PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions about Unity that NEED to be answered

Evenesque
06-10-2014, 08:04 PM
1) How do they explain playing as another character and combining that with the customization they've talked about for Arno?

2) Most importantly to me, how much of the game is finite? Are all the side activities built to only be played through once? I would understand if the murder mystery things were finite, it would be sort of weird to see it twice exactly the same and I get the impression they aren't systemically made. It DOES NOT MAKE SENSE, however, for assassination missions and side activities like them and others to only be playable once. This is my biggest little problem with Assassin's Creed. Assassination missions from pigeon coops and whatnot (and restricted areas that weren't for missions) were only doable once, and then never again. I never understood this. These missions take what you advertise and spend the most time on with the game and you only let us do it a certain number of times. They need to be repeatable so the game doesn't end up like Watch Dogs.

Side Note: My biggest issue with Assassins Creed, even bigger than the side activities being a 1 time thing, was the way stealth worked. I always felt like I was either running at a full sprint between bushes that someone obviously saw, or I was standing awkwardly in places where I should be trying my best to stay small and hidden. This, thank god, has been solved in exactly the way I wanted it to be: a cover system by way of Splinter Cell. Bravo on that guys.

superkootje
06-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Possibly the CO-OP is going to be like Watch_Dogs, you see Arno, others see another character.

Evenesque
06-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Possibly the CO-OP is going to be like Watch_Dogs, you see Arno, others see another character.

That wouldn't work because on your screen you'd be using a sword but according to other people you might be using a spear or a 2h axe...

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 12:28 AM
That wouldn't work because on your screen you'd be using a sword but according to other people you might be using a spear or a 2h axe...

You can equip Arno with an axe, spear, or whatever you want. The other players will just see what you have equipped, but with a different face and probably a different outfit.

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 12:31 AM
You can equip Arno with an axe, spear, or whatever you want. The other players will just see what you have equipped, but with a different face and probably a different outfit.

I don't mean to sound like an *** but, you got any proof?

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 12:35 AM
I don't mean to sound like an *** but, you got any proof?

IGN lists a maple rifle, razorhead spear, and some kind of axe as preorder bonuses. Besides, why would you think we'd be stuck with only swords?

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 12:52 AM
IGN lists a maple rifle, razorhead spear, and some kind of axe as preorder bonuses. Besides, why would you think we'd be stuck with only swords?

I didn't. I was wondering if we'd be logging into other peoples games as different people or not.

Kayewla
06-11-2014, 01:11 AM
Actually I have this feeling that the Assassins we've seen so far in the co-op demo are all Arno - 4 different Arnos customized by 4 different players. AC: Unity's main site has one major feature left to reveal it seems: "Deep Customization to Craft Your Own Master Assassin. Coming soon." I interpret that as us being able to make the main character into our very own version of Arno, by customizing his outfit and general appearance (to a certain degree). If the customization is "deep" as claimed, that would imply a large variety of customization options.

It also fits quite well with the idea created with the AMM system, where we now have much more control over the main character's style and approach in his missions.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 01:30 AM
I didn't. I was wondering if we'd be logging into other peoples games as different people or not.

I'm guessing when you log into another person's game, they see you with all of your customization options (including clothes and weapons) but with a non-Arno face. I at first assumed that the outfit would be random too, but if the customization is as deep as they say then there shouldn't be a problem with other people seeing your Arno clothes (i.e. it wouldn't be four people running around in blue default robes).

Wolfmeister1010
06-11-2014, 01:37 AM
Hm..But what if the assassins actually have small stories of their own? You guys are forgetting that in the e3 co op demo, it split into 4 screens, and each showed a different assassin, as if the players knew that they weren't playing as Arno.

Or they could just be "nameless recruits".

It is interesting to see how they make this.. I am sure it is one of the most asked questions.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 01:41 AM
Hm..But what if the assassins actually have small stories of their own?

Or they could just be "nameless recruits".

It is interesting to see how they make this.. I am sure it is one of the most asked questions.

I really don't think they will. I said this recently in another thread, but if you can play the co-op missions alone, or with one other person, or with two other people, then there's no way that all four Assassins could be full characters with story arcs in these missions. The only way they could do it is if they had three other Assassins in the main story whose faces got superimposed onto the other players' Arno character, but that would be really confusing when their gear and weapons were wildly different every time they showed up in a co-op mission.

