PDA

View Full Version : AC Unity: The Groovy Drug Trip?

Wolfmeister1010
06-10-2014, 04:30 AM
One thing has been bugging me about the demos..and I finally figured it out. The one thing that makes the game look unfinished and..weird.

EVERYTHING on screen in terms of the UI is just...

First of all, the detection meter is AWFUL.what is it a yellow cube? Seriously?

Next, for some reason they decided it would be a great idea to make the enemy highlights bright yellow and/or red..as if the white one wasn't annoying enough..

And lastly, gone is the annoying Animus effect for blending, in exchange for and even MORE annoying and immersion breaking blue ghostly mist effect.

Just..WHY? All this stuff makes me feel like I am smoking salvia while watching..and it is even MORE noticeable against the gritty and neutral environment.

Arno's bright blue outfit just adds insult to injury, but that is a topic for another discussion. What do you guys think?

I don't know if this should stay as its own thread or if the mods think it should go into an already made thread so do with it as you wish.

Shahkulu101
06-10-2014, 04:33 AM
Looks like you really have been smoking salvia

LoyalACFan
06-10-2014, 04:33 AM
the game look unfinished and..weird.

... it IS unfinished. I'm willing to forgive a little weirdness. The UI does seem a little odd in places, but I greatly prefer the new look of blending, and the enemy highlights look way better in yellow and red than they did in white.

And I'm absolutely in love with the outfit, the blue is perfect.

Wolfmeister1010
06-10-2014, 04:35 AM
... it IS unfinished.

Well obviously..but you know what I mean. They can either keep the UI or change it. As of now, the UI part of the dev is finished unless they decide to change it.

Shahkulu101
06-10-2014, 04:37 AM
I wonder what the hell Helix is?

Ze new Animus?

SixKeys
06-10-2014, 04:39 AM
The blending in Unity looks fantastic. It's the best version we've had since AC1. A faint blue outline is soooo much better than monochrome spiderweb or ugly circle antennae. DON'T CHANGE A THING, DEVS.

I agree about the UI icons, though. The yellow exclamation marks are awful and don't fit at all with the rest. I hope they're just placeholders. The enemies' healthbar is too big. And worst of all, the "high ground" feature where you climb up and your view is instantly cluttered with tons of mission icons. These should only appear when synchronizing a viewpoint like in AC4, or at the push of a button, not automatically. Icon clutter is the worst immersion-breaker in AC.

DumbGamerTag94
06-10-2014, 04:41 AM
Personally I like it. The highlights aren't that annoying. I like how the xray effect and over highlighting fades away after a while when u use eagle vision. I hated how AC4 had like permanent xray vision once we tagged an enemy it was awful and they were solid red or yellow that drove me insane. The new set up brought things back while keeping the benefits of AC4s system. Definitely a keeper for me.

I like the mist. Its much less ridiculous IMO than turning black and white and sparkling. I hardly even notice it in the demos. and I like hardly noticing that particular feature.

I really do hope that the high ground feature is only there if we push a certain button tho. If that pops up every time I slow down on a rooftop I think I'm liable to throw my controller through the TV.

As for the outfit. I like it. I just feel it needs a little something. Perhaps a bit more red, or brown/leather accents to it. I like the blue, I just think it looks TOO blue if you know what I mean? Throw a little bit of white or red or brown accents in there to break it up a little and I think it would look amazing. The front side already looks incredible, they just need to work on the back side a little and the tails of his coat IMO.

LoyalACFan
06-10-2014, 04:43 AM
And worst of all, the "high ground" feature where you climb up and your view is instantly cluttered with tons of mission icons. These should only appear when synchronizing a viewpoint like in AC4, or at the push of a button, not automatically. Icon clutter is the worst immersion-breaker in AC.

I'm pretty sure it IS only at the press of a button, just like how R1 pulled up the completion menu for locations in AC4. Because that one scene is the only time it shows up; it isn't there every time he goes on a roof.

SixKeys
06-10-2014, 04:50 AM
I love how Arno's outfit is turning this forum into an episode of Qu33r Eye. ;)

Personally I like it. The highlights aren't that annoying. I like how the xray effect and over highlighting fades away after a while when u use eagle vision. I hated how AC4 had like permanent xray vision once we tagged an enemy it was awful and they were solid red or yellow that drove me insane. The new set up brought things back while keeping the benefits of AC4s system. Definitely a keeper for me..

Did anyone else catch that they were calling it Eagle Pulse?

Edit: "Qu33r" isn't a swear word. :rolleyes:

Megas_Doux
06-10-2014, 04:53 AM
I hope you can customize the hud options and leave the game as pristine as possible.

LoyalACFan
06-10-2014, 05:01 AM
Did anyone else catch that they were calling it Eagle Pulse?

Yeah, and I can't tell whether they actually changed the name of it or if that's just a in-company term like "sync towers"

SixKeys
06-10-2014, 05:12 AM
Yeah, and I can't tell whether they actually changed the name of it or if that's just a in-company term like "sync towers"

It was called Eagle Sense in ACR, another Amancio game. It seems like he likes the idea of EV not being perfect but something to be honed, which I can dig. In ACR you had to scan targets instead of immediately identifying them, which was a downgrade in a way, but feels more natural. I like the idea that Arno starts off with limited intuition.

LoyalACFan
06-10-2014, 05:15 AM
It was called Eagle Sense in ACR, another Amancio game. It seems like he likes the idea of EV not being perfect but something to be honed, which I can dig. In ACR you had to scan targets instead of immediately identifying them, which was a downgrade in a way, but feels more natural. I like the idea that Arno starts off with limited intuition.

Eh, I dunno, it seems kinda OP to me at the moment. I mean, he can stand on the street and see guards through walls into a room on the second story. And that's apparently just the early-game version of it.

SixKeys
06-10-2014, 05:30 AM
Eh, I dunno, it seems kinda OP to me at the moment. I mean, he can stand on the street and see guards through walls into a room on the second story. And that's apparently just the early-game version of it.

Yeah, that part I don't like. I'd prefer it if it was more like TLoU where Joel has to stand perfectly still and listen and you'll see faint outlines of the people talking in the next room. As soon as they stop talking or moving, the outlines get dimmer or fade completely.

Locopells
06-10-2014, 10:08 AM
It seems like we may have some kind of skill tree here, so there are probably different names for different aspects of it.

Farlander1991
06-10-2014, 10:12 AM
It seems Amancio doesn't like Hidden Blade and Eagle Vision :D
ACR: Hookblade and Eagle Sense
ACU: Phantom Blade and Eagle Pulse