PDA

View Full Version : How would you rank the AC titles?

liamMCLEOD
05-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Heres my personal list:

Assassins Creed: Brotherhood- (Introduced multiplayer and top knotch fighting mechanics with great storyline)
Assassins Creed II- (This i personally think had the most sound and interesting/engaging storylines of all assassins creed games)
Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag- (One of the funnest assassins to play as aswell as a great environment and good storyline)
Assassins Creed: Revelations- (An extension of ezio's story aswel as a connection between him and original legendary assassin mentor altair, always welcome)
Assassins Creed- (very good game for its time however has not aged well and the combat is very meh)
Assassins Creed III- (Did not enjoy this game nearly as much as the others, failed in storyline, fighting mechanics, and the assassin was a total *****, thank god AC:IV was good)

So do you agree? and if not what would you change and give me your reasons, thanks for reading!

Aphex_Tim
05-27-2014, 01:39 PM
For me:

AC4
AC2
AC1
AC3
AC:R

AC:B

killzab
05-27-2014, 02:01 PM
IMO :

- AC4 : most polished game, most fun, loveable main char, incredible setting, average modern day

- AC2 : extremely complete game, lengthy with quality content, excellent past and modern parts, Ezio was cool, beautiful setting but not "fun at all times" like ACIV

-AC3 : like good wine, it gets better with time, and I learned to appreciate its qualities despite its faults, incredible OST BTW

- ACR : love the setting, old and wise Ezio was nice, liked the Altair parts a lot, best ending in the series, too short though and horrible modern day part

-ACB : didn't like the setting too much, story was a little pointless IMO, excellent modern day

- AC1 : most tedious game to play now, in particular when compared to its sequels, it lacks too many convenient gameplay mechanics

oliacr
05-27-2014, 02:11 PM
ACR
Every other game.

marvelfannumber
05-27-2014, 02:38 PM
This be muah list, I am too lazy to type any opinions other than that AC1 is the worst thing ever. (Revelations is not on the list because I never played it).

-AC2

-ACB

-AC4

-AC3

-AC1

Megas_Doux
05-27-2014, 02:49 PM
1 AC IV: Best environment and sandbox world so far, decent story, great mission design, tons of side content, immersive soundtrack and average modern gameplay. On the other hand the combat was kinda meh and NO platforming levels :(

2 AC I: My favorite setting, great story, good combat, great mission design, very good soundtrack .To bad that, for a sandbox, its side content is NON existent.

3 AC III My favourite combat, wonderful grey story, good modern despite the fact it did not live up to the expectations, decent side content. Bad mission design, too many quick time events instead of assassinations, no background music during freeroam. and aside from a couple of them, mediocre platforming levels.

4 AC II Beautiful locations, engaging story, despite being too cliche, best soundtrack, best platforming levels, the mysterious glyphs, good side content. Most boring and monotonous combat in the series, one sided antagonists, no replaying memories :(

5 ACR Best city in the series, gorgeous soundtrack, good story, decent platforming levels, decent combat. Mediocre side content, almost zero assassinations, pretty short, it resolved ACBīs cliffhanger through a boring barely advertised DLC that almost no one cared about.

6 ACB Pretty good side content, good platforming levels, decent soundtrack pretty good modern. Short game, awful, one sided and cartoonish story full of: awful, one sided and cartoonish antagonists, Cesare Borgia- Yes! he is THAT bad in the wrong sense of the word, the DULLEST main location in the series to me, uber easy combat and although not bad, its soundtrack is the least memorable so far.

Will_Lucky
05-27-2014, 03:09 PM
ACR - My favourite location and story. Soundtrack was absolutely gorgeous. I felt the core gameplay mechanics were at there most refined.
AC2 - Great story, a great progression from AC1 still not really refined enough.
AC4 - Fantastic open world and settings, felt the story lacked somewhat though. Great dialogue did somewhat make up for that.
AC3 - Although I like Connor, I felt the story really lacked in a few departments. Some characters like Haythem were fantastic while others like Charles Lee seemed to throw history out of the window.
AC1 - Not much to say here, I enjoyed the concept and the idea of the story. But it was simply that, a concept.

ACB - I consider this one a cash in given they cut the original ending of AC2 to create this. Story is quite short in comparison to other outings. The settings isn't all that different from what we had seen and was more of the same only larger. Oh and I can't forgive what they did to Cesare Borgia.

DumbGamerTag94
05-27-2014, 03:20 PM
AC3- (I know, I know don't shoot me) For me by far the most fun in a true AC game. Action packed from beginning to end, from assassinating your first target at the opera and the Braddock expedition, to the battle of bunker hill, Chesapeake Bay, and the final battle in the burning ship with Charles Lee. AC3 is a pulse pounding thrill ride that drops you straight into the action packed awesomeness of the American Revolution(even if at times it seemed shoehorned or unreasonable to be there it was still insanely fun all nitpicking at storytelling set aside). Packed with fun side activities(Homestead Missions, Hunting Society missions, Fronteirsmen quests, City Liberation Missions, Forts, Naval, Trinket missions(one of my favorites), exploring the tunnels and completing challenges with Masonic machines to unlock doors there, etc). The story is by far the deepest and least Templars=bad Assassins=good black and white of the series which really makes for a gripping story. Unfortunately it was a little too much story for one game, or at least for the time they had to make it, and so things got cut out and stuff left unexplained, which at time creates plot holes and some confusion. However to me it isn't that distracting and overall the game is still a great experience. MD in this game though is by far the worst because of its length and stupid missions and cutscenes, I would rather just get back in the animus.

AC4 Black Flag- Excellent game. Brought Naval to a whole new level of excitement and fun. Brought back all the best side missions of AC3 and added some more of its own(buried treasure, diving shipwrecks, etc). Charismatic and likable protagonist. However the game is more focused on Pirates than Assassins(which wasn't really a bad thing) and I do feel it is still an AC story but it took a back seat. It felt like a seperate Pirate IP merging with Assassins Creed to me like a one off deal like the Simpsons appearing in an episode of family Guy. It felt like a gimmick like that to me. So not really a True AC game for me. Though still amazing. And at times the missions could get repetitive and boring(lots and lots of tailing missions). The most irrelevant MD of the series. I honestly didn't even care about it i just wanted to get back to Edward and MD kept stopping me and forcing me to do things first.

AC2- Still one of my favorites. Though I feel many overrate it and hold it as the greatest thing ever without realizing its faults. It had a lengthy story and beautiful setting, but character models were horrible and in replays it is very distracting how crappy they are. The story is long but at times it tend to dragggggg out for a longgggg time(like the parts before you actually are trained by Mario, or at the ending when you have to go get all codex pages before the last mission unlocks). Also it is the most Cleche black and white story of all the series. All Rodrigo needed was a maniacal laugh, a cat, and curl his mustache to be a cartoon villan. All the Templars follow this model. It's a story plucked from children's TV shows or spider man not very creative or original in that department. And the good old. You killed my family-now prepare to die! Mentality of Ezio is Cleche again. But good side activities like tombs. And good handling of MD. But overall it's a pretty good experience and still makes the cut on my top 3(unless Unity is awesome?!)

ACB- continues AC2s story directly, great locations, most indoor stuff of the series. However there is only like 4 or 5 targets and the story is rather short and the same cartoony B&W concept as AC2. With action at the beginning and end, but dragging out in the middle. IMO the best handling of MD in the series for the ability to make how much of it you interact in optional. Only interrupting the historic story and the beginning and end. So overall a decent game and gets mixed reviews for me.

ACR- didn't really care much for it. Short story that I didn't get that in to. They throw in some action to keep things exciting. The naval yard riot, Cappadoccia, party, exploding lighthouse and Greek fire. However some of it is just action for actions sake and it's just way over the top. (Parachute hang glinding and carriage racing). Constantinople was nice. But the Templars were uninteresting and few in number. And don't get me started in den defense and recruit missions. Aweful handling of MD. Overall an underwhelming game for me that deserves a place near the bottom I the list for the fact that it's only relevant because of a good story that finished both Ezio and AltaÔrs storylines.

AC1- the game that got me into the series when it came out. Great story but tends to draggggg out in replays because of the lack of action to spice things up. Painfully repetitive investigations. Dull voice work that isn't even Arabic accented for some unexplained reason. Good MD. Stupid side activities like collecting flags for no reason or gain. But it was the first and great for what it was at its time. I still love it even though it has become obsolete and has been outshone by the rest of the series. Still a great game

jayjay275
05-27-2014, 03:37 PM
ac2
ac4
ac3
acb
acr
ac1

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-27-2014, 03:54 PM
AC III: Sub-par mission design, great protagonist, best story, great world.
AC I: Great mission design, great protagonist, best story, awesome world.
ACB: Good mission design, good protagonist, good story, good world.
AC IV: Great mission design, good protagonist, good story, beautiful world.
AC II: Good mission design, great protagonist, great story, beautiful world.
ACR: Good mission design, good protagonist, good story, good world.

Kirokill
05-27-2014, 04:06 PM
1- AC: Revelations: Good city, good environmental music, grown up Ezio, he's different. Story was crazy and had major action. It was good in stealth too, the Y/Triangle for ranged weapon introduction was good too! And best of all, the city and CROWDED MARKETS.

2- AC IV: Black Flag: The sea is so beautiful! The ship various customization and outfits for the protagonist is awesome! How Edward changed was inspiring. Good sandbox game I play now when bored even when fully synced. And the tailing missions were overused is many said.

3- AC: The change in Altair personality from selfish to caring for the order. But he still was brutal, the mission concept in the freedom of approach, the realistic crowd. Some templars horrifying ways. The cities. Filters were annoying that did a major drawback. However some things that got mastered better than the later games, are horses. Which were realistic in my opinion. And one of the best was the large building scale and the Masyaf castle, very nice.

4- AC III: The story was good in terms of feeling. But it had many: I'll do this myself from Connor. The small work between father and son and telling their cause was lovely. The homestead had realistic actions of family, Achillies, I like that guy. The game had some fun moments too. However the stealth mechanic was poor. The social stealth was also poor which is the same case for AC4, as you could even be very easily detected.

5- AC: Brotherhood: We all know how Cesar was. I didn't like Ezio at that time, had much lust. It had many side activities which is the big part of it. But the city and the parkour felt... Poor. The story wasn't too good but the mission design like kidnapping, etc. Was a good change.