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 02:09 AM
My guess is that the missions are going to be run on hosts and the person who initiates the mission is the person hosting but also playing as Arno and the people the mission invites will have a load screen like in Watch Dogs and they'll be assigned one of the other 3 assassins.

Dome500
06-11-2014, 02:54 AM
Actually I have this feeling that the Assassins we've seen so far in the co-op demo are all Arno - 4 different Arnos customized by 4 different players. AC: Unity's main site has one major feature left to reveal it seems: "Deep Customization to Craft Your Own Master Assassin. Coming soon." I interpret that as us being able to make the main character into our very own version of Arno, by customizing his outfit and general appearance (to a certain degree). If the customization is "deep" as claimed, that would imply a large variety of customization options.

It also fits quite well with the idea created with the AMM system, where we now have much more control over the main character's style and approach in his missions.

The way I would have done it is simple and impactfull: If doing Coop no one is Arno, they are all other members of the Brotherhood.

That being said, if we have our "own Arno" I don't see a huge problem, especially since the dialogue will probably only be done by the NPC's and Arno will talk little.

Jexx21
06-11-2014, 02:58 AM
The thing is though, if in co-op we're all playing as Arno, then why show four different versions of him in the box art and the official trailer?

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:13 AM
The thing is though, if in co-op we're all playing as Arno, then why show four different versions of him in the box art and the official trailer?

To showcase the 4-player co-op, of course... They can't very well show us four guys with Arno's face. Besides, in your own personal "lore," the other players ARE different Assassins, just like Ezio's recruits.

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 03:13 AM

Yea they wouldn't be showing 4 random assassins on box art and the E3 banner that covered an entire exterior floor of a building. I feel like my guess is as close as I've seen to correct so far because in the co op demo he accepts the mission but we never see a load screen. And, like it was stated earlier, the 4 different screens showed 4 different characters in the demo so you see yourself as exactly as everyone else does, so those have to be real characters you pick from. Maybe the host gets his mission seamlessly and the invites that are accepted get randomly assigned one of the other two assassins. Maybe you have your own brotherhood alternate assassin to customize for co-op missions.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:15 AM
Maybe you have your own brotherhood alternate assassin to customize for co-op missions.

Doubtful, because then the host wouldn't be able to access their brotherhood alternate for the mission they started. They'd be stuck with Arno.

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 03:23 AM
Doubtful, because then the host wouldn't be able to access their brotherhood alternate for the mission they started. They'd be stuck with Arno.

That's the point. The alternate would be for when you aren't host i.e. when you're helping someone else out.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:26 AM
That's the point. The alternate would be for when you aren't host i.e. when you're helping someone else out.

They explicitly said that your Arno upgrades carry over to co-op though, and now we know from the alternate hood DLC that clothes affect gameplay as well. I'm like 99% sure you'll just be playing as your Arno and the other players will see a different face on you.

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 03:28 AM
They explicitly said that your Arno upgrades carry over to co-op though, and now we know from the alternate hood DLC that clothes affect gameplay as well. I'm like 99% sure you'll just be playing as your Arno and the other players will see a different face on you.

Then explain to my why the other 3 characters' faces don't look like Arno.

http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/dir_3210/image_321077_full.jpg

Here's another one. The guy on the left is definitely not Arno.

http://www.cheats.co/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Unity-assassins.jpg

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:33 AM
Then explain to my why the other 3 characters' faces don't look like Arno.

http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/dir_3210/image_321077_full.jpg

Here's another one. The guy on the left is definitely not Arno.

http://www.cheats.co/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Unity-assassins.jpg

Did you even read my post? I'm saying that other players DON'T see your face as Arno. Everyone is playing as Arno in their own game, but they all see each other with non-Arno faces. The guys in the posters are supposed to be other players, obviously they aren't going to put up posters with four clones of the same guy on them, because not only would that be confusing, it wouldn't be how you saw the other player's faces in-game. Just like Watch_Dogs where everyone always plays as Aiden.

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 03:38 AM
Did you even read my post? I'm saying that other players DON'T see your face as Arno. Everyone is playing as Arno in their own game, but they all see each other with non-Arno faces. The guys in the posters are supposed to be other players, obviously they aren't going to put up posters with four clones of the same guy on them, because not only would that be confusing, it wouldn't be how you saw the other player's faces in-game. Just like Watch_Dogs where everyone always plays as Aiden.

