PDA

View Full Version : I find your lack of French accent disturbing!

Pages : [1] 2

killzab
06-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Honestly, I am saddened all characters seem to have a british accent :( as a french person I would've like them to go full ACII and have accents + italian words.

But at least we do get some french words ( merci monsieur) so I guess it's okay . :(

rprkjj
06-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Honestly, I am saddened all characters seem to have a british accent :( as a french person I would've like them to go full ACII and have accents + italian words.

But at least we do get some french words ( merci monsieur) so I guess it's okay . :(

Hopefully they explain it with the story. A French accent, no offense, makes English a little bit harder to understand, so it's possible that there's just not a voice actor available who can have the voice they're aiming for while also having a subtle French accent.

deskp
06-10-2014, 07:33 AM

It stuck out as abit odd. But the thing is though, real french accents sounds like fake french acccents so mayeb they wanna avoid that.

But they got several months to do the recordings etc.

Either way I think Arno has a good voice even if its not very french.

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 07:35 AM
A glitch in the animus.

LoyalACFan
06-10-2014, 07:52 AM
As long as it's consistent (i.e. as long as the rest of the cast doesn't have strong French accents so Arno's voice isn't hugely out of place like Altair's) I won't be bothered.

killzab
06-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Hopefully they explain it with the story. A French accent, no offense, makes English a little bit harder to understand, so it's possible that there's just not a voice actor available who can have the voice they're aiming for while also having a subtle French accent.

And italian didn't make it harder ?

It stuck out as abit odd. But the thing is though, real french accents sounds like fake french acccents so mayeb they wanna avoid that.

But they got several months to do the recordings etc.

Either way I think Arno has a good voice even if its not very french.

I don't understand ? I have an actual french accent and it doesn't sound fake ?

deskp
06-10-2014, 08:18 AM

Real and fake french accents sounds just about the same, and alot of people are most used to hearing fake french accents as part of comedy and stuff.

Since they sound so similar people might end up thinking they are doing intentionaly silly/goofy french accents even if they were infact real.

killzab
06-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Real and fake french accents sounds just about the same, and alot of people are most used to hearing fake french accents as part of comedy and stuff.

Since they sound so similar people might end up thinking they are doing intentionaly silly/goofy french accents even if they were infact real.

Lol those cliches .... :rolleyes: you can have subtle french accents too you know

rprkjj
06-10-2014, 08:57 AM
And italian didn't make it harder ?

People with Italian accents pronounce words pretty much the same, it's just a different inflection. I also think Americans have a better ear for Italian accents.

Legendz54
06-10-2014, 09:28 AM
He sounds more British then french which is odd. I was hoping for a different sounding Assassin but he sounds just like Edward.

GunnerGalactico
06-10-2014, 09:35 AM
I think it would've been more realistic if they had French accents.

Wonder who is Arno's voice actor though?

Cjail
06-10-2014, 09:47 AM
People with Italian accents pronounce words pretty much the same, it's just a different inflection. I also think Americans have a better ear for Italian accents.

There's no such thing as an "Italian accent"
In Italy exist many dialects such as Veneziano, Toscano, Sicliano, Napoletano, (pretty much every town has one) and all the accents you hear in movies comes form there.
Don Vito Corleone doesn't have an Italian accent, it has a Sicilian accent, big difference.

poptartz20
06-10-2014, 09:59 AM
I thought he would have more of a French accent as well... :\ I was really looking for to it.

No french accent = disappointment = ACU bad game because it didn't live up to the hype of confirmed.

So far I do like him though.

rprkjj
06-10-2014, 10:04 AM
There's no such thing as an "Italian accent"
In Italy exist many dialects such as Veneziano, Toscano, Sicliano, Napoletano, (pretty much every town has one) and all the accents you hear in movies comes form there.
Don Vito Corleone doesn't have an Italian accent, it has a Sicilian accent, big difference.

I've probably not heard that many Italian accents. Are the Italian accents in the Ezio games varied or do they sound mostly the same to you? I've never heard a difference, they all just sound Italian to me. Although I've heard Roger Craig Smith refer to Ezio's accent as Spanglo-Italian, which I can actually kind've notice.

Cjail
06-10-2014, 11:42 AM
I've probably not heard that many Italian accents.Are the Italian accents in the Ezio games varied or do they sound mostly the same to you? I've never heard a difference, they all just sound Italian to me. Although I've heard Roger Craig Smith refer to Ezio's accent as Spanglo-Italian, which I can actually kind've notice.

I only played AC 2 and form what I remember the NPC and characters used Italian and not dialects and there was no sign of dialectal accents.

Still, to go back on topic, at least in AC 2 Ubi they tried to make Italians sound like Italians but here everyone sounds English event the crowds.
Really Ubi it's a French company, its executives all have French accents or are French, the creative director of Unity it's French or clearly speak French, the studio behind the game it's based in Canada where French it's the second official language, the game it's set in Paris BUT they could not hire bilingual actors that speak French or at least tell actors to fake french accent?!
Absurd!

Legendz54
06-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Ever think that maybe they are just placeholder voice actors for the demo then they will find french voice actors for npc's and such later on?

Locopells
06-10-2014, 11:49 AM
I actually think the lack of accents make sense, IMO.

This isn't 'Allo 'Allo, we don't need accents to indicate the language, when they're speaking that language - we know they're all speaking French.

Personally, I've no idea about French regional and class accents - and I doubt I'm the only one. Using native accents to indicate this is a good idea, since it tells us more about the character, than the fact they're French, which we already know...

Dag_B
06-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Acutally, it made never sense, that the people had accents. The animus translates everything they say for you, makes it understandable. Why should the animus add cheesy accents?

Cjail
06-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Ever think that maybe they are just placeholder voice actors for the demo then they will find french voice actors for npc's and such later on?

I think they can record new NPC crowds with French because they don't have to worry abut lip sync or performance/motion capture BUT but replacing main/key actors ti's most certainly out of question.

rprkjj
06-10-2014, 12:01 PM
I actually think the lack of accents make sense, IMO.

This isn't 'Allo 'Allo, we don't need accents to indicate the language, when they're speaking that language - we know they're all speaking French.

Personally, I've no idea about French regional and class accents - and I doubt I'm the only one. Using native accents to indicate this is a good idea, since it tells us more about the character, than the fact they're French, which we already know...

I don't know. It still feels a bit out of place. I was actually excited to go back to a non-English speaking country, because some of the charm of the Ezio games were the somewhat exotic accents and the occasional Italian word. Arno's accent is actually pretty subtle anyway, so its not too bad.

rprkjj
06-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Acutally, it made never sense, that the people had accents. The animus translates everything they say for you, makes it understandable. Why should the animus add cheesy accents?

True, but see reason above for why I don't really mind.

Locopells
06-10-2014, 12:06 PM
I don't know. It still feels a bit out of place. I was actually excited to go back to a non-English speaking country, because some of the charm of the Ezio games were the somewhat exotic accents and the occasional Italian word. Arno's accent is actually pretty subtle anyway, so its not too bad.

Oh I agree it feels odd, just trying to put a bit of logic on the situation.

adventurewomen
06-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Yeah the lack of French Accent it stood out, it was almost like a disconnection from the game setting being in France, Arno's accent sounded British at times.

DinoSteve1
06-10-2014, 12:23 PM
To me having accents helps set the atmosphere for the game, when you are supposed to be playing as a French man and he then blurts out something with an English accent it can be jarring.

adventurewomen
06-10-2014, 12:25 PM
To me having accents helps set the atmosphere for the game, when you are supposed to be playing as a French man and he then blurts out something with an English accent it can be jarring.
Exactly! It's AC1 Altair's lack of middle eastern accent all over again.. lazy Ubi again. :(

killzab
06-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Between this and the fact the character is not even really french and doesn't have a french name ... I don't know... I'm almost offended

DinoSteve1
06-10-2014, 12:29 PM
You can be French without a French name, I don't find it that unbelievable giving France's location in Europe.

You know it could be they haven't finished voicing the characters and they just did a quick voice over for E3.

killzab
06-10-2014, 12:31 PM
You can be French without a French name, I don't find it that unbelievable giving France's location in Europe.

Nowadays of course, but back then ? Much less likely.

kosmoscreed
06-10-2014, 12:33 PM
I really don't care, If I want french, I pick French audio and english subtitles. I know that people like it because is more immersive but it makes no sense that the animus translate it from french to english with french accent, at least in my opinion.

DinoSteve1
06-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Nowadays of course, but back then ? Much less likely.
Yes it was very likely, these guys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people) for instance where all over Europe.

Dag_B
06-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Arno isn't fully french, he is half austrian. So maybe the austrian parent chose the name?

Farlander1991
06-10-2014, 12:43 PM
They may have just gone with a name adaptation route rather than transliteration (since the whole game takes place in France, most likely won't be a need for differentiation). Arno and Arnaud are the same name, Arnaud is just the way French write it. It's not like AC has never done this, after all, names Altair, Yusuf, etc. are all essentially adaptations ;)

Markaccus
06-10-2014, 12:44 PM
I was under the impression that Arno was a French name?? :S

A French lad once visited our work, he was called Arnaud, which was apparently pronounced 'Arno' so maybe its ubi simplifying things?

Markaccus
06-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Ah well.... whatt Farlander said :D

LatinaC09
06-10-2014, 12:45 PM
I was wondering about the lack of french accents myself. I knew something was out of place. It's just odd.

MasterAssasin84
06-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Just want to bring to some peoples attention -

Cast your mind back to AC1 Lucy actually explained to Desmond that during the Animus sessions it would be very difficult for simulation to actually interpret the Accents dialogue and language of the time period the Animus is gleaning .. he words expect some inaccuracy when it comes to the Language .

This was actually brought up by Desmond.

Shahkulu101
06-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Arnaud (I will continue to spell it us way - seeing 'Arno' is cringe inducing have you no culture Ubisoft? Uh.) reminds me of sitting in class listening to Shakespeare tape recordings..everyone including the NPC's sound like classically, trained, English actors.

Terrible, terrible terrible.

Now if they were all speaking in Scottish accents I could make do...

Markaccus
06-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Arnaud (I will continue to spell it us way - seeing 'Arno' is cringe inducing have you no culture Ubisoft? Uh.) reminds me of sitting in class listening to Shakespeare tape recordings..everyone including the NPC's sound like classically, trained, English actors.

Terrible, terrible terrible.

Now if they were all speaking in Scottish accents I could make do...

All the brutes in AC3 were steriotypical Jocks, so you have had your turn :D

Seriously though, i cant see why french accents could not have been used. As long as it didnt sound like an episode of "'Allo 'Allo"!

pacmanate
06-10-2014, 01:12 PM
I read somewhere that Arno was half Australian?

Legendz54
06-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Lol half AUSTRIAN.

Markaccus
06-10-2014, 01:17 PM

Croiky! That would be bonzah. Better than some french drongo!

