PDA

View Full Version : Deflection shooting is possible! Newbies take heart

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 04:23 PM
I'm a semi-newbie, having flown quite a few missions and gotten to using realistic gunnery consistently. At any rate, I was pleased to take out an IL-2 the other day in my Bf-109, coming in from the left side, hitting him in the engine/fuselage. I'd never managed to take out an IL-2 that quickly! Admittedly, deflection shooting against slower, level flying bombers is one thing.

But I still can't manage deflection against fast and nimble fighters. My only tried an true tactic there is to get from 300 to 100 meters and let loose at the backside! Just as the manual says. If you think you're close enough, get closer. Plenty of my kills against enemy fighters must be at almost point blank range.

Matt

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 04:23 PM
I'm a semi-newbie, having flown quite a few missions and gotten to using realistic gunnery consistently. At any rate, I was pleased to take out an IL-2 the other day in my Bf-109, coming in from the left side, hitting him in the engine/fuselage. I'd never managed to take out an IL-2 that quickly! Admittedly, deflection shooting against slower, level flying bombers is one thing.

But I still can't manage deflection against fast and nimble fighters. My only tried an true tactic there is to get from 300 to 100 meters and let loose at the backside! Just as the manual says. If you think you're close enough, get closer. Plenty of my kills against enemy fighters must be at almost point blank range.

Matt

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 04:28 PM
i shoot when i got chance to hit, and quite often i score hits, accuracy is bout 20% in online, against fighters with 109 G-2. ill shoot at long distance snap shots, at any deflection, almost always when bogey passes front of me, my finger is ready, always, itching all the time http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 04:39 PM
i find if uve got cockpit on u probably cant deflection shoot, u haveto aim so far ahead that u can no longer see target (under nose)
this also means u can lose the target too /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 04:47 PM
heh when i set up quick battles ive actually never managed to fire down an enemy fighter in 1v1 dogfight.
Only time where when i managed to get an engine hit when aproaching front vs front.
Either than that only bombers fall to my fire :>

http://home.no.net/jlongva/Lomac/sigantur.jpg
My passion is to fly, nothing beats it, nothing can compare to it, free as a bird. Bird of prey.

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Photon__ wrote:
- heh when i set up quick battles ive actually never
- managed to fire down an enemy fighter in 1v1
- dogfight.

My advice: in QB try setting your AI opponents to "Rookie" level. That way you might get a good chance to line them up in your sights. As you get better, try more advanced level opponents. It made a difference for my gun realism learning curve.

Matt

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Every flight sim requires a different amount of lead. Imagine a pole sticking out of the nose of your target and plant your sights somehwere on that pole. Go to the replay at watch from the target's point of view, looking back at your shooting. See if your shots were ahead or behind. Rewind and compare this to your own cockpit view. You'll get an idea of exactly how much to lead the enemy next time.

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 09:09 PM
p1ngu666 wrote:

- i find if uve got cockpit on u probably cant
- deflection shoot, u haveto aim so far ahead that u
- can no longer see target (under nose)
- this also means u can lose the target too /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dont worry mate ! It becomes second nature after awhile /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I mostly fly bf 109 on GreaterGreen server wich is frequented by aces.

Now... the mark of aces is that they know the plane theyre
flying wich means that bounces are rare ( they always spot u)

Well.... if u fly a 109 u cant turn with allied planes for long, thus u have to draw the proper deflection at once.

Since they already spotted u they make the hardest turn possible, and so u have to do. Most of my deflectionshots
are made with the enemy far below my nose wich means I dont see him.

A standard mistake that newbies do is easing on the stick
to be able to see the enemy again and thereby lost the progress made.( I do it too sometimes ) A tip is to maneuver against the ground in the turn so the bandit becomes visible in the "front left" or right view this means u can track him easier. Making high and low yoyos makes your turnig abit better and u get more opportunities to spot your bandit at the same time u make it a bit harder for him to track u.

In the beginnig I had problems with letting the enemy dissapear under my nose, it was uncomfortable , but now there is no problem..... well maybe in the beginning of a session . Nowadays I more often hit than miss so its absolutely possible to get used to this thing, and a necessety if u want to fly the bf109 on GreaterGreen.

Another good tip is to quickrecord your efforts and watch the track later to see how your deflection works. And remember to watch the other players too. U might get ideas from them. ( I did, and do )

OOHH ..........and another thing many online 109 pilots neglect is to practise to turn hard and prolonged without flipping over ( stalling )(we've all been there). It is especially important to be able to turn well in a bad turning plane.

Since im a bit clumsy I get shot down quite often But with this way of flying I have also shot down or damaged or evade some of the really good pilots on GG.
Well... those i consider very good, and thats pure joy in a 109.( I still think its hard to fly ) /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

These are my opinions only. use what u like and forget the rest.

See u when u check your 6

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Enofinu wrote:
- i shoot when i got chance to hit, and quite often i
- score hits, accuracy is bout 20% in online, against
- fighters with 109 G-2. ill shoot at long distance
- snap shots, at any deflection, almost always when
- bogey passes front of me, my finger is ready,
- always, itching all the time http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You're BSing if you say you often take long distance shots and still manage 20% accuracy.

10-15% I would believe, and even then if your interpretation of "long distance" would be highly conservative.

http://sivusto.servepics.com/~lahnat/werre2s.jpg

prkl

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Maybe he meant he gets a couple bullets to hit 20% of the time. I don't anyone gets 20% hits with all their rounds. I take a shot whenever they look like they're within 250 meters, but I'm just hoping to get a critical hit on them and move in for the kill later.

XyZspineZyX
11-06-2003, 10:25 PM
In response to above posts....

That's right about the replay to see what you're shots are really doing, esp if you look at it from the enemy plane's vantage point.

And also about aiming well below the nose. I notice that I often don't aim nearly high enough. The drop-off due to gravity and the movement of the target often have my shots ending up well below the enemy.

Admittedly my best results are when I'm bouncing from the top and the angle of deflection is easy to reckon in rough straight line. I more or less fire right on top of the guy. Much, much harder when trying to lead my shots in a tight turn!