PDA

View Full Version : Parkour in Unity

Farlander1991
06-10-2014, 07:12 AM
So we have seen the new parkour system in the E3 demos. What do you think about it? It looks very neat, I wonder how it's controlled.

We have diagonal wall-running to set us on our path (instead of always using boxes), we can actually jump over fences instead of standing on them, and the descending capabilities look awesome (I just hope they're going to be precise).

Legendz54
06-10-2014, 07:15 AM
Looks very fluid and smooth, Just a guess maybe we hold down a button and tilt the right stick on the controller down or up to control what we grab and which direction we go.

Jexx21
06-10-2014, 07:16 AM
maybe it'll be a toggle

stealth sounds like it works via a toggle

UbiGabe
06-10-2014, 07:26 AM
We'll have developer blogs going up throughout the week that cover both the new parkour system and the new stealth mechanics... but you are definitely on the right track with the suppositions here!

deskp
06-10-2014, 07:26 AM
hold A to go up B to go down, on the xbox while u hold the right trigger. We've been doing this in ac a while now, its jsut that now he actually climbs down insetad of drop. If you dont wanna go up or down jsut hold the run button.

As for jumping over fences... we can do that already aswell, by holding A or B when u run at them.

We'll have developer blogs going up throughout the week that cover both the new parkour system and the new stealth mechanics... but you are definitely on the right track with the suppositions here!

When will the "customization" and "paris" tabs become available on the official website? this week or what.

JustPlainQuirky
06-10-2014, 07:27 AM
looks friggin smooth and amazing.

So happy.

yeah

Farlander1991
06-10-2014, 07:29 AM
As for jumping over fences... we can do that already aswell, by holding A or B when u run at them.

Not fences that are taller than the character, though (which are the ones I was talking about).

Locopells
06-10-2014, 10:01 AM
That decent from Notre Dame...damm, that's some vertigo, right there!

Sushiglutton
06-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Saw some more info in a Game Informer article:

"In practice, this system seems to be very simple. To ascend a building quickly, the system is very much like its always been hold RT and A. Controlled descent is now much the same, but you hold RT and B. The result looks especially cool, as Arno swings, clambers, and flips his way down along hand and footholds of a building or wall to reach ground level. "

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/assassins_creed_unity/b/xboxone/archive/2014/06/11/ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-assassin-s-creed-unity.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Thought it was kind of interesting. Not only does the claw seem to be back. There is now a secondary, descend claw. Great news imo :)! Should add much needed precision to the system! Hopefully there are some special moves we can pull off that they haven't talked about yet.

Shahkulu101
06-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Has the Ubi Blog covered parkour yet?

poptartz20
06-11-2014, 06:55 PM
it looks insanely crazy! Looking forward to it!

jdowny
06-11-2014, 07:41 PM
It's honestly like they read my mind. The animations look smooth, varied and realistic where AC III and IV (to me) didn't. There are so many moves that it's hard to pick out a favourite, but I particularly love the air assassinations. From AC II onwards, air assassinations, particularly from a great height, involved the character jumping a huge distance and just falling. This looked especially bad when your target was moving at the same time, and your character would defy physics and change direction in mid-air to land on top.

The ones in Unity look visibly better, as though every detail has been motion captured. I don't think I've looked forward to an AC more since Revelations.

Kirokill
06-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Has the Ubi Blog covered parkour yet?

Small info: http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm%3A154-147127-16&ct=tcm%3A148-76770-32

As it have been already mentioned.

Ureh
06-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Bye bye hay stacks. :)Descending looks neat, but hopefully we can shift directions at a whim (ie say we're swinging down to the east side of the building, but then I change my mind and want to quickly swing down to the west side. Sorta like multiple haystacks that lead to different directions). But then again this is the new "leap of faith" so it's probably just holding down two buttons and not worrying about the rest.

pacmanate
06-11-2014, 10:33 PM
Saw some more info in a Game Informer article:

"In practice, this system seems to be very simple. To ascend a building quickly, the system is very much like its always been hold RT and A. Controlled descent is now much the same, but you hold RT and B. The result looks especially cool, as Arno swings, clambers, and flips his way down along hand and footholds of a building or wall to reach ground level. "

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/assassins_creed_unity/b/xboxone/archive/2014/06/11/ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-assassin-s-creed-unity.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Thought it was kind of interesting. Not only does the claw seem to be back. There is now a secondary, descend claw. Great news imo :)! Should add much needed precision to the system! Hopefully there are some special moves we can pull off that they haven't talked about yet.

Well you had to do RT and X to vault over things and RT and O to descend anyway so the claw was always there, its just prolonged now instead of being in short bursts.