Cjail
06-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Marie Antoinette was from Austria too.
Still I think they chose this name because "Arn" means eagle.

oO_Sovereign_Oo
06-10-2014, 01:22 PM
killzab you the man i noticed this straight away. NOT IMPRESSED UBI i got enuff idiots asking me questions like which museum has the round table in which king richard and the knights templar used to sit round because they wanna come here and see it?????? :confused: accents are important because it shows their origins avaline accent was clear can't wait to see what question i asked next

Legendz54
06-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Croiky! That would be bonzah. Better than some french drongo!

yea na yea na we could get Arno to fry some snags on the barbi. :)))))

Megas_Doux
06-10-2014, 01:30 PM

Austrian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Australia was "colonized" 1788, a year before the Co-op demo.

By the way, the accent thing does not bother me! I want full immersion, I will put the game in french and that is it!

PD I am half italian, I can assure you "Ezio´s" italian was painful to listen :P

adventurewomen
06-10-2014, 01:32 PM
@Issac: Your signature is too big, I resized it here, please use this one for the forums:

http://i.imgur.com/37ZEkMV.jpg

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/659582

oO_Sovereign_Oo
06-10-2014, 01:48 PM

i understand people with french accents im english and a man with an english accent talking about paris being our city was werd i mean AC: LIBERATION did you understand Aveline de Grandpré or was it a struggle?

killzab
06-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Austrian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Australia was "colonized" 1788, a year before the Co-op demo.

By the way, the accent thing does not bother me! I want full immersion, I will put the game in french and that is it!

PD I am half italian, I can assure you "Ezio´s" italian was painful to listen :P

Me too, if you guys want the real thing, play it in French !!!

I hope the Austrian side is useful to the story and not there just because ....

And I wonder if they spelled Arno this way to remind of EziO.

ze_topazio
06-10-2014, 01:59 PM
They could at least have used the neutral American accent like in AC1, using England's accent in a game about France seems like a joke considering the historical rivalry between France and England/UK.

Locopells
06-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Doesn't work. We think Americans are the one's with the accent...

Shahkulu101
06-10-2014, 02:03 PM
I'd play it in French but usually I have no other languages except English and one other. Sometimes it's Russian or Polish, with AC2 and BH it was Italian. Hopefully I get French this time haha...

Dag_B
06-10-2014, 02:07 PM

Cast your mind back to AC1 Lucy actually explained to Desmond that during the Animus sessions it would be very difficult for simulation to actually interpret the Accents dialogue and language of the time period the Animus is gleaning .. he words expect some inaccuracy when it comes to the Language .

In AC2, I think. I remember that they talked about the missing translations (the few italian words they did not translate). On the other hand - I played the german version, we do not have accents so maybe this dialog was slightly changed as there was no need to explain the accents?

I only played AC 2 and form what I remember the NPC and characters used Italian and not dialects and there was no sign of dialectal accents.
Huh? In the english version? Sounds like you chanced the voices to the italian version?
As far as I remember Assassin's Creed II was fully translated besides a few words.

dxsxhxcx
06-10-2014, 02:26 PM
I wish I could play the historical part in french and the modern part in english, too bad you only have the option to change both at the same time. :(

misterB2001
06-10-2014, 02:27 PM
For a game that prides itself on its realism and attention to detail, the lack of even a French accent is jarring.

Something similar to how it was done in AC2 would be perfect. As it stands now, it's a major immersion breaker.

dxsxhxcx
06-10-2014, 02:31 PM
For a game that prides itself on its realism and attention to detail, the lack of even a French accent is jarring.

Something similar to how it was done in AC2 would be perfect. As it stands now, it's a major immersion breaker.

isn't Ubisoft a french company? This only makes things worse.. hehehe.. :p

DumbGamerTag94
06-10-2014, 02:49 PM

I can explain this.....she wasn't talking about the accents....he asked about how the dialogue sounded "out of place somehow"....as an English speaker you would expect a lot of Shakesperian Ye's and Thy's Thou's and such ex(Willst thou showest me to thine castle). That's what Desmond is expecting from that era. It's a misconception many of us English speakers get from movies and Shakespeare's plays set in the Medieval times. Only problem is that that particular version of English wasn't Medieval it's from the 15th and 16th centuries (think King James Bible). But the English that would be spoken in 1191 is Middle English which would be impossible for a modern English speaker to understand.

When Desmond asks that question Lucy asks if Desmond has read Chaucer. Jeffery Chaucer was a famous writer who wrote in Middle English. He writhe the Canterbury Tales which everyone has probably heard of or read parts in school....only those copies are modern or 15-16th century translations. If you look up the original versions it's impossible to read! It's a combination of English/German/French/Latin/and Gallic. Rife with extinct words that neither speaker would identify.

So when that was brought up that is what she was referring to. If everything from that Particular time (1191). Were translated perfectly to the accurate English equivalent for their words it would be in Middle English and nobody would get it. Even the English in that game would be incomprehensible without the translator. That's why when she asks about Chaucer and Demond goes What?(or who? I don't remember). She says never-mind.

That same problem wouldn't occur with 1700s and 1800s English because it is not much different from today's English. They just had stronger vocabularies and fewer contractions. It would be perfectly understood by people today if George Washington gave a speech. Just read the Constitution or Declaration of Independence and you'll see it's fairly easy to understand even today as long as you know what certain big words mean(of which there are few). So that issue is not one for the 18th century and beyond.

For proof just read original Middle English Chaucer and then read the Declaration of Independence. It's like it's not even the same language.

ze_topazio
06-10-2014, 02:55 PM
isn't Ubisoft a french company? This only makes things worse.. hehehe.. :p

And they had a lot of French people on stage speaking English with French accents.

Kaschra
06-10-2014, 03:10 PM
The lack of French accent irks me too. I mean, they pulled it off just fine in Liberation imo, so I don't understand why they don't do it in Unity :/
It just sounds so... out of place now.

Arnaud (I will continue to spell it us way - seeing 'Arno' is cringe inducing have you no culture Ubisoft? Uh.)

"Arno" is the German version of the name - seeing that he is half Austrian, it actually makes sense.

m4r-k7
06-10-2014, 03:12 PM
To be fair guys we have only heard him speak for about 5 seconds. We can't clearly make out his full accent, yes it sounds British but in conversation we may find that it is infact French. The website says he is French / Austrian so no British there.... I reckon it will be like AC 2.

Shahkulu101
06-10-2014, 03:17 PM
The lack of Frencch accent irks me too. I mean, they pulled it off just fine in Liberation imo, so I don't understand why they don't do it in Unity :/
It just sounds so... out of place now.

"Arno" is the German version of the name - seeing that he is half Austrian, it actually makes sense.

Ah.

Consider me stifled.

EDIT: Wait I thought Arno meant eagle? Isn't that "bald" in German?

LatinaC09
06-10-2014, 03:30 PM
They could at least have used the neutral American accent like in AC1, using England's accent in a game about France seems like a joke considering the historical rivalry between France and England/UK.

Yikes! Please no. I'm American and I think our accents don't really fit well in these games (besides AC3 obviously). Altair from AC1 sounded terrible! Very out of place. I get what you're saying though, the British accent is out of place here as well. And I'm pretty sure I heard more than one character in that trailer with a an English accent...

Kaschra
06-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Ah.

Consider me stifled.

EDIT: Wait I thought Arno meant eagle? Isn't that "bald" in German?
Yeah, it means "eagle". It's an old Germanic name
"Eagle" in German is "Adler" ^^

Cjail
06-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Huh? In the english version? Sounds like you chanced the voices to the italian version?
As far as I remember Assassin's Creed II was fully translated besides a few words.

In some cased they spoke few lines only in Italian.
I remember that Ezio used to say "Salute Claudia" to his sister when and not "Hello Claudia" and also I remember the fishermen saying "Pesce fresco" not "Fresh fish".

Megas_Doux
06-10-2014, 03:55 PM
In some cased they spoke few lines only in Italian.
I remember that Ezio used to say "Salute Claudia" to his sister when and not "Hello Claudia" and also I remember the fishermen saying "Pesce fresco" not "Fresh fish".

I understand, however here is a secret:

Ezio´s italian was AWFUL!

Cjail
06-10-2014, 04:08 PM
I understand, however here is a secret:

Ezio´s italian was AWFUL!

No doubt about that.

dbzk1999
06-10-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm gonna agree with what that other guy said and say isn't it likely that these are just placeholders

BATISTABUS
06-10-2014, 09:24 PM
**** that, they should've just gone full French with subtitles.

Either way, I am unhappy with this decision.

Ureh
06-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Give me a reason to turn on those subtitles! Some French expletives will do nicely.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:01 AM

Lol, American isn't the "neutral" accent.

DinoSteve1
06-11-2014, 03:05 AM
Lol, American isn't the "neutral" accent.
I think they probably mean tv American, tv American all sounds the same.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:10 AM

Not really, but the point still stands; any American accent is going to sound foreign to anyone outside the States. It isn't just like the "default" for everyone.

But that said, considering Arno was adopted, perhaps he was raised by Brits? Explaining the accent?

Ureh
06-11-2014, 03:13 AM
Maybe Abstergo altered his accent.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:20 AM
Maybe Abstergo altered his accent.

I didn't think we were playing this through Abstergo this time though?

DinoSteve1
06-11-2014, 03:24 AM
Not really, but the point still stands; any American accent is going to sound foreign to anyone outside the States. It isn't just like the "default" for everyone.

But that said, considering Arno was adopted, perhaps he was raised by Brits? Explaining the accent?

Yeah but for most people outside of America who have never been to American, tv American is the only American accent they have encountered.

Wait what where we talking about again?

rprkjj
06-11-2014, 03:31 AM
i understand people with french accents im english and a man with an english accent talking about paris being our city was werd i mean AC: LIBERATION did you understand Aveline de Grandpré or was it a struggle?

From what she said in the PS4 AC4 dlc I could understand her fine. I also think to a lot of Americans the French accent just sounds comical, subtle or stereotypical.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 03:39 AM
Yeah but for most people outside of America who have never been to American, tv American is the only American accent they have encountered.

Wait what where we talking about again?

I'm saying since he was adopted, he may have been raised by Brits so he doesn't have a French accent.

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 03:40 AM
Arno could just be British...

rprkjj
06-11-2014, 03:41 AM
Arno could just be British...

French and Austrian heritage, takes place in Paris, but raised in Britain? Ugh.

Megas_Doux
06-11-2014, 03:43 AM

No, funny thing is that many americans claim that an english, scottish and irish sound the same.
You see, If you hear an american from the deep South, like Alabama and then one from California, they sound totally different, just like somebody from Newcastle to one in Dublin.

And I am Italian/spanish, by the way.

Ureh
06-11-2014, 03:44 AM
I didn't think we were playing this through Abstergo this time though?

Might be a copy or prototype of their next game passed onto us by our insider. Then halfway through the game his accent reverts to French cause of Rebecca. XD

rprkjj
06-11-2014, 03:50 AM
No, funny thing is that many americans claim that an english, scottish and irish sound the same.
You see, If you hear and american from the deep South, like Alabama an then one from California, they sound totally different, just like somebody from Newcastle to one in Dublin.

The accent most associated with Southern people can actually be found in most rural regions of America. Illinois, Ohio, Montana, Wyoming, and Iowa all have their own communities where the Southern accent is dominate. South-western as well, although some people still consider that the South.

DinoSteve1
06-11-2014, 04:15 AM
You see, If you hear an american from the deep South, like Alabama and then one from California, they sound totally different, just like somebody from Newcastle to one in Dublin.

