PDA

View Full Version : Me 109 vs. other planes.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 08:05 AM
Here:s some real info on how the 109 held up against other fighters....

By Gunter Rall in an interview.

His favorite Messerschmitt was the Bf109F-4. He said it could tangle with anything the enemy could put up and was the best of 109's, not too heavy etc.

Later on he mentioned that the Russian pilots weren't some dumb target drones, but gave them a real challenge to tangle with. Especially the Guards Regiment's were tough and proud opponents. As interesting side not he said that in the Southern Front VVS had more than 1/3 of their planes of lend-lease types like Spitfire, P39 etc.

When asked about 109 vs. enemy planes he answered that the most dangerous plane in the west was P51D. He had flown the captured planes, including P38, P47 and P51. P51 was according to the ace fast, good guns and long range with pretty good maneuverability. 109 could still hold it's own against it.

asked him what he thought of the matchup between late model 109's against those allied types he had flown.

He answered that the worst shortcoming in 109 was the limited range, but P-38 and P-47 did not pose that much of a problem. But the P-51 was more difficult, very comparable to Bf 109 in actual combat. But as he said, P-51 could do it for a few hours longer in a flight.

Of the P47 he mentioned that diving away from it was not preferable since the tremendous dive speed of P47 made it hard to get away from. It also had great structural strenght. About maneuverability he said the 109 had no problems staying with it in any move. As a joke he mentioned the best tactic against P47 was "to shoot it down". He also mentioned that P47's used to circle German bases and shoot down the 109's returning with low fuel and no ammo..Rall said a lot of pilots went down because of that. Enemy had superior number of planes and didn't lack fuel, pilots and such like LW did.

In Russian front Rall respected most the La5FN and La7. He said that especially the La7 was a very mighty opponent and both Lai-s could outspeed his G-6 with ease when he tried to chase them. About VVS he said that they learned very quick from the early war losses and later on came back in overwhelming numbers making the life of Jagdflieger pretty rough. Places Rall mentioned were Taman, Krymskaya, Kursk, Orel, Crimea, Sevastopol, Kerch etc.

Read the whole stoory
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/photoreports/guntherrall2003/

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 08:05 AM
Here:s some real info on how the 109 held up against other fighters....

By Gunter Rall in an interview.

His favorite Messerschmitt was the Bf109F-4. He said it could tangle with anything the enemy could put up and was the best of 109's, not too heavy etc.

Later on he mentioned that the Russian pilots weren't some dumb target drones, but gave them a real challenge to tangle with. Especially the Guards Regiment's were tough and proud opponents. As interesting side not he said that in the Southern Front VVS had more than 1/3 of their planes of lend-lease types like Spitfire, P39 etc.

When asked about 109 vs. enemy planes he answered that the most dangerous plane in the west was P51D. He had flown the captured planes, including P38, P47 and P51. P51 was according to the ace fast, good guns and long range with pretty good maneuverability. 109 could still hold it's own against it.

asked him what he thought of the matchup between late model 109's against those allied types he had flown.

He answered that the worst shortcoming in 109 was the limited range, but P-38 and P-47 did not pose that much of a problem. But the P-51 was more difficult, very comparable to Bf 109 in actual combat. But as he said, P-51 could do it for a few hours longer in a flight.

Of the P47 he mentioned that diving away from it was not preferable since the tremendous dive speed of P47 made it hard to get away from. It also had great structural strenght. About maneuverability he said the 109 had no problems staying with it in any move. As a joke he mentioned the best tactic against P47 was "to shoot it down". He also mentioned that P47's used to circle German bases and shoot down the 109's returning with low fuel and no ammo..Rall said a lot of pilots went down because of that. Enemy had superior number of planes and didn't lack fuel, pilots and such like LW did.

In Russian front Rall respected most the La5FN and La7. He said that especially the La7 was a very mighty opponent and both Lai-s could outspeed his G-6 with ease when he tried to chase them. About VVS he said that they learned very quick from the early war losses and later on came back in overwhelming numbers making the life of Jagdflieger pretty rough. Places Rall mentioned were Taman, Krymskaya, Kursk, Orel, Crimea, Sevastopol, Kerch etc.

Read the whole stoory
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/photoreports/guntherrall2003/

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 08:13 AM
cool stiff

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 08:18 AM
P-51 and La-7 the most feared opponents. That sounds about right. Good thread topic!

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 08:41 AM
Great read.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 06:39 PM
sounds about right, i havent seen a p51 online yet at ubi, iam new so have been there a few times so far... but i when i have been shot down it always has been a LA7, cant catch them in a run and cant outrun them ugghh... how do i get those planes? P47? blah, i have knocked 3 out of the sky i even have removed some 190s As and Ds... i mainly fly the F-4 or G-6AS... iam new so dont laugh at me or anything... iam learning...

Buzz_25th
10-07-2003, 06:49 PM
MGallun

You won't see the P-51 until it's released../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
25th_Buzz
<center>
http://www.vfa25.com/sigs/buzz.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 06:50 PM
great read,

I think if .50s stay the same in fb the p51d wont be competative much at all except with 109s, and oleg and crew dont seem to test individual planes against all the others is dogfights

and im sure oleg will model its full weight with drop tanks and how it manuevered full as empty with no drop tanks and 25% fuel. test the planes with the external drop tanks and drop the tank, they have the same climb roll and 2000 5000 8000 level alt tests with the tank and the same after you drop the tanks

http://www.freewebs.com/leadspitter/lead.txt
Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't. (c) Leadspitter