PDA

View Full Version : Community Challenge Woes

Fury074ubi
06-05-2014, 01:54 AM
So I was playing Black Flag when a Community Challenge popped up and it was to find the Great Whit Whale on my map.

So I'm sailing the Caribbean, when the whale emerges from the sea of my starboard (right) side, and nothing.

No prompt to hunt the whale, no congrats that I found it, nothing. Not even when I looked at my map, did anything happen. The whale did it again a few times when I turned around sailed through where I spotted it, and nothing.

What gives? I feel cheated.

Ureh
06-05-2014, 02:35 AM
When you looked at the world map and the mini-map did you see a light-blue icon like this?

http://i.imgur.com/VB5sioO.jpg

Fury074ubi
06-05-2014, 03:16 AM
No. I looked all over the map, nothing came up. It still surfaced out of the water, but as I said no prompt to hunt it.

Ureh
06-05-2014, 05:45 AM
You mentioned Community Challenges. I wasn't aware that they have returned. Anyway I'll post a checklist and hope we can get to the bottom of this. I know some of it may sound really obvious/redundant but hopefully you can bear with me.

1. The first thing that should happen when a the game notifies you that you found a social event (chests, white whales, royal convoys) is a small box with blue words should pop up in the lower-right corner of the screen. It should read something similar to: "Congratulations! You found a ______! It has been shared with your friends. " Did you receive something like this before you started your search?
2. When you open the pause menu there should be a column on the right hand side with the words "discovery sharing" in blue text accompanied with the whale info. Don't see it?
3. How did you know where to search for the White Whale? You said that you didn't see the whale icon or a set of coordinates similar to the one in the screenshot I provided.

I'll go see if there are any active Coommunity Challenges on my end (ps3).

update: Just checked, the Community Challenges aren't available at the moment. I'm guessing this applies to all platforms. But you should still be able to find social chests, royal convoys and white whales.

update2: I noticed in the pause menu, under the "discovery sharing" tab, a reminder that I found a white whale (with over 3 hours left before it expires) but when I search the world map I don't see any white whale icons. Maybe I didn't scan the map carefully enough or there's some sort of glitch.

update3: I double checked the acinitiates.com forums. People are still reporting white whale coordinates.

Fury074ubi
06-05-2014, 06:30 PM
I don't remember if the notice showed up on the lower left corner of the screen during play, but it certainly did in the top right corner of the pause menu screen. And I found it while I was sailing around the northern coastline of Cuba.

Maybe it is a glitch.

Ureh
06-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Yes, the northern coast of Cuba is a pretty common place for random white whales to show up.

I should've made the differentiation between random white whales and social event white whales.
1. Random white whales can't be interacted with. No icon will show up on the map, and they only serve as eye candy, similar to the Humpback whale random event. They're pretty rare but are able to appear even when you don't have an internet connection.
2. Social Event white whales only show when connected to the internet. However we can only hunt them if the game notifies us (in the bottom-left corner) and a light-blue icon shows up on the map. When you reach the icon it should work like any other harpooning spot (birds flying above a white circular area).

If you're having trouble finding white whales then I recommend this place:
https://acinitiates.com/forum/category/5/page/1

Find the thread dedicated to your platform, eventually someone will post coordinates to a white whale they found. All you need to do is just travel to the coords before the timer runs out.

stephen_social
06-23-2014, 03:57 PM
So I want to start by saying that it REALLY helps to hear that there is a difference between "random white whales" and the ones you can actually hunt! That solves one of my problems.... I think I found the same White Whale along the northern coast of Cuba that you guys are talking about.

But this still doesn't solve the fact that I've never ran into a White Whale while connected to the internet. :/

Does this feature actually require you to have friends playing the game? If so I'm screwed because I don't have any friends who play AC games. :/ If that's the case then I feel cheated by the fact that they're coding in features of the game that can't be completed by dedicated players like myself who are passionate about the AC series of games but don't have friends who share that passion. :/

GoOregonDucks2
06-27-2014, 11:34 PM
You just need to be connected to uplay. If you download the uplay software to your PC or the app to your phone, you can search for friends and then send them a request. You have to be on the same platform playing the game. I'm on PS4 so feel free to send me a request if you are on PS4.