I have been to America I understand that there is different accents, there is even different accents whitin one city, but for most people outside of America all they ever heard is tv American which is a generic sounding American accent, sure sometimes a character is brought in with a different accent but it is usually an extreme difference.

rprkjj
06-11-2014, 04:37 AM
I have been to America I understand that there is different accents, there is even different accents whitin one city, but for most people outside of America all they ever heard is tv American which is a generic sounding American accent, sure sometimes a character is brought in with a different accent but it is usually an extreme difference.

You call it TV American but I'm pretty sure that's how at least half of America talks. People didn't make up an accent to use on TV.

DinoSteve1
06-11-2014, 04:42 AM
No but actors are trained to make there accents more generic to appeal to a wider audience.

DumbGamerTag94
06-11-2014, 04:43 AM
Ok it's time I be blunt here.

Every country has regional accents be it by city or region. For example someone from Bristol probably sounds very different to someone from London. But to someone not from England it all just sounds English to them. Just as TV American sounds just as American to a foreigner as southern American accents. It's all a matter of a finely tuned native ear to hear a difference. A foreigner would just say that guy is American. It's the same way for English speakers. If we hear an accent from Italy, we think it's Italian(even if it isn't the proper one for that particular region). It just sounds ITALIAN. We don't care if it is Sicilian or Milono or Florentine. It all sounds the same to us. It's still Italian be it accurate or not it still feels like someone from Italy is talking. We don't have the finely tuned ears of a native to care about regional accents. As long as the voices in AC2 sounded vaguely Italian that's all that mattered to us. It just feels more immersive that way. Idk how to explain this to a non native English speaker. But most native English speakers would agree. Accents help with immersion.

And idk how to break this to people. But it seems that the majority of people that just don't understand are non native English speakers.

Well as an American I am blessed to live in a country where immigrants aren't hard to come by even in my own family. I have a Sicilian and a German in my own for example and have met and spoke with countless Iranians, Dutch, French, Germans, Poles, etc. And guess what 99.99999% claim they have no accent and speak fluent English. But unfortunatlely guess what? You do! You just can't hear the difference. It takes a native speaker to tell. Many friends I have had(Especially the Dutch Max and Iranian Vafa swore that they didn't hear them speak with an accent). But yet they gave away their country of origin to us Americans with an accent thicker than pea soup. So unless you are currently living in the US or UK for a long while. I wouldn't be so quick to assume you have no accent or you do a "perfect American accent". Because I can almost guarentee you do have one or haven't been around an Englishman or American long enough for them to point out your accent.

I'm not saying everyone has a THICK accent. But guess what you probably do have one even if it is slight. It takes a finely tuned native ear to hear the difference. Many foreigners do not even hear the difference or comprehend that they are wrong because they just don't get it. They haven't heard it since birth. To claim that you don't have an accent(or anyone else for that matter). Is about as absurd as me saying I speak flawless German with no accent. Sure I speak decent german. But I won't lie for one moment and act like I don't have a thick American accent. I just can't hear the difference(even though my Bavarian College German teacher has constantly tried to correct me). I just can't comprehend the difference. But trust me it's there. For me speaking German thinking I have no accent. And for others speaking American English thinking they have none. It is no different.

It's just a thing that will bother native English speakers. I wouldn't expect you non native speakers to get it becase you just can't understand the subtleties. I can't tell a Parisian from a Vichy any more than a Spaniard can tell a Pennsylvanian from a Hoosier. (And if you don't know what that is then it proves my point even more)

Plain and simple it is just more immersive for a native English speaker to hear a French accent if it is supposed to be set in France. Even if it isn't good French. As long as it SOUNDS FRENCH to most of us it's ok. We can't tell good from bad French. But we can tell French form British. That's just absurd. It'd be just the same as if in AC3 they had slipped in a bunch of southern accents and Boston/New York/New enland accents in AC 3. Most of you non native English speakers probably wouldn't have cared or even noticed. But yet they just went with sandard American accents for AC3 for everyone. Which bothers me as an American because that technically doesn't properly represent the region to non natives. But to an American it's not technically correct becaue they don't have the Boston or New York accent. But to a foreigner..."who cares it sounds American to me". That's my point

It just helps if the characters sound French even if it's not done particularly well. It still sounds French to a non native.

DinoSteve1
06-11-2014, 04:47 AM
lol EVERYONE in America is an immigrant bar Native Americans.

DumbGamerTag94
06-11-2014, 04:52 AM

Haha well I suppose that technically is true. But either way we have had very distinct regional accents here for a very long time. Even back in the 1700s. Yet that particular innacuracy bothered nobody in AC3 because non native speakers can't tell the difference lol

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 04:53 AM

Native Americans are immigrants as well. They came over the land bridge between Russia and Alaska and displaced the few humans that lived here before them. The first native Americans do not have descendants anymore. Native Americans as we know them just inhabited the land by getting rid of the few inhabitants already here who crossed the land bridge before them.

OT: Again, he could just be English. He's more closely related to Edward and Haytham than any other of the Assassin's we've met. Plus, he could be like the antagonist from Splinter Cell Blacklist and be of one ethnicity, but be educated in language and such in another country or by people from another country so he sounds like them.

rprkjj
06-11-2014, 04:59 AM

When European settlers came, they didn't arrive in the U.S. They arrived in North America. There were no countries in what is now the U.S., only tribes. The U.S was founded with a white majority. Also you have to immigrate after being born to be an immigrant.

DumbGamerTag94
06-11-2014, 05:07 AM
You call it TV American but I'm pretty sure that's how at least half of America talks. People didn't make up an accent to use on TV.

As to this. TV English isn't a made up thing. The people that announce national news actually get vocal coaching to learn how to neutralize their accent. The closest thing to neutral in the US is actually Central PA, Ohio, upstate New York, and Indiana. Even those places need coaches to learn to eliminate their accents for TV. You can't say somebody from St. Louis sounds like someone from Philadelphia. It just isn't so. And I'm an American myself(Centeal Pennsylvanian to be exact) so I'm not just saying this. TV American accents is an actual thing

rprkjj
06-11-2014, 05:09 AM
As to this. TV English isn't a made up thing. The people that announce national news actually get vocal coaching to learn how to neutralize their accent. The closest thing to neutral in the US is actually Central PA, Ohio, upstate New York, and Indiana. Even those places need coaches to learn to eliminate their accents for TV. You can't say somebody from St. Louis sounds like someone from Philadelphia. It just isn't so. And I'm an American myself(Centeal Pennsylvanian to be exact) so I'm not just saying this. TV American accents is an actual thing

I didn't think people from Pensylvania had an accent. Describe how a St. Louisian sounds to you, I'm actually interested.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 05:20 AM
I didn't think people from Pensylvania had an accent. Describe how a St. Louisian sounds to you, I'm actually interested.

Everyone has an accent, you just don't notice it if it's the same as yours (or similar). There is no "default" accent of the English language.

DumbGamerTag94
06-11-2014, 05:23 AM

St. Louis actually has a very slight southern accent(but boarderline neutral TV accent). And a bit of an urban slang to it.

Just as in my home state of Pennsylvania there are different accents. Like Philadelphia has isms like water is usually pronounced (worter) there. Or in Pittsburgh they use isms like "yuns". Which the southerners would call "ya'll". And in my native central PA there is a lot of German isms like "outen the lights" for example. That aren't typical to other areas.

I can easily tell a Philadelphian from a Pittsburgher from a Central PA resident. And I can definately tell a Pennsylvanian from a Midwesterner, New Englander, or Southerner easily

Oddly though the more urban people I meet don't seem to recognize their own accent. For example my cousin from Philly and my college room mate from Pittsburgh didn't think they had accents. And the same witha buddy of mine from Little Rock doesn't think he sounds southern. But people like me from more rural isolated areas pick up on the accents better. And each of them can see that the other has one. They just refuse to recognize their own for some reason I don't quite understand.

I will be the first to admitt that my central PA accent sounds like a hybrid of Maryland Southern mixed with New York style accent on certain words. And with a vocabulary and list of sayings that very much reflect my regions German heritage.

rprkjj
06-11-2014, 05:33 AM
St. Louis actually has a very slight southern accent(but boarderline neutral TV accent). And a bit of an urban slang to it.

Just as in my home state of Pennsylvania there are different accents. Like Philadelphia has isms like water is usually pronounced (worter) there. Or in Pittsburgh they use isms like "yuns". Which the southerners would call "ya'll". And in my native central PA there is a lot of German isms like "outen the lights" for example. That aren't typical to other areas.

I can easily tell a Philadelphian from a Pittsburgher from a Central PA resident. And I can definately tell a Pennsylvanian from a Midwesterner, New Englander, or Southerner easily

Oddly though the more urban people I meet don't seem to recognize their own accent. For example my cousin from Philly and my college room mate from Pittsburgh didn't think they had accents. And the same witha buddy of mine from Little Rock doesn't think he sounds southern. But people like me from more rural isolated areas pick up on the accents better. And each of them can see that the other has one. They just refuse to recognize their own for some reason I don't quite understand.

I will be the first to admitt that my central PA accent sounds like a hybrid of Maryland Southern mixed with New York style accent on certain words. And with a vocabulary and list of sayings that very much reflect my regions German heritage.

That description fits my accent perfectly, damn. Usually I just generalize accents as New England, Jersey, Southern, South-western or western, west coast, and midwestern which I usually just associate with neutral.

Megas_Doux
06-11-2014, 05:35 AM
I understand Bmark!

However in terms of this whole english/french thing I have already decided. During free roam, and since I ALWAYS go for the full immersion, I will play the game in French, just as I played AC II and ACB in italian....

In regards of EEUU, I used to think, and based from my personal experience, that people from California were the most "flat" in terms of accent.

rprkjj
06-11-2014, 05:42 AM
I understand Bmark!

However in terms of this whole english/french thing I have already decided. During free roam, and since I ALWAYS go for the full immersion, I will play the game in French, just as I played AC II and ACB in italian....

In regards of EEUU, I used to think, and based from my personal experience, that people from California were the most "flat" in terms of accent.

I think in America a lot of people have accents influenced by their hobbies, like a surfer accent. I also think that the neutral accent is pretty widespread across America, even if there are subtle differences.

DumbGamerTag94
06-11-2014, 05:44 AM
That description fits my accent perfectly, damn. Usually I just generalize accents as New England, Jersey, Southern, South-western or western, west coast, and midwestern which I usually just associate with neutral.

Yeah that's basically my point in my earlier rant lol. Even in America we can tell a New Englander from a Southener. But many can't tell a Bostonian from a New Yorker. Or a Virginian from a Louisianin. (I kind of can but I have developed a pitty good ear over the years partly due to a widely spread family, college, and a wide network of friends). But for the most part as long as it sounds southern it doesn't matter to anyone or vise versa. So as long as it sounds French it will be ok for most people. Except for French people who would feel it isn't quite 100% accurate.