I didn't play AC2, yet.

king-hailz
05-27-2014, 04:10 PM
1) AC2 Best Storyline, Best Assassin, Best Gameplay Progression... Best Music... Best GAME!!
2) ACR Beautiful City, Amazing Storyline, EPIC end to Altair and Ezio!!
3) AC4 Great Gameplay, I love naval, Strongest side characters..
4) ACB Best Combat, Although short great story... great modern day...
5) AC1 The one that started it all... nothing more to say...
6) AC3 mmmmm.... its not a bad game but compared to the others it is not as good... the stopry was put together boringly... the worst gameplay... bad storyline in modern day... but i do still enjoy it... because it is AC!!!

Sushiglutton
05-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Changes all the time, but today it's:

AC4 > AC:B > AC2 > AC1 > AC:R > AC3

dxsxhxcx
05-27-2014, 04:23 PM
AC2~AC1
AC4 (gameplay-wise)
ACR

ACB
AC3

GunnerGalactico
05-27-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm gonna be very unbiased about my list. I rank it in terms of story, ambience and gameplay

AC2
AC3
AC4
AC1
ACR
ACB

DumbGamerTag94
05-27-2014, 04:54 PM
it seems to me like many peoples top three is made up of either one or more of AC2 AC4 and AC3. With peoples opinions of ACR ACB and AC3 tending to be either a love it or hate it kind of thing with them tending to either be at or near the top, or at or near the bottom. Strange....especially in AC3s case which tends to be fairly popular in peoples top 3.

Shahkulu101
05-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Titles I enjoyed the most - my basis for best game:
>ACIV
>ACB
>AC2
>ACR
>ACIII
>ACI

BATISTABUS
05-27-2014, 09:40 PM
AC1: I adore almost everything about this game. This game changed everything. It had an incredible story, fantastic character growth of Altair, amazing villains, groundbreaking graphics and animations (which were not surpassed in AC until III), unbelievable traversal mechanics, a killer soundtrack, and open-ended mission design. The game is elegant and has very few extraneous features. The modern portion is eerie, and has a lot of little details. This is one of the most underrated games ever, and I really wish it were more appreciated. People criticize it for boring/repetitive mission design, but I just love the mechanics so much that it doesn't even bother me.

AC4: Gameplay wise, this felt like the only true "step up" since the first game. The open world is incredible, and the seamlessness from ground to naval to island has to be groundbreaking. While the story isn't as grand as some of the other games, the side characters truly stand out. Stealth received a lot of much-needed attention in this game, and it is actually viable and fun. The Caribbean is gorgeous, and side-activities are rewarding and FUN. Fresh and interesting take on the modern aspect. I might even consider AC4 to be a better game than AC1 overall, so these two games could be easily interchangeable on my list.

AC3: While ACIII is almost certainly the least polished game in the series with a lot of different issues, the characters really make this game shine. Connor is my favorite Assassin, and everything about him is compelling. He has a true struggle, and he has plenty of complex relationships. Achilles and Haytham stand out particularly, while the rest of the Templars can proudly stand among those of AC1. The conflict of the past mirrors Desmond's conflict in the present for once, which really adds to the narrative experience. Although naval was very limited in this game, it was surprisingly well done and leaves me wishing there was a bit more. Animations during gameplay and cutscenes alike are all incredible.

ACR: This is the game that really made me appreciate Ezio. Although he definitely has the "Most Interesting Man in the Wold" vibe going on, he does have struggles and failures. He doesn't have all the answers for once. Performance capture and cinematic music certainly stepped up significantly in this game, and we saw a satisfying end to both Assassins. While I don't love Constantinople as much as everyone else seems to, there are moments where the beauty certainly shines. The mixed soundtrack between Balfe and Kyd is odd at times, the tracks stand tall on their own. Embers compliments the game beautifully.

ACB: The ONLY reason I put this game above AC2 is because of the multiplayer. I played ACB multiplayer to death. It was so fresh and new and unique...my nostalgia for this mode is out of control. The characters, graphics, and music were all perfect, and nothing can compare to manhunt with a group of your friends. I really wish the game was still being played, perhaps even competitively. There were certainly some balance issues, but the good far outweighed the bad. I never quite felt this with any of the sequel multiplayers. The singleplayer was good, but somewhat unsatisfying as an Assassin's Creed game. At the time that I played it, I considered this my favorite game, but after a replay, my mind has changed significantly. The villains in this game are unforgivably uninteresting, and I can't even believe they are meant to fit into the AC universe. Templar Lairs are very fun, and because combat is so freaking easy, you do feel like an invincible badass. Ezio is the king of the world in this game, and there was a huge wasted opportunity on Cesare's end. The side characters were dumbed down in both the modern and historic settings, and all come off as kind of annoying. The game had great atmosphere, and a cool, brooding soundtrack.

AC2: While many consider this game the best in the series by far, I just don't get it. The game actually feels like a big step back from AC1 in many departments - graphically, freedom-wise, difficulty, and ESPECIALLY story-wise. Side characters and villains are particularly forgettable, and even Ezio isn't particularly compelling. The cities in this game are particularly beautiful, and the music makes everything incredibly romanticized. I feel these two factors - the music and the setting - are what really set the game apart for the average gamer. While they are amazing, there is much more that I look for in an AC game, and I don't feel like AC2 delivers. Conspiracies are fun, and there is a nice amount of side-content. Tombs are amazing. I do love this game, but I feel like it is extremely overrated.

ACL: I haven't finished it yet. I'm having a hard time getting myself to pick it back up.

SixKeys
05-27-2014, 09:43 PM
ACB - Took everything great from AC2 and made it better. All content feels connected and driving towards a common goal, whereas in the other games some content feels frivolous and disconnected from the whole. The way assassin recruits are handled in this game feels best to me. I don't like that later games forced certain personalities on them and gave them special missions. I prefer coming up with my own stories for my recruits. Borgia towers were a great introduction, just wish you could replay them. Love the modern day, love the historical stuff, love the multiplayer, love the music.

AC1 - Still has the best atmosphere by far. The dialogue is unparalleled, combat is (somewhat) challenging and engaging, modern day is intriguing and everything from the characters to the setting feels much more ponderous and mature than the later games.

AC2 - Has the best merging of tutorials with story. The story is sprawling and feels like an ever-expanding, grand adventure with memorable characters. Unlike AC1, AC2's graphics were outdated already at release, which drags the experience down somewhat with each passing year. The combat is a step down from AC1 and not as fun as ACB.

AC4 - Beautiful open world that offers a lot more freedom than some of its predecessors. The characters feel a bit underdeveloped apart from Edward and Mary Read. Shipboarding remains fun no matter how many times I do it and there's a great wealth of varying side content to keep you entertained for hours. The new take on modern day felt like a breath of fresh air, apart from the ongoing Juno nonsense.

ACR - The lack of content is what keeps me from enjoying this game. Constantinople is a beautiful city with not much to do in it. Lots of glitches, the game feels unfinished. The best content was recycled and reskinned from AC2 and ACB. The soundtrack is not as good as the previously mentioned games, but still solid enough. Too much emphasis on action moments, like using Greek fire, blowing up Cappadocia and embarrassing BS like the parachute carriage chase and mid-air fistfight. Characters were all boring as hell, apart from Ezio. Desmond Journey was visually daring, but a bad gameplay decision. The Lost Archive was some BS. The ending was nice, though. Basically, a beautiful game ruined by bad writing and some terrible dev decisions.

AC3 - This game just makes me angry. Every single time I play it, I run into bugs and glitches, some of them game-breaking. The cities are ugly and boring. The Frontier is pretty but boring. Haytham is cool, but his son is boring. The soundtrack is boring. The parkour is broken. AI is broken. Everything is either boring or broken. Modern day starts off boring, begins to get interesting, and is then broken with the huge letdown that is Daniel Cross and Warren Vidic. The modern day ending is garbage. The only good things I can say about this game is that the animations are fantastic, treerunning is cool, Haytham is a good character and it introduced naval which was then improved in AC4. Oh, and a couple of tracks on the soundtrack are good.

SeanC_1967
05-27-2014, 09:59 PM
AC4 - Favourite protagonist so far, beautiful open world with seamless travel. Enjoyable enough story with some great characters and fun combat. Plus the updated naval combat, something I didn't like in AC3 but it's one of my favourite features in this game.

AC2 - Ezio was such a a great hero, loved his origin story (in a sense). The setting was perfect and customization was top notch. Tough choice between this and AC4.

AC1 - Obviously the least polished of all the games but at the time it was unbelievable. A totally different type of game than I had ever played, the combat and free running/climbing was brilliant.

ACR - Not a lot of these two games have stuck with me, seeing as it was still Ezio. I put this over ACB because it was in a different country.

ACB - Like above, don't remember all that much.

AC3 - Now, this is a weird one. It's probably a better game than the three above this, but I have it last because of how disappointed I was. I was expecting something more, the game just didn't deliver for me. The combat was good, loved the tomahawk and the inclusion of a bow (even though it wasn't very good). Also, Connor's outfit was the best yet. But, Connor himself just didn't do anything for me. Found him boring, constantly moaning and just annoying at times. The main cities were too dull as well. I was open to the change from huge cities with massive buildings and towers but it didn't work in this game. The naval combat was frustrating as well, detested having to do those parts but love them in AC4.

thewhitestig
05-27-2014, 10:09 PM
1. AC II
2. IV Black Flag
3. AC 1
3. Brotherhood
4. Revelations
5. AC III

Assassin_M
05-27-2014, 11:03 PM
ACR: Good mission design, good protagonist, good story, best world.
ACB: Good mission design, boring protagonist, worst story, bland world.
AC II: Good mission design, worst protagonist, average story, beautiful world.

^ in that order

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-27-2014, 11:24 PM

^ in that order

Like the way you did it, so I'll use that for mine as well in this order :p

ACB: Good mission design, good protagonist, good story, good world.
AC II: Good mission design, great protagonist, great story, beautiful world.
ACR: Good mission design, good protagonist, good story, good world.

LieutenantRex
05-28-2014, 12:49 AM
If I see one more person put ACB last, I'm gonna rage.

