PDA

View Full Version : Let's discuss combat

Dev_Anj
06-10-2014, 09:07 AM
From the official Assassin's Creed page:

COMBAT
EASY TO LEARN, HARD TO MASTER

There are three core principles of fighting in Assassin’s Creed Unity: Attack, Dodge and Parry. How you use these elements in combination takes creativity and quick thinking, and each battle will require you to use them differently. In order to survive, you will need to adapt to the style and strategy of your opponents, particularly when multiple enemies enter the fray.

As the most wanted man in Paris, you’ll encounter a vast array of foes, each with their own weapons, abilities, and motivations. In group Combat, your enemies’ tactics will change, and opponents won’t hesitate to attack simultaneously. While you may be able to handily defeat a target alone, you could find the odds against you when he brings in backup.

So now there are three basic moves, enemies can attack simultaneously, and enemies will have different weapons and abilities. All sounds interesting. What do you think of it?

Legendz54
06-10-2014, 09:25 AM
I wonder if firing lines will make a return? Saw them in the trailer but not in the demo. they probably will make a return since its past AC3's events.. whenever i got hit by one of those more than once i had to run or use a meat shield.. 4 Assassins would need even more guards to make it challenging.

GunnerGalactico
06-10-2014, 09:31 AM
I don't suppose they have a counter kill system anymore, but I'm ecstatic that they made Arno's fighting style quick and clinical.

Farlander1991
06-10-2014, 09:35 AM
If they removed counter-kill that's great news. It's a move that should've been removed long ago back in AC2.

AC1 combat system was awesome. With the exception of the counter that creates a dominant strategy and makes any kind of offensive strategy pointless (you had a chance to get countered yourself so why would you want to do that when you can just wait for them a second to attack you?)

GunnerGalactico
06-10-2014, 09:39 AM
At least during combat, it will feel like you are the one that's actually fighting and doing all the work... not pushing a button to trigger a cool looking kill animation.

LoyalACFan
06-10-2014, 10:25 AM
At least during combat, it will feel like you are the one that's actually fighting and doing all the work... not pushing a button to trigger a cool looking kill animation.

Agree, but I hope the cool kill animations are still there. I enjoy them, but you should have to work for them, and they shouldn't be painfully long animations either.

In any case, the little bit of combat I've seen has left me hopeful, though I've only seen "duels" versus a relatively tough opponent. I'll have to see how things go in groups of regulars (which I imagine will be the bulk of our sword fodder) before I can pass judgment. I love the elegant moves I've seen though.

dxsxhxcx
06-10-2014, 02:45 PM
"EASY TO LEARN, HARD TO MASTER" wasn't this the motto of ACR's combat? xD

anyway, I'll take anything regarding combat with half a grain of salt until I see it with my own eyes in the game, it's been a lot of time I've been waiting for a better combat system but they always fail to deliver. Unfortunately there's more to combat than just the way we, the player, interact with it, with a poor AI you can have the best combat system in the world that this won't mean a thing if the enemies just stand there waiting to be slaughtered, something I could see it didn't seem to have changed according to the gameplay trailer. What's the point in remove counter kills if the enemies take years to attack and you can parry all atacks without consequence? All you need to do is keep pressing the attack button and the enemy will eventually die, there must be countermeasures to avoid this kind of thing in order to make the use of the protagonist set of skills a must, otherwise combat in AC will never be fixed.

say all you want about AC1's combat but at least in that game the guards stood a chance (even if a small one)...

If they removed counter-kill that's great news. It's a move that should've been removed long ago back in AC2.

AC1 combat system was awesome. With the exception of the counter that creates a dominant strategy and makes any kind of offensive strategy pointless (you had a chance to get countered yourself so why would you want to do that when you can just wait for them a second to attack you?)

at least on my experience with AC1, if you kept countering/parrying all the time eventually the guard would break your defense and hit you, they also used to grab you and throw you around quite a few times, something that we don't see in the other games, it also took more than "a second" for the guards to attack you in AC1 as well, and this is a problem that persist until today (and probably is one of the main problems with combat), AC1 also had a smaller counter window, so even if the counter kills were overpowered (and they are, I'm not denying that), the chance to fail to counter an attack was present and happened a lot of times, now they blow up that window and made a huge hole in the wall to use as the "window", while this doesn't change, the enemies will never stood a chance.

m4r-k7
06-10-2014, 03:06 PM
I loved AC 1 attacks. Seems they are bringing back the light and heavy attacks from that game. Super stoked that they actively want to bring back the "assasin" feel as seen in AC 1. About time they re-invented all the core mechanics again. Really excited for this!

