PDA

View Full Version : First time playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood [Thoughts & Critique]

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 06:38 PM
In my "just played Assassins creed for the first time and..." thread, some people suggested I post ongoing commentary of my thoughts of the games as I play them for the first time. However I had almost already beaten AC:2 when people suggested that. So now I've beaten it and am moving on to AC: Brotherhood. I'll just post my general thoughts of the experience here

For those who don't know I've only played AC:3 and AC:4 when I joined the forums and just recently beat AC:1 and AC:2. I am moving on to Brotherhood now and then Revelations. I don't have Liberation yet, though. And I need to re-purchase AC:3.

edit: ah dang it. for some reason it didn't save when I installed it last night. going to have to re-install. might take an hour or two. :(

edit: oh wait I got it

jayjay275
05-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Nice. Brotherhood is a quality follow up to AC2.

Just a funny quote (major spoiler to brotherhood though) :
Give me the apple! It's mine not yours!

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 06:48 PM
My favorite game. Curious to see how our experiences compare.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 06:53 PM
I entered my key code to uplay to get the game but in the extras mode it said to re-enter it to get access to exclusive content. but then it says my key is already used. is the exclusive content already unlocked then? :confused:

(I bought the deluxe edition. but I still have to use points to get costumes and weapons it seems)

edit: oh I see. the altair costume isn't part of the deluxe edition.

edit: oh i get it. it's 0 points to claim the stuff i got. oh snap. Aveline has exclusive connor dlc. awesome

I have 30 U play points guys. Should I use them on an Altair outfit for AC brotherhood? Or 2? Or should I use it on AC:3 when I get it? Or the Liberation DLC?

I want to have all the connor costumes (especially the aquila outfit) but I plan on getting the special edition on steam which I think includes it. If that's the case, i think i wanna save my points for the connor DLC in liberation. But what do u guys think? :v (im also getting the special edition of liberation)

oliacr
05-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Brotherhood was the reason I got into AC. I'm curious about your experiences. I think you gonna love it.

I have 30 U play points guys. Should I use them on an Altair outfit for AC brotherhood? Or 2? Or should I use it on AC:3 when I get it? Or the Liberation DLC?

I want to have all the connor costumes (especially the aquila outfit) but I plan on getting the special edition on steam which I think includes it. If that's the case, i think i wanna save my points for the connor DLC in liberation. But what do u guys think? :v (im also getting the special edition of liberation)
If you want to use it on AC3 then save it.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Alright I'm starting now :)

Aphex_Tim
05-26-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm interested to see what you think of the villains. It's kind of a sore subject on these forums... :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 07:12 PM
I don't like how they reuse gamplay clips in the recap instead of using new rendered cutscenes but that's a miiiiiinor complaint.

they changed it in AC3 tho

Sushiglutton
05-26-2014, 07:12 PM
I noticed you said in an other thread that you do a fairly straightforward playthrough of the campaign. That is not a good way to approach Brotherhood imo. AC:B's strength is in the side-content. They added tons of good stuff. Anyway I understand if you don't want to waste too much time, but I still suggest checking some of it out :)!

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 07:15 PM
Oh snap. Drops me right in the action.
omigosh almost missed the QTE

aaaaand now im in control

@sushi

so it's like Majora's mask then?

Maybe in the second playthrough then.

Megas_Doux
05-26-2014, 07:18 PM
My LEAST favorite !!!!!!

Curious to see how do you fare.

Hans684
05-26-2014, 07:18 PM
I noticed you said in an other thread that you do a fairly straightforward playthrough of the campaign. That is not a good way to approach Brotherhood imo. AC:B's strength is in the side-content. They added tons of good stuff. Anyway I understand if you don't want to waste too much time, but I still suggest checking some of it out :)!

It's long to we get Unity in our hands, Mayrice can waste as much time as needed.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Don't know if I'm crazy but I think the graphics have been improved in this one over AC: 2.

But I could just be crazy and it could just be the lighting...

oh my. the healthbars of enemies decreased. a thousand times yes.

though i dunno if they'll increase

edit; ok combat is much easier so far

edit 2: I saw a dude on a horse. Horses can finally be used in cities??? :D

edit 3: AW SNAP TITLE SHOWED UP YE-YUH. Weird how mario was like "its ur choice to do what u want with the apple" *half a second later* "give it to me. ur taking too long to think"

edit 4: YUS! can bring horses into the city finally :D

edit 5: characters still hover/slide when walking up stairs but most games tend to do that. I wish more games would take the time like Wind Waker and L.A. Noire and actually put step ascending/descending animations. minor minor minor complaint.

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Yes, the graphics are slightly improved over AC2. A small but significant improvement, I'd say.

