PDA

View Full Version : Best DLC for bass?

Tipsly
06-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Not the most challenging, but most fun to play. I only have about 5 DLC songs, and I'm getting really tired of playing the same stuff.

MoldyRhyme94061
06-03-2014, 10:49 PM
I really like the Cake dlc on bass. I will survive is the only challenging one out of those. Also Radiohead and the cure dlc are fun without being super challenging but some songs still have tough parts. My girl- temptations, sittin on the dock of the bay- Otis redding, drift away- dobie gray; are other fun bass songs that aren't very hard

Tipsly
06-03-2014, 11:13 PM
I really like the Cake dlc on bass. I will survive is the only challenging one out of those. Also Radiohead and the cure dlc are fun without being super challenging but some songs still have tough parts. My girl- temptations, sittin on the dock of the bay- Otis redding, drift away- dobie gray; are other fun bass songs that aren't very hard
I'm gonna spend $50 on DLC. I've decided on Pantera Pack, Iron Maiden Pack, Radiohead pack, and Bass Expansion. I'm thinking I'll save the rest if a DLC I really want comes out, or should I just go all out? Thinking maybe getting The Cure pack, although I don't listen to them.

Tipsly
06-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Can someone clarify for me. On Rocksmith 2014, the bass expansion. Did I misinterpret what it is? Does it add bonus bass arrangements to all songs? Or is it only used for the original Rocksmith, but for some reason still on Rocksmith 2014? Someone please clarify

MoldyRhyme94061
06-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Nice calls. Pantera pack and iron maiden are difficult but definitely some of the songs I play the most (and struggle on) . If you like classic rock the allman brothers band pack and rush pack are difficult and fun also. I have been focusing on the iron maiden stuff because I feel like getting good at those would be a great way to get better at speed and transitioning. Very intense bass lines.

MoldyRhyme94061
06-03-2014, 11:41 PM
I think the bass expansion is just if you bought the original that didn't have bass included. Someone probably know more about it but I bought rocksmith 1 with bass and the expansion and I'm pretty sure that was a waste of money. I would only get the bass expansion if your game does not say that bass is included.

DanAmrich
06-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Can someone clarify for me. On Rocksmith 2014, the bass expansion. Did I misinterpret what it is? Does it add bonus bass arrangements to all songs? Or is it only used for the original Rocksmith, but for some reason still on Rocksmith 2014? Someone please clarify

The original RS had a bass expansion a year after it came out, which added bass arrangements to all the existing songs. Bass is baked in to RS2014 and there are no expansion packs for RS2014 -- just DLC with bass included.

I second the Cake suggestion. Two Princes by Spin Doctors is another really nice bass groove, active and bouncy. And let me point you to Riff Repeater's Top 20 bass songs (http://www.theriffrepeater.com/20-songs-rocksmith-2014-need-try-bass/) before Elliott has a chance to do so himself. :)

Tipsly
06-03-2014, 11:46 PM
I think the bass expansion is just if you bought the original that didn't have bass included. Someone probably know more about it but I bought rocksmith 1 with bass and the expansion and I'm pretty sure that was a waste of money. I would only get the bass expansion if your game does not say that bass is included.
Thanks, saved me $10.

Dagreenskins
06-04-2014, 12:28 AM
Did you import the RS1 songs? If not that would be the best bang for your buck. There are a lot of RS1 songs that are fun to play and not that hard.

BazzTard61
06-04-2014, 05:11 AM
Boston pack was great fun on bass, nice melodic playing

Spin Doctors - Two Princes

Cake= all songs fun, especially I Will Survive

The Shins - Caring is Creepy (RS1 DLC I think)

RUSH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! say no more !

RUSH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did I mention RUSH?

toymachinesh
06-04-2014, 05:23 AM
Blue Oyster Cult Pack has some challenging but fun Bass Lines

Also both David Bowie songs on DLC :)

JakeSeattleX19
06-04-2014, 05:40 AM
Not the most challenging, but most fun to play. I only have about 5 DLC songs, and I'm getting really tired of playing the same stuff.

When I want to just play and not have to think I usually play the foo fighters pack. But I can't remember if it's rs1 or 2014...

elemenohpenc
06-04-2014, 06:07 AM
As someone who has played literally every song on bass, my recommendation for PACKS are:

Easy (but fun):
The Clash - a lot of basic progressions played in a slow, relaxed groove
The Police - straightforward basslines with a few fills and frills
Queen - really shows the relationship between drums and bass. while songs like Stone Cold Crazy might be pretty difficult, most of the Queen material in RS is the bass playing a smooth, easy supportive role
Radiohead - you're already buying... good choice!

*Easy Single* - Vampire Weekend - Cousins

Medium (a little challenging):
AFI - Lots of upbeat riffs that have plenty of variation. You might need to spend some time in riff repeater before tackling Hard score attack.
Boston - It's the quirks that make these basslines tricky. Just awesome songs overall.
Cake - Aside from the country-tinged Stickshifts & Safetybelts, this whole pack is bass driven (as everyone else has noted!). it's not too hard but a ton of fun once you get in the groove.
Iron Maiden - you're already buying... good choice!
Maroon 5 - This pack was a surprise hit amongst bassist when it hit. All the basslines are fresh and engaging without being crippling on the fretting hand.
Muse - Just an overall great pack. The bass is so relevant in their music that each track offers some really fun riffs.
Pearl Jam - Slides, harmonics and chords are prevalent in this pack. These are groove-worthy songs with plenty of techniques to keep players interested.
Rise Against - Quick punk rock with a few walking parts and fills in almost every song
Sum 41 - A band whose bassist uses their instrument as a strong percussive backup AND a melody leader (look at the counter-melody played by the bass in the chorus of Fat Lip at the end)

*Medium Single* - Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' On?

