PDA

View Full Version : Integrity diminished?? Should we trust the AC Unity we see at E3?

projectpat06
05-26-2014, 02:30 AM
By and large, Ubisoft continues to produce excellent gaming franchises that continues to appeal to a wide array of audiences from around the world. I personally look forward to a new Assassin's Creed game every year solely because of the third person, open-world, action-adventure aspect set in different periods of history. Sure I think there could be some improvements in gameplay to keep it from getting repetitive (namely unlimited, diverse random events) that we still have not seen. The story presentation could also be enhanced, but the games are still solid.

That being said, it seems year after year, we get incredible E3 footage that somehow gets downgraded one way or another by the time the game ships. Over time, I feel like this can diminish a company's integrity as people will say, "That AC Unity footage today at E3 looked incredible! Too bad the world will probably feel less alive and crowded with a bunch of elements cut out..."

A simple example was Edward Kenway's blending animation(s) that got scrapped before the game shipped.

So what are your thoughts? I am still personally excited to AC Unity at E3, but I cannot help to be a bit skeptical of the footage we will see.

Jexx21
05-26-2014, 02:47 AM
his blending animations are still there, what isn't, is the dialogue shown in the blending

LoyalACFan
05-26-2014, 02:52 AM
I think we can trust the major new gameplay aspects to be true to the final product, but we should be very wary of things that seem overly scripted. I knew those blending animations would be cut the first time I watched that demo; that's something that's simply too context-dependent to be integrated into gameplay. Also, mission design can be totally falsified for the sake of one demo (AC2 and AC3 were guilty of this), which isn't necessarily a bad thing since it avoids spoilers, but we just need to keep our eyes peeled for elements that seem to be added for the sake of embellishment.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 02:52 AM
As a person who originated from Nintendo gaming, I couldn't care less about the graphical performance.

I'm actually hoping it's not that good so it can run smoothly on my low-end PC. (at least until I purchase a high-end one)

As long as gameplay opportunities aren't cut, I'm fine.

Hassassiyin
05-26-2014, 04:49 AM
I dont trust the E3 footages since AC3.
Remember when Connor infiltrated the fort in the Frontier,
to assassinate Cylus? It went slow-mo, you could hear an epic howl
and it had AMAZING Animus effects when he killed Cylus.

I understand that some things cant make it into the final version, but
come on. Its starting to get obvious how they make the E3 footages
epic for presentation and then downgrade it into something dull.
Same with Watch Dogs.

I dont necessarily care about graphics, but show us something that
is close to the final version, instead of using tricks to have people run to
gamestores to pre-order the game, so that Ubisoft can brag how they're
newest game is the most pre-ordered game in the companies history.

Also, regarding the blending dialogues in E3 Black Flag footage,
they did the exact same thing with AC2.
The E3 demo started with Ezio on a bench.
The guy sitting next to him tells him that Leonardo's flying machine
is ready, before stabbing a guard who recognized him.

After stabbing Carlo Grimaldi everythin went slow-mo and the buildings
collapsed with AMAZING Animus effects.
IIRC AC2 final version also had those Animus effects (where the world
breaks down) but less epic than the one from the E3 demo.

Fatal-Feit
05-26-2014, 06:05 AM
The most accurate we've gotten in terms of gameplay delivered from an E3 demo was AC:B and AC:R. Oh, and Watch_Dogs.

AC:2 and AC:IV are the worse offenders, IMO

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-26-2014, 06:17 AM
Never got to watch the E3 AC3 gameplay so I had a chance to watch it....

And yes I know I'm late, but I had taken a break after AC2 for work/school and such, and then got introduced to AC3...

Why didn't it look that awesome when the game was released?!?!

Not cool, Ubi, Not cool.

Fatal-Feit
05-26-2014, 06:41 AM
Never got to watch the E3 AC3 gameplay so I had a chance to watch it....

And yes I know I'm late, but I had taken a break after AC2 for work/school and such, and then got introduced to AC3...

Why didn't it look that awesome when the game was released?!?!

Not cool, Ubi, Not cool.