And I hope I cleared up how we all have accents to you. I'm glad you agreed with my analisys of a St. Lousisian accent. I've grown to consider myself a bit of an amiture accent expert over the years. I'm glad to help. I just hope everyone can understand the point I'm trying to make. An accent helps the immersion even if it isn't a good one. To non native it all sounds the same

DumbGamerTag94
06-11-2014, 05:50 AM
I see what u mean. Only I find it very annoying to play in French with subtitles. It's just distracting and I don't like reading while i play. I would much prefer French accented English to fill my immersion needs. I want to understand everything without reading. But still feel like a French person is speaking(honestly I was hoping for a voice like my French soccer coach had).

It doesn't have to be good French becaue I would barely recognize the difference. Yet it would just feel right. Like AC2s Italian(even if it isn't perfect for many parts of Italy. It's still Italian to me. Like my Southener vs New Yorkers still being Americans example for non English speakers)

And as for Californians. They too have a very particular accent. Especially in the Bay Area or southern California. There's the surfer varieties or the urban slang of LA with its Spanish isms. As I said before TV English mostly comes from the Midwest and rural north east/central east coast. And even then to speak with a perfect neutral accent like a news anchor it takes vocal coaching to neutralize the regional accent and get rid of local "isms"

Evenesque
06-11-2014, 06:56 AM
I understand Bmark!

I don't understand how reading subtitles for 20 hours is more immersive but whatever.

Megas_Doux
06-11-2014, 12:30 PM
I don't understand how reading subtitles for 20 hours is more immersive but whatever.

Italian and spanish are my mother languages, I also took french courses in primary school and even though my fluency at it is LONG gone, it is enough to free roam without feeling completely lost, the main campaign is a whole different story though, I cannot risk missing any detail.

DumbGamerTag94
06-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Italian and spanish are my mother languages, I also took french courses in primary school and even though my fluency at it is LONG gone, it is enough to free roam without feeling completely lost, the main campaign is a whole different story though, I cannot risk missing any detail.
Personally I wouldn't mind if all of the ambiant dialogue were in French. I mean I don't speak it but for a few words. And honestly listening to it may help teach me some French.

But like you said when it comes to the main campaign I don't want to miss anything. So I would prefer English with a French accent(not only for the sake of immersion but for seamless transitions into French). Like if Arno is in the middle of talking and swears in French or says a phrase in French it wouldn't sound weird if he always had the accent. But if he sounds British normally and then recites something in fluent French it would sound like a completedly different person.

I just like to keep as much of the native language as possible in game. And keep the sound and feel of that culture. Even if it isn't particularly "good" accents or pronounciation. As long as it is correct wording and it sounds French it's ok to me. Just like AC 2s Italian. To spoil that with British accents is a boarderline sin IMO.

Shahkulu101
06-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Just me that always plays with subtitles regardless?

I've the ears of an old man.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 02:15 PM

I do that unless I'm wearing headphones and can hear everything perfectly. What with PS4 having a headphone jack right in the bottom of the controller, I'll likely be using no subtitles from this point forward.

Shahkulu101
06-11-2014, 02:19 PM
I do that unless I'm wearing headphones and can hear everything perfectly. What with PS4 having a headphone jack right in the bottom of the controller, I'll likely be using no subtitles from this point forward.

Yeah, I sometimes use headphones to cancel out background noise but I didn't have them for my PS4 till recently.

They broke after like 4 days.

LoyalACFan
06-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I sometimes use headphones to cancel out background noise but I didn't have them for my PS4 till recently.

They broke after like 4 days.

Lol yeah, my headphones are one thing I definitely splurged on. I've got some damn fine ones. Sturdy, great sound quality, and apparently built to last as I've had them for like three and a half years which is an impressive lifespan for any electronic device I own.

DinoSteve1
06-11-2014, 04:11 PM

Nope I play them in every game, just in case I miss hear something.

Ureh
06-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Yeah it's really tempting to turn on the subtitles so we don't miss anything. But I always leave them off on the first playthrough.

Heck, I'm a slow reader so I still miss details when subtitles are on (especially when two or more characters are talking at the same time and newer dialogue immediately overrides the older bits).

rob.davies2014
06-12-2014, 01:12 PM
It's so weird watching the demos and hearing people talking with British accents. It really breaks the immersion, I don't like it :/

How likely is it that what we're hearing is just a placeholder and that the final product will have people speaking in French accents?

I really hope that will be the case but it seems unlikely.

pacmanate
06-12-2014, 01:19 PM

I always have subtitles. Sometimes you really cant hear people talking in the distance and it means you will be able to hear the whole sentence.

Shahkulu101
06-12-2014, 01:21 PM
I always have subtitles. Sometimes you really cant hear people talking in the distance and it means you will be able to hear the whole sentence.

That's another reason, but it's mainly because everyone in my house is loud. :nonchalance:

pacmanate
06-12-2014, 01:27 PM
That's another reason, but it's mainly because everyone in my house is loud. :nonchalance:

I'm lucky, when I play everyone leaves the room :p

and at night sometimes i take the PS4 to my room and play it my room whilst everyone is downstairs.

Kakuzu745
06-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Arno should sound more French (assuming he is ofc)...actually you know what...HE HAS TO. In AC2 the accent really helped the whole experience...same with British accents and "native" accents in AC3.

In my opinion, it is a must for Arno to sound "more french".

Hans684
06-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Is Arno's biological father French? If not, then Arno isn't French by blood. Just some adopted guy living in France.

sem1rek
06-12-2014, 05:07 PM
He was born and raised in Versailles, so it's possible that French has an impact on his accent regardless of his origin, but it's just my opinion. But I can live with both British and French accent until I'm able to run this game on my PC :D

E: I've also read or heard somewhere that he is a "native Frenchman", but I read so many articles these days so I can't source it or even remember, where exactly it was published.

TheHumanTowel
06-21-2014, 03:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Og9q-i98E4

I'm confused as to why everyone has a british accent in AC Unity which is set in France. In all the previous AC games the characters, though they spoke english, had an accent appropriate to where they were from (minus Altair). I don't know why they've decided to change it now.

SixKeys
06-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Because having accents to denote speaking a non-English language was a stupid idea in the first place.

TheDanteEX
06-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Because it's really hard to find French actors in Montreal, duh.

TheHumanTowel
06-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Because having accents to denote speaking a non-English language was a stupid idea in the first place.
Why? I thought it helped give the settings a sense of place. I certainly don't think it would have been better if Al Mualim and all had spoken with a southern united states accent.

Aphex_Tim
06-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Because it's very hard to get right without having it sound silly. Especially with a French accent. Ezio's stupid accent really got on my nerves after a while; especially in Revelations, where he just sounds downright cringe worthy.

SixKeys
06-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Why? I thought it helped give the settings a sense of place. I certainly don't think it would have been better if Al Mualim and all had spoken with a southern united states accent.

It would have been more natural for the voice actors to use their own accents and it would have signified they don't all sound oddly foreign to each other when speaking the same language. Having a character speak English with a foreign accent only makes sense when that character is speaking English to someone whose native language is English. Compare Indiana Jones vs. pretty much any other character in those movies. Why do the Nazis have accents? Because they're speaking broken English. Now compare something like the cast of 300. Why do none of them have Persian or Greek accents or whatever? Because they're all speaking the same language and there's no sense of a language barrier.

TheHumanTowel
06-21-2014, 04:43 PM
It would have been more natural for the voice actors to use their own accents and it would have signified they don't all sound oddly foreign to each other when speaking the same language. Having a character speak English with a foreign accent only makes sense when that character is speaking English to someone whose native language is English. Compare Indiana Jones vs. pretty much any other character in those movies. Why do the Nazis have accents? Because they're speaking broken English. Now compare something like the cast of 300. Why do none of them have Persian or Greek accents or whatever? Because they're all speaking the same language and there's no sense of a language barrier.
I don't think there was any sense of a language barrier when characters spoke in AC1 or AC2 or whatever. Being able to competently speak with accents is part of being a good actor. I don't think you can compare movies like 300 to this when AC has already set it's precedent that characters speak with an accent. Also AC often has characters slip into their native language occasionally which now sounds particularly odd when everyone's speaking the Queen's english. It's jarring to me to see people in Paris speaking like they're in Old London town.

SixKeys
06-21-2014, 04:50 PM
I don't think you can compare movies like 300 to this when AC has already set it's precedent that characters speak with an accent. Also AC often has characters slip into their native language occasionally which now sounds particularly odd when everyone's speaking the Queen's english. It's jarring to me to see people in Paris speaking like they're in Old London town.

Which is why I say the accents were a stupid decision in the first place. Altaïr's American accent wouldn't have been nearly as jarring if they had just made all characters speak the same way. Ezio's games had a cliché Hollywood approach where characters could speak perfect English apart from a funny accent and for some reason inserting perfectly easy-to-translate words like "bene" or "signor" into every sentence. Now that they're taking a more realistic approach, suddenly everyone's complaining because previous games did it differently (worse).

rob.davies2014
06-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Now that they're taking a more realistic approach, suddenly everyone's complaining because previous games did it differently (worse).

It's not just that it's inconsistent with other games. I really liked hearing the accents of the country and it added to the immersion of the game. And also I'd learn the occasional word which was spoken in the native language.

TheHumanTowel
06-21-2014, 04:59 PM
Which is why I say the accents were a stupid decision in the first place. Altaïr's American accent wouldn't have been nearly as jarring if they had just made all characters speak the same way. Ezio's games had a cliché Hollywood approach where characters could speak perfect English apart from a funny accent and for some reason inserting perfectly easy-to-translate words like "bene" or "signor" into every sentence. Now that they're taking a more realistic approach, suddenly everyone's complaining because previous games did it differently (worse).
See I don't know how French people speaking with an english accent is more "realistic" than them speaking english with a French accent. Obviously the game has to mostly be in English so english speaking people can understand but they are in France, it makes much more sense to me to have them speak in a French accent. And I think it's more of a Hollywood cliche to have non-english speaking people speak in perfect American or English accents. The accents and little phrases complement the setting to me.

SixKeys
06-21-2014, 05:01 PM
It's not just that it's inconsistent with other games. I really liked hearing the accents of the country and it added to the immersion of the game. And also I'd learn the occasional word which was spoken in the native language.

Keep in mind it's only immersive if you don't actually speak the language. Real Italian people think Ezio's Italian sounds cringeworthy and while Altaïr's "authentic" accent in Revelations gets praise from the English-speaking community, real Middle-Easterns recognize he doesn't actually sound Middle-Eastern at all. English is not my native language, so it really doesn't matter to me if the characters speak with a British or Texan accent. It's a foreign accent to me either way.

SixKeys
06-21-2014, 05:02 PM
See I don't know how French people speaking with an english accent is more "realistic" than them speaking english with a French accent. Obviously the game has to mostly be in English so english speaking people can understand but they are in France, it makes much more sense to me to have them speak in a French accent. And I think it's more of a Hollywood cliche to have non-english speaking people speak in perfect American or English accents. The accents and little phrases complement the setting to me.

Easiest way to solve this: play the game in French with subtitles. Full immersion.

HercRembrandt
06-21-2014, 05:58 PM
French, English... what's the difference? They're both dialects of Foreign.

JustPlainQuirky
06-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Glitch in the animus

Shahkulu101
06-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Glitch in the animus

Actually the animus is doing it's job properly here by translating French into English perfectly. Apart from the odd bit of French.

deskp
06-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Easiest way to solve this: play the game in French with subtitles. Full immersion.

