PDA

View Full Version : Improvements - integrate multiplayer and expansion packs with main story

westernny1
05-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Black flag was the best game yet. The story was great, and the open world expanded the game beyond any previous versions. The fact that your "story mode" is connected to the web at all times is great. From tracking the white whale to seeing where you rank among the world's top pirates. the ship mods and gear mods are great. The more rpg elements, the better. That being said, there are some improvements that need to be made to correct some of the series typical flaws. I always buy the special addition and I play every part of every game. I am not one of the statistics you see in game informer who don't even complete the first memory sequence. I am 31, and I enjoy an in depth game, please head my advice so other players like me can be rewarded.

Expansion packs. The expansion packs are terrible in my mind, and most people I talk with agree. Integrate the expansion packs into the story mode. That way the entire map, hideouts, ships, and weapons can be used in the expansion. If additional features are added, great. Creating a separate world that is hastily assembled feels like a real dud after playing in the grand scale of story mode. The expansions in AC3 and blackflag were terrible.

Multiplayer/online: Assassins creed online is unenjoyable. There is no depth, and it gets old fast. I would like to see the franchise take a turn in a totally different direction. Dark Souls did an excelent job of this, and it looks like Watch Dogs will too; I haven't played the latter. Integrate multiplayer with the main Story Mode and map. Have players invade another player's "world" while in campaign, but not on a mission. Maybe a ship appears in your world and is hunting you. You have 20 minutes to find each other and duke it out. Perhaps there are clans you can register with in story mode and being a member of a clan will suck you out of story mode when not into a mission to help another player. Perhaps clans have assassin hideouts to protect or Abstergo hideouts to protect and you must fend off invaders. Perhaps another player invades your world and is trying to assassinate you in between missions. A note pops up on the screen saying you have been invaded by an enemy assassin. These elements will help increase the replayability of the game.

Replayability - integrating multiplayer in the manner of Dark Souls increases the replayability of the game. Young gamers today don't appreciate "story mode," because they don't even give it a chance. That article in Game Informer about how few people actually play more than 10 minutes of story mode of main titles was startling. This Call of Duty generation needs to appreciate well put together stories like AC. This integration will better the opportunity for them to appreciate it. Many unlocks don't happen til close to the end of the game. If various multiplayer missions and invasions are possible, with global clan rankings, then there is motivation to keep playing the story, and even more motivation to get 100% sync on all memories. I don't want to play the expansions packs when they are put together in a less grand manner than the campaign. Integrate online and expansion packs with the main story, combining story mode and multiplayer mode into one grand experience.

Difficulty - this is my last comment. I feel that AC Revelation, AC3, and AC Black Flag were too easy. The climbing and fighting sequences used to require some skill. With the past 3 titles, a 6 year old could do it. The mechanics of the game are losing depth, which means people will lose interest. In Freedom Cry, the expansion, there is a point where the player needs to save slaves on a ship. Put a time limit in there. Perhaps stream lining the climbing mechanics was a good thing. Make the fighting a little more challenging, and some of the missions as well. I think a game is more rewarding when you feel you made a true accomplishment. If you offer great prizes for 100% sync, and integrate online with the main story, then players will be forced to get 100% sync in missions in order to obtain an edge over other players in multiplayer. Perhaps better weapons for taking over an opponent's hide out, better upgrades for ships or personal weapons and armor, faster running speed, better weapon counter moves, etc.. I believe that this integration needs to happen for the AC franchise to be consistent with sales. Don't be like every other large title out there that seems to put minimal effort into story mode, and don't copy the same model, separating story mode from multiplayer. Combine the two and innovate, otherwise you may not be around 5 years from now. Or, if you are around, you will be a boutique title.

Markaccus
05-29-2014, 08:39 AM
Multiplayer/online: Assassins creed online is unenjoyable. There is no depth, and it gets old fast. I would like to see the franchise take a turn in a totally different direction. Dark Souls did an excelent job of this, and it looks like Watch Dogs will too; I haven't played the latter. Integrate multiplayer with the main Story Mode and map. Have players invade another player's "world" while in campaign, but not on a mission. Maybe a ship appears in your world and is hunting you. You have 20 minutes to find each other and duke it out. Perhaps there are clans you can register with in story mode and being a member of a clan will suck you out of story mode when not into a mission to help another player. Perhaps clans have assassin hideouts to protect or Abstergo hideouts to protect and you must fend off invaders. Perhaps another player invades your world and is trying to assassinate you in between missions. A note pops up on the screen saying you have been invaded by an enemy assassin. These elements will help increase the replayability of the game.