Which demo are you guys talking about? From graphics to gameplay, AC:3 hit most the markers for me. I must have missed a demo or something.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-26-2014, 06:53 AM
Which demo are you guys talking about? From graphics to gameplay, AC:3 hit most the markers for me. I must have missed a demo or something.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZrklEy9ohQ

I wasn't saying that everything was taken out before the game release; I thought it got most of the stuff right as well, and it still looked good with items removed. More like why did they not include something like that Silas mission int he game itself.

Fatal-Feit
05-26-2014, 07:05 AM
Enjoy:

I wasn't saying that everything was taken out before the game release; I thought it got most of the stuff right as well, and it still looked good with items removed. More like why did they not include something like that Silas mission int he game itself.

Oh, that one. My disappointment was that AC:3 didn't allow for that much freedom. Speaking of which, AC:3 was the only one with a demo that had worse graphics than in the main game.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-26-2014, 07:11 AM
Oh, that one. My disappointed was that AC:3 didn't allow for that much freedom. Speaking of which, AC:3 was the only one with a demo that had worse graphics than in the main game.

Yeah, which one can assume it was still a work in progress.

Locopells
05-26-2014, 10:51 AM
The most accurate we've gotten in terms of gameplay delivered from an E3 demo was AC:B and AC:R. Oh, and Watch_Dogs.

AC:2 and AC:IV are the worse offenders, IMO

What was ACI like - was it just that very early demo?

RinoTheBouncer
05-26-2014, 11:48 AM
I agree with the OP. Most games these days including Ubisoft’s promote really great graphics in screenshots and trailers while the final product turns out to be a downgraded version. They either take screenshots from computer versions or they make them really well planned close-ups that show details and good quality, while in reality, the camera is really far from the Assassin and you can’t see any of the details they’re showing, not to mention the cheaply made plants and hair and the robes and gadgets that go through each other.

All that aside, ACIV CGI trailer showed a completely different personality for Edward than what we’ve got in the game. He was more of a womanizer, dark killer, ruthless and determined, while in the final product, he was a much nicer person not to mention being a weak and a broken man on the inside. I love the version of the final cut of the game but why promote something then change it?

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 01:44 PM
All that aside, ACIV CGI trailer showed a completely different personality for Edward than what we’ve got in the game. He was more of a womanizer, dark killer, ruthless and determined, while in the final product, he was a much nicer person not to mention being a weak and a broken man on the inside. I love the version of the final cut of the game but why promote something then change it?

The game didn't "change" Edward's personality, it's the marketing department that deliberately changed his portrayal in the trailers. Because they thought showing another Ezio-like character would sell better, probably.

IMO the demo for AC4 was the closest to the final product. The only thing they changed was the blending animations. Otherwise that exact mission was in the game and the graphics and AI were representative of the final product. I guess they learned from AC3's mistakes, after the 2012 E3 demo showed us a lively camp with random events (lawl :rolleyes: ), wolf attacks that you could dodge and a less telepathic AI.

oliacr
05-26-2014, 02:38 PM
I didn't trust in the sneak peek either so why should I trust in E3? E3 is not always the same as the final game. Some things change, they must cut something out, they must put something in. I didn't like AC4's E3 footage because it was very similar to AC3 but when they released a game footage presented by Ashraf Ismail that was beast. Anyways I like E3 so waiting it.

jayjay275
05-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Looking at E3 2012 Watch Dogs and comparing it to the footage now, along with E3 2012 AC3 to the final product, then I think it's safe to say no. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't enjoy it.

Sushiglutton
05-26-2014, 04:16 PM
I thought the marketing for AC4 was fine. Sure they removed some minor feature from the E3 demo, but that's ok I think.

They tried to market AC4 as a HBO-like take on the pirate era (Ashraf said something along those lines). I think that's why they added the girls to the CGI trailer. It was a bit weird (AC4 didn't feel like an HBO drama at all), but I don't feel too deceived.

projectpat06
05-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZrklEy9ohQ

I understand the silas thing as he comes into the game much earlier before assassinated. The problem was the little stuff. Deer did not roam in packs like that. There was only one buck in the entire map....one. You couldn't dodge a wolf like he did. It was the exact same quick time animation over and over again. That camp was not as populated or alive. The events weren't just random were people would come to you to ask for help. It was a marker on the map which made it seem less organic.

And the biggest let down was we never saw patriots heading to fight red coats or any small battles throughout the frontier. It was just patrols walking around with everyone wanting to fight Connor. This most likely came from the fans complaining about Connor being pro American. All the Brits had their panties in a wad

Locopells
05-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Not just the Brits, but I'll let that go...