I second this. stop complainign people. Havent even given the game a chanse.

DumbGamerTag94
06-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Actually the animus is doing it's job properly here by translating French into English perfectly. Apart from the odd bit of French.

The reason the creative director gave in an interview I saw was that since in ACU you are a Frenchman(Arno) the animus translates as if you hear no accent. And they said they would have used the more neutral American Accent, but said that British due to movies and such is better associated with the old timey/old world feel. So that was more of an artistic decision(a dumb one really). I could tolerate them all sounding American, but British? That's still a foreign accent to me and the WRONG foreign given the setting is Paris. Especially given Britain's historic rivalry with France. Especially around the time of the revolution when they were at each-others throats.

Shahkulu101
06-21-2014, 07:01 PM
If they all spoke American I would not play it like that. French with subtitles would be my only option.

I get the decision to make it English because it gives off a classical theatre tone, like Shakespeare performances being set all over Europe but still retaining an English accent. I understand the decision, but I don't like it. They are French, the dialogue should reflect that.

DumbGamerTag94
06-21-2014, 07:08 PM
If they all spoke American I would not play it like that. French with subtitles would be my only option.

I get the decision to make it English because it gives off a classical theatre tone, like Shakespeare performances being set all over Europe but still retaining an English accent. I understand the decision, but I don't like it. They are French, the dialogue should reflect that.

Don't get me wrong I completely agree with you. I'm just regurgitating their reasoning

HercRembrandt
06-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Funnily enough, according to some linguists many American accents are actually closer to older English accents than how English people speak today. If we were to hear Shakespeare talk, he might sound distinctly "American" to us.

DumbGamerTag94
06-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Funnily enough, according to some linguists many American accents are actually closer to older English accents than how English people speak today. If we were to hear Shakespeare talk, he might sound distinctly "American" to us.

Perhaps the New England/boston/New York area. But I'm American and I know full well the south was influenced heavily by Scott's Irish. And the middle states/Midwest was heavily influenced by Germans and Scandinavians. That's why you have that distinct "doncha know" accent in places like Wisconsin and tons of very German phrases/accent in Pennsylvania and Ohio like "outen the lights" and other isms.

I'd have to say by any process of elimination. Old English must have sounded like Peter Griffin then lol

Megas_Doux
06-21-2014, 07:45 PM

Because it's very hard to get right without having it sound silly. Especially with a French accent. Ezio's stupid accent really got on my nerves after a while; especially in Revelations, where he just sounds downright cringe worthy.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In terms of the immersion, the default settings for the campaign, and then the game set in french in order to free roam!

Jexx21
06-21-2014, 08:17 PM
can I play AC1 in Arabic?

SixKeys
06-21-2014, 08:26 PM
As I recall, Arabic people have been asking for that for years. I certainly wouldn't mind.

DumbGamerTag94
06-21-2014, 08:35 PM
My only problem with playing in a foreign language. Is that say King Richard speaks. He won't speak English but Arabic. Or the Baron in ACB would be speaking Italian. That kind of thing would ruin my immersion. The only one that really works for is AC2.

If I'm playing in a different language I want Frenchmen to speak French. Austrians to speak German etc.

Jexx21
06-21-2014, 08:37 PM
it's just, if I go the route of playing AC2 and ACB in italian I feel I should also play AC1 in Arabic.

Also what would you play ACR in? Italian, Arabic, .... Turkish? Is Turkish even a language?

GunnerGalactico
06-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Is Turkish even a language?

Yes it is.

Jexx21
06-21-2014, 08:58 PM
so would you play ACR in Turkish?

Then switch to italian for Ezio/Sophia scenes? :P

SixKeys
06-21-2014, 09:44 PM
ACR is weird in that respect. When and where did Ezio take the time to learn Turkish? Or did everyone in Constantinople switch to Italian out of courtesy? At least in AC1 German, Turkish and French soldiers' speech isn't translated because Altaïr doesn't understand those languages.

Jexx21
06-21-2014, 09:48 PM
In the years between ACB and ACR I'd imagine.

Man I was so hyped for ACR. Then I got Arkham City instead. ACR was still great though.

I-Like-Pie45
06-21-2014, 09:49 PM
a wizard did it

SixKeys
06-21-2014, 09:50 PM
In the years between ACB and ACR I'd imagine.

Man I was so hyped for ACR. Then I got Arkham City instead. ACR was still great though.

He spent those years in Spain. Seems like learning Spanish would have been a higher priority.

Jexx21
06-21-2014, 09:53 PM
Hmm, where do we learn that he was in Spain?

HercRembrandt
06-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Getting a bit pedantic, but take King Richard for example:

"Richard spoke langue d'oïl, a French dialect, and Occitan, a Romance language spoken in southern France and nearby regions" (quoted from Wikipedia). So there will have to be at least some compromises. It's just a matter of choosing where to draw the line.

Stupid historical ppl, learn to speak a normal language!

Shahkulu101
06-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Hmm, where do we learn that he was in Spain?

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/815225-Assassin-s-Creed-II-Discovery-REMAKE?highlight=Assassin%27s+Creed+Discovery+REMA KE

Jexx21
06-21-2014, 10:24 PM
No I mean in between ACB and ACR

Discovery was inbetween sequences of AC2.

goob0t
06-22-2014, 02:01 AM
Personality, it just sounds like they couldn't get any cheap French voice actors so they said F it our fan base is a bunch of idiots any way, they won't know the difference.

RagingDragon14
06-22-2014, 02:11 AM
Weren't English speaking Frenchmen in those days taught by British tutors?

jmk1999
06-22-2014, 05:58 AM
Because it's really hard to find French actors in Montreal, duh.
the way i understand it, comparing french canadian to real french is like comparing mexican spanish to spain spanish... you're just gonna tick off the purists (and/or the "REAL" french fans). if you're gonna do it, do it right. finding proper french VAs is pretty difficult i guess. about the only ones i can think of off hand in the business are Karen Strassman and Corinne Kempa, and i doubt either will be playing Arno. :rolleyes: still, while it would be nice to hear accents more in the game, it's good that they know when to admit defeat when it comes to finding a proper VA. :nonchalance:

rob.davies2014
06-22-2014, 09:59 AM
"You skittish?"
"Oui." (said in a ridiculously English accent).

Does anybody else find this exchange quite jarring?

jmk1999
06-22-2014, 10:01 AM
i think it would be better if he said something like "ello guvnah! jolly good show! would ya like some tea an' crumpets with that?" but i guess we can't all be appeased, can we? :(

steveeire
06-22-2014, 10:14 AM
they should have accents, it helps create a atmosphere.

Dellers
06-22-2014, 11:15 AM
IMO French accent in English is what's disturbing. It makes English unbearable to listen to, really, since it's typically English words and 100% French pronunciation. As long as the characters in the game are speaking English in the first place they might as well do it properly. If I as a Norwegian am able to speak without a Norwegian accent I'm sure the Animus can translate French to English without an accent.

killzab
06-22-2014, 02:13 PM
IMO French accent in English is what's disturbing. It makes English unbearable to listen to, really, since it's typically English words and 100% French pronunciation. As long as the characters in the game are speaking English in the first place they might as well do it properly. If I as a Norwegian am able to speak without a Norwegian accent I'm sure the Animus can translate French to English without an accent.

Such an ignorant and stupid post

Sushiglutton
06-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Such an ignorant and stupid post

Why? I agree with him. It doens't make any sense why the Animus would translate to English but leave an accent. Ignoring Animus explanation accents in general are kind of silly imo. I'm glad Russel Crowe didn't have an Italian/Latin accent in Gladiator.

killzab
06-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Why? I agree with him. It doens't make any sense why the Animus would translate to English but leave an accent. Ignoring Animus explanation accents in general are kind of silly imo. I'm glad Russel Crowe didn't have an Italian/Latin accent in Gladiator.

Because of this :

"IMO French accent in English is what's disturbing. It makes English unbearable to listen to, really, since it's typically English words and 100% French pronunciation. As long as the characters in the game are speaking English in the first place they might as well do it properly. If I as a Norwegian am able to speak without a Norwegian accent I'm sure the Animus can translate French to English without an accent."

So I guess an Italian accent in Ezio games was fine but a french accent isn't ?

And I have a french accent when I speak english despite living in the USA for some time. So I guess I sound stupid then ?

Sushiglutton
06-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Because of this :

"IMO French accent in English is what's disturbing. It makes English unbearable to listen to, really, since it's typically English words and 100% French pronunciation. As long as the characters in the game are speaking English in the first place they might as well do it properly. If I as a Norwegian am able to speak without a Norwegian accent I'm sure the Animus can translate French to English without an accent."

And I have a french accent when I speak english despite living in the USA for some time. So I guess I sound stupid then ?

Hang on a second now, you speak French? Then I understand this even less. Why not just turn on French as the spoken language?

killzab
06-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Hang on a second now, you speak French? Then I understand this even less. Why not just turn on French as the spoken language?

I AM French.

And I will, but I will also play the game a second time with the original voice acting.

Sushiglutton
06-22-2014, 02:41 PM
I AM French.

And I will, but I will also play the game a second time with the original voice acting.

Ok I see. Anyway to answer you question I don't think French accent sounds stupid at all, nor is it unbearable to listen to, I see what you meant about that. I think Americans pretending to speak with a Fench accent can sound a bit stupid though.

killzab
06-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Ok I see. Anyway to answer you question I don't think French accent sounds stupid at all, nor is it unbearable to listen to, I see what you meant about that. I think Americans pretending to speak with a Fench accent can sound a bit stupid though.

But Ubi is a french company and they're developping the game in Montreal so they would have no shortage of people with genuine french accents.

Dellers
06-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Just to clarify, it's the combination of two languages that sounds annoying to me. I don't mind French or English separately, but when mixed 50/50 I just find it annoying. Slight accents are fine, but usually what you'll hear is a combination of one language's words and another's pronunciation. If the game was in the US and some characters were French it would be natural if they had a slight accent of course, but when it's in France anyway it should be either all French or all English (or something else).

SixKeys
06-22-2014, 02:47 PM

No, the Italian accent in the Ezio games was stupid too.

I believe this kind of "French" is what he's referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DrAp5gzdqc

Just imagine Arno as René. Would you want to listen to that in a dramatic story about the French Revolution?

steveeire
06-22-2014, 02:51 PM
srlsy though it can't be that hard to find a French voice actor who can speak English.

SixKeys
06-22-2014, 03:01 PM
srlsy though it can't be that hard to find a French voice actor who can speak English.

So you'd rather have one French person in all of France while everyone else speaks perfect English? Altaïr all over again, except reversed.

steveeire
06-22-2014, 06:57 PM
So you'd rather have one French person in all of France while everyone else speaks perfect English? Altaïr all over again, except reversed.

Not my point, but fine then, they can't get 6 or even 12 in all of the world?

SixKeys
06-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Not my point, but fine then, they can't get 6 or even 12 in all of the world?

Sure they can. The question is, why should they?

Xstantin
06-22-2014, 07:18 PM
So if Lafayette comes back in ACU (he took a part in the French Revolution) he'll have a different voice without "Bonne chance mon ami" and all that?

