PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Usage

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 06:49 PM
What's the best use of a radiator?
(And no "bullet magnet" responses, please)

When do you open it? How much does it affect flight performance?

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 06:49 PM
What's the best use of a radiator?
(And no "bullet magnet" responses, please)

When do you open it? How much does it affect flight performance?

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 06:54 PM
The radiator causes a considerable reduction in top speed, but has little effect during slow flight (climb, turn).

In the Bf-109K4, the radiator causes a 50km/h reduction in sea level top speed when fully open.

I use the radiator only as a last resort to do a WEP climb or turnfight without busting the engine. Whenever going fast, I always keep it closed.

<div align=center>http://www.members.shaw.ca/fennec/plane.jpg </div><font size=-9>

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Open the radiator for taxi and takeoff. For climb and normal flight you can keep it open or partially open to keep temps low. For top speed you will have to close it. My best advice is this: Don't go around @ full power all the time unless you have to! Many ppl keep the throttle @ 100% or more during normal flight. When you get into combat your engine overheats faster because of this. Be gentle to the engine before the engagement and it will be more loyal during the engagement.

<center> http://www.4yourfuture.net/handshake.gif

"Altitude, speed, maneuver, fire!"-The "formula of Terror" of Aleksandr Pokryshkin, Three times awarded the rank of Hero of the Soviet Union

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Thanks, my fellow virtual pilots!

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 08:25 PM
I remember reading somewhere(maybe a flight manual...) that for some air-cooled engines, opening the radiator(or equivalent) in cold weather during a dive could lead to excessive cooling of the cylinders. Does anybody know anything about this, and if its modeled in the game?

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 09:04 PM
I don't think it's modelled in IL2 or FB but it is true.

When practicing "engine failures" in cessnas (ie, pulling throttle all the way out) one should give the engine some gas with every 500 feet descended so as to prevent that very problem (overcooling and stressing the cylinders).

Cheers, /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
Cg

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 09:16 PM
I keep it closed as much as possible. IMHO, the radiator flaps cause more drag than they cool. If you practice engine management well, you can keep keep the engnie cool and the flaps closed most of the time.

In a Bf109, take off, then close the radiator, and climb at full power. Once you get up to 500-1000m and are up to speed (300kph) throttle back to 80%, set prop pitch to 80%, and keep the radiator closed. Vary your angle of attack to keep speed at around 300kph while climbing. You usually won't overheat and have much better fuel economy and better climbing.

Once you get the overheat message, and eventually you will, throttle back a little (60%) and open the radiator one or two steps. After the engine cools, close the radiator and go.

Some planes (BF109e is one) that are much more heat sensitive. You have to open the radiator quickly once you have an overheat message.

Otherwise, I figure you can go about a minute after the overheat message comes on before opening the radiator without causing damage to the engine. So I will let it overheat for a while in combat and then open the radiator when clear.

Also, when I'm being chased and have a long way to run, overheat the engine for a minute, open the radiator to let it cool, and as soon as you get the normal message, give it full throttle and go back into overheat for a minute and then cool again. You can recycle this pattern for a long while. As long as you get a normal message every couple of minutes, you can keep the engine overheated for extended (but intermittent) periods. Of course, in a life or death situation, close the radiator and give it full throttle. Who cares if you fry the engine if you're getting shot up by a P-47. No engine two minutes from now is better than dead in 20 seconds. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Finally, if you're about to overshoot a landing, open your radiator for extra drag. It's like an additional flaps setting.