Hard (but worth the WORK!!):
The Allman Brothers Band - just great bass playing... i don't know what else to say.
Pantera - you're already buying... good choice!
RUSH - Basslines that run all over the fretboard and across all strings. Rhythm driven arrangements that have plenty of flair.

*Hard Single* - Parliament - Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker)
*Hard Single* - Ram Jam - Black Betty
*Hard Single* - RUSH - Headlong Flight

*Singles (songs not available in packs)

Chugot21
06-04-2014, 02:23 PM
No one mentioned Smoke on the Water? So much fun, a bit challenging but I feel it keeps you moving before it jumps up to 100%, then there get to be some intense parts, but it's got some great walk. If it's the first song a guitarist learns I pity the bassist who tries to pick it up first :). Radiohead obviously is great especially if you like them, just one or two of em get a bit tricky, and you get to practice some slaps and pops in the one. Soul Man by the Blues Brothers is one of my favorite to practice picking on, pretty straightforward once you get it down. Maroon 5 I would recommend as well, they get a lot of crap for their overall style but their bassist is especially pretty awesome and they put on a great live show (got to see a private 2 hour concert, really entertaining). Misery at least definitely has some great riffs in it. The Who has some fun songs too, a few seem a bit mundane on bass but he always throws in some sort of craziness, Queen and Rush, also a good mix of challenging songs.

Also, if you are looking for some outside instruction beyond Rocksmith, I have been watching bass lessons from this gentlemen, he teaches really well and breaks it down so you really understand the concepts without getting too technical: http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/ . Plus hes British, I love their accents and the expressions they use (bollocks!), so there's that for the entertainment factor. I am already adding new techniques to my repertoire and I've only watched maybe 3-4 of them. And it's at no cost, if you sign up you get some extras like access to his backing tracks, he has a full paid Academy course but that just gives you more personal access I believe, but what he has for free is already days or even weeks worth of material to watch.

Natontalas
06-04-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm really surprised nobody mentioned From Noon Till Dawn which has one of the most melodic and fun basslines among DLC. Not really challenging once you spend some time with it in RR, but both of those verse riffs sound pretty cool and impressive even outside of the game. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj7rhiwtts0&feature=player_detailpage

Tipsly
06-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I went with Iron Maiden Song Pack(So far fun, but a challenge) Cake Pack(Fun) Pantera(Some songs I'm having lots of trouble with, but lots of fun) Radiohead(A little too easy, but love the songs) Alter Bridge-Blackbird(It's okay but I really like the song) Rush-Tom Sawyer(A challenge, but fun)

fjonk78
06-04-2014, 07:54 PM
*Easy Single* - Vampire Weekend - Cousins

Easy? I found this one very hard, but interesting. Very unusual, sounds quite African.
I agree with a lot of your choices, although perhaps not the difficulty rating!

KmVoss
06-06-2014, 07:12 AM
All of the stuff you're buying is great, that said there are a few missing!

Mind Eraser, No Chaser by crooked vultures
Dobie Gray
the disturbed pack.
My God is the Sun - Queens of the Stone Age
My Generation - the Who
Hysteria by Muse
Man who sold the world - David Bowie
Good Times
What's going on - Marvin Gaye
Judas Priest - Painkiller

jellisjenius
06-06-2014, 03:33 PM
All of the stuff you're buying is great, that said there are a few missing!

Mind Eraser, No Chaser by crooked vultures
Dobie Gray
the disturbed pack.
My God is the Sun - Queens of the Stone Age
My Generation - the Who
Hysteria by Muse
Man who sold the world - David Bowie
Good Times
What's going on - Marvin Gaye
Judas Priest - Painkiller

Awesome recommendations, I'm feeling those for sure.

It's funny - I bought RS14 to pick up where I left off from the original RS and keep learning the guitar. I don't own a bass but decided to try out the bass emulation, and now I find that I just enjoy bass more for the most part. Part of it is probably that I hate barre chords, but I also just really like playing the rhythm section in a good song. So many great ones to choose from as DLC so far. Aside from the above and some of the previous recommendations in the thread, I have a few others that I really enjoy:

Heart - Crazy On You (iconic, not too challenging but definitely engaging)
Cure - Lovesong (my favorite of the four available Cure songs...they have so many more great songs that I hope come as DLC)
Incubus - Anna Molly (I have mixed feelings about the song itself, but it has a really prominent and fun bass part)
Tame Impala - Elephant (challenging and really drives the song...need more TI as DLC for sure)
AFI - Girl's Not Grey (another really prominent bass part for the verses, emotional and powerful)
KISS - Detroit Rock City (high-energy part, great interplay with the guitar)

vito197666
06-10-2014, 11:52 PM
I always have fun playing the 311 pack on bass. All 3 songs are catchy and really get me into it.