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-22-2014, 07:53 PM
So if Lafayette comes back in ACU (he took a part in the French Revolution) he'll have a different voice without "Bonne chance mon ami" and all that?

Ugh... I hope he has it. I think it's very authentic. And I like it :)

Xstantin
06-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Funny enough Lafayette from The Order 1886 speaks with a slight French accent and it's not jarring or comical.

jmk1999
06-22-2014, 09:24 PM
stephane cornicard would have been a nice option. he's got that sorta soothing sound to his voice. for anyone who plays dragon age, he was riordan, as well as stroud in DA2. he's sorta become their staple frenchman in a couple of situations. also, as i mentioned before, karen strassman and corinne kempa would have been viable options for female characters.

Dasmordo
07-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Shame they won't have French accents. I guess French is harder to understand, but still really disappointing and breaks immersion a bit. I guess one could turn the language to french and have subtitles on, but that would make modern day french too so that probably won't work. It would definitely enhance the overall story tho, but this just makes the quality abit less. I wish they would change their minds, but it's too late in development I'm sure. I guess Ubi thought they were doing everyone a favor, but instead just upset them.

Megas_Doux
07-11-2014, 11:34 PM
Shame they won't have French accent's I guess French is harder to understand, but still really disappointing and breaks immersion a bit. I guess one could turn the language to french and have subtitles on, but that would make modern day french too so. =/ Looks like Ubisoft ended up just making everyone upset.

Nah!!!

The whole accent thing was kinda dumb to begin with! Have you EVER seen a movie set in any country/era of non english speakers having accent just to indicate they are from that place?????? Does anyone have accents in 300, or in The Man in the Iron Mask?

And here is a secret, Italian Language during Ezio's trilogy was AWFUL!!!!!!!!

JustPlainQuirky
07-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Das, welcome to the forums! :o

Serrachio
07-11-2014, 11:57 PM
Nah!!!

The whole accent thing was kinda dumb to begin with! Have you EVER seen a movie set in any country/era of non english speakers having accent just to indicate they are from that place?????? Does anyone have accents in 300, or in The Man in the Iron Mask?

And here is a secret, Italian Language during Ezio's trilogy was AWFUL!!!!!!!!

The Assassin's Creed series isn't a movie, and I shouldn't expect that it conforms to movie style cliches. AC has always had a way of taking a slice of history and making it interesting through immersive interactivity, and that in part is due to the dedication to depicting the relevant eras as accurately as possible, accented speech included.

To just go "**** that, let's just have British voices for a French time period!" is exceedingly lazy and a poor decision in a games development cycle.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-12-2014, 12:02 AM
The Assassin's Creed series isn't a movie, and I shouldn't expect that it conforms to movie style cliches. AC has always had a way of taking a slice of history and making it interesting through immersive interactivity, and that in part is due to the dedication to depicting the relevant eras as accurately as possible, accented speech included.

To just go "**** that, let's just have British voices for a French time period!" is exceedingly lazy and a poor decision in a games development cycle.

If i'm not mistaken the voice actors in AC1 had american accents. That had nothing to do with the locations of the game.

However i think the reasoning behind this decision is lacking. Alex didn't really have an answer, or at least one that made any sense. I hope it won't affect the game, but i'm not worried about the lack of french accents.

Dasmordo
07-12-2014, 12:05 AM
Das, welcome to the forums! :o

Thanks and hello =)

and Yeah I hope they atleast take the time to explain why atleast. Like perfecting the Animus to translate accents now etc or more of a Doctor Who/T.A.R.D.I.S. like explanation.

LoyalACFan
07-12-2014, 12:09 AM
If i'm not mistaken the voice actors in AC1 had american accents. That had nothing to do with the locations of the game.

However i think the reasoning behind this decision is lacking. Alex didn't really have an answer, or at least one that made any sense. I hope it won't affect the game, but i'm not worried about the lack of french accents.

Only Altair had an American accent, and it was widely criticized.

As I've said before, though, I don't care that Unity doesn't have French accents. As long as the dialogue itself doesn't sound too modern. I HATE that in period pieces.

Shahkulu101
07-12-2014, 12:09 AM
The animus is supposed to directly translate all languages into English. This time it's just doing its job better, by eradicating accents the animus is translating French into English more efficiently.

In other words, if they are speaking French all the time - and not English with a French accent - it makes sense for the animus to translate this French into pure English rather than leave funny accents in.

Serrachio
07-12-2014, 12:11 AM

AC1 was a flagship project, a new IP. It would make sense that a new concept wouldn't have fully realized itself, and this was soon rectified in Revelations might I add. To suddenly turn back on the autheticity of the series so far for the sake of less effort, it doesn't not give Ubisoft a good impression among its fans.

JustPlainQuirky
07-12-2014, 12:13 AM
Altair's American accent did annoy the heck out of me. Same with his Desmond face.

I like Altair's 'more accurate' depiction from Revelations much more.

Shahkulu101
07-12-2014, 12:18 AM
I've heard from credible people that ACR Altair's arabic was terrible.

LoyalACFan
07-12-2014, 12:21 AM
I've heard from credible people that ACR Altair's arabic was terrible.

So were Ezio's Italian and Connor's Mohawk, so it was right at home ;)

Shahkulu101
07-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Was Connor's Mohawk bad? First time I've heard that...

Perhaps he should have tried a different hair gel.

Seriously though was it really?

JustPlainQuirky
07-12-2014, 12:29 AM
I dunno if Noah's Mohawk was bad.

But the little kid's acting from the beginning of AC3 was pretty bad IMO. Especially when he screamed 'moooom' it felt so fake to me.

But hey, he was just a kid

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 12:32 AM
Was Connor's Mohawk bad? First time I've heard that...

Perhaps he should have tried a different hair gel.

Seriously though was it really?

Well, Noah Watts is from the Crow tribe, Mohawk isn't his native language. He had to be taught by a language expert just like Roger Craig Smith had to be taught Italian, so I'm sure they're roughly on the same level of authenticity. Only those well versed in the Mohawk language can probably tell, though.

Shahkulu101
07-12-2014, 12:36 AM
I'm sure our very own Adventurewomen has said his Mohawk was authentic but I might be mistaken... :p

JustPlainQuirky
07-12-2014, 12:41 AM
Adventurewoman is native? or a specialist in the language? :confused:

LoyalACFan
07-12-2014, 12:43 AM
I'm sure our very own Adventurewomen has said his Mohawk was authentic but I might be mistaken... :p

But adventurewoman thinks Connor is the single most perfect human being in existence, so... :p

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 12:44 AM
His Mohawk was authentic, yes. That doesn't mean it was perfect. All the Italian Ezio spoke was authentic too, but to a real Italian R.C. Smith's pronunciation is laughable. Even I can hear the difference between Kanento:kon's (who was voiced by a real language expert) pronunciation and Noah's.

JustPlainQuirky
07-12-2014, 12:46 AM
What's worse?

A lack of an accent or a really bad one? :rolleyes:

Jexx21
07-12-2014, 12:46 AM
Adventurewoman is native? or a specialist in the language? :confused:
she's part mohawk and other tribes

mayrice i'm pretty sure there's no such thing as not having an accent

JustPlainQuirky
07-12-2014, 12:49 AM
I know that jexx.

I was referring to in-context french accent, italian accent, etc. to non french, non italian ears.

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 12:50 AM
What's worse?

A lack of an accent or a really bad one? :rolleyes:

A really bad one is worse IMO. The cheesy accents in some of the games can make a scene unintentionally cringeworthy. I'd rather everyone spoke like Altaïr (the real one, not the impostor from Revelations) than give them all Hollywood accents.

JustPlainQuirky
07-12-2014, 12:52 AM
I consider the Revelations one the real one and the AC1 to be the imposter TBH. :p

I dunno. I prefer giving someone the "you tried" gold star than the "you couldn't be bothered" star. But I guess it's a personal preference.

LoyalACFan
07-12-2014, 12:54 AM
A really bad one is worse IMO. The cheesy accents in some of the games can make a scene unintentionally cringeworthy. I'd rather everyone spoke like Altaïr (the real one, not the impostor from Revelations) than give them all Hollywood accents.

Altair did have a Hollywood accent IMO. He sounded like he'd be right at home in an 80s action flick. Faux-gritty emotionless hardass? Check.

Dasmordo
07-12-2014, 12:54 AM
I personally rather have a slightly bad accent in my game than none at all :P That's just me I guess.

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 12:56 AM
I consider the Revelations one the real one and the AC1 to be the imposter TBH. :p

I dunno. I prefer giving someone the "you tried" gold star than the "you couldn't be bothered" star. But I guess it's a personal preference.

AC1 Altaïr came first, therefore he's the real one.

It's not about not being bothered, it's about there being no good reason why you should. "You tried.....to give a horribly cliché Hollywood accent to everyone in your game, thereby perpetuating inaccurate stereotypes that make uneducated people think people actually sound like this in foreign countries. Nice going."

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 12:58 AM
Altair did have a Hollywood accent IMO. He sounded like he'd be right at home in an 80s action flick. Faux-gritty emotionless hardass? Check.

I should have specified that I meant "Hollywood foreigner", meaning exactly the kind of cliché Italian Ezio spoke in his games. Just like how Nazis in Hollywood movies alvays zpeak vit zis akzent. Altaïr's Hollywood cliché didn't come from his accent, but the way he used his voice.

JustPlainQuirky
07-12-2014, 12:59 AM
Well I feel at least trying to stay true to the voices is better than not representing it at all is what I am saying.

And I dont really agree with the 'came first so it's the real one' remark but whatever. agree to disagree.

Dasmordo
07-12-2014, 04:01 AM
Well I feel at least trying to stay true to the voices is better than not representing it at all is what I am saying.

And I dont really agree with the 'came first so it's the real one' remark but whatever. agree to disagree.

^ This. The 2nd Altair was way better

and I hope Ubisoft goes back to their old ways after this game as far as accents go.

Calvarok
07-12-2014, 04:48 AM
AC1 Altaïr came first, therefore he's the real one.

It's not about not being bothered, it's about there being no good reason why you should. "You tried.....to give a horribly cliché Hollywood accent to everyone in your game, thereby perpetuating inaccurate stereotypes that make uneducated people think people actually sound like this in foreign countries. Nice going."
Um, well to be fair they didn't get a white dude from california to do an impression in revelations. I think it felt consistent with the translation rules they were using in Ezios series, even though I agree that they were kinda stupid.

Because of the majority of people speaking english in the last two games and all non-english not being translated and being voiced by native speakers, they've sidestepped the issue. But I'm glad that now that they're going back to a non-english language they're moving on from the idea that the animus gives people who are ostensibly speaking their own language extremely thick accents that are clearly making it harder for them to talk. It was goofy and charming in the ezio trilogy, but it's time to let that whole concept go away.

I really hope that if they go to an asian country they just get asian actors who speak english fluently and tell them to speak normally, not put on the stereotypical version of themselves speaking english. I'm not sure what the rest of europe should sound like since imo few of the other languages bear enough similarities to english for an english accent to feel right everywhere.