Yes, horses can be used in cities. They're kind of a pain though since there's so many narrow streets. And horses can't go into full gallop in ACB, except for a few special missions.

edit 3: AW SNAP TITLE SHOWED UP YE-YUH. Weird how mario was like "its ur choice to do what u want with the apple" *half a second later* "give it to me. ur taking too long to think"

LOL

Edit: AC3 was the first game in the series with proper stair-climbing animations.

Aphex_Tim
05-26-2014, 07:35 PM
I wish more games would take the time like Wind Waker and L.A. Noire and actually put step ascending/descending animations. minor minor minor complaint.

Though..Wind Waker didn't really have that either....?

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Strange how Ezio starts off with all his upgrades and full health. Makes me wonder if he'll upgrade much or if the game will just add a bunch of 'exotic' missions in it's place

@aphex

no it had it. if you stand on two different stairs link will have his knee up on one and down on the other. and he'll walk up properly.

edit: canon tutorial? oh my. big battle incoming.

GunnerGalactico
05-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Strange how Ezio starts off with all his upgrades and full health. Makes me wonder if he'll upgrade much or if the game will just add a bunch of 'exotic' missions in it's place

@aphex

no it had it. if you stand on two different stairs link will have his knee up on one and down on the other. and he'll walk up properly.

edit: canon tutorial? oh my. big battle incoming.

Have fun :p

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Just noticed ezio only has one glove on.

wow. in the tutorial and i already managed to de-synch cuz i felll off a building. im an idiot.

@gunner

thanks

edit:

*guy says he lost horse*

*horse standing infront of him idle until i approach it*

jayjay275
05-26-2014, 07:44 PM
You suck!

:D

The side content in brotherhood is really good, probably the strongest in the series. So you should ensure you get time to play that.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Ezio being such a playboy. lol.

edit: cathrine looks nice. more flashbacks tho.

edit: i do find it weird ezio assassinated some seemingly harmless men but didnt assassinate the pope.

Shahkulu101
05-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Ezio being such a playboy. lol.

edit: cathrine looks nice. more flashbacks tho.

Helps 'er wif the flowers cause 'e wants a go at 'er flower

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 07:53 PM
smex scene? didnt expect that.

edit: CANONS. DIDNT EXPECT THAT

so thats how they make him lose his upgrades

edit: lol already encountered my first glitch. assassinated an invisible guy and a guy 5 feet away died.

edit: WOO CEASARE DUDE lol

I-Like-Pie45
05-26-2014, 08:00 PM
its just like metroid prime

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 08:02 PM
@ilikepie

it actually kind of is. I have the collectors edition trilogy. still need to beat it tho :3

edit: and there goes Mario

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Everyone else seems to hate Cesare, but I like him. He's just such a Disney villain with a cool voice, lol. His sister ain't half-bad either. :nonchalance:

I-Like-Pie45
05-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Do you ship them together in fanfics, SK

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 08:15 PM
I like Ceasare too. He's just laughably evil. XD

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Do you ship them together in fanfics, SK

I don't have to, the game ships them for me.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Oh god the audio is out of sync. finished sequence 1

lol desmond pregnant

Shahkulu101
05-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Everyone else seems to hate Cesare, but I like him. He's just such a Disney villain with a cool voice, lol. His sister ain't half-bad either. :nonchalance:

And therein lies the problem.

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 08:22 PM
lol desmond pregnant

Wut?

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 08:23 PM
And therein lies the problem.

So was Vidic, and nobody seems to hate him.

Megas_Doux
Wut?

I suppose it is about the joke about widen the animus due to desmond extra baggage haha.

JustPlainQuirky
@sixkeys

shaun joked that desmond might be pregnant and thats why the animus is acting wonky or something

edit: what megas said

Shahkulu101
05-26-2014, 08:27 PM

He's a MD character nobody cares

Megas_Doux
05-26-2014, 08:33 PM

Other than the already stated the one sided character of Cesare, his voice is UTTERLY annoying, mostly when he yeals GUARDS.........

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 08:40 PM
That Altair Statue looks sooo awesome.

Altair is starting to be a fav of mine.

Assassin_M
05-26-2014, 08:40 PM
I suppose it is about the joke about widen the animus due to desmond extra baggage haha.
Vidic was actually intelligent and capable of deep philosophic discussions, sixkeys...

Vidic was more interesting drinking his coffee than Cesare was during his entire time in ACB

Shahkulu101
05-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Vidic was actually intelligent and capable of deep philosophic discussions, sixkeys...

Vidic was more interesting drinking his coffee than Cesare was during his entire time in ACB

+1

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 08:46 PM
finished another modern day segment. was sooo boring but Shaun made it somewhat amusing.

Snark is always welcome in AC.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Are there alternate costumes in-game like in AC:2 where there was Altair's Armor?

edit: and my question got answered 2 minutes later. lol

Megas_Doux
05-26-2014, 08:54 PM
If my memory does not betray me, there are some old outfits available through uplay such as Ezio┤s noble outfit, Altair┤s armor and desmond┤s skin. Plus the dyes and some DLC exclusive like the german armour.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 09:11 PM
omigosh there's a Raiden outfit. whhyyy

GunnerGalactico
05-26-2014, 09:26 PM
omigosh there's a Raiden outfit. whhyyy

Raiden outfit?

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 09:29 PM
the main character from Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

it's super silly.

Raiden looks too silly in context of his franchise for me to take seriously. despite the franchise already being somewhat silly. and here it's a thousand times sillier.

Shahkulu101
05-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Yeah why and how was Raiden in the game and the first place? It just seems so odd, but it's still cool - I just don't get it.

Anyone know the trivia behind it?

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Well Darby is a huge MGS fan according to his twitter posts. That might have something to do with it.

Took a break from the game a bit to catch up on Narutoforums and homework and chores. Starting again soon.

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Darby didn't have anything to do with ACB. The Raiden outfit was there because the creator of MGS is a big AC fan apparently, and there was an Alta´r outfit in one of the MGS games. So they kind of did like a tribute to each other.

The ultimate armor in ACB is the fugliest reward ever, just a fair warning. Good thing the lairs themselves are fun, or else getting it would feel like a punishment.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMd17KbAjzc

There's another Metal Gear reference in ACB too, see if you can spot it. (Hint: It involves a familiar character.)

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Seeing someone wearing that + using a gun is hilarious

ze_topazio
05-27-2014, 12:00 AM
There's another Metal Gear reference in ACB too, see if you can spot it. (Hint: It involves a familiar character.)

That one is mandatory so kind of hard to miss.

And there's this easter egg in Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAv2NdspPRw

JustPlainQuirky
05-27-2014, 12:04 AM
lolololol seems legit

Locopells
05-27-2014, 12:52 AM
Yes, horses can be used in cities. They're kind of a pain though since there's so many narrow streets. And horses can't go into full gallop in ACB, except for a few special missions.

Edit: AC3 was the first game in the series with proper stair-climbing animations.

Supposedly you can gallop if you have a SSD. And yeah the animations in ACIII came about as part of the whole need to be able to have a proper fight on a slope.

edit: CANONS. DIDNT EXPECT THAT

so thats how they make him lose his upgrades

So how much upgrading of the Villa in ACII did you do?!

finished another modern day segment. was sooo boring but Shaun made it somewhat amusing.

Snark is always welcome in AC.

Shaun is at his height in this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAv2NdspPRw

Hah!

ACB is probably my favourite out of the early games. Best thing is going historical locations such as the Villa in modern day sections - I get kinda sad looking at the Villa and thinking about the old days...

JustPlainQuirky
05-27-2014, 12:59 AM
@locopells

absolutley none :rolleyes:

Locopells
05-27-2014, 01:17 AM
The rage reaction when the destruction of the villa was shown at E3 were hilarious...

SixKeys
05-27-2014, 01:25 AM
That one is mandatory so kind of hard to miss.

I missed it the first time because I was distracted. Would have missed it on my second playthrough too if I hadn't learned about MGS in the meantime. :p

Dev_Anj
05-27-2014, 02:10 AM
Ah, so you're onto this game. I replayed it recently and what stuck out the most to me was how bad the mission design felt. Thankfully, the Brotherhood feature(you'll see it for yourself) allows you to deal more easily with some frustrating situations.

Also, ignore trying to get 100% synch to better enjoy the game.

JustPlainQuirky
05-27-2014, 02:27 AM
@locopels

is there a video on youtube of it? :rolleyes:

@dev_anj

will do :o

Farlander1991
05-27-2014, 05:22 AM

Those stair-climbing animations are also the worst animations in the whole game (and AC4 as well). Well, it doesn't look as bad for the main characters due to the angle, but when you see NPCs (especially ladies with dresses) skipping three-four steps on stairs, it looks just ugly.

Markaccus
05-27-2014, 09:54 AM
favorite game, favorite villain (i don't care what anyone says about his voice and supposed disney-esque style). The guy was a nutcase in real life and they focussed on that in the game. it works for me and many others. The brotherhood idea was implemented well in this game (it went a little too far in revs, although the master assassin missions were good). Side content is much more fun than in ac2. DO AS MUCH OF EVERYTHING AS YOU CAN! IT'S WORTH IT IMHO!!

Locopells
05-27-2014, 10:14 AM
is there a video on youtube of it? :rolleyes:

No, it was mostly in the comments underneath the video of the E3 demo, when they put it on (I can't find the exact one any more).