1. ACB - Short story, but satisfying. Best modern-day missions. Exemplary side-missions. Great all around game.

2. AC3 - I don't even know why, but this game took up so much of my life, almost as much as Brotherhood. I don't even know why! I went through periods of hate and love for this game >.>

3. AC1 - Challenging and diverse core combat mechanics. Alright story. Has my favourite Assassin in it (ALTAIR).

4. ACBF - Fun combat and vast world at first, but becomes a bit bland after a while. Not good replayability imo.

5. AC2 - Excellent story. Good modern day.

6. AC: Bloodlines - Has my favourite assassin in it, and introduced me to the AC series.

7. ACR - Hated this game at first. Too boring. I didn't like Constantinople. Now I like it because it's the only game of the Ezio trilogy that I still have.

Megas_Doux
05-28-2014, 01:27 AM
If I see one more person put ACB last, I'm gonna rage.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e3/DoRightCast.JPG

I swear to Horus that picture is not the actual "rescue Pantasilea" Mission in ACB....

ACB is my least favorite in the series. I find Rome, despite its grandeur landmarks, to be a very dull, bland and monotous city, a lackluster version of AC2ī cities.
Then we have its linear, predictable and cartoonish story full of; linear, predictable and cartoonish antagonists. I have seen better of that in any given The Rocky and Bullwinkle episode....... We even have a childish antagonist with a moustache.... What am I?? a ten year old kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were no susprises or plot twists to be found, the worst templar crew in the series. Cesare Borgia could have been a great templar, he was a very talented general that excelled in both combat and strategy, instead it was reduced this time to a spoiled little brat yealing "GUAAAARDS" all the time.

Ok! I know that combat is easy in this franchise, but with ACB Ubisoft crossed the line. I mean, I have tried to literally die and ended up failing to, because the stupid guards either hit thin air with their halberds, or when I am to the point of desynch, they just stop attacking. again

The only things I really enjoy are Da vinciīs missions, assassin contracts and some of the modern stuff, Heck even the soundtrack is sub par in comparison to the rest of the series.

And, as if all of that was not enough, we also got the utterly embarrassing warcry of "VITTORIA AGLI ASSASSINI!!!!!!! Good job Ezio and Co!!!!!

Geez.

I-Like-Pie45
05-28-2014, 01:39 AM

^ in that order

shots have been fired

Assassin_M
05-28-2014, 01:41 AM
shots have been fired
but....but...I said beautiful world

I-Like-Pie45
05-28-2014, 01:50 AM
Well, damn you and your lemonade, M!

DumbGamerTag94
05-28-2014, 04:21 AM
Well, damn you and your lemonade, M!

What's it matter to you Pie? With your new Gimmick your only game on your list should be AC3! All other games can go to hell. Cuz us Americans always put 'Murica first and everything else can kiss our ***!!!!! YeeeeeeHawwwww!!!!!! USA USA USA

I-Like-Pie45
05-28-2014, 04:45 AM
What's it matter to you Pie? With your new Gimmick your only game on your list should be AC3! All other games can go to hell. Cuz us Americans always put 'Murica first and everything else can kiss our ***!!!!! YeeeeeeHawwwww!!!!!! USA USA USA

Connor is an anti-American liberal leftist pansy and his father is a commie agent, and Desmond a spoiled entitled Gen Xer

they ruined the game for me, along with this Assassin V Templar nonsense! This should've been a game about the greatness and right of America, not Assassins! The Americans should've been straightcut heroes, not this moral grey nonsense! This is slander against God Washington

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-28-2014, 04:50 AM
Connor is an anti-American liberal leftist pansy and his father is a commie agent, and Desmond a spoiled entitled Gen Xer

they ruined the game for me, along with this Assassin V Templar nonsense! This should've been a game about the greatness and right of America, not Assassins! The Americans should've been straightcut heroes, not this moral grey nonsense! This is slander against God Washington

Man, can you scare someone even over the internet O_O;;;

GunnerGalactico
05-28-2014, 08:13 AM

^ in that order

Ouch! :p

You gonna hurt a lot of peoples' feelings.. lol

RinoTheBouncer
05-28-2014, 09:37 AM
ACII: Perfect protagonist, story, length, cutscenes and surprises
ACR: The most emotional and beautiful directed, outstanding setting, touching characters and conclusion
ACB: Shocking ending, like ACII, and a wonderful direct continuation
ACIII: Amazing modern day missions, great historical protagonist
ACI: Amazing story and a thrilling concept yet boring missions
ACIV: Amazing, long-lasting gameplay and protagonist, yet pointless and non-existent story and reductive modern day missions.
AC:L: It had a promising concept but it will always feel like a half-a**ed handheld game.

Locopells
05-28-2014, 09:54 AM
There were no susprises or plot twists to be found, the worst templar crew in the series. Cesare Borgia could have been a great templar, he was a very talented general that excelled in both combat and strategy, instead it was reduced this time to a spoiled little brat yealing "GUAAAARDS" all the time.

Have to say, I never got why, despite his arrogance, the fact he not stupid enough to take on Ezio alone, when he doesn't have to, diminishes either his own combat ability (not the greatest boss fight though, I get that, I'm just saying) or more particularly his ability as a general (which is very obvious in both the Villa and Paz Romana sieges).

I'm not saying he's a brilliant antagonist, but the line about a spoilt brat should ''Guards! all the time is so easy to fling out and gets so overused...

Farlander1991
05-28-2014, 09:59 AM
1. ACIV: A compilation of everything the best AC series has to offer, with a touch of its own cool things. The most well-crafted story in the series (not the most deep or ambiguous, but still the most well-crafted). Beautiful locations and music. And the story is also beautiful. The moment when Edward and Anne sit under the tree? Awesome.
2. AC1: Even though I can't bear to replay it anymore (at least for the moment), AC1 will always be special. One of the biggest reasons being its hud-less design principles. This may sound like 'this one little thing', but it's a GREAT significance. Also, the deep philosophical story. Also the best combat system in the series (which sadly went the wrong way regarding how to fix its existing flaws)
3. ACR: It's got its flaws. Like too over-saturated for its own good bomb-crafting system (a lot of redundancies). Some VERY weird missions. But I think it's the best game of Ezio's trilogy, one big reason being the story it tells. And the music is wonderful, it's the first AC game where I could really listen to the whole soundtrack outside the game. Before ACR I couldn't, so much of AC music was so specific to the situations that it was boring outside of the game, but not ACR.
4. AC2: Yes, I critique it a lot. For the lack of moral ambiguity. For a broken pace after the middle of the game. For characters that disappear into nowhere for no good reason. But it's still a great game, and Ezio's speech at the Bonfire is one of my most favourite moments in the whole series.
5. AC3: AC3. Moments of 'OMFG THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!!' interchanged with 'WTH is that?!'. It's a great game, but it's also oh so incoherent. It's got some really great missions, but at the same time some really bad missions (and some great ones that are pulled down by one or two design choices). It's got some awesome side content, but also some of the worst side-content (and the side-content doesn't always gel well with the narrative). It's got a great story and characters, bogged down with needless historical references (do we even see Hancock beyond the 3 seconds we're introduced to him?) and the desire to showcase history rather than be in it. It's got the best modern day part in the whole series that's also the most disappointing one (due to all lost possible potential). But I won't deny that I have enjoyed my time with it a lot.
6. ACB: While it has introduced awesome AC multiplayer... and from an open-world creation stand-point, it's got the most coherent connection between narrative, mechanics and side-content in the series... it doesn't do anything with Ezio's character, somehow managed to be even less ambiguous than AC2, has REALLY turned up the overpowered arsenal and moves problems up to 11, and while the Brotherhood mechanic feels awesome, looking back at it I can't help but think that it was more of a problem rather than a solution (one reason being it's THE dominant strategy of the whole game, which is most likely the reason for introduction of the restriction system). It's got its moments, though, and it's still a great game.

EDIT:
I'm not saying he's a brilliant antagonist, but the line about a spoilt brat should ''Guards! all the time is so easy to fling out and gets so overused...

I think that particular part has to do with expectations set by promotional material (siege of monteriggioni shown at E3 including). Cesare was painted as this person who thinks of Ezio as the only adversary that is most (but still not) equal to him, and how there's only one way it will end if Ezio enters HIS (i.e. Cesare's) city, that it painted a picture of a person who, while might call for guards, wouldn't run away (i.e., E3 CGI trailer).

Locopells
05-28-2014, 10:05 AM
When does he run away?

Farlander1991
05-28-2014, 10:11 AM
When does he run away?

Every time except the last boss battle, really.
Battle on the fields in Spain? Runs away.
Battle in Rome with all the Assassins? Stands behind closed gate to just taunt, while the guards do all the work.
Sees Ezio in the Castello? Runs away (of course, here he wants get to the Apple faster, so kinda justified).
Also, every instance inbetween the Castello meeting at the battle at the Roma gates - runs away while leaving others to fight (there are like two or three missions as the year passes or smth like that).

Locopells
05-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Batteflields of Spain I'll give ya, I'd forgotten that (although give he in the middle of fighting half of Spain at the time, finding a better place to fight Ezio as well as regain breath and stamina is forgiveable, IMO).

The Rome battle - well he should have taken part, I'll agree, but given there's all the main characters, plus the recruits to fight - I'd call for backup myself...

In the Castello, as you say, he leaves to find the Apple - and as with the other battles between then and the one at the gates, he's been poisoned, so not exactly in best fighting condition...

Farlander1991
05-28-2014, 10:30 AM
The Rome battle - well he should have taken part, I'll agree, but given there's all the main characters, plus the recruits to fight - I'll call for backup myself...

Again, it's not about calling back-up, it's about standing behind the gates taunting that irritates players.

and as with the other battles between then and the one at the gates, he's been poisoned, so not exactly in best fighting condition...

Well, one of them - maybe, but months pass between the other ones.

Locopells
05-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Yeah I've never been a fan of the 'taunting over the PA' style myself. I just don't pay it that much attention any more (but I'll agree your point still stands).

As to the second - it takes him months to get over the effects - poisoning can leave you severely weakened for ages, even if you survive.

Markaccus
05-28-2014, 10:47 AM
ACB - IN MY OPINION ONLY : Best villain, best implemented bro-hood and eco-system, best side content. I like this because this is my type of game. Just about nobody has voted for the same games in the same order. What a varied bunch we are :D

AC2 - no Bro hood but eco system was good and the was plenty to do

AC4 - This was a truly excellent game imo. Eddy is not my fave but the way they improved the naval aspect from ac3 was fantastic, and there is so much extra enjoyable things to do. It only loses out to the above games by a fraction.

