PDA

View Full Version : HUD customization in Unity?

Cjail
06-10-2014, 12:39 PM
The question it's simple: will we be able to customize the HUD in Unity?
Unity has been showed without HUD so far, which is something many games do to impress the public more, but often when the final game ships you can't turn the HUD of at all. which is why I ask.

Dag_B
06-10-2014, 12:41 PM
You could always turn of Assassin's Creeds HUD, so I see no reason, why it should be impossible in Unity. But we do not know for sure, yet.

Cjail
06-10-2014, 12:49 PM
I too think HUD customization will be there since it was there in previews AC but I usually prefer to ask months ahead of the release release than wait the last minute when the devs unlikely will be able to add/patch it just in case.

GreySkellig
06-10-2014, 04:56 PM
I highly doubt they'll be removing such a popular, perennial and straightforward feature, especially on a title where they're trying so hard to show off the visuals.

Cjail
06-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Yeah but better be safe than sorry :)

JustPlainQuirky
06-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Would be really cool if there was a widescreen + zero hud option.

Would be super immersive

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Yeah, I'm sure it'll be in. It might actually be feasible to play this game without any HUD at all :) What with the high ground feature and the AC3-style 3D waypoints, there's no longer a need for the minimap.

poptartz20
06-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Well... AC4 was close to that! But yeah! all the other games have had hud options.. I don't see why this one won't as well...

I also ask I wonder if they hide the hud because maybe the controls aren't fully set up either.

Kagurra
06-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Like everybody has said, all the other ones have it, so this one will too. I just hope it's smooth. In AC4 there was a HUD glitch where if you had the mini-map disabled but kept the Puppeteer, the Y button (at least on XB1, don't know about other systems) would get cut in half and glitch in and out over and over if you looked at anything graphically intensive.

I'm ticked Watch Dogs doesn't have HUD customization, considering all AC games have it and it was patched into FC3 because it was heavily requested. Ubi teams must have some communication, so I don't know why this hasn't been spread around that this feature is basically a requirement in these types of games in this day and age. Other things seem to be shared, I noticed a little Watch Dogs inspiration in Unity when I saw the gameplay, at least as far as the character animations, which WD did a fantastic job at.

Edit: Totally forgot this when I posted, but another part of inspiration from WD I saw and forgot to mention is how the player always sees themselves as Arno when playing online.

RinoTheBouncer
06-11-2014, 11:16 AM
One thing I loved about Desmond’s modern day is the total lack of HUDs. It was impressive how we could play the mission like real life. No health/synch bars, no instructions..etc. I know we can turn it off in the historical segment as well, but that part was built around having HUD so removing it will make it rather confusing.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 11:33 AM
One thing I loved about Desmond’s modern day is the total lack of HUDs. It was impressive how we could play the mission like real life. No health/synch bars, no instructions..etc. I know we can turn it off in the historical segment as well, but that part was built around having HUD so removing it will make it rather confusing.

I'm hoping that this new game WASN'T built around the HUD. AC1 wasn't; you could comfortably play that game with no HUD whatsoever. In the sequels it became virtually impossible to get anything done without referring to the map. The High Ground feature looks cool, and 3D waypoints mean there's no need for a minimap anymore.

pacmanate
06-11-2014, 11:38 AM
One thing I loved about Desmondís modern day is the total lack of HUDs. It was impressive how we could play the mission like real life. No health/synch bars, no instructions..etc. I know we can turn it off in the historical segment as well, but that part was built around having HUD so removing it will make it rather confusing.

With the new mission structure design and no hand holding this might be my first AC game where I play the whole thing HUD off

Kagurra
06-11-2014, 01:42 PM
With the new mission structure design and no hand holding this might be my first AC game where I play the whole thing HUD off

Agreed. I just might do the same. Maybe put the map on when going for the collectables, but that would be it. Maybe keep everything off except the puppeteer for a little while so I can get used to the new parkour/combat systems without missing anything.

Cjail
06-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Ok I have sen the HUD in the the other thread and really Ubi should allow players to customize it.

SixKeys
06-13-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm hoping that this new game WASN'T built around the HUD. AC1 wasn't; you could comfortably play that game with no HUD whatsoever. In the sequels it became virtually impossible to get anything done without referring to the map. The High Ground feature looks cool, and 3D waypoints mean there's no need for a minimap anymore.

What's this about 3D waypoints?

SlyTrooper
06-13-2014, 08:48 PM
What's this about 3D waypoints?

I believe he means the high-ground feature :)

Personally, I think that it looks a little bit clunky at the moment. They should definitely make it so the icons don't block the view of Arno. The way the demo had it would make it very difficult to see what we are doing on rooftops, as there would most likely be more icons than was shown after a while of exploring Paris. Of course, this could easily be fixed by making it only appear at the press of a button. It wouldn't even matter then if it blocked the view of Arno because we would be wanting to see the icons anyway.

Kirokill
06-13-2014, 09:18 PM
I believe he means the high-ground feature :)

Personally, I think that it looks a little bit clunky at the moment. They should definitely make it so the icons don't block the view of Arno. The way the demo had it would make it very difficult to see what we are doing on rooftops, as there would most likely be more icons than was shown after a while of exploring Paris. Of course, this could easily be fixed by making it only appear at the press of a button. It wouldn't even matter then if it blocked the view of Arno because we would be wanting to see the icons anyway.

Agree with the button thing.
I think by 3D way points is that if you put a way point on the map you don't have to look at the minimap to see the location but it appears on your screen.

SlyTrooper
06-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Agree with the button thing.
I think by 3D way points is that if you put a way point on the map you don't have to look at the minimap to see the location but it appears on your screen.

Wouldn't the waypoint get covered up by the high-ground feature when on top of buildings? I believe that is why it needs to be triggered by the press of a button. Or maybe they could have us select what we want to see with the high-ground feature.

Sushiglutton
06-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Super important to me that Unity has solid HUD customization options! Last thing I want is to receive pop-up messages and getting peppered by icons when exploring beautiful Paris! It's also a great way to let players adjust the difficulty in stealth.

Dome500
06-14-2014, 12:04 AM
I would love that. Thief (2014) did a great job with that

Cjail
10-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Sorry If I dig this back but I wanted to know if Ubi confirmed/said something about HUD customization in AC: Unity.

Cjail
11-13-2014, 02:34 PM
It's me again.
Now that the game is out can anyone tell me if we can customize and turn off the HUD.