So basically you're saying it's doing what watch dogs is doing, but instead of replacing their entire character it just replaces that persons face and keeps their clothes and equipment the same to everyone including the player controlling them. Right?

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:40 AM
So basically you're saying it's doing what watch dogs is doing, but instead of replacing their entire character it just replaces that persons face and keeps their clothes and equipment the same to everyone including the player controlling them. Right?

Pretty much, yeah.

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 03:44 AM
Pretty much, yeah.

That....sounds pretty cool actually. I do still think though that the other 3 identities it assigns to non-hosts will be actual characters. it does make sense though considering in the pictures they're all almost identical in terms of physique and build.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:51 AM
That....sounds pretty cool actually. I do still think though that the other 3 identities it assigns to non-hosts will be actual characters. it does make sense though considering in the pictures they're all almost identical in terms of physique and build.

I guess they could technically use the faces of other Assassins from the story, but the reason I don't think they'd do that is because then each time you saw the character they'd be using completely different gear and weapons. I just think it would be confusing if each time you saw the character's face, they were using a completely different fighting style, main weapon, or whatever, and wearing a totally different robe. I think it would get confusing that way, so I bet they'll just have a roster of male faces that randomly appear on each player, and just portray them as unrelated Assassins Arno doesn't know personally, but are just there to do a job with him.

Layytez
06-11-2014, 03:53 AM
I think those other characters are actual ones and are controlled by the AI when you doing co-op missions alone. They may also appear in general SP missions too.

Dome500
06-11-2014, 03:57 AM
Yeah I still think they are actual characters in the sp.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 04:03 AM
I think those other characters are actual ones and are controlled by the AI when you doing co-op missions alone. They may also appear in general SP missions too.

I hope to hell they aren't controlled by AI. No way could they be strategically valid as AIs.

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 04:12 AM
I hope to hell they aren't controlled by AI. No way could they be strategically valid as AIs.

Yea the way Amancio explained it he was saying you could do the brotherhood missions alone but it would be really hard or just harder than if you brought other people in. So it sounds like you can just do it solo without any help from real players and no A.I.

The timing and things you'd have to pull off with A.I. they'd basically have to be sentient.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 07:43 AM
I'm gonna brag a little bit because my theory was absolutely right ;):p 20:40 of this video, he confirms that everybody plays as Arno and still has all of their SP gear, but only the faces are different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2haN0FD-9jM

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Man Amancio just unloaded details on those guys. Nice work on being right. I wish people asked about infinite side activities and stuff like that though. It's a huge deal to the longevity of a game and nobody talks about it.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-11-2014, 09:09 AM

Wait...what? What's the "alternate hood DLC"?

@OP: I sure hope the side activities are infinite. The ones that make sense. But those murder mysteries should be replayable via the DNA memory sequence similar to how tombs were replayable. I won't hold my breath though... :x

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Man Amancio just unloaded details on those guys. Nice work on being right. I wish people asked about infinite side activities and stuff like that though. It's a huge deal to the longevity of a game and nobody talks about it.

Yeah, you'd think that would be the type of question being asked, but who knows. There was that "kill the crooks" event that popped up, so could that mean we have our much-anticipated random events? :eek:

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Wait...what? What's the "alternate hood DLC"?

Crap, I can't remember where I first saw it, but somewhere among the mess of preorder bonuses and special editions is a bit of DLC that gives you a new hood that enhances Eagle Sense. There are alternate shirts and pants too, but the ones I saw were subtitled in German so I don't know if they have any special powers other than looking cool. So yeah, it's confirmed that there are at least three levels of customization, being the hood, torso, and legs.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Crap, I can't remember where I first saw it, but somewhere among the mess of preorder bonuses and special editions is a bit of DLC that gives you a new hood that enhances Eagle Sense. There are alternate shirts and pants too, but the ones I saw were subtitled in German so I don't know if they have any special powers other than looking cool. So yeah, it's confirmed that there are at least three levels of customization, being the hood, torso, and legs.

YES!!!!!