ACR - I personally felt that this was just ACB set in Turkey. The city was nice, but they seemed to have over cooked the Bro hood in this one, to the point where some missions cost money rather than making it.

AC1- Without it, we would not be where we are now, fun but repetitive.

AC3 - Sorry, but this was not my cup of tea. Could not engage with the good or bad guys. Side content was too simplistic. Hated the Frontier. Undergrounds in cities to replace the assassins tomb aspect just didn't really work for me either. I will say some of the Peg Leg missions were ok, appart from the bit where you go to find the treasure, and are met by those Bionic Super Wolves who are faster than normal ones.

Farlander1991
05-28-2014, 10:56 AM
As to the second - it takes him months to get over the effects - poisoning can leave you severely weakened for ages, even if you survive.

Yeah, but it doesn't give him any plus points either :p I think it would've been more accepted had Cesare's characterization not been butchered between Siege of Monterrigioni (where he had a pretty awesome introduction) and the time when he's poisoned.

Markaccus
05-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Yeah, but it doesn't give him any plus points either :p I think it would've been more accepted had Cesare's characterization not been butchered between Siege of Monterrigioni (where he had a pretty awesome introduction) and the time when he's poisoned.

I think what ubi were striving for there was to show how his megalomania had final consumed him. He would have become that irrational, and the poisoning would also have amplified that. It was slightly OTT, i admit, but i can forgive that.

Megas_Doux
05-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Have to say, I never got why, despite his arrogance, the fact he not stupid enough to take on Ezio alone, when he doesn't have to, diminishes either his own combat ability (not the greatest boss fight though, I get that, I'm just saying) or more particularly his ability as a general (which is very obvious in both the Villa and Paz Romana sieges).

May be!

But then again, the reason I think that line gets SO many people on their nerves is how poor, from my point of view, was the actorīs performance. I mean, he talks TOO loud and overacts just TOO much, I found him pretty annoying to begin with in AC II -where he portrayed Francesco de Pazzi and one of the Orsi brothers- but in ACB he crossed the line. Having to watch any scene with Cesare was almost like any torture from the era to me haha.

ze_topazio
05-28-2014, 03:26 PM
I take Cesare's voice over Connor's sleep inducing voice any day.

liamMCLEOD
05-29-2014, 07:31 PM
ACB - IN MY OPINION ONLY : Best villain, best implemented bro-hood and eco-system, best side content. I like this because this is my type of game. Just about nobody has voted for the same games in the same order. What a varied bunch we are :D

AC2 - no Bro hood but eco system was good and the was plenty to do

AC4 - This was a truly excellent game imo. Eddy is not my fave but the way they improved the naval aspect from ac3 was fantastic, and there is so much extra enjoyable things to do. It only loses out to the above games by a fraction.

ACR - I personally felt that this was just ACB set in Turkey. The city was nice, but they seemed to have over cooked the Bro hood in this one, to the point where some missions cost money rather than making it.

AC1- Without it, we would not be where we are now, fun but repetitive.

AC3 - Sorry, but this was not my cup of tea. Could not engage with the good or bad guys. Side content was too simplistic. Hated the Frontier. Undergrounds in cities to replace the assassins tomb aspect just didn't really work for me either. I will say some of the Peg Leg missions were ok, appart from the bit where you go to find the treasure, and are met by those Bionic Super Wolves who are faster than normal ones.

This is the exact order i ranked them, i guess great minds think alike! :)

STDlyMcStudpants
05-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Fav to Least Fav
1. AC 3
2. AC 2
3. AC 4
4. ACR
5. ACB
6. AC1
(Never played freedom cry or liberation)

it all comes down to immersion for me.. and that is how i ranked them..
Game play story... they dont matter.. i like being lost in the world.

phoenix-force411
05-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Favorite to least favorite(Only counting actual titles, not sub-titles like Liberation and such):

1. Assassin's Creed II
2. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
4. Assassin's Creed
5. Assassin's Creed III
6. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Immersion-wise, this is my choice of ranking. But Assassin's Creed 1's immersion was very well done. ACB is probably the worse for me to that degree. Rome was not very exciting as I thought it would be. Too much countryside and Cesare himself is very cheesy, but ACB's story was pretty darn cheesy. In ACIII, the story progression was like bad. It was not very fun, and most of the time you're frustrated with the optional objectives. But the parkour and the Frontier really made the replay value high, but I will never make another runthrough of ACIII. Too much work and madness! I love the frontier a lot. Sorry, but ACR is better in ACB in my opinion.

AssassinHMS
05-29-2014, 09:13 PM
liamMCLEOD, may I ask why you created this thread and why my opinion on the subject would matter?

SixKeys
05-29-2014, 10:07 PM
liamMCLEOD, may I ask why you created this thread and why my opinion on the subject would matter?

I don't think anyone mentioned you specifically? Most people create threads like this just for fun.

Ureh
05-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Yep, just a place to express your thoughts... vent... whatever. Not like my family is going to listen to me jabber about AC. :P I'm curious to see which game holds a special place in our hearts and if it changes over the years.

My answer is still the same though. I don't think I can rank the games.

AssassinHMS
05-30-2014, 12:18 AM
Yep, just a place to express your thoughts... vent... whatever. Not like my family is going to listen to me jabber about AC. :P I'm curious to see which game holds a special place in our hearts and if it changes over the years.

My answer is still the same though. I don't think I can rank the games.
Saying ACx is better than ACy doesn't seem much of a thought to me. I'm pretty sure there are better ways to express thoughts, like explaining why I dislike a certain feature of a particular game or analyzing two different games and comparing them side by side.

As for venting...I don't think a place asking exclusively for people's random opinions on what is better than what, is the most indicated to vent, but what do I know?

I might be able to help you with your dilemma. You can't just rank AC games using objectivity alone. You can rank them according to particular aspects but you can never say that one game is absolutely better than the other since that depends mostly on what a specific person values the most. Some people don't care about feeling like an Assassin so they won't take that aspect into consideration, some may pick a huge fight with lines like "Guaaarrds" or with a particular character that wasn't to their liking and even let that have a big impact on their overall experience with the game while others are fixated with the protagonist and suddenly it becomes "The Ezio Game number II or III" or "The Game where MY Connor stars in!". So yeah, I think it's more important to criticize the games and place them together constructively instead of pinning them against each other and trying to find the "best".

BTW, why are you curious to know which game holds a special place in most hearts? I mean, it doesn't tell you anything about the game, about the person or anything.
Being THE BEST or THE WORST is almost completely circumstantial.

Locopells
05-30-2014, 12:32 AM
Saying ACx is better than ACy doesn't seem much of a thought to me. I'm pretty sure there are better ways to express thoughts, like explaining why I dislike a certain feature of a particular game or analyzing two different games and comparing them side by side.

Well I think that's the point - this thread has led to a number of discussions like that - for example, the debating over Cesare.

AssassinHMS
05-30-2014, 01:13 AM
Well I think that's the point - this thread has led to a number of discussions like that - for example, the debating over Cesare.

Is it? I thought the point was to rank the games. All I'm saying is that I don't see the point in doing it.

Ureh
05-30-2014, 02:07 AM

As for venting...I don't think a place asking exclusively for people's random opinions on what is better than what, is the most indicated to vent, but what do I know?

I might be able to help you with your dilemma. You can't just rank AC games using objectivity alone. You can rank them according to particular aspects but you can never say that one game is absolutely better than the other since that depends mostly on what a specific person values the most. Some people don't care about feeling like an Assassin so they won't take that aspect into consideration, some may pick a huge fight with lines like "Guaaarrds" or with a particular character that wasn't to their liking and even let that have a big impact on their overall experience with the game while others are fixated with the protagonist and suddenly it becomes "The Ezio Game number II or III" or "The Game where MY Connor stars in!". So yeah, I think it's more important to criticize the games and place them together constructively instead of pinning them against each other and trying to find the "best".

BTW, why are you curious to know which game holds a special place in most hearts? I mean, it doesn't tell you anything about the game, about the person or anything.

I agree, if a post simply says one is the best and another is the worst, then it's just statement but doesn't explain the reasons behind it (unless their avatar or siggy is like "I love Ezio! He's the bestest!" or some quote/art from their game). But I've read quite a few members explaining why they like a certain game, why they dislike another game. I'm interested in knowing what they value most, and what might repulse them. I can't help myself! Then I like to compare that with my own thoughts and preferences... maybe they thought of (or saw) something that I didn't? They could help change my opinion about something? Every year at least one of these threads are created, new members come along to tell us what they think, old members reassert their opinion or change it. Especially when someone replays a game and suddenly they see a new light and feel all enlightened. :p It's just really intriguing to me to read about different perspectives.

Every once in awhile I see a post gripe about their least favorite (and sometimes even the flaws of their top game). Sometimes they're venting about the hud or the targetting system. Or they don't like certain characters or dialogue...etc. Whatever their reason, I'd like to read and maybe understand why. It might compliment my own ideas about a game or help to reshape them.

Yep, I guess most posts don't really go into tons detail about why they hate/love particular features of a game. And even if they did type up a big old essay, most of the time we probably can't glean too much about their mindset or behavior. It's kinda hard to explain how I feel about this. But I feel a kind of comradery, or solidarity when I chat with other fans. Or at the very least a kind of respect for a person I might disagree with (which is hard because I think I see the merit in everyone's ideas). If someone is actually audacious enough to choose one game as the bestest/worstest then that kinda tells me a little something about them. I won't be able to write up a psych report about someone but at least that might help me understand their disposition in future discussions.

That was my feeble attempt at a reply. Hopefully I made some sense... maybe not.

SixKeys
05-30-2014, 02:29 AM

It's just like asking "what are you top 5 favorite movies?". You can either go into a lengthy explanation for each movie that you pick or you can just go by gut feeling and not put much thought into it. It's not about being constructive or deep, it's just fun to read what other people find important in a game. For example I couldn't care less if Cesare is a bad villain, he doesn't ruin ACB for me. But some other people seem to think having a good villain is more important than other features. That's interesting to me, because it tells me we don't all have the same priorities in our entertainment. I don't even care if someone ranks their favorites purely by nostalgia factor, because that means there's obviously something special and personal about their experience and then it's not about being objective at all, just reminiscing about the good times in your life. Not everything has to be overly analytical.

