PDA

View Full Version : What I feel Assassins Creed Unity needs to have!!!

king-hailz
05-26-2014, 08:57 PM
So we know that assassins creed 4 borrowed a lot of features from far cry 3 and well it worked very very well... I personally think assassins creed needs to add to its progression.... They improved a lot in assassins creed 4... However I miss the feeling we got in AC1 and AC2 when we either got a new weapon like the double hidden blades or the hidden gun.. or when we learnt new skills.... so I really think we need a skill tree like they have in far cry 3. For example we are arno and we just become a master assassin and get our hidden blades, all we can do so far is assassinate the guards so after 10 kills with the hidden blade we get a skill point and with that we get to do a running assassination... then we can unlock a double running assassination and then air assassination and so on... I think this will be awesome and really add to the game... It will make the combat more rewarding and necessary which is what a lot of people had wanted... and then we can unlock certain weapons and abilities with new animations.... also they always reveal the new abilities but I miss the feeling I got with AC2... when we got the hidden gun... I was shocked I was like this is so awesome... that Is mainly because I didn't see any of the trailer or anything... I just wish the add something like that... what do you think???

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 09:14 PM
skill points remind me of level up systems and i hate those.

LoyalACFan
05-26-2014, 10:11 PM
skill points remind me of level up systems and i hate those.

Same, unless I'm playing a true RPG, and even then there aren't many of those that I really enjoy.

Progression really is something that AC games have handled quite badly though. Upgrading the Jackdaw was done pretty well, but upgrading Edward was lol-worthy. I'm not really sure how it can be fixed, but I know for sure that I don't want to have to unlock new skills (i.e. having to unlock double assassinations or something like you suggest OP). That, to me, just feels artificial, and it would discourage me from ever starting a new save file.

king-hailz
05-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Same, unless I'm playing a true RPG, and even then there aren't many of those that I really enjoy.

Progression really is something that AC games have handled quite badly though. Upgrading the Jackdaw was done pretty well, but upgrading Edward was lol-worthy. I'm not really sure how it can be fixed, but I know for sure that I don't want to have to unlock new skills (i.e. having to unlock double assassinations or something like you suggest OP). That, to me, just feels artificial, and it would discourage me from ever starting a new save file.

I actually agree with you... It would stop me from wanting to replay like AC3 did with haythams missions... so what do you think they could add to make player progression better... I even liked what they do with crafting... but since unity is built from the ground up who knows they might have changed it completely with different hidden blade abilities... like a mid air assassination or something.... Idk just trying to brainstorm..

Shahkulu101
05-26-2014, 10:30 PM
I like the idea of a Far Cry esque skill tree in design principle, but the fact that tattoos granted magical abilities was kind of silly - you can't stretch believability like that in an AC game. However, it could be as such: once you accomplish certain challenges set by his mentor, the Assassin gains experience and can visit his mentor to unlock be other, more advanced abilities.

oliacr
05-26-2014, 10:33 PM
I proposed an idea like this as well, but getting weapons and skills with skill points is not a good thing. Something new maybe.

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Tomb Raider handled skill points pretty well. Not sure if it would work in AC, it might be somewhat immersion-breaking, but then again, optional objectives are immersion-breaking too.

LoyalACFan
05-27-2014, 07:38 AM
I actually agree with you... It would stop me from wanting to replay like AC3 did with haythams missions... so what do you think they could add to make player progression better... I even liked what they do with crafting... but since unity is built from the ground up who knows they might have changed it completely with different hidden blade abilities... like a mid air assassination or something.... Idk just trying to brainstorm..

I don't know. I definitely feel like unlocking items (rather than abilities) is the way to go, but to be honest it's hard to figure out how to make a decent progression system when the games are already so damned easy. You can beat every AC game to 100% with the default weapons, NO problem whatsoever. Maybe the solution is to just unlock "new" stuff as opposed to "better" stuff. Just give us a bunch of unlockable stuff we can simply screw around with, i.e. a ton of new skins, weapon types (I'm talking melee weapons with new animation sets, not a bunch of useless ancillary tools like ACR and AC3), and minigames. It would all have to be unlocked via fun gameplay loops to feel adequate, but it might be a better alternative to force-feeding us a bunch of weapon "upgrades" that do nothing other than look slightly different and use the exact same animations.

Tomb Raider handled skill points pretty well. Not sure if it would work in AC, it might be somewhat immersion-breaking, but then again, optional objectives are immersion-breaking too.

And I want to get rid of those as well :p No sense adding more immersion-breaking stuff when we're trying to get rid of that which we've already got.

jayjay275
05-27-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't want anything skill-related or experience points to improve my gameplay..
I would like what we already have, just better...

Megas_Doux
05-27-2014, 03:03 PM
MORE HAYTHAMS, LESS BORGIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that, crouching and Infiltration like walking, platforming levels, social stealth based on HUGE crowds being implemented like Hitman and a more difficult combat, mainly.

Sushiglutton
05-27-2014, 04:20 PM
AC allready has an XP system. It's just that it's not called "XP", it's called "money" ;). When you do various activities you gather money which can be used to upgrade the stats of your character (aka purchase more powerful gear). In prinicpal there is no difference though. In AC4 there was also a couple of other currencies introduced (animal skins and resources) that were needed for some of the upgrades. Another progression system used is to unlock gear by moving forward in the campaign.

Now what you are saying is that some moves/techniques should be locked behind an XP system of some kind (skill tree). That could work, but I see a couple of potential issues. In a yearly franchise it would kind of suck to unlock the same moves over and over. I prefer to have stuff like double/running assassination and corner cover available from the get go. Also when you replay it would be tedious to unlock everything again (assuming there's no NG+). Finally the gameplay is fairly simplistic, so it's not easy to remove stuff.

Ofc combining your idea with a more complex combat system could be real cool!

Anyway the way I would change progression is to have less focus on grinding and more on finding unique items and performing unique tasks in the open-world. Aka a more Zelda-like approach. That would make exploration far more rewarding. It would also mean that you would value the stuff you found more imo. Shops should focus on ammo and other consumable resources instead.

EmptyCrustacean
05-28-2014, 05:05 PM
I like the idea of a Far Cry esque skill tree in design principle, but the fact that tattoos granted magical abilities was kind of silly - you can't stretch believability like that in an AC game. However, it could be as such: once you accomplish certain challenges set by his mentor, the Assassin gains experience and can visit his mentor to unlock be other, more advanced abilities.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that within the narrative context Jason earned those tattoos as a symbol his skill advancement rather than the tattoos "granting him magical abilities".

Landruner
05-31-2014, 06:07 AM
That is funny. but when I played the latest Tomb Raider I felt more playing an Assassin with Laura than any latest AC 'characters.

To the OP, I believe that progression and/or level up systems are the best and the most satisfactorily motivation than players can get while playing a game. I really did enjoy AC2 for this or still Far Cry 3 with the skill tree.
I also by the way felt more an assassin in far cry 3 than the assassin creed games or at least I try to play like one in just trying to only use my machete as much as I could and the option where available, I just fixing my own and personal challenges, and honestly, I wished that they could use that type of game play and the use of the progression system by unlocking skill for Edward in AC4.

king-hailz
05-31-2014, 08:43 AM
That is funny. but when I played the latest Tomb Raider I felt more playing an Assassin with Laura than any latest AC 'characters.

To the OP, I believe that progression and/or level up systems are the best and the most satisfactorily motivation than players can get while playing a game. I really did enjoy AC2 for this or still Far Cry 3 with the skill tree.
I also by the way felt more an assassin in far cry 3 than the assassin creed games or at least I try to play like one in just trying to only use my machete as much as I could and the option where available, I just fixing my own and personal challenges, and honestly, I wished that they could use that type of game play and the use of the progression system by unlocking skill for Edward in AC4.

Well somebody thinks it's a good idea! Anyways I still haven't played tomb raider. I guess that's next!