I hope that's for real, for real! I want different hoods: hoods with beaks, hoods without beaks, etc. I'm assuming there will be hoods that are a standard hood and then moreof the classic AC-style hood. If true, I'm a happy camper. I love me my iconic (if not entirely subtle) white/red robes with beaked hood look. So now all I want out of customization is the Assassin White coloration...

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 09:32 AM
YES!!!!!

I hope that's for real, for real! I want different hoods: hoods with beaks, hoods without beaks, etc. I'm assuming there will be hoods that are a standard hood and then moreof the classic AC-style hood. If true, I'm a happy camper. I love me my iconic (if not entirely subtle) white/red robes with beaked hood look. So now all I want out of customization is the Assassin White coloration...

I'm pretty sure there will be a wide variety of hoods. One of the guys in the co-op trailer was wearing a jester-style hood (which looked stupid as all hell IMO but at least it shows there's diversity).

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-11-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty sure there will be a wide variety of hoods. One of the guys in the co-op trailer was wearing a jester-style hood (which looked stupid as all hell IMO but at least it shows there's diversity).

Oh I didn't notice that. It seems as though the customization is going to be prettyyyy in depth.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Oh I didn't notice that. It seems as though the customization is going to be prettyyyy in depth.

Let's hope so :)

I wonder how it'll work though... do you figure each item of clothing is static and unchangeable like in GTA5, or do you think we'll just get an item of each "style" (i.e. a plain hood, a, beaked hood, a jester hood, etc.) that can be dyed to whichever color we want?

RinoTheBouncer
06-11-2014, 11:10 AM
One thing I don’t understand so far is why people aren’t even trying to ask about the modern day story and what became of it and even the historical story. So far, all the promotional materials are showing the co-op and the graphics and some new moves but nothing at all about the story. We’ve known that the Assassin is called Arno Dorian and his stepfather died because of him, but what else? is that gonna be the only thing we’re talking about? what about First Civ. mythology? Napoleon? anything?

Farlander1991
06-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Napoleon's in the game, they're still keeping the modern story wrapped a bit so even if anybody asks them they won't say anything.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Let's hope so :)

I wonder how it'll work though... do you figure each item of clothing is static and unchangeable like in GTA5, or do you think we'll just get an item of each "style" (i.e. a plain hood, a, beaked hood, a jester hood, etc.) that can be dyed to whichever color we want?

Oh... you mean like will there be say 3 hoods, one is the "Stalker" hood, one is the "Brawler" hood, and the last one is the "Blarg" hood. Stalker has a beak and is black with white trim but that's it, Brawler is brown with stitching and that's it, and the Blarg hood is green with pink polka dots and we just have to settle for those options...

OR the ability to color each piece of outfit how we see fit... hm. Good question. I HOPEHOPEHOPE it's the latter rather than the former. But it IS Ubi after all. They're the ones who refused to let us ever unequip armor once we got it... FOR THREE GAMES IN A ROW DESPITE THE CRITICISMS. Ugh.ts that wouldn

I'm hoping the customization is like this:

You have Arno's default/starting robes. You can then customize pieces of his outfit such as the hood type, torso, and pants. You can color them how you like. Then the game also features completely different outfits entirely for you to equip and those will be static. So those outfits would be like AC4's outfits. For instance, an officer-esque outfit, a peasant outfit, a noble outfit, etc. Outfits that wouldn't exactly work as slight tweaks to Arno's basic outfit.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Oh... you mean like will there be say 3 hoods, one is the "Stalker" hood, one is the "Brawler" hood, and the last one is the "Blarg" hood. Stalker has a beak and is black with white trim but that's it, Brawler is brown with stitching and that's it, and the Blarg hood is green with pink polka dots and we just have to settle for those options...

OR the ability to color each piece of outfit how we see fit... hm. Good question. I HOPEHOPEHOPE it's the latter rather than the former. But it IS Ubi after all. They're the ones who refused to let us ever unequip armor once we got it... FOR THREE GAMES IN A ROW DESPITE THE CRITICISMS.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of having a bunch of different hoods, possibly with color variants of each (let's say Green Blarg Hood, Blue Blarg Hood, White Blarg Hood, etc) or just having one of each hood "archetype" that we could dye ourselves.