AssassinHMS
05-30-2014, 03:54 AM
I agree, if a post simply says one is the best and another is the worst, then it's just statement but doesn't explain the reasons behind it (unless their avatar or siggy is like "I love Ezio! He's the bestest!" or some quote/art from their game). But I've read quite a few members explaining why they like a certain game, why they dislike another game. I'm interested in knowing what they value most, and what might repulse them. I can't help myself! Then I like to compare that with my own thoughts and preferences... maybe they thought of (or saw) something that I didn't? They could help change my opinion about something? Every year at least one of these threads are created, new members come along to tell us what they think, old members reassert their opinion or change it. Especially when someone replays a game and suddenly they see a new light and feel all enlightened. :p It's just really intriguing to me to read about different perspectives.

Every once in awhile I see a post gripe about their least favorite (and sometimes even the flaws of their top game). Sometimes they're venting about the hud or the targetting system. Or they don't like certain characters or dialogue...etc. Whatever their reason, I'd like to read and maybe understand why. It might compliment my own ideas about a game or help to reshape them.

Yep, I guess most posts don't really go into tons detail about why they hate/love particular features of a game. And even if they did type up a big old essay, most of the time we probably can't glean too much about their mindset or behavior. It's kinda hard to explain how I feel about this. But I feel a kind of comradery, or solidarity when I chat with other fans. Or at the very least a kind of respect for a person I might disagree with (which is hard because I think I see the merit in everyone's ideas). If someone is actually audacious enough to choose one game as the bestest/worstest then that kinda tells me a little something about them. I won't be able to write up a psych report about someone but at least that might help me understand their disposition in future discussions.

That was my feeble attempt at a reply. Hopefully I made some sense... maybe not.

It's just like asking "what are you top 5 favorite movies?". You can either go into a lengthy explanation for each movie that you pick or you can just go by gut feeling and not put much thought into it. It's not about being constructive or deep, it's just fun to read what other people find important in a game. For example I couldn't care less if Cesare is a bad villain, he doesn't ruin ACB for me. But some other people seem to think having a good villain is more important than other features. That's interesting to me, because it tells me we don't all have the same priorities in our entertainment. I don't even care if someone ranks their favorites purely by nostalgia factor, because that means there's obviously something special and personal about their experience and then it's not about being objective at all, just reminiscing about the good times in your life. Not everything has to be overly analytical.

Ok, I think I get it. So, this kind of thread aims at finding out one's priorities, preferences and mindset when it comes to AC and a few other things and not at annalysing the games. Thank you both for your replies, I guess I'll add my own response to the topic.

AssassinHMS
05-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Before I order the games accordingly, I will explain my reasons.

What I value most in a game is gameplay. I can easily overlook the story if the gameplay allows me to "be" what I want to be in that particular game. While I can enjoy a story, I don't usually care much if I can't relate to any of the major characters. While I enjoyed most AC's stories, I never really "saw myself" in any of the protagonists (maybe a little in Altair). That being said, I do enjoy the puzzles, the mysteries, the complexity of the Creed and the whole Animus concept. However, for me, gameplay always comes first. For that reason, what I value the most in an AC game, is the Assassin Simulator aspect. Another very important aspect, when I evaluate a game is the sheer amount of fun I have playing it. That is why AC1 is not on the top of my list. While it is the closest to the Assassin Simulator formula, it isn't nearly a full-fledged Assassin Simulator (it is too underdeveloped, over simplistic and lackluster in both content and freedom to be that "real" Assassin Simulator that I am looking for). Related to that, there is also the fact that I didn't have as much fun as I had while playing other AC games partially due to AC1's underdeveloped investigations, almost non-existent side missions, over simplistic and weak simulator approach.
While I do like to explore historical locations during different time periods, I play AC to feel like an Assassin (which already includes the historical aspect) and not to relieve every major event, to befriend historical characters or to be this SUPER-DUPER guy who saves the world with brute force. What I mean, is that I like to be the Assassin who works in the shadows and that plays his small but important role that will eventually have an impact in the bigger picture.

In the end, what matters to me the most, is if I felt like an Assassin and if I had fun.
So, the games that meet most of my preferences and demands are (from best to worst):

1 - Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (met most of my demands but only scratched the surface for the most part especially in terms of the simulator approach)
2 - Assassin's Creed (the best Assassin Simulator when only considering AC games but still a very weak Assassin Simulator)
3 - Assassin's Creed IV - Black Flag
4 - Assassin's Creed II
5 - Assassin's Creed Revelations
6 - Assassin's Creed III (while the other titles had a hard time matching my demands, this one didn't even bother. If AC II paved the way for the death of AC in my eyes, this one finished the job)

Overall, I don't like this franchise. It left a bad taste in my mouth. The potential is...was there. Now itís just another faceless casual series with a free pass, the historical component. Iíll still give ACU a chance for AC1ís sake but my predisposition for AC is at its very limit.

phoenix-force411
05-30-2014, 08:00 AM
ACB was the worse in my rank...it's very fun, but I have reasons why it remains in the very bottom.

HercRembrandt
05-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Haven't played AC IV yet.

1. AC2 - The general awesomeness is very strong. Ezi-O! Venice! Assassin Tombs! San Gimignano with all those towers! A modern day plot that seemed to be going somewhere! Best in series.

2. AC1 - The feels, the focus. A real "next-gen" moment back in the day. A genuinely natural setting for assassins vs. templars.

3. AC Brotherhood - Moar Enzio! Cool side missions. Torching Borgia Towers. Rome in general. The glyphs were pretty cool, not just random collectibles. Best modern day so far... until they messed it up, with poor Gossip Girl's contract being up. As for MP, don't care for it. Messed up getting the Plat, and that's the major contribution of that thing.

4. AC Revelations - Well, it's still Enzo... and the city is nice and colorful. Seems a little light on prime content. Padded out with filler, like the tower defense nonsense and the need to keep notoriety down to avoid it. The city-juggling "metagame" was a particularly useless and unrewarding experience. The modern day Desmond's Journey bit was... ehh... I get the Arty thing Ubisoft must have been trying to go for, but FPP, for FFS?

5. AC3 - Much fail. Nonsensical plot, protagonist never really comes fully alive. Seems that Ubi succumbed to the "Huzzah for 'Murica!" potential of the setting. Mission design seems worse than ever. Glitchfest 2012 Honorable mention. And the infamous killing of the modern day story.

6. AC Liberation - All too much disconnected nonsense, not anchored in anything but Ubisoft/Abstergo hubris. Missions seemingly mainly consisting of following an objective marker step by step. Surely the Vita original didn't force choices like that?

Markaccus
05-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Overall, I don't like this franchise. It left a bad taste in my mouth. The potential is...was there. Now it’s just another faceless casual series with a free pass, the historical component. I’ll still give ACU a chance for AC1’s sake but my predisposition for AC is at its very limit.

You see? We now have another unique perspective on things. Opinions from someone who no longer likes AC games as much as they used to, to the point where you are on the verge of dropping it. Your comments were very interesting to me, and probably most others who read them. I agree there are things that could have been done better in many of the games, but for me they are minor things that do not affect my enjoyment much. I think most of us hope that, since this is an Ubisoft forum, they may occasionally take note of what we as customers think and want, and try to implement the occasional good idea. (I have read one or two really good ideas from other AC fans on this forum).

Markaccus
05-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Haven't played AC IV yet.

5. AC3 - Much fail. Nonsensical plot, protagonist never really comes fully alive. Seems that Ubi succumbed to the "Huzzah for 'Murica!" potential of the setting. Mission design seems worse than ever. Glitchfest 2012 Honorable mention. And the infamous killing of the modern day story.

Agreements times 1000000

I remember diving into the water in boston, but did not see the rock below me. Now, you'd think that Connor would just have jumped instead due to there being no water????? NO! he DIVED INTO THE ROCK, which went 'splash' not 'thunk' as it should have, and Connor proceeded to swim around under/inside the f*cking rock, unable to get out. I had to restart the mission. FFS. I mean just, FFS.

The modern day of AC3 was doing fine. some fighting, and some platforming to place the power sources, but then suddenly Des dies, and leaves us with apparently nowhere to go.

GunnerGalactico
05-30-2014, 08:57 AM
While I do like to explore historical locations during different time periods, I play AC to feel like an Assassin (which already includes the historical aspect) and not to relieve every major event, to befriend historical characters or to be this SUPER-DUPER guy who saves the world with brute force. What I mean, is that I like to be the Assassin who works in the shadows and that plays his small but important role that will eventually have an impact in the bigger picture.

Well said. And to be perfectly honest, I only got that feeling in AC1. From AC2 onwards, I felt that the stealth aspect of the game was diminishing in my opinion. It mostly focused on historical events, locations and meeting historical figures. With AC3, I felt that they ditched the "I'm but a blade in the crowd" feel entirely. I know a lot of people didn't really enjoy AC3 and I don't blame anyone for feeling that way. I would sound biased if I said that the game didn't have any flaws but despite that, I still enjoyed AC3. To me the things that made the game terrible was it's story progression arc, sloppy mission design and structures, deleted scenes and dialogue. As for the main protagonist, you either like him or hate him... to be honest I thought Connor is a good character, to me he represented the moral values and ideals that you would associate with most heroic characters and Ubisoft themselves said that Connor was meant to be a naÔve character. As for Unity, I'm also hoping that they bring the "Assassin working in the shadows" vibe back into the game instead of shoehorning characters into events and making that the central focus.

Fatal-Feit
05-30-2014, 11:02 AM
ac:iv
ac:3
ac:r
ac:2
ac:1
ac:l

ac:b

AssassinHMS
05-30-2014, 11:14 PM
You see? We now have another unique perspective on things. Opinions from someone who no longer likes AC games as much as they used to, to the point where you are on the verge of dropping it. Your comments were very interesting to me, and probably most others who read them. I agree there are things that could have been done better in many of the games, but for me they are minor things that do not affect my enjoyment much. I think most of us hope that, since this is an Ubisoft forum, they may occasionally take note of what we as customers think and want, and try to implement the occasional good idea. (I have read one or two really good ideas from other AC fans on this forum).