Ok, i see where you are going with this, but personally i would get annoyed while, between missions and side quests (example i am heading somewhere to collect stuff) and suddenly someone attacks me and delays me. IF THIS WERE TO WORK,..... Have the option to allow/disallow game invasion, then, maybe late into a single player game, or on another play through, you can chose to add the extra dimension of inter game attacks. I have never played online in any AC title, it does not really appeal to me. I went off games like COD because i don't have the time to become insanely good at them, where as you can tell others must have nothing else to do and kill you 10 times a minute :D . I'd be scared that it will spoil AC games alltogether for me!

westernny1
05-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Ok, i see where you are going with this, but personally i would get annoyed while, between missions and side quests (example i am heading somewhere to collect stuff) and suddenly someone attacks me and delays me. IF THIS WERE TO WORK,..... Have the option to allow/disallow game invasion, then, maybe late into a single player game, or on another play through, you can chose to add the extra dimension of inter game attacks. I have never played online in any AC title, it does not really appeal to me. I went off games like COD because i don't have the time to become insanely good at them, where as you can tell others must have nothing else to do and kill you 10 times a minute :D . I'd be scared that it will spoil AC games alltogether for me!

I think there are ways you can prevent yourself from being invaded. I would prefer this method to be the option for multiplayer though. It would allow so much more to be done. Outside of invasion, there can be multiplayer missions. Instead of a single assassination mission, maybe you need to work together with a team co-op style against the computer on a "standard type" assassin mission. I think the online AC format right now is pretty bad, that's why I wrote this. After playing Dark Souls, I felt like that was a unique multiplayer experience woven into the main story, if you wanted it to happen.

I agree, you should have the option to disallow invasion. But, co-op is a great idea. Missions vs the computer. You enter a que that might take 2 minutes to fill, and 4 or 5 assassins head off on some mission. Or, if you want, you can enter some mission in the middle of the ocean, and you and two other players online have a ship battle against other online players or the computer. Perhaps you have to actually protect your trade routes. There are so many options for co-op and multiplayer pvp that doesn't require invasion that can be integrated into the main story. The expansion packs lack a little punch as well. That's the other main issue. If they integrate them into the main world and story, that would be best. The co-op style multiplayer I am thinking of would allow playability to be extended. You don't have to quit right when the main story ends. There is little motivation or satisfaction to keep playing, and that should not have been the case with the grand world created in Black Flag. There was just too much to enjoy and appreciate, and not enough things to do once the game ended.

Markaccus
05-29-2014, 03:55 PM
I think there are ways you can prevent yourself from being invaded. I would prefer this method to be the option for multiplayer though. It would allow so much more to be done. Outside of invasion, there can be multiplayer missions. Instead of a single assassination mission, maybe you need to work together with a team co-op style against the computer on a "standard type" assassin mission. I think the online AC format right now is pretty bad, that's why I wrote this. After playing Dark Souls, I felt like that was a unique multiplayer experience woven into the main story, if you wanted it to happen.

I agree, you should have the option to disallow invasion. But, co-op is a great idea. Missions vs the computer. You enter a que that might take 2 minutes to fill, and 4 or 5 assassins head off on some mission. Or, if you want, you can enter some mission in the middle of the ocean, and you and two other players online have a ship battle against other online players or the computer. Perhaps you have to actually protect your trade routes. There are so many options for co-op and multiplayer pvp that doesn't require invasion that can be integrated into the main story. The expansion packs lack a little punch as well. That's the other main issue. If they integrate them into the main world and story, that would be best. The co-op style multiplayer I am thinking of would allow playability to be extended. You don't have to quit right when the main story ends. There is little motivation or satisfaction to keep playing, and that should not have been the case with the grand world created in Black Flag. There was just too much to enjoy and appreciate, and not enough things to do once the game ended.

That would work, i think. In this case it's up to players whether or not they take part in multiplayer co-op missions and battles. That way, someone like me who is not fussed about MP wont be penalised for not playing MP, but if i did choose to play, there would be a small reward of loot or something, maybe speeding up upgrades et.c, but not so much as to spoil the single player experience.