You have Arno's default/starting robes. You can then customize pieces of his outfit such as the hood type, torso, and pants. You can color them how you like. Then the game also features completely different outfits entirely for you to equip and those will be static. So those outfits would be like AC4's outfits. For instance, an officer-esque outfit, a peasant outfit, a noble outfit, etc. Outfits that wouldn't exactly work as slight tweaks to Arno's basic outfit.

They did mention something about a "disguise" mechanic, but no word on how that actually works.

Farlander1991
06-11-2014, 11:24 AM
They did mention something about a "disguise" mechanic, but no word on how that actually works.

I have a feeling it's something along the lines of 'morph' in multiplayer. If you go to the co-op section of the website (http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB/games/assassins-creed-unity/new-multiplayer/index.aspx) and go down a little, you'll see a pic of four assassins and their abilities (ability examples I think), one of them says 'morph' and is described as 'disguise yourself and your allies'.

shobhit7777777
06-11-2014, 11:28 AM
I have a feeling it's something along the lines of 'morph' in multiplayer. If you go to the co-op section of the website (http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB/games/assassins-creed-unity/new-multiplayer/index.aspx) and go down a little, you'll see a pic of four assassins and their abilities (ability examples I think), one of them says 'morph' and is described as 'disguise yourself and your allies'.

True

But in the SP commented walkthrough...it was mentioned by Amancio that you could disguise yourself and walk up to the target. Now what confuses me is whether if it is a coop specific mechanic or available in SP as well.

If you DO disguise yourself in SP...then as what? And how? Morph? I'd hate that...it'd absolutely shatter immersion.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 11:29 AM

It's talked about in the SP trailer though, and I don't think they'd use any sort of Animus junk like the MP abilities for a core SP mechanic.

RinoTheBouncer
06-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Napoleon's in the game, they're still keeping the modern story wrapped a bit so even if anybody asks them they won't say anything.

I just hope that they’ve brought a 3rd person modern day. I know it’s highly unlikely but lets wish they did. I’m really sick of what they did to it and I honestly feel more immersed and being “in the game” while playing as Lara Croft or Ezio Auditore in 3rd person than this reductive way. The only thing I feel is seeing a floating iPad.

Farlander1991
06-11-2014, 11:32 AM
True

But in the SP commented walkthrough...it was mentioned by Amancio that you could disguise yourself and walk up to the target. Now what confuses me is whether if it is a coop specific mechanic or available in SP as well.

If you DO disguise yourself in SP...then as what? And how? Morph? I'd hate that...it'd absolutely shatter immersion.

Well, they do mention a skill-tree system and everything between co-op and sp is shared. We do not know if it's an instant morph like in multiplayer, though, or if it's got to be done at specific locations (ala changing rooms in Liberation). Plus, who knows, there might be different morph 'perks' (i.e. outfits we have) so we're just quickly changing.

As long as it's not a transformation to absolutely another avatar ala exactly like in multiplayer, I'm fine with it. It won't break my immersion personally, I'm used to Animus trickery (could be just it skipping time it took for us to change).

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Well, they do mention a skill-tree system and everything between co-op and sp is shared. We do not know if it's an instant morph like in multiplayer, though, or if it's got to be done at specific locations (ala changing rooms in Liberation). Plus, who knows, there might be different morph 'perks' (i.e. outfits we have) so we're just quickly changing.

As long as it's not a transformation to absolutely another avatar ala exactly like in multiplayer, I'm fine with it. It won't break my immersion personally, I'm used to Animus trickery (could be just it skipping time it took for us to change).

I'm hoping it's just removing the hood and walking in an inconspicuous way (like AC1's blend, except obviously not praying since who the hell would be praying in the middle of a revolutionary mob)

Farlander1991
06-11-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm hoping it's just removing the hood and walking in an inconspicuous way (like AC1's blend, except obviously not praying since who the hell would be praying in the middle of a revolutionary mob)

Whichever way it's done, so far (at least if they don't change anything), it's a fact that there's a morph ability and regardless of how it works there's a very high percentage of it being use-able at any given point due to how sp and co-op have everything shared: skills, armor, weapons. Also worthy of note that the abilities descriptions have 'yourself and your allies', and since we can play co-op missions solo... remove 'allies', becomes just 'yourself'... and since we would be able to use that in co-op missions, don't see a reason to not use it in the whole other game.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Whichever way it's done, so far (at least if they don't change anything), it's a fact that there's a morph ability and regardless of how it works there's a very high percentage of it being use-able at any given point due to how sp and co-op have everything shared: skills, armor, weapons. Also worthy of note that the abilities descriptions have 'yourself and your allies', and since we can play co-op missions solo... remove 'allies', becomes just 'yourself'... and since we would be able to use that in co-op missions, don't see a reason to not use it in the whole other game.