Sure, we may have another unique perspective but why would you agree or disagree with it? It is purely subjective. For example, I said AC turned into a faceless casual series with the historical aspect as a free pass. But do you agree with that? Better yet, do you have any real reason to agree with it? I wouldnít say so, because I provided no objective arguments to sustain that claim. All I did was share my subjective views on the franchise. All you can say, from reading my post, is that you know me a little bit better but, as far as subjectivity goes, that post is completely irrelevant and useless.
Do you think AC became faceless? I bet, regardless of your answer, that my post did not have the smallest impact in it. And that is to be expected since the post is mainly focused on ďmeĒ and not on the actual games. So what does it matter if we have another unique perspective on things (other than getting to know people)? Not that I think itís pointless, of course.

As for this being an Ubisoft forum and them taking notesÖsure. Ubisoft has quite a good selective hearing.
Ubisoft listens carefully to their target. Theyíre interested in knowing what they want from AC, what will make them buy AC, etc.
Fortunately or unfortunately, I donít belong to Ubisoftís target audience. Before I name anything I want to give a few examples.
Ubisoftís target audience are those that said AC1ís investigations were boring and that they should be replaced or taken out, Ubisoftís target audience are those who play AC for mindless action, big explosions, ďHISTORYĒ, STABBING, IMPALING, basically violently murdering every ďenemyĒ in sight, etc.
Why do I say this? Because that is what AC is currently GOOD at. ACís fun isnít in taking it or its story seriously (apparently Ubisoft doesnít either), the fun is in messing around, killing and doing side things and side stuff, anything but acting or thinking like an Assassin. Now, this by itself means nothing but, taking in consideration that, in the beginning of AC, being an Assassin was the whole concept, it is clear that the huge shift in focus that this franchise took was due to AC1ís reception. Sure, AC was never a heavy Assassin Simulator, it never required much skill or thought (although it used to reward such traits) but AC was nothing like what it is today. Especially if you take in account Patriceís initial thoughts on AC1. Basically, he said AC1 was meant to make the player think like an Assassin, that the game asked the player to carefully scope his surroundings, to use stealth and to plan the assassination.
And, if you think about it, ACís gameplay would work a lot better if the games focused on improving the simulator approach instead of ditching it.

Anyway, if Ubisoft listened to me or to most of the long time fans, donít you think they wouldíve added an option to remove weapons and armor by now? Or that they would, at least, stop forcing the player to become a notorious walking tank?
They listen to the big market, to the casual market, to the players that play AC casually, who donít care if the Assassin is a walking tank, that donít care about the modern day story, that donít care about feeling or making the slightest effort to think like an Assassin. No, today AC is made for those that just want to have a good time doing some stuff, killing people and having a drink with Blackbeard (because History!).

Anyway, enough of my rabble. This was just another weak attempt at explaining objectively why AC became faceless (because it sold its former and original face) and why I donít like the franchise.

Landruner
05-31-2014, 03:53 AM
I believe that we should all combine the AC games as a all and rank them with some other assassin games of the same type , that shall perhaps opens some perspectives to the devs at Ubisoft.

Note: More seriously, I believe that they should release two different type of AC games now - An assassin Creed for fun and another one for the ones that want the real thing and feeling like one. Come on, the best Assassin Creed is going to be made someday, I am sure....

For staying in the topic: Here is my AC rank for its titles and Assassins

AC2: 9/10 - A mix of fun and game play innovation with the support of the first game - I really liked it and I like the medieval / renaissance period
ACB: 8/10 - An Extension of AC2 that is crazy and fun and it should have presented as an Ezio extension and not as a full game for stopping the misunderstanding, at the same time that game started to kill the all thing.
ACR: 7/10 - Same as above, however it was a total annual filler, however the bombs were a cool & fun feature and the combat were the best in the series - they actually required some strategy, no joke.
AC1: 7/10 - The one that started all, however the concept was sounding great on a piece of paper than its realization - something went wrong and It was disappointing, but still something is there....
AC3: 6/10 - The total let down except for its story that alas was poorly exploited, I still like it, but seriously they needed to raise the bar and they missed it with a melt-pot of unfinished and poorly design feature and opportunities.
AC4BF: 8/10 - Well, I liked that game for all the naval game play and that is about it - The worse AC game ever, but the best of naval game ever made.
AC4FC: 5/10 - Adale The Black Connor, I know it is a DLC but since it is a separate game now I put it there, well the dude deserved better than just an AC4 DLC
AC3L: 6/10 - Aveline is a great character and she should have deserved better treatment that this spin off made for some milking exploitation of a series.

We all agree AC is a great series, however some recent departures and design orientations divide the fans of the series. It is difficult to please and content everybody, sure but at the same time it is obvious that the series lost some focus of mandatory concept thorough the years, and it is too bad since honestly most of us (I am sure) do not really understand where the all thing goes and for what?

I personally gave up on the modern day part, I also gave up regarding the all Templar vs Assassin order, since I any longer don't see the point of that fight and lost the sight of why they are rival. Even worse I got more and more sympathy for the foes of the game, and almost wish playing a Templar character for a change.
I gave up on an assassin doing discretely its job since the game play prevents me from being discrete in my attempts and strategies.
that is true, I gave up in being a shadow assassin concept since it is actually game play wise hard or almost impossible to remind silent and unnoticed without starting a "Texassassin Chaincombo massacre" in killing hundred of foes in just blocking their attacks. (How I could have been discreet onto the roofs of the cites of AC3 anyhow? - the best strategy was rampaging the streets from the over populated and res-pawning guards)

I also gave up on some stuff (gadgets, weapons and features) I liked from the previous opus since they remove them game after game based on the negative feedback from some users.

It also bugs me that for each recent game I wish they could have done better, or see how it could have been better - I am not smarter than the UBI devs - I just like games that it and can see where things could have been elaborated instead of being just some superficial and repetitive templates. (How imaginative game play wise it is to follow people in AC4 over and over in order to act as a snaky assassin?)

I gave up on the hooded look of the assassins since most of the outfit lost their feature interest and strategic outcome for just being pre-order fashion features or else third party Dr Peppers, MacFarlane's ULCs for getting descent weapons. (The hooded look of the assassin is just an iconic gimmick, but not really an useful outfit for blinding in the mass like it was introduced and exploited in the earliest games)

I gave up in meeting historical people just because they could be helpful to my strategy or being part goal, I am just a historical tourist that is "Forrest Gumping" the historical characters revisited by Ubisoft for the hype of the games. (A snapshot feature should be included for picture souvenir).
I am not even sure that the AC series is made any longer for me, since I feel that the series is addressing itself to an younger audience, maybe I am too old for still playing at Assassin Creed? I don't know? While playing AC4 I never felt so old in playing a game ever.

Not even sure that Assassin's Creed is Assassin's Creed anymore because it goes everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

That is a lot of gave ups and auto motivation in order to enjoy the next coming up games of my favorite series of video games.

AssassinHMS
05-31-2014, 03:47 PM
Hi Landruner!

I agree, if Ubisoft gave up on AC right after AC1, we would eventually be forced to do the same.
I actually consider AC, as a franchise, to be mediocre at best. I mean, since 2007, AC has not evolved one bit. It got larger but it didnít get better. In fact, it got worse. Think about it. The core remained the same since AC1 (depressingly underdeveloped, that is) and the formula got MUCH worse. The ONLY thing that got better were the backup mechanics (like naval), the animations and the graphics. Combat got worse (and this is only partially subjective), while a few small stealth mechanics were introduced, the actual concept of stealth is inferior to AC1ís and navigation became automatic and imprecise. The only reason why AC is still a mediocre franchise is because it was originally very good.

Not even sure that Assassin's Creed is Assassin's Creed anymore because it goes everywhere and nowhere at the same time.
Thatís because it isnít. AC was an Assassin simulator.
That is what AC1 was or, at least, attempted to be. It was poor but innovative and challenging nonetheless.

Now look at ACR, AC3 or AC4. They make no attempt to put the player in the shoes of an Assassin. No, what they attempt to do, is to take the player in a heavily altered historical tour where you are the absolute center of the world. Itís similar to a bad friend. It isnít a good person, it isnít good for you but it will be there to tell you what you want to hear (that you are the ďbestestĒ, that Blackbeard is your pall, that you are ďthe chosen oneĒ, etc.). In fact, these games focus on the things that the Creed stands against. Having fun killing innocent guards, getting exposed over and over because there is no need to use stealth or the brain, etc.
This sort of games are meant to make the player feel ďBADASSĒ. Badass as in, ďIím doing something so easy but so flashy that I actually believe that Iím good at something!Ē
So basically, these gamesí purpose is to build tiny egos.

As for going everywhere and nowhere at the same time, I think it has to do with the fact that AC tries to be everything (except what it was supposed to be in the first place) in order to please most consumers but ends up being good at nothing (at least not any better than other games that already do the same, with exception of naval which is admittedly unrivaled). Then why does it sell? History.

It all changed between AC1 and AC2. AC2 is nothing but the direct response to AC1ís criticism. Didnít like the extraordinarily underdeveloped investigations? No more investigations then! Thought the game was repetitive and boring? Well, clearly they must think being an Assassin is boring (since AC1 is such a perfect simulator). No more planning then. No more open ended assassinations. Have some beat up events instead. Hmm, that game Uncharted seems to be popular. Linearity and tons of actionÖit doesnít really fit into ACís concept. **** the concept, people will like it, get used to it and call it AC.

So yeah, what a great franchise this is.

jayjay275
05-31-2014, 04:08 PM
Hi Landruner!

I agree, if Ubisoft gave up on AC right after AC1, we would eventually be forced to do the same.
I actually consider AC, as a franchise, to be mediocre at best. I mean, since 2007, AC has not evolved one bit. It got larger but it didn’t get better. In fact, it got worse. Think about it. The core remained the same since AC1 (depressingly underdeveloped, that is) and the formula got MUCH worse. The ONLY thing that got better were the backup mechanics (like naval), the animations and the graphics. Combat got worse (and this is only partially subjective), while a few small stealth mechanics were introduced, the actual concept of stealth is inferior to AC1’s and navigation became automatic and imprecise. The only reason why AC is still a mediocre franchise is because it was originally very good.

That’s because it isn’t. AC was an Assassin simulator.
That is what AC1 was or, at least, attempted to be. It was poor but innovative and challenging nonetheless.

