awesome Assassins too and I want to play as one. Nothing politically motivated.

And art is political in its presentation sometimes by the way. Unless you're saying games are toys and don't have anything meaningful to say.

egriffin09
06-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Alex talks about Co-op @ 0:40. I'm glad to hear that SP is SP. But there are optional brotherhood missions (side content) that can be completed solo or with up to 3 friends, so everything can be done solo if the player chooses too. :D

@5:40 talks about something called blackbox and the new AMM mission structure. Sounds promising, that the mission will adapt to the your play style.

There's nothing I've heard about Unity that I have not completely agreed with.

Megas_Doux
06-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Everything with a grain of salt, but I like what I am seeing.....

ArabianFrost
06-11-2014, 04:49 PM
I understand I'm on your side in that respect, but Females can be awesome Assassins too and I want to play as one. Nothing politically motivated.

And art is political in its presentation sometimes by the way. Unless you're saying games are toys and don't have anything meaningful to say.

Games can deliver messages, but I don't really see how they are prevented from doing so without a female protag. Unless the message can be affected by a way only a female can affect it, then it's really the same game but different approaches to that mission.

For example, say the protag was a female instead of Arno and you play as a mother who lost her child and feels guilty for it then joins the Assassins, at the end, the message the game delivers and it's the one all AC games send is that this world is messed up, gray and no side (assassins or templars) are right. We can lead to those missions in different ways. If Ubisoft decides it doesn't want to use a woman's tragedy to send the message, but instead uses a male, then it's their choice, it doesn't have to be out of sexism. Mind you, I don't work in the industry, so take what I say with a grain of salt. If companies actually halt any ideas because they have a female protag in it, then that's sexism, but if the writers do so willingly, then I don't see how they're sexist, sure it takes away from the diversity of the stories since we don't really get to see the unique struggles of a female character, but if that's how they roll, then alright.

All that said, I really want to see more female-sided stories appearing. We've seen the father-daughter figure too many times. I'd really love a mother-son/daughter story or any other story only seen through the eyes of a female protag.

Pantherine
06-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Can someone explain Co Op a bit more to me please? is it just the faces that are different on our screens or the whole character including the outfit and gear?

ArabianFrost
06-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Can someone explain Co Op a bit more to me please? is it just the faces that are different on our screens or the whole character including the outfit and gear?

Only the faces are different, but that's to other players, everything else is the same. The outfits and gear others see on your own player is that which you already have in SP.

Sushiglutton
06-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Could listen to Alex for hours, really great interview! The way he describes the two mission types sounds too good to be true. I'm super curious to find out this fall :D!

Wolfmeister1010
06-11-2014, 05:30 PM
I like the "cafe" idea of your villa. Really like it.

Jexx21
06-11-2014, 06:31 PM
What I want to know is how the co-op mechanic will be explained in story.. I hope that the faces that are imprinted on the other three characters are always the same faces and that they are actually story characters as well, otherwise it would sort of suck in a story sense.

Hans684
06-11-2014, 06:33 PM
I like the "cafe" idea of your villa. Really like it.

A tasty blade in the city.

Jexx21
06-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Y'know, I actually find it really weird that you're complaining about Amancio confirming no female co-op players when that was done at the end of the interview, and earlier he confirmed that you're always playing as Arno even in co-op. I also find it strange that the media isn't even mentioning that.

YAY LET'S DO THE SENSATIONALIST REPORTING THING

AherasSTRG
06-11-2014, 06:46 PM
25% of my hype died out when I learnt that we only see ourselves as Arno. I liked the idea of being aboe to play with 4 different characters. Nevertheless, if they add enough skins and costumisation options, then I will eventually have no problem with that. However, I need a complete walkthrough of all the costumisation options available in the game before I can decide.

For example: Can I find the specific skin that I like and make it favor the specific playstyle that I like? Will I be able to change the colours of outfits to make them exactly as I like?

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Still rustles my jimmies people won't see the outfit I'm wearing in co-op.

What is this? LoL? :mad:

Jexx21
06-11-2014, 06:49 PM
I think that people will see the outfit your wearing and that's why they show different colors for the co-op Assassins..

AherasSTRG
06-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Still rustles my jimmies people won't see the outfit I'm wearing in co-op.

What is this? LoL? :mad:

No, no, all gear and weapons you hold will be displayed for your teammates to behold. Only the faces will be different.

LionHeart XXII
06-11-2014, 07:53 PM
No, no, all gear and weapons you hold will be displayed for your teammates to behold. Only the faces will be different.

YES! Exactly, the other outfits those other assassins were wearing, you will be able to customize arno to look like that AND the other players will see it! :D

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Wait so the colors are still your choice?

Shahkulu101
06-11-2014, 08:10 PM
I want violet robes.

I love all shades of purple.

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Green me up, brah.

Shahkulu101
06-11-2014, 08:14 PM
White and Red me up, brah.

Jexx21
06-11-2014, 08:16 PM
GREEN AND BLUE AND WHITE AND BLACK AND SILVER AND PURPLE AND ORANGE DUDES

I want all of those colors
I'll be mr jexxrainbow

Kirokill
06-11-2014, 08:16 PM
We want outfits of all 6 different colors.
And each has more variations.

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Pink assassin garb.

I want it.

I need it.

Now.

AherasSTRG
06-11-2014, 08:36 PM
And that's exactly where I want to come in and ask some serious questions about the costumisation:

1. Will we able to change the colours of our outfits in a way similar to the one we are accustomed to from the multiplayer modes of the latest games?

2. If I find a hood design I like, will I be able to find a variation of that hood that benefits my playstyle? (eg, I like a beaked hood skin. Will there be a beaked hood skin that actually helps my navigation build?)

Pantherine
06-11-2014, 08:36 PM
I normally like to keep the standard outfit for Assassin's Creed.

But for this game, I'll probably go for a black and red outfit.

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 08:38 PM
I usually just pick whichever outfit is most stylish to me.

AherasSTRG
06-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Either total black or a Brownish one. The question is: Will there be brown outfits that compliment a stealthy gameplay? That's what I want to know and the reason why I am anxiously waiting for the Costumisation Preview which is "Coming Soon" according to the main site.

LionHeart XXII
06-11-2014, 09:32 PM
And that's exactly where I want to come in and ask some serious questions about the costumisation:

1. Will we able to change the colours of our outfits in a way similar to the one we are accustomed to from the multiplayer modes of the latest games?

2. If I find a hood design I like, will I be able to find a variation of that hood that benefits my playstyle? (eg, I like a beaked hood skin. Will there be a beaked hood skin that actually helps my navigation build?)

I'm guessing yes on both of your questions. apparentely customization is a huge part of this game, i think that is why Arno's default look is so plain. think about, if they were going to impliment a huge amount of customization, why go out of your way to create an amazing character model like we've grown a custom to over the past couple of games. but at the end of that interview Alex made it clear that the way the other assassin's were customized to look like and the weapons they were using were all thing we could customize Arno with, so that has me very excited! basically, all the complaints about removing armor, or customizing what weapons you carry will be remedied with this game....supposedly:D

(i said customization a lot in that post)

AherasSTRG
06-11-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm guessing yes on both of your questions. apparentely customization is a huge part of this game, i think that is why Arno's default look is so plain. think about, if they were going to impliment a huge amount of customization, why go out of your way to create an amazing character model like we've grown a custom to over the past couple of games. but at the end of that interview Alex made it clear that the way the other assassin's were customized to look like and the weapons they were using were all thing we could customize Arno with, so that has me very excited! basically, all the complaints about removing armor, or customizing what weapons you carry will be remedied with this game....supposedly:D

(i said customization a lot in that post)

I want to believe we will have many many options to costumise our character exactly the way we want. Both in terms of skills and (more importantly for me) in terms of his oufit.

LionHeart XXII
06-11-2014, 10:03 PM
i understand your temperance for this feature, but BELIEVE, I really think that it will happen.

Locopells
06-12-2014, 12:00 AM
White and red, as ever, if I can.

mhg87
06-12-2014, 05:39 AM
Whichever makes Arno look the most pimpish.

roostersrule2
06-12-2014, 08:03 AM
I don't really mind it. Had they opted to keep the female in, they would have done double the animation work, with double the moves to show a character that you wouldn't even see, only the others guys see it AND for only a third of the missions. It's a purely aesthetic, non-narrative thing that you wouldn't even notice yourself. Too much work so people can say they have a female character.

People are getting WAY WAY WAY too politically correct with their games these days. When I play games, I really couldn't give a rat's *** if they want to have a black, Jewish gay transsexual as a protag, nevertheless a white one. I'm not looking for games to validate my opinions. I just want to play a damn game, how Ubi does it is up to them as long as it isn't sexist.100% agree with this.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-12-2014, 09:33 AM

This is the last AC I'll buy if they announce the next AC and show a male hero. I was disappointed by AC3 tremendously. I thought Connor's story was great, Haytham was a fantastic villain, and the entire historical story was great. But the gameplay was mediocre, the cities were rubbish since they were just colonial towns, the mission structure was very linear and rigid, etc. Then the modern day portion was a complete letdown. They had been building up Desmond to be the ultimate hero and we finally get to see the culmination of Altair's knowledge, Ezio's skills, etc. that Desmond has acquired via the Bleeding Effect and what do we get? A mission where we climb an empty skyscraper (because we havent climbed enough empty locations as Desmond at this point already... -_-), one mission that actually feels somewhat like an actual modern day AC mission thought linear (which makes sense) but very short, and what? The Abstergo mission? Maybe I'm forgetting another one? And then we couldn't even replay them if we finished the game!

AC4 never interested me because pirates. But Havana looked promising but then I find out it's barely even used and the game instead wants me on the oceans or small islands. So meh. Unity looks like everything I've wanted from AC since AC2. AC1 was a great base and AC2 built on that. It lost the freedom of assassination missions but I was hoping they'd return eventually. But then we got yearly releases and 2 spin off games that weren't really spin offs because they were essential to know the modern day story and then 3 was the aforementioned let down... But ACU looks brilliant. So I don't want AC3 or 4 to be my last AC experience. If I must have a final AC game, I want it to be good and so far, Unity looks GREAT. I really want a game set in China with a female protagonist. Not necessarily Shao Jun because I don't want them to necessarily go back to the 1500s so it could just be a different chinese female assassin from an earlier time period or something.

pirate1802
06-12-2014, 03:01 PM
GREEN AND BLUE AND WHITE AND BLACK AND SILVER AND PURPLE AND ORANGE DUDES

I want all of those colors
I'll be mr jexxrainbow

Son, you're embarrassing yourself.

Red and black for me, if colours are choosable.