Yeah, I don't doubt it's the same between modes, but I'm just hoping it isn't some bogus Animus thing.

Farlander1991
06-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I don't doubt it's the same between modes, but I'm just hoping it isn't some bogus Animus thing.

Yeah, it all depends on how it's actually implemented. I don't want it to be an 'animus hack' of multiplayer (which can even change genders). I don't think I'll mind that much if it's instant, but requires some prerequisites (like buying an outfit or smth). But I think the best situation would be something of having to use it on a dead/incapacitated body. Just enough animus trickery to make it quick and comfortable for the player, but not enough to break immersion or bring in anything ridiculous.

shobhit7777777
06-11-2014, 11:59 AM

How about this

Contextual Disguise Zones

Imagine one of those hiding closet from AC3/4....assassinate and drag a guard in and you have the 'Disguise' option open up. When your Assassin steps out - voila he/she is dressed as that NPC. Want to back into the robes? Step into any hiding zone..and switch out.

..I hate it already...but its the most accessible and efficient way I can think of without resorting to morphing or long winded kidnapping of NPCs

Farlander1991
06-11-2014, 12:11 PM
To be perfectly honest I would prefer no disguise mechanic at all. Just social stealth. Like, I am never bothered when we spend the whole game in our Assassin outfit, but what bothers me is when we suddenly get out of it for certain missions (because in the context of the game and its fantasy... those parts actually don't make sense...). A game with disguise mechanic like Hitman is not open-world, it's got very specific locations each with a very specific structure and social context/construct. A disguise mechanic that works like Hitman is going to be more of a hassle than anything for an open-world game I feel. A bit more abstract (but not too abstract) approach is something I like more (but still would prefer no disguises).

Locopells
06-11-2014, 12:16 PM
The persona system in Liberation was probably the best compromise one that front.

shobhit7777777
06-11-2014, 01:30 PM
To be perfectly honest I would prefer no disguise mechanic at all. Just social stealth. Like, I am never bothered when we spend the whole game in our Assassin outfit, but what bothers me is when we suddenly get out of it for certain missions (because in the context of the game and its fantasy... those parts actually don't make sense...). A game with disguise mechanic like Hitman is not open-world, it's got very specific locations each with a very specific structure and social context/construct. A disguise mechanic that works like Hitman is going to be more of a hassle than anything for an open-world game I feel. A bit more abstract (but not too abstract) approach is something I like more (but still would prefer no disguises).

Partially agree.

Open world ~ Large sandbox. It can be done...but it will require a lot of effort before all the systems sync up and "Sing"

It would be fun if disguising yourself as a royal guard or anyone might lead to a particular faction gunning for you. As an Assassin you're neutral..put on the Royal guard's colours...and suddenly the crowd isn't friendly anymore...be careful when you walk into the crowds

Conversely...this opens up emergent gameplay possibilities. You could dress up as guy from faction 1 - crowd HATES faction 1 - move into the crowds...they already dislike. Hit someone. Crowd guns for you...run towards the nearest Faction 1 guards. "Guise! halp!". Faction 1 joins in...large *** melee....perfect distraction. Now THAT is social manipulation...THAT is a bunch of connected systems working with each other for you.

Gameplay can be beautiful if the systems sing together

*unzips pants*

rob.davies2014
06-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Partially agree.

Open world ~ Large sandbox. It can be done...but it will require a lot of effort before all the systems sync up and "Sing"

It would be fun if disguising yourself as a royal guard or anyone might lead to a particular faction gunning for you. As an Assassin you're neutral..put on the Royal guard's colours...and suddenly the crowd isn't friendly anymore...be careful when you walk into the crowds

Conversely...this opens up emergent gameplay possibilities. You could dress up as guy from faction 1 - crowd HATES faction 1 - move into the crowds...they already dislike. Hit someone. Crowd guns for you...run towards the nearest Faction 1 guards. "Guise! halp!". Faction 1 joins in...large *** melee....perfect distraction. Now THAT is social manipulation...THAT is a bunch of connected systems working with each other for you.

Gameplay can be beautiful if the systems sing together

*unzips pants*

That does sound very cool as a gameplay feature. But it seems slightly contradictory to the Assassins' ideology.
It's basically what the Templars did at the Boston Massacre.

shobhit7777777
06-11-2014, 02:57 PM
That does sound very cool as a gameplay feature. But it seems slightly contradictory to the Assassins' ideology.
It's basically what the Templars did at the Boston Massacre.

IDK how its contradictory....but I always felt that the Templars were just more effective.

Also, faction vs faction was in ACR....something Ezio and the Turkish Assassins wholeheartedly exploited.

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 06:22 PM
One thing I don’t understand so far is why people aren’t even trying to ask about the modern day story and what became of it and even the historical story. So far, all the promotional materials are showing the co-op and the graphics and some new moves but nothing at all about the story. We’ve known that the Assassin is called Arno Dorian and his stepfather died because of him, but what else? is that gonna be the only thing we’re talking about? what about First Civ. mythology? Napoleon? anything?

There are entire threads about that. Please don't hijack mine, which isn't focused on this.

rob.davies2014
06-11-2014, 06:53 PM
IDK how its contradictory....but I always felt that the Templars were just more effective.

Also, faction vs faction was in ACR....something Ezio and the Turkish Assassins wholeheartedly exploited.

It's manipulating people into starting a fight that they may not have started on their own, just the sort of things the Templars would be happy to do because they think they know what's best for people. But the Assassins are more for people making their own decisions.

shobhit7777777
06-11-2014, 07:09 PM
It's manipulating people into starting a fight that they may not have started on their own, just the sort of things the Templars would be happy to do because they think they know what's best for people. But the Assassins are more for people making their own decisions.

Mate, I think thats a broad ideology...I'm talking street level tactics. Assassin's don't really have qualms about getting their hands dirty in service of their overall objective...thats kind of the whole point.

jd55513
06-11-2014, 07:26 PM
As far as the Co-op goes and the Template Arno models just being customized, i'm pretty appeased about it. but my fear is, well if taken to the extreme is after all the customization options and gimmicks are unlocked in the story and 100% they will release these "Personization packs" like COD Ghost does:( Lets hope the season pass is good this year.....

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 07:32 PM
As far as the Co-op goes and the Template Arno models just being customized, i'm pretty appeased about it. but my fear is, well if taken to the extreme is after all the customization options and gimmicks are unlocked in the story and 100% they will release these "Personization packs" like COD Ghost does:( Lets hope the season pass is good this year.....

If that's all you're worried about, you're in good shape for a good game.

jd55513
06-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Yeah hopefully it stays that way, another thing i'm hoping for is those awesome slow-mo kills that Connor and to some extent Edward had that's something i hoping for. but the reality is.... at least from a business perspective is that personization packs DO sell. Imagine hood packs, and spear packs and axe packs. .....1.99 USD or 2.99 USD.....

True_Assassin92
06-11-2014, 08:14 PM
I guess a lot of stuff will be finite ofcourse. There are only 11 murder mysteries.

Kakuzu745
06-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Co-op could really ruin the game for me if it is not done right so it will be really interesting to see how they pull it off. Lets cross fingers

Dome500
06-12-2014, 11:14 PM

Because it has been confirmed we will play "us" again, which basically means MD will probably be boring as hell again and not at all interesting -.-

How about this

Contextual Disguise Zones

Imagine one of those hiding closet from AC3/4....assassinate and drag a guard in and you have the 'Disguise' option open up. When your Assassin steps out - voila he/she is dressed as that NPC. Want to back into the robes? Step into any hiding zone..and switch out.

..I hate it already...but its the most accessible and efficient way I can think of without resorting to morphing or long winded kidnapping of NPCs

Agreed.

Mate, I think thats a broad ideology...I'm talking street level tactics. Assassin's don't really have qualms about getting their hands dirty in service of their overall objective...thats kind of the whole point.

This.

Co-op could really ruin the game for me if it is not done right so it will be really interesting to see how they pull it off. Lets cross fingers

What do you understand as "done right"?