Now look at ACR, AC3 or AC4. They make no attempt to put the player in the shoes of an Assassin. No, what they attempt to do, is to take the player in a heavily altered historical tour where you are the absolute center of the world. It’s similar to a bad friend. It isn’t a good person, it isn’t good for you but it will be there to tell you what you want to hear (that you are the “bestest”, that Blackbeard is your pall, that you are “the chosen one”, etc.). In fact, these games focus on the things that the Creed stands against. Having fun killing innocent guards, getting exposed over and over because there is no need to use stealth or the brain, etc.
This sort of games are meant to make the player feel “BADASS”. Badass as in, “I’m doing something so easy but so flashy that I actually believe that I’m good at something!”
So basically, these games’ purpose is to build tiny egos.

As for going everywhere and nowhere at the same time, I think it has to do with the fact that AC tries to be everything (except what it was supposed to be in the first place) in order to please most consumers but ends up being good at nothing (at least not any better than other games that already do the same, with exception of naval which is admittedly unrivaled). Then why does it sell? History.

It all changed between AC1 and AC2. AC2 is nothing but the direct response to AC1’s criticism. Didn’t like the extraordinarily underdeveloped investigations? No more investigations then! Thought the game was repetitive and boring? Well, clearly they must think being an Assassin is boring (since AC1 is such a perfect simulator). No more planning then. No more open ended assassinations. Have some beat up events instead. Hmm, that game Uncharted seems to be popular. Linearity and tons of action…it doesn’t really fit into AC’s concept. **** the concept, people will like it, get used to it and call it AC.

So yeah, what a great franchise this is.

You said that AC3 doesn't make you be like an assassin at all, which is totally untrue. As I recall, there are several missions in which you assassinate antagonists, not only that but ACR forces an excellent mission on you where you must assassinate Shahkulu in Cappadocia.

AssassinHMS
05-31-2014, 04:43 PM
You said that AC3 doesn't make you be like an assassin at all, which is totally untrue. As I recall, there are several missions in which you assassinate antagonists, not only that but ACR forces an excellent mission on you where you must assassinate Shahkulu in Cappadocia.
Being an Assassin is not the same as being an assassin. Keep that in mind.
I suppose there is that mission. Gotta thank Ubisoft for remembering to add one assassination that isn't completely linear. Still, that is nothing compared to an Assassin simulator (even to a poor one like AC1).

jayjay275
05-31-2014, 04:47 PM
Being an Assassin is not the same as being an assassin. Keep that in mind.
I suppose there is that mission. Gotta thank Ubisoft for remembering to add one assassination that isn't completely linear. Still, that is nothing compared to an Assassin simulator (even to a poor one like AC1).

Either I'm betwatled or assassin and Assassin are the same thing...

Megas_Doux
05-31-2014, 04:49 PM
AC IV offered both quantity and quality in terms of free, open assassinations: Julien du Casse, Laurens Prins, Peter Chamberlaine, Josiah Burgess, John Cockram, Benjamin Hornigold, Woodes Rogers and fake Torres.

Only the real Torres and Roberts were linear.

Interesting that you picked ACB as your favorite......

Locopells
05-31-2014, 04:51 PM

Assassin - member of the order:
assassin - some one who just kills someone in the same way.

It like the difference between real Champagne from France and the Tesco Value knock-off champagne...

AssassinHMS
05-31-2014, 04:59 PM

One is a random person who comitted the act of murder, another is this complex thing that I'm too bored to explain but that you can know about by paying attention to the games (especially AC1). Being an assassin is not even 5% of being an Assassin and that has a huge impact in both the story and the gameplay.

jayjay275
05-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Ok, but Ezio was an Assassin and so was Ratonhake;ton and Edward (towards the end).

SixKeys
05-31-2014, 05:01 PM
Assassin - member of the order:
assassin - some one who just kills someone in the same way.

It like the difference between real Champagne from France and the Tesco Value knock-off champagne...

I never capitalize assassin because in the games' world, to the average person Assassin and assassin are exactly the same. They don't know if that guy who just murdered someone is a member of some kind of order or just a random terrorist. Just in case anyone has ever wondered why I capitalize Templars but not assassins. :p

Megas_Doux
05-31-2014, 05:02 PM
Ok, but Ezio was an Assassin and so was Ratonhake;ton and Edward (towards the end).

And is a FACT, that Ezio was NOT an assassin during 85% percent of AC II.

jayjay275
05-31-2014, 05:04 PM
And is a FACT, that Ezio was NOT an assassin during 85% percent of AC II.

Indeed.

AssassinHMS
05-31-2014, 05:09 PM

It's not about them, it's about you being an Assassin.

Megas_Doux
05-31-2014, 05:10 PM

I'm talking about the simulator approach. Patrice said you would be your own Altair. His Altair, for example, never looked at the person he was talking to (reminder:there were no cinematic cutscenes in AC1)[/QUOTE]

But in AC IV had both quantity and quality in terms of free, open assassinations: Julien du Casse, Laurens Prins, Peter Chamberlaine, Josiah Burgess, John Cockram, Benjamin Hornigold, Woodes Rogers and fake Torres. which counts to eight, the SAME number of AC I, for instance.

Only the real Torres and Roberts were linear, just as Robert de Sable and Al Mualim.

Both games, only by one though, have MORE than AC II: Uberto Alberti, Vieri de Pazzi, Antonio Maffei, Francesco Salviati, Bernardo Baroncelli, Stefano da Bagnone and Emilio Barbarigo. The rest were more or less linear, or at least NOT that open.

And you HAVE to agree that Edward and Ezio were following purely personal agendas. Ezio just wanted revenge, plain and simple, he NEVER mentioned the templars wanting to restrict freedom, he just asked who were the ones to blamed for the death of his family, and kill them. Edward just wanted to reach the observatory to gain wealth, taking advantage of assassin order and killing templars in the process.

jayjay275
05-31-2014, 05:12 PM

It is about them though, you aren't meant to be playing as yourself. You're reliving the memories/lives of Assassins or the lead up to it.

AssassinHMS
05-31-2014, 05:26 PM
Ezio was NOT an Assassin in AC II.

It is about them though, you aren't meant to be playing as yourself. You're reliving the memories/lives of Assassins or the lead up to it.

You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?

I'm talking about the simulator approach. Patrice said you would be your own Altair. His Altair, for example, never looked at the person he was talking to (reminder:there were no cinematic cutscenes in AC1)

jayjay275
05-31-2014, 05:39 PM
Agreed.

AssassinHMS
05-31-2014, 06:13 PM
But in AC IV had both quantity and quality in terms of free, open assassinations: Julien du Casse, Laurens Prins, Peter Chamberlaine, Josiah Burgess, John Cockram, Benjamin Hornigold, Woodes Rogers and fake Torres. which counts to eight, the SAME number of AC I, for instance.

Only the real Torres and Roberts were linear, just as Robert de Sable and Al Mualim.

Both games, only by one though, have MORE than AC II: Uberto Alberti, Vieri de Pazzi, Antonio Maffei, Francesco Salviati, Bernardo Baroncelli, Stefano da Bagnone and Emilio Barbarigo. The rest were more or less linear, or at least NOT that open.

And you HAVE to agree that Edward and Ezio were following agendas. Ezio just wanted revenge, plain and simple, he NEVER mentioned the templars wanting to restrict freedom, he just asked who were the ones to blamed for the death of his family, and kill them. Edward just wanted to reach the observatory to gain wealth, taking advantage of assassin order and killing templars in the process.

OkÖ
First, AC1 not only gave you the ability to freely engage an Assassination mission, it also allowed the player to investigate (like Assassins did in those times) prior to the mission which in turn, allowed him to gather information that he could use (with his brain) to plan the whole thing (from infiltration to escape). The actual assassination is nothing but the tip of the iceberg. Assassins spent years investigating, getting close to their targets, yadayadaya (Iím not proposing that kind of realism). All Iím saying is that assassinations arenít the whole Assassin Simulator concept. Before you say that investigations are boring, that this is a gameÖtake a look at my or other peopleís ideas on the subject. Then you will understand the difference between a strong Assassin Simulator and AC1. To put it short, it is basically about the player becoming a detective, about planning, about choice and about being a unique Assassin (how will you get the information? What will you do with it? Will you follow the creed or find an easier path? How will your personality and preferences have an impact in your assassination plan? ETC.)
Itís not just about having a few open ended missions.

Second, AC1 is the first Assassinís Creed game (you donít say?), AC4 is the sixth main entry in the series. Do you think I will be satisfied with a few open ended assassinations? Does Ubisoft think I will pat them in the back for this huge ďfavorĒ? They had the OBLIGATION to have improved on AC1. The weak simulator, the even weaker core mechanicsÖInstead I get this. Well great.

Third, I donít care about Ezio, Connor or Edward. If they arenít Assassins then thatís fine (although I would prefer an Assassin from the start). If they want to expose themselves, crash their fatherís funeral and get caught, to sail the seven seas or to beat up cheating husbands, then that is up to them. As long as I can be what they should be, Iím fine with that. I want to ďbeĒ an Assassin when I play Assassinís Creed. Too bad for me that the core is shamelessly underdeveloped, that the concept is gone, that the formula became what it did.

AC could have delivered a strong Assassin Simulator but it required effort and passion. Instead they took the easy path. They gave up on the underdeveloped concept, laid back and decided to rely on the historical component and copy popular games like Uncharted or Batman.

SixKeys
05-31-2014, 06:15 PM
AC could have delivered a strong Assassin Simulator but it required effort and passion. Instead they took the easy path. They gave up on the underdeveloped concept, laid back and decided to rely on the historical component and copy popular games like Uncharted or Batman.

Considering how few people truly enjoyed AC1, can you really blame them?

lothario-da-be
05-31-2014, 06:29 PM
1. ACR
2. ACB
3. AC3
4. AC2
5. AC1
6. AC4

#controversial fake list

ac4
ac2
acb
ac3
acr
ac1

AssassinHMS
05-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Considering how few people truly enjoyed AC1, can you really blame them?

They need to believe in their product, if they don't it's over. They should have understood that the problem weren't the actual investigations but their lack of development. They should've been creative like L.A. Noire's developers. I know this is a bunch of "should've" plus some pretty words but, it is just as important to listen to the fans as it is to listen to their game. Now look where they are. A ton of people (myself included) telling them what to do. But where to turn?

Simple, to the game. They need to understand what made AC in the first place, what its concept is and improve/build on it, instead of focusing on creating features that hide AC's true nature and that push the core away from the spotlight.

Ureh
05-31-2014, 06:47 PM
You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?