(I don't think Connor's accent was as stereotypical as some people seem to think, and besides, he's actually supposed to be a person speaking a language that is not his first language. Plus he's voiced by a native. so if they did a character like him again they should do it a similar way)

HDinHB
07-12-2014, 06:12 AM
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until the game comes out, but it was odd to here the thick Quebecois accents of the Ubistaff describing the wonders of the French Revolution juxtaposed with the British accents of the French characters. Amancio's excuse was just sad. Yes, we all know that the ancient Romans spoke Latin that sounded just like Downton Abbey, and the BBC's Musketeers went with a mish-mash of mostly British accents for their French characters.

I think some native French speakers acting in English with their natural accents would be charming and immersive without being insulting. Ubisoft could afford Depardieu, Reno, Cotillard, Binoche, Le Pew , or the guy who played Gusteau in Ratatouille, but if not, there must be some talented French actors that could have contributed fantastically.

AC4 had a cheat where you could unlock pirate speech ("Arrrrr!") so maybe Unity will at least have that. The very talented voice actors Michael Sheen and Craig Ferguson recently performed an impromptu French scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3lU68PKhlg&feature=youtu.be&t=33m

Barring that, perhaps the French knights from Monty Python ("I shall taunt you a second time") could make an appearance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Um, well to be fair they didn't get a white dude from california to do an impression in revelations.

I think they did, actually. I'm not sure what Cas Anvar's nationality is, but it's definitely not Arabic, unlike Philip Shahbaz who actually is half-Arabic. Shahbaz could speak proper Arabic, he was simply told not to. Cas Anvar was told to speak Arabic and he spoke something that makes real Arabic speakers cringe.

Basically, imagine Thomas Hickey with his Cockney accent representing a typical American. Americans would be going "Why did they pick this guy? He doesn't sound American at all", while the rest of the world would go:

"Well, I'm not American, but he sounds American to me. It's better that they tried, right? Don't be so harsh on him!"
-Yeah, but that's not what an American accent actually sounds like. He sounds nothing like an American. I just can't suspend my disbelief because here's an obviously non-American guy playing an American but he sounds British.
-Gosh, well, he speaks English so I think his accent is just fine!"

Shahkulu101
07-12-2014, 07:02 PM
I think they did, actually. I'm not sure what Cas Anvar's nationality is, but it's definitely not Arabic, unlike Philip Shahbaz who actually is half-Arabic. Shahbaz could speak proper Arabic, he was simply told not to. Cas Anvar was told to speak Arabic and he spoke something that makes real Arabic speakers cringe.

Basically, imagine Thomas Hickey with his Cockney accent representing a typical American. Americans would be going "Why did they pick this guy? He doesn't sound American at all", while the rest of the world would go:

"Well, I'm not American, but he sounds American to me. It's better that they tried, right? Don't be so harsh on him!"
-Yeah, but that's not what an American accent actually sounds like. He sounds nothing like an American. I just can't suspend my disbelief because here's an obviously non-American guy playing an American but he sounds British.
-Gosh, well, he speaks English so I think his accent is just fine!"

I'm pretty sure nobody would think Hickey sounded American - people aren't stupid enough to think cockney sounds anything like an American accent.

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm pretty sure nobody would think Hickey sounded American - people aren't stupid enough to think cockney sounds anything like an American accent.

-_____-

My point was that real Americans know what real American accents sound like. If Ubi tried to pass off somebody like Hickey as American, Americans would be confused, maybe even offended that their intelligence was being blatantly insulted. But when a real Arabic person tells you Revelations' Altaïr sounds nothing like an Arab, and you tell that person "well, I'm not Arabic but he sounds Arabic to me because foreign accent, durr", you are being ridiculous.

Assassin_M
07-12-2014, 07:08 PM
But when a real Arabic person tells you Revelations' Altaïr sounds nothing like an Arab, and you tell that person "well, I'm not Arabic but he sounds Arabic to me because foreign accent, durr", you are being ridiculous.
That's the most understated understatement of all time, I remember that argument about Shahbaz and Anvar and people saying they liked Anvar more because he "had an accent" I cringe even more than I cringe when i listen to his "accent" in ACR

Shahkulu101
07-12-2014, 07:15 PM
I thought I was missing the point...sorry. :p

I get what you're saying, but if English speaking French accents are not allowed why make Paris feel like Downtown Abbey? I know it makes sense in principle if they are translating from one language to another to not leave an accent in but everyone being English in Paris? Nah, don't like it. Keep accents in but try to do them right I say.

I mean if Ezio spoke with a good Italian accent would the fact he was speaking in an accent in the first place be an issue?

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 07:19 PM
I thought I was missing the point...sorry. :p

I get what you're saying, but if English speaking French accents are not allowed why make Paris feel like Downtown Abbey? I know it makes sense in principle if they are translating from one language to another to not leave an accent in but everyone being English in Paris? Nah, don't like it. Keep accents in but try to do them right I say.

I mean if Ezio spoke with a good Italian accent would the fact he was speaking in an accent in the first place be an issue?

Do you also have a problem with historical movies like 300, Kingdom of Heaven, Troy, etc. where you have Greeks, Romans, Persians etc. all speaking with British or American accents? If you do, then fine, at least you're consistent. If you don't, why do you allow movies to get away with it but not games?

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Here's a perfect example for all of you saying "it's good enough that they're trying to put on an accent, it doesn't matter if it isn't perfect". Would you have a problem with it if these people were chosen to portray a native-born American in a game? After all, they're trying to sound English. Isn't that good enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejuK8_12Fmg

Note: it's not my intention to make fun of these people's language skills. Just making a point that a non-native trying to sound like a resident of that country is often unintentionally hilarious to those who actually know the proper pronunciation. Hence why it's not "good enough" that Altaïr has some kind of an accent. He's supposed to portray an Arab yet doesn't actually sound like an Arab. That's not good enough, that's lazy and insulting.

Shahkulu101
07-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Do you also have a problem with historical movies like 300, Kingdom of Heaven, Troy, etc. where you have Greeks, Romans, Persians etc. all speaking with British or American accents? If you do, then fine, at least you're consistent. If you don't, why do you allow movies to get away with it but not games?

I haven't seen many period pieces if any (not watched that many movies in general) but I was aware that was the case and yes I find it off-putting.

Calvarok
07-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Nobody complained about Les Miserables, or Valkyrie, or 300, or any number of historical films. The english accent is associated with european history, it makes sense to ground the player using that.

As for it not feeling like you're in france, literally every NPC that isn't related to the story or a side mission will only speak in french. So all the angry mobs, all the people who get weirded out when you climb a building, all of that will just be straight french. I feel like that's much more powerful for reminding you. And that can also be used for EVERY version of the game, so the japanese language version will feel like france, and so will the italian one.

Also Watch Dogs is a perfect example of how bad Ezio's accent sounds to native italian speakers. All of us know what to expect from a chicago accent, and it's so clearly obvious in W_D that almost every single person is french-canadian trying to put on a chicago accent. The only person who's actually supposed to be french actually has one of the less obvious accents.

ACfan443
07-12-2014, 09:22 PM

In the context of the AC franchise it's irritatingly dissonant. If they had done it like that since the very first title I'm sure everyone would have been fine with it, but the series has established this regional accent precedent and seeing it gone all of sudden is incredibly jarring. I get your point about the accents not being authentic, it was poor show on AC2's part (Ezio trilogy in general), but for ACU they could have easily scouted bilingual French VAs to keep both the dialect experts and seasoned fans happy.

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 10:33 PM
In the context of the AC franchise it's irritatingly dissonant. If they had done it like that since the very first title I'm sure everyone would have been fine with it, but the series has established this regional accent precedent and seeing it gone all of sudden is incredibly jarring. I get your point about the accents not being authentic, it was poor show on AC2's part (Ezio trilogy in general), but for ACU they could have easily scouted bilingual French VAs to keep both the dialect experts and seasoned fans happy.

Out of all the things they've changed over the years, why is the accent thing the one that bothers people? They've had first-person Portal puzzles, they've had tower defense, they've had a floating tablet as a protagonist, they've had ship battles, they've had magical spirit powers - all features which only appeared in one or at most two games, none of which had anything to do with an assassin simulator. And people think the accents are creating dissonance?

Hans684
07-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Out of all the things they've changed over the years, why is the accent thing the one that bothers people? They've had first-person Portal puzzles, they've had tower defense, they've had a floating tablet as a protagonist, they've had ship battles, they've had magical spirit powers - all features which only appeared in one or at most two games, none of which had anything to do with an assassin simulator. And people think the accents are creating dissonance?

AC isn't the typical Assassin simulator like Hitman.

ACfan443
07-12-2014, 11:07 PM

To be fair, those things did bother people, quite a lot of fans voiced their disapproval of those unconventional additions over the years and still do. The deviation from regional accents to standard English ones is just another nuisance to add to the list. I personally think an accent (an authentic one of course) helps with the cultural immersiveness and sense of place, which as a video game is far more important than a movie.

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 11:08 PM
AC isn't the typical Assassin simulator like Hitman.

AC1 was designed to be an assassin simulator. That was its primary purpose. Ask Patrice. The later games diverged from that concept, which proves my point perfectly. AC was designed to be an assassin simulator, then AC2 did something entirely different and turned it into medieval GTA. Talk about dissonance. Yet people were okay with it. Why?

I-Like-Pie45
07-12-2014, 11:18 PM
Cause its AC2!

Jexx21
07-12-2014, 11:25 PM
Because Patrice wanted to do something different with AC2.

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Because Patrice wanted to do something different with AC2.

More like Ubi higher-ups wanted something that was more marketable than AC1's barebones concept, so Patrice and his team had to adapt. Which isn't to say it was a bad choice, but Patrice has said that AC1 is still his personal favorite because it's the 'purest'. To me that says he wasn't the one to suggest the series needed a radical change.

Shahkulu101
07-12-2014, 11:34 PM
He and his team should have made a better assassin simulator then.

Sure, it was the first execution of a concept but that does not excuse the fact the stealth was terribly basic and the structure was repetitive.

I-Like-Pie45
07-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Patrice iz phat

ACfan443
07-12-2014, 11:43 PM

Sure, it was the first execution of a concept but that does not excuse the fact the stealth was terribly basic and the structure was repetitive.

I think it's all down to time constraints again. They spent a great deal of time building a brand new engine from scratch for exotic next gen architecture, and probably had little time to actually refine the game itself. I enjoyed it nonetheless and it remains one of favourites.

SixKeys
07-12-2014, 11:43 PM

Don't forget it was one of the first games on PS3. The leap between consoles was pretty massive back then. They were working with new hardware and had to figure out a lot of things nobody had done before (fully climbable surfaces and huge crowds being just a few things).

Shahkulu101
07-12-2014, 11:44 PM
I think it's all down to time constraints again. They spent a great deal of time building a brand new engine from scratch for exotic next gen architecture, and probably had little time to actually refine the game itself. I enjoyed it nonetheless and it remains one of favourites.

^ Good points actually. I loved it in parts, particularly just the locations themselves but it was a very voting game for me and I can understand the change in direction.

HDinHB
07-13-2014, 02:55 AM
Ubisoft is having a competition for French speakers to provide voices for Unity. http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/fr-FR/community/la-voix-de-la-revolution/index.aspx

In addition to a guillotine, top prizes include
- Enregistrement de votre voix en studio professionnel à Paris.
- L'opportunité de voir votre voix inclue dans le jeu Assassin's Creed Unity.