GunnerGalactico
05-26-2014, 04:47 PM
I understand the silas thing as he comes into the game much earlier before assassinated. The problem was the little stuff. Deer did not roam in packs like that. There was only one buck in the entire map....one. You couldn't dodge a wolf like he did. It was the exact same quick time animation over and over again. That camp was not as populated or alive. The events weren't just random were people would come to you to ask for help. It was a marker on the map which made it seem less organic.

And the biggest let down was we never saw patriots heading to fight red coats or any small battles throughout the frontier. It was just patrols walking around with everyone wanting to fight Connor.

It was a bit of a disappointment when they changed and removed most of the things you mentioned. Just wish they could've have spent more time polishing the game.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-26-2014, 05:00 PM

And the biggest let down was we never saw patriots heading to fight red coats or any small battles throughout the frontier. It was just patrols walking around with everyone wanting to fight Connor. This most likely came from the fans complaining about Connor being pro American. All the Brits had their panties in a wad

Yep, very disappointed at that. I just don't want Ubi to have their fans lost trust in them if they're advertising things that isn't in the final product.

jayjay275
05-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Yup. I just watched their AC2 one, and it looks so much better than the final product.

Hans684
05-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Didn't Shade say that it is only to show the game? Anyway, do we need a tinfoil hats at this thread?

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Didn't Shade say that it is only to show the game? Anyway, do we need a tinfoil hats at this thread?

When did he say that?

I-Like-Pie45
05-26-2014, 05:24 PM
a lot of e3 showings are different from their final counterparts

ubi aren't the only people guilty of this

see:

bioshock infinite e3 demos

Megas_Doux
05-26-2014, 05:25 PM
I´ll take everything with a grain of salt.

deskp
05-26-2014, 05:25 PM
i've never had any problem with their demos, I mean some of them are mroe like scrpted trailers, showing off the game in a specific way. I think we should be educated enough by now to work out the demos.

Either way there will be enough footage and coverage on the game before release for you to make up your mind if you want the final product or not.

the situation with the graphics in the watch dogs reveal is quite soemthing different, due to the fact that it was way too early in the 'next gen' cycle and the game was super early aswell, the devs themselves didnt know quite what they would be able to. With ACU they have less than 6 months from E3 till release, instead of 2 years like watch_dogs had, so not much can change.

Just enjoy the show! ;)

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-26-2014, 05:35 PM
I´ll take everything with a grain of salt.

Ditto.

Hans684
05-26-2014, 05:41 PM
When did he say that?

I'm not going to dig up an old quote, ask Shade to say it again.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-26-2014, 06:00 PM
If I'm being honest AC3 was not AT ALL how I envisioned it after seeing gameplay and trailers.. that being said I still wasn't disappointed in the game.. just a little sad that things weren't as brutal or savage as I envisioned them...
AC IV on the otherhand really let me down....
AC IV trailers were selling story more than anything..this was the weakest part of the entire game.. i felt no connection to edward at all.... i didn't become the character like i so easily did with altair, ezio, and connor...
I was much more pleased with the map though than the vibe i got from trailers... I was expecting Assassins Creed skyrim lol

jayjay275
05-26-2014, 06:36 PM
What Shade actually said, is that the demos aren't final representatives of what the product will be (to my knowledge that is).

deskp
05-26-2014, 06:54 PM
thats how all video games are, anything can change before it's done.

jayjay275
05-26-2014, 06:57 PM
thats how all video games are, anything can change before it's done.

Like? :P

deskp
05-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Like? :P

like something could break and the parkour would stop working as it should, then they'd either have to delay to fix it, or launch the game without it. that would be an extreme break, but the idea is jsut cause something works 1 year/6months before launch does not mean it still does later on.

games are complicated things to make.

jsut look at ac4 they didnt know they could make the ps4 version 1080p uintill nearly after release, now that was a positive change they ended up being able to make, sometimes its nagetive chanegs they have to make. Like the slowness of the weapon wheel in ac3, supposedly that wasnt always so slow, but they ended up having to make it slow for some reason.

jayjay275
05-26-2014, 07:32 PM
So much like watch dogs. :D Except it is 900p, still. ._.

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Don't forget manual crouching, which was in AC4 up until only a month before release or so. They removed it at the last minute because some playtesters failed to realize that crouching didn't make them completely invisible to enemies. :rolleyes:

deskp
05-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Don't forget manual crouching, which was in AC4 up until only a month before release or so. They removed it at the last minute because some playtesters failed to realize that crouching didn't make them completely invisible to enemies. :rolleyes:

really? that sucks, do you have a sourcce for it? i thought at e3 they said the crouching was autmatice for a littlebit after you excited tall grass things.

Is the crouching manual or automatic in watch dogs? either way it looks like it works well.

Maybe they saved cruching for Unity, so it would have another THING to add to their lsit of new features.

Sushiglutton
05-26-2014, 08:18 PM

Actually it was a bit more complicated than that :).

DARBY: We miss it too... BUT making a crouch mechanic is not as easy as adding a button and a few animations. It has to be a full system with clear and understandable feedback. And we learned that when we put the crouch in for a few months that it was actually leading to more frustration than fun due to the way our AI detection works -- it draws a line from the guards head to Edward's head. If there is nothing blocking this line, then the guard can see Edward. So often times players would be crouched behind a wall, with just a bit of Eds head sticking up over the rim... and a guard would see them. This made the player angry, because they FELT they should be hidden. This would have required us to redesign the heights of everything in the game.... which would have been a massive undertaking... something we would have to have planned from the start.

https://acinitiates.com/forum/discussion/3904/page/10

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 08:20 PM
really? that sucks, do you have a sourcce for it? i thought at e3 they said the crouching was autmatice for a littlebit after you excited tall grass things.

The devs talked about it in a Reddit AMA:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pz0j2/iama_developer_on_assassins_creed_iv_black_flag/

"Q: What happened to the crouching when coming out of stalking zones? It looked really cool and I haven't seen it in game yet. Stealth is still really enjoyable though.

Ashraf Ismail: We removed the crouching coming out of stalking zones cause there were too many bugs with it. Everytime we fixed something, other things would break. The world is built off of really tight metrics, the crouch metrics were added in too late and it caused a lot of bugs. We made the decision to remove it cause it wasnt going to be solid enough.

Darby McDevitt: Ash told me one story about some crouch tests... he was crouched behind a wall, and FELT like he should be hidden... but because our line-of-sight stuff works by drawing a line between Edward's head and enemy's heads, he was spotted anyway because a bit of his forehead was peeking over the wall... so he felt like he should be hidden, but everyone could still see him. Obviously it would take an enormous amount of work to change the wall heights (since they are built for parkouring) and to change how detection works, so we removed crouch... so sad... "

Sushiglutton
05-26-2014, 08:25 PM
SixKey you don't honestly think they should have kept it in that state? I completely agree with the playtesters/devs. If you can be spotted when crouching behind a wall then the crouch did more harm than good.

Megas_Doux
05-26-2014, 08:29 PM
May be for Unity!

After all there is been this recurrent rumour about the whole navigation/parkour system being updated.

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 11:07 PM
SixKey you don't honestly think they should have kept it in that state? I completely agree with the playtesters/devs. If you can be spotted when crouching behind a wall then the crouch did more harm than good.

Of course if it was broken they shouldn't have kept it. I really don't care about a crouch button myself, so it never bothered me. But if they can fix it in future games, they should try putting it back in since so many people (including non-fans) have been requesting it.

ze_topazio
05-27-2014, 12:42 AM
You people are always talking about immersion, crouching even if useless would at least help with the immersion thing, you don't want me to believe all assassins infiltrate places standing like some idiota.

LoyalACFan
05-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the "crouching when exiting stalking zones" thing. TBH I'm glad they removed it, it looked stupid as hell IMO. I think there should be a manual crouch for hiding behind short cover, but crouch-walking in a gigantic open space is pointless. If there's someone looking that way, they're going to see you whether you're crouching or not, so why slink around like a wannabe Solid Snake?

projectpat06
05-28-2014, 04:37 AM
I rest my case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_A6Z3gkXlk

Dev_Anj
05-28-2014, 05:11 AM
Well, almost every company ends up changing the game a lot from what is demoed initially. Even Naughty Dog admitted to scripting Ellie for their E3 demo of The Last Of Us.