I'm talking about the simulator approach. Patrice said you would be your own Altair. His Altair, for example, never looked at the person he was talking to (reminder:there were no cinematic cutscenes in AC1)

My memory is realy fuzzy, but weren't there moments where he will look at people he's speaking to? Like the targets, interrogations...and maybe others. Also in several scenes where we have the choice to turn away, Altair's head will keep shifting left and right if not facing the speaker.

SixKeys
05-31-2014, 06:56 PM
They need to believe in their product, if they don't it's over. They should have understood that the problem weren't the actual investigations but their lack of development. They should've been creative like L.A. Noire's developers. I know this is a bunch of "should've" plus some pretty words but, it is just as important to listen to the fans as it is to listen to their game. Now look where they are. A ton of people (myself included) telling them what to do. But where to turn?

Simple, to the game. They need to understand what made AC in the first place, what its concept is and improve/build on it, instead of focusing on creating features that hide AC's true nature and that push the core away from the spotlight.

"Now look at where they are." As one of the best-selling franchises currently in the video game industry. Fans keep telling them what to do, but if you look at their profits, are they really failing to meet the fans' demands? I know it's easy to say they should change this or that because you personally don't like where the series is going, but purely from a business perspective, how can you say they are wrong to cater to a larger audience? AC3 was a huge financial success, whether you as a fan enjoyed it or not. How would you go about convincing investors that the AC3 formula was a bad business decision when it's the series' best-selling game so far?

AssassinHMS
05-31-2014, 07:03 PM
My memory is realy fuzzy, but weren't there moments where he will look at people he's speaking to? Like the targets, interrogations...and maybe others. Also in several scenes where we have the choice to turn away, Altair's head will keep shifting left and right if not facing the speaker.

I know there were a few times when he would automatically turn his head but you could still force him to look at a wall or something and not directly at the speaker. However I don't remember noticing him shifting left and right endlessly in any occasion. Then again, I never really explored the concept that much.

AssassinHMS
05-31-2014, 07:34 PM
"Now look at where they are." As one of the best-selling franchises currently in the video game industry. Fans keep telling them what to do, but if you look at their profits, are they really failing to meet the fans' demands? I know it's easy to say they should change this or that because you personally don't like where the series is going, but purely from a business perspective, how can you say they are wrong to cater to a larger audience? AC3 was a huge financial success, whether you as a fan enjoyed it or not. How would you go about convincing investors that the AC3 formula was a bad business decision when it's the series' best-selling game so far?

My answer is: Not in the long run.

Selling something real and unique like AC’s concept for quick cash isn’t more profitable than working on AC’s concept and improving it since that would get them a lot of money throughout the years.

By doing this and turning AC into something it is not, something made exclusively with money as the goal, they shortened AC’s lifespan considerably. In fact, I’d say AC4 BF would be one of the last AC games that would sell without some real improvement in terms of the core. Why? Because naval was likely their last trump card. They already used it, twice (last time in an open world form). How much more can they squeeze from it before it is deemed repetitive or boring? It isn’t a core mechanic and you can’t fake that. For the most part, only core mechanics have the ability to survive in the long run. Ubisoft will be forced to improve AC someday. They have refused to do it until now but they will have to do it eventually.

Also, AC3 sold because of the hype, not because of the content. Lies after lies, false propaganda, broken promises (not actual promises, but promises nonetheless). That damages a franchise you know. That kind of money is not worth it (again, in the long run).

Now, if they will use AC and throw it once they’re done, once it stops selling or if they want AC to exist in the long run, that is up to them.
5 Minutes of Fame, that is what AC has so far.

Oh, and the only reason why AC seems so bulletproof and why it has been able to shake and even bypass many of these life rules, is because of the power the historical component holds.
If, by some lucky shot, another open world historical franchise rises, AC is DEAD as it is.

Now, they can also play smart and focus on the core, think in the long run and treat AC’s concept with respect. But hey! Who am I to tell them that, right?

STDlyMcStudpants
05-31-2014, 07:44 PM
One is a random person who comitted the act of murder, another is this complex thing that I'm too bored to explain but that you can know about by paying attention to the games (especially AC1). Being an assassin is not even 5% of being an Assassin and that has a huge impact in both the story and the gameplay.

Murderers and Assassins are not the same thing.
An assassin is an assassin. (Kills for religious or political reasons)
If its JUST personal they are a murderer no matter what level of politics the victim is in (Ezio in AC2.. so i remember)
Connor in AC 3 was kind of mixed... he didnt just go after charles lee for his mother, but against the entire british army for politics..
AC4 was politics... so edward was technically an assassin the whole time...
The word brotherhood is where people get confused....
Altair was an assassin but an outsider to the brotherhood...
Ezio became a part at the end of AC2 i believe?
Connor was inducted by achillies...
Edward at the end of AC4...

I think AC 2 is the ONLY example of a non true assassin story... as it was an avenge story

BlakJakXXI
06-01-2014, 08:02 PM
1. AC4 - Probably my favorite AC game so far. I liked the story, Edward and his development, and many of the side characters. Sea ships were pretty neat too, even if they could be a little tedious at times. I liked the Caribbean setting as well, with the natural environments making things look lively. The combat was alright too, though with how the enemies were, it could be kind of predictable and repetitious at times. The system with the guns and blow darts feels like an improvement after my experience with them in the AC:L demo, which is good to see.

2. AC1 - I liked how guards were easier to alert if you're not careful, so there was a greater sense of danger. I also liked the combat felt like a challenge without feeling too dragged out. I also kind of liked you you were rewarded support groups like the scholars and vigilantes by rescuing civilians. Had things not been as repetitious, I might like it as equally as AC4.

3. ACR - The story was nice, and I did like getting to play as Altair again. The assassin guild system was also kind of neat too. I kind of liked how your notoriety increased when you bought and built property, which made me want to be more cautious and try harder to reduce it. It was kind of short though, and I didn't really do much of the side stuff. The combat was ok, though it could be kind of easy at times. I guess I rank it equally to AC2.

4. AC2 - This was my first AC game, and I think it's alright. The story was pretty nice, but the combat in the game irritated me with how dragged out battles with guards felt. I would just have to keep striking guards until they got worn out, and I couldn't tell if I didn't do a counter right or if it simply didn't work. AC1 was the second AC game I played, and when I noticed how the combat felt better than AC2's, I was kind of wondering what was up with that. I wasn't entirely fond of the notoriety system in this game, because of how easy it was to keep it low, so I didn't have to worry about guards coming after me as much. Overall, I don't consider it a terrible game (I still enjoyed it), but I don't really see it as being the best in the series as some may view it.

Looking at some of the posts here, I'm a little surprised many seem to view Brotherhood so poorly here. I was kind of under the impression many consider it one of the better games of the series.

DinoSteve1
06-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Ac4
ac2
ac
acb
acr
ac3

raytrek79
06-06-2014, 11:53 PM
I respect your choices, I can see how you would rank them that way.

Personally I agree with Brotherhood being first on my list, but it is because exploring Renaissance Rome was brilliant. And things like climbing the Colosseum gives amazing scale of the structure, great story and features, all round great job.

I put Revelations next, again I am judging mostly on the tourism aspect of the game, exploring this city and its atmosphere was a real privilege and they did it well. Then I'd place 2, Black Flag, the original then 3. 3 introduces some interesting potential, I hope they can figure out what works and what doesn't to make the series evolve into a near perfect culmination of aspects across the spectrum. I agree with you on the original; it is a great game and all but is rather dated now, in hindsight it looks like what Evil Dead was to Evil Dead 2, a really cheap promotion to get backing/big budget to do what they really wanted to do, like a prototype.

4 was a lot of fun but it does seem like a totally different direction, I suppose they just decided to get that "Aquila" idea out of the way, I expect sailing will not be too big a feature in any of the next games. 2 was the first one I played, so it has that virginity value and is what got me hooked. Another thing about Revelations was I found the bomb crafting idea interesting, I do like the idea of crafting things in general but I would like materials for non-consumables to be more challenging, I suppose 3 was a bit like that.

LieutenantRex
06-06-2014, 11:59 PM
1. AC4 - Probably my favorite AC game so far. I liked the story, Edward and his development, and many of the side characters. Sea ships were pretty neat too, even if they could be a little tedious at times. I liked the Caribbean setting as well, with the natural environments making things look lively. The combat was alright too, though with how the enemies were, it could be kind of predictable and repetitious at times. The system with the guns and blow darts feels like an improvement after my experience with them in the AC:L demo, which is good to see.

2. AC1 - I liked how guards were easier to alert if you're not careful, so there was a greater sense of danger. I also liked the combat felt like a challenge without feeling too dragged out. I also kind of liked you you were rewarded support groups like the scholars and vigilantes by rescuing civilians. Had things not been as repetitious, I might like it as equally as AC4.

3. ACR - The story was nice, and I did like getting to play as Altair again. The assassin guild system was also kind of neat too. I kind of liked how your notoriety increased when you bought and built property, which made me want to be more cautious and try harder to reduce it. It was kind of short though, and I didn't really do much of the side stuff. The combat was ok, though it could be kind of easy at times. I guess I rank it equally to AC2.

4. AC2 - This was my first AC game, and I think it's alright. The story was pretty nice, but the combat in the game irritated me with how dragged out battles with guards felt. I would just have to keep striking guards until they got worn out, and I couldn't tell if I didn't do a counter right or if it simply didn't work. AC1 was the second AC game I played, and when I noticed how the combat felt better than AC2's, I was kind of wondering what was up with that. I wasn't entirely fond of the notoriety system in this game, because of how easy it was to keep it low, so I didn't have to worry about guards coming after me as much. Overall, I don't consider it a terrible game (I still enjoyed it), but I don't really see it as being the best in the series as some may view it.

Looking at some of the posts here, I'm a little surprised many seem to view Brotherhood so poorly here. I was kind of under the impression many consider it one of the better games of the series.

It is the BEST AC game that captured open-world. People criticize its story, which I find idiotic, since it's just as stable as ACR's and AC2's. It had a crap ton of side content, and the side content was GOOD, something that the other games can't claim.

JustPlainQuirky
06-07-2014, 12:01 AM
AC: 2
AC: 4
AC: B
AC: 1
AC: 3
AC: R

...is what i would say if I was the general public. :rolleyes:

But I still need to play brotherhood and revelations :cool: