PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Collection on next gen? (PS4/Xbox One)

jdkunya
06-06-2014, 07:03 AM
It hurts to see these massive collections on previous gen, but not next gen. I think it would be AWESOME if they brought this collection over to next gen. That means all Assassins Creed games would be playable on next gen consoles!

Farlander1991
06-06-2014, 07:13 AM
Next-gen consoles have a structure VERY different from the last-gen ones. Transferring AC1 to AC3 to them would require a lot of manpower and work.

For example, The Last of Us for PS4, Naughty Dog has said that they've encountered a lot of problems transferring the game to that platform. When you get the basic things over, everything's broken - shadows, lighting, models, just getting an image is hard.

Sure, Ubi has experience with AC4, but that doesn't mean there's any less work required in transferring the previous games to the next-gen. If this happens, wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon.

jdkunya
06-06-2014, 07:16 AM
<:O

...Then they should at least add achievements to steam.

LoyalACFan
06-06-2014, 07:22 AM
PS4 is going to have that PS Now emulation software coming out sometime next year I think. You could potentially stream them through that. Don't expect Ubisoft to independently release remastered versions though, because the amount of work required to transfer all five games would probably be analogous to making a whole new game.

Farlander1991
06-06-2014, 07:29 AM
...Then they should at least add achievements to steam

Not going to happen either I'm afraid. Steam versions still use uPlay which have got their own achievement systems (and my guess the games themselves aren't equipped to communicate with Steam, I doubt Ubi integrates Steamworks).

NekoKera
06-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Making the conversion over can be tricky enough, then you have to factor in people's "next-gen" expectations for them to be an "HD Re-release" then, aside from using the full-sized textures, you have a bit much to chew off since you essentially have to bring 5 games up to "next-gen" quality in a single package, otherwise people will start getting their pitchforks if it isn't 1080p/60fps with ultra settings or added goodies and extras while running on the latest engine / build that Unity is on. Personally, I wouldn't mind them in the traditional form unedited but I would have to ask myself if I want to purchase something I already have access to on an older format if it is still the same experience. If there is any hope for such a project I would put it in the sheer size of the teams that work on AC titles or the fact that they can let an outside team work on the re-releases since everything is already there. I guess it really comes down to how many people would be willing to buy a fully packaged Assassin's Creed set updated and how much would they be willing to pay. If the money isn't there then there really isn't a reason for them to even bother with the process and with the possibility of emulation or rental services the necessity is even lessened.

Sushiglutton
06-06-2014, 09:07 AM
They will come to next gen, don't worry about it. Only question is when and how much Ubi will spend on brushing them up. After all it is their crown jewel!

Next-gen consoles have a structure VERY different from the last-gen ones. Transferring AC1 to AC3 to them would require a lot of manpower and work.

For example, The Last of Us for PS4, Naughty Dog has said that they've encountered a lot of problems transferring the game to that platform. When you get the basic things over, everything's broken - shadows, lighting, models, just getting an image is hard.

Sure, Ubi has experience with AC4, but that doesn't mean there's any less work required in transferring the previous games to the next-gen. If this happens, wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon.

Ps3 and Ps4 are very different, which is why I think ND has struggled so much (Ps3 is a pain pretty much). ND were masters of squeezing all the power out of the Ps3 and one would assume they used various hardware specific tricks to do so.

Ubi have all their games on PC and porting from PC to Ps4/X1 I would guess is easier. Not saying it will be trivial, but I think Ubi will struggle less than ND.

Edit: forum splits the quote for whatever reason.

pacmanate
06-06-2014, 11:32 AM

I thought they also said the problem was 50GB discs weren't enough. Oh games.

RinoTheBouncer
06-06-2014, 11:38 AM
I’d do anything for a completely remaster AC collection. I’m a Beta Tester of PlayStation Now. I can’t comment on the features or how things go with PS Now, but I personal wish we’d get a fully remastered, disc-based release because AC games are long games that you cannot just rent for a limited period or stream because a lot of people do not have a very fast internet connection. It would be totally feasible to pay for a whole set and play it in a truly remastered form than to pay for a game to play for a limited time in the same quality and as a stream rather than a download.

pacmanate
06-06-2014, 11:40 AM
PS4 is going to have that PS Now emulation software coming out sometime next year I think. You could potentially stream them through that. Don't expect Ubisoft to independently release remastered versions though, because the amount of work required to transfer all five games would probably be analogous to making a whole new game.

Eh, PS Now doesn't up-res anything though, it is just what you said, an emulator. So in that respect its not what everyone wants. Everyone wants better graphics.

However... That would take a stupid amount of time to do for AC1 - AC3

Shahkulu101
06-06-2014, 11:46 AM
I don't know about remakes...there's something beautifully nostalgic about replaying original games on your old console - and in about 10 years I'll probably feel like that when I go back to replay my favourite AC games again on my PS3. A feeling I can appreciate more than graphics.