Cjail
06-10-2014, 03:23 PM
"EASY TO LEARN, HARD TO MASTER" wasn't this the motto of ACR's combat? xD

anyway, I'll take anything regarding combat with half a grain of salt until I see it with my own eyes in the game, it's been a lot of time I've been waiting for a better combat system but they always fail to deliver. Unfortunately there's more to combat than just the way we, the player, interact with it, with a poor AI you can have the best combat system in the world that this won't mean a thing if the enemies just stand there waiting to be slaughtered, something I could see it didn't seem to have changed according to the gameplay trailer. What's the point in remove counter kills if the enemies take years to attack and you can parry all atacks without consequence? All you need to do is keep pressing the attack button and the enemy will eventually die, there must be countermeasures to avoid this kind of thing in order to make the use of the protagonist set of skills a must, otherwise combat in AC will never be fixed.

say all you want about AC1's combat but at least in that game the guards stood a chance (even if a small one)...

AC IMO fact had/has all the elements/move moves a complete combat system needs since you can parry, counter, mullti-counter, doge, disarm, grab and so on BUT as you say the AI ruins it all.

Jexx21
06-10-2014, 03:28 PM
i think AC's combat is easy so that you can quickly get out of boring combat and get back to the fun stuff like climbing buildings.

Shahkulu101
06-10-2014, 03:29 PM
^ It's so Billybob the mentally deficient 3 year old can play

Cjail
06-10-2014, 03:30 PM
i think AC's combat is easy so that you can quickly get out of boring combat and get back to the fun stuff like climbing buildings.

I would rather say that combat it's boring because it's easy.

Jexx21
06-10-2014, 03:30 PM
nah I think it's because combat sucks and Ubi know's it.

Cjail
06-10-2014, 03:35 PM
nah I think it's because combat sucks and Ubi know's it.

Nah, the ideas behind the combat are sound, truly, but they decided to set NPC aggressiveness to "teddy bear".

Jexx21
06-10-2014, 03:36 PM
I don't think increasing the difficulty will increase my enjoyment of the combat at all.

ACfan443
06-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Combat looks exactly the same. The guard just standing stationary and devoid of any reaction to Arno's seemingly endless blows in the single-player demo was a bitterly disappointing sight.

Jexx21
06-10-2014, 04:02 PM
but it won't feel the same, as counter-killing is gone.

Cjail
06-10-2014, 04:07 PM
I don't think increasing the difficulty will increase my enjoyment of the combat at all.

Ok, I respect that but in Arkahm Asylum/City/Origins players can choose to play at hard with no counter indicators more aggressive and "tougher" enemies and bosses and Ubi could do the same for AC and please a wider audience.

GreySkellig
06-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Combat looks exactly the same. The guard just standing stationary and devoid of any reaction to Arno's seemingly endless blows in the single-player demo was a bitterly disappointing sight.

The co-op demo is a much more convincing example of the raised difficulty. Watch Arno get slashed repeatedly by an officer in the ballroom.

On a (semi) related note, looking over the various retailer specials I notice that there is a hunting rifle listed for Walmart. Could they finally be allowing us to carry muskets permanently? Because I've been jonesing for that since AC3 let us be a rooftop sniper in that one Haytham mission. Ever since, I've been figuring out ways of getting muskets into my assassinations. Gotta love the longer range, which I think will be necessary given how tall Unity's buildings are.

Sushiglutton
06-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Think it's always pretty hard to judge AC combat by videos, because you don't know what is player intitiated and what the game does automatically. Have a feeling we won't know until fall. Remember people saying last year that AC4's combat was much harder than AC3's (players died a lot when trying the game at the booths). Turned out to not be true at all. I wonder if there literarily will be just tree moves: Attack, Dodge and Parry? And it's about picking the correct one and timing? If so that would be a bummer.

But like I said I'm in wait and see mode as far as combat goes.

Wolfmeister1010
06-10-2014, 09:23 PM
How about we not judge the combat until we play it ourselves..or at LEAST until they actually go into detail about it for more than 5 seconds..

Ureh
06-10-2014, 09:41 PM
The finishing moves are pretty apt and concise. My two fav is when he simply stabs the heart and the other is he pushes them against the crate with the sword then slits the throat. It looks like there might be kill streaks?