Subtitles:
-. Recording your voice in a professional studio in Paris
- The opportunity to see your voice included in the game Assassin's Creed Unity.

(And who knew that "goodies" is a French word?)

WendysBrioche
07-13-2014, 03:05 AM
Maybe it'll change before the game comes out. I know the Skyrim demo had an entirely different set of voice acting than what was actually used in the final game. There's still hope. :p

More like Ubi higher-ups wanted something that was more marketable than AC1's barebones concept, so Patrice and his team had to adapt. Which isn't to say it was a bad choice, but Patrice has said that AC1 is still his personal favorite because it's the 'purest'. To me that says he wasn't the one to suggest the series needed a radical change.

I have to agree with him in that. AC 1 always did feel the most innovative for me, and all the games thereafter felt produced from more of a marketing stand point. That's just me though.

Ubisoft is having a competition for French speakers to provide voices for Unity. http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/fr-FR/community/la-voix-de-la-revolution/index.aspx

In addition to a guillotine, top prizes include
- Enregistrement de votre voix en studio professionnel à Paris.
- L'opportunité de voir votre voix inclue dans le jeu Assassin's Creed Unity.

Subtitles:
-. Recording your voice in a professional studio in Paris
- The opportunity to see your voice included in the game Assassin's Creed Unity.

(And who knew that "goodies" is a French word?)

Nice find!

Hans684
07-13-2014, 09:35 AM
AC1 was designed to be an assassin simulator. That was its primary purpose. Ask Patrice. The later games diverged from that concept, which proves my point perfectly. AC was designed to be an assassin simulator, then AC2 did something entirely different and turned it into medieval GTA. Talk about dissonance. Yet people were okay with it. Why?

Ask Patrice he created both kind of AC's. He's the father of both. And consider the creator created both it's still AC. It proves my point perfectly.
AC is AC, Patrice is responsible for AC, AC2 and Brotherhood. That was his work, his formulas and his definitions of Assassins in the AC series. Why would he change that is that was not true? Why would he pull of a GTA if that is not true? Do you consider guns part of AC? Well here the thing, Amsterdam: 1666 was described by Patrice as AC with guns. Guns won't change AC. It would just make it AC with guns. Consider he don't work at Ubisoft anymore he couldn't use AC as the title. So it's a new IP, that Ubisoft got their hands on when the company he worked at got buyed by them.
Talk about narrowing possibilities and potentials. Yet people do when Patrice did otherwise. Why?

PS: The step father of AC is recreating the Assassin simulator with Unity. Only better and more focused.

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 04:03 PM
And the mother has returned for Unity as well.

Hans684
07-13-2014, 04:09 PM
And the mother has returned for Unity as well.

I fell bad, forgot Jade. But yes the mother returned for Unity.

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Also technically, since Amancio only had one game the mother has a polyandrous relationship :P

Except Hutchinson moved on to Far Cry.

DumbGamerTag94
07-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Maybe it'll change before the game comes out. I know the Skyrim demo had an entirely different set of voice acting than what was actually used in the final game. There's still hope. :p
!

I'm pretty sure they said that NPCs and passers by will still be speaking French. But the main dialogue will be English. So if I had to guess that is what that contest is for. Not to give the main characters accents unfortunately :/

SixKeys
07-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Ask Patrice he created both kind of AC's. He's the father of both. And consider the creator created both it's still AC. It proves my point perfectly.
AC is AC, Patrice is responsible for AC, AC2 and Brotherhood. That was his work, his formulas and his definitions of Assassins in the AC series. Why would he change that is that was not true? Why would he pull of a GTA if that is not true? Do you consider guns part of AC? Well here the thing, Amsterdam: 1666 was described by Patrice as AC with guns. Guns won't change AC. It would just make it AC with guns. Consider he don't work at Ubisoft anymore he couldn't use AC as the title. So it's a new IP, that Ubisoft got their hands on when the company he worked at got buyed by them.
Talk about narrowing possibilities and potentials. Yet people do when Patrice did otherwise. Why?

PS: The step father of AC is recreating the Assassin simulator with Unity. Only better and more focused.

I don't know why you're pulling guns or Amsterdam 1666 into all this. My point was that people are saying that changing one or two things is creating dissonance within the brand, yet the same people had no problem with all the changes AC2 made to the formula. AC1 was created as an assassin simulator, first and foremost. Then AC2 came along and took the series in an entirely different direction. Isn't that creating dissonance? Yet most people are okay with that change, because AC2. The series has changed or added or removed many features since the beginning and it hasn't actually destroyed the core. But change the silly accents and suddenly change is a bad thing that's creating dissonance because previous games had accents. That's like saying Aveline created dissonance in the brand because all the assassins up until then were male. Just because something has been done before doesn't mean it shouldn't be open to change, especially if it's a non-essential change that doesn't affect gameplay.

Jexx21
07-13-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm open to change

SixKeys
07-13-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm open to change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWnVmQZS_pU

LieutenantRex
07-13-2014, 06:27 PM
I see many people who claim no accents is a good thing who're the same people in other threads saying that Altair speaking with an American accent in AC1 was outrageous while everyone around him spoke with a Middle Eastern accent.

Farlander1991
07-13-2014, 07:32 PM
I see many people who claim no accents is a good thing who're the same people in other threads saying that Altair speaking with an American accent in AC1 was outrageous while everyone around him spoke with a Middle Eastern accent.

Wait... so?

Everyone speaking in the same manner (be it accent or no accent) = consistent.
Everyone is speaking with an appropriate accent but the one guy we see the most speaks with an American one = inconsistent.

goob0t
07-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Wait... so?

Everyone speaking in the same manner (be it accent or no accent) = consistent.
Everyone is speaking with an appropriate accent but the one guy we see the most speaks with an American one = inconsistent.

Altair's badass voice > consistency

Hans684
07-13-2014, 10:11 PM
I don't know why you're pulling guns or Amsterdam 1666 into all this. My point was that people are saying that changing one or two things is creating dissonance within the brand, yet the same people had no problem with all the changes AC2 made to the formula. AC1 was created as an assassin simulator, first and foremost. Then AC2 came along and took the series in an entirely different direction. Isn't that creating dissonance? Yet most people are okay with that change, because AC2. The series has changed or added or removed many features since the beginning and it hasn't actually destroyed the core. But change the silly accents and suddenly change is a bad thing that's creating dissonance because previous games had accents. That's like saying Aveline created dissonance in the brand because all the assassins up until then were male. Just because something has been done before doesn't mean it shouldn't be open to change, especially if it's a non-essential change that doesn't affect gameplay.

Why I did? It's simple.

Patrice creates two kinds of AC, he mixes the formulas. But in some people eyes it's not even "AC". He contradicted himself when making AC2/ACB the way(if he said it's an Assassin simulator only). Did he? What did he say during the marketing of AC2 then? How did he justify this new direction as AC? So you're saying people won't accept change, that's old news and funny as hell. I've been telling that a long time now. Pointing out errors(not only said by me, Ubisoft too(like why MD is like it is now)) and gotten burned on a stake for it by some. If people can't accept change this series wouldn't get anywhere, it's survivability would be lessened. The potential of this series would be narrowed and it would be just an historical Hitman. According to Patrice it can be more(AC2(prime example(fan favorite))), why it's even discussed is beyond me. And yet Patrice is praised like The Lord and savior. I won't confuse you either I'm not agains this simulator people brag about but that this series is a simulator only is my disagreement. And I'm not gonna go around speculating why he did change the formula(might as well get a tinfoil hat), there won't be any slid assumptions unless Patrice get out of the closet and start talking.

And technically every AC will always be an Assassin simulator(unless we play something else(like a Banker, Pirate, Templar etc...). The Animus renders the genetic memories in 3D, it's an simulator. Without the Animus there is no simulator. When we relived the memories of Altaïr we relived the memories of an Assassin. Then he lost his Assassin rank, meaning we it's not an Assassin simulator. It's an Animus simulating his to become an Assassin. From there you get the point. Then we have Ezio, we start the game as a noble man(or a banker(Banker Simulator)). And on and on... Then Connor(Mohawk(Or native(Native Simulator)) and for last Edward and the famous Pirate simulator, more known as Pirate's Creed.

WendysBrioche
07-15-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm pretty sure they said that NPCs and passers by will still be speaking French. But the main dialogue will be English. So if I had to guess that is what that contest is for. Not to give the main characters accents unfortunately :/

We still can't be sure tho. Demos are not necessarily 100% reflective of the way things will be in the game, I'd say there's still quite a chance our characters might have slightly more French accents in the final game.

I.e. Ezio's voice in the AC 2 E3 2009 demo was nothing like his voice in the final game. At least I dont think so. Character and personality seemed different.

@5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9nU2dd-_Pc

Actually they sound the same, but still... XD

rob.davies2014
08-14-2014, 11:11 PM
So they released the Unity demo today; https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU_fwlBSrMIfdb4Br2O_Fzlw&v=ot0MpgIaMC4

The game looks absolutely amazing, which almost makes the whole accents thing worse. A beautiful game is being dragged down by something so avoidable and stupid.

It is so jarring to hear people in 18th century Paris speaking with rural English accents. I think this was a huge mistake on Ubisoft's part.

It sounds terrible and breaks the immersion of the game.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-14-2014, 11:16 PM
I did notice the accents sounded a little funny, but yes, it does break immersion a little bit.

But I'm sure he's not the only character who's had their "moments" where it sounds terrible, but maybe that'll only be in a few scenes.

DumbGamerTag94
08-15-2014, 12:30 AM
It's not so much Arno I have a problem with. Mild/sophisticated British accents are ok with me because of the who "animus translates so you hear them as if they are speaking English". But what drives me insane is the atrocious cockney accents that random citizens and guards have. It's jarring and annoying. First they claim the do away with accents. But in reality they just replaced one cheesy accent with another one that doesn't even belong in the region. It's terrible.

I mean if you listen to that video with your eyes closed you would swear the setting is London not Paris. It's disgraceful. I feel like I'm watching Oliver Twist.

Why? Why cockney? I'd be fine if it were just mild/standard British and American accents. But Cockney? Why not throw in a few southern Americans? Or perhaps Chinese? Or Italian? Since they really don't seem to give a crap at all what accent they use.

If you chose to add accents use the RIGHT accents for the setting. Otherwise use no accents at all it's just very distracting and incredibly strange.

I-Like-Pie45
08-15-2014, 12:35 AM
OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO D*ck Van D*ke would be proud of YOU-NI-TEE! eheheheheheheheheh

DumbGamerTag94
08-15-2014, 12:38 AM
Haha nice one pie!

Locopells
08-15-2014, 12:43 AM
Funny, seeing as I literally just watched Saving Mr Banks...

rob.davies2014
08-15-2014, 01:05 AM
Solution; set the next game in Victorian London!

We get an awesome setting and Ubisoft get to have their British accents in a game where it actually makes sense.

Regarding Unity though, I'm just so annoyed. It's next gen! They've been saying how it's meant to be a fresh start. So why remove something which added so much flavour to the AC games?!