Shahkulu101
05-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Naughty Dog actually scripted a lot in that demo, the AI was great in the final game but no where near as good as first shown - enemy archetypes without weapons wouldn't ambush you in the final game, for instance. I'm not a fan of these 'vertical slices' of gameplay but I understand that the devs WANT to achieve that level of quality, it's just a case of whether they meet their targets or not. I don't think their intentionally deceitful, had there been more development time given to AC3 then the game would have more closely resembled E3.

Assassin_M
05-28-2014, 08:57 AM
I rest my case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_A6Z3gkXlk
impossible to fairly and properly replicate this and here's why..

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/882870-it-s-not-possible-to-replicate-the-E3-2012-demo

There was definitely a downgrade but nothing too drastic..just the explosion effect getting smaller and the umbrellas being removed from the tables

Farlander1991
05-28-2014, 09:21 AM
One thing about demos: they will almost always be scripted. Because their goal is to showcase certain features, an to do that properly the environment has to be controlled.

The problem arises from the fact that since games are in development during those demos, a lot is shown in a 'our plans and expectation' way. Here's the thing though: **** happens. Game development is complicated by all manners of unforeseeable crap. So things may not necessarily get finished as showcased/intended.

Speaking of AC3, it's not like a lot of those features are ACTUALLY absent from the game. NPCs still do ****tons of things in the world (even though the camp has got even more things), NPCs still approach you to give sidequests (a bunch of Liberation missions), etc.

And speaking of Watch_Dogs, if you look at the second half of comparison between demo/release (which happen during closer circumstances), you'll notice that the biggest difference is the way shadows work, mostly. Which DOES provide a noticeable difference, but a lot of things are close. But shadows are a REAL pain in the ***, especially when it concerns a cross-gen release (that, when released on PCs, you don't want people to buy two sets of top-notch videocards for one machine to be able to play).

EDIT: Also, the fog. Which is also incredibly power-consuming.

Megas_Doux
05-28-2014, 01:56 PM
One thing about demos: they will almost always be scripted. Because their goal is to showcase certain features, an to do that properly the environment has to be controlled.

The problem arises from the fact that since games are in development during those demos, a lot is shown in a 'our plans and expectation' way. Here's the thing though: **** happens. Game development is complicated by all manners of unforeseeable crap. So things may not necessarily get finished as showcased/intended.

I will take everything I see with a grain of salt, mostly in the NPC´s interaction department. If there is something that almost All the AC demos have had that the final dont is how "vocal" they are in E3 and yet silent ended up being.

In AC II while you are sitting on the bench, in AC III when the lady distracts the guards or when the captain begs for his life. Then in AC IV where Edward talks with the NPC´s while blending.....

Farlander1991
05-28-2014, 02:15 PM
In AC II while you are sitting on the bench, in AC III when the lady distracts the guards or when the captain begs for his life. Then in AC IV where Edward talks with the NPC´s while blending....

In ACII those were allies that gave the mission, so don't think that counts.
In ACIII, don't the guards we interrogate beg for their life as well? I don't remember.
ACIV - yeah. But that kind of system is a lot harder to implement than it looks, my guess is that stuff would happen like Edward flirting with men (and calling them 'lass'), for example. I.e. too many variables that weren't foreseen. It may seem like a little thing, these animations and lines of dialogue for blending, but it's kinda hard.

Megas_Doux
05-28-2014, 02:28 PM
I know is hard to implement, that is why, in regards to those "small" things here and there, I will remain skeptical.

SixKeys
05-28-2014, 03:19 PM
In ACII those were allies that gave the mission, so don't think that counts.
In ACIII, don't the guards we interrogate beg for their life as well? I don't remember.
ACIV - yeah. But that kind of system is a lot harder to implement than it looks, my guess is that stuff would happen like Edward flirting with men (and calling them 'lass'), for example. I.e. too many variables that weren't foreseen. It may seem like a little thing, these animations and lines of dialogue for blending, but it's kinda hard.

Then they shouldn't misrepresent the game by putting those things in the demo.

Unforeseen glitches like the reason they ended up removing crouch in AC4 are understandable, but if you promise the same thing demo after demo after demo for several games in a row and still fail to deliver? (Random events, realistic crowd interaction etc...) I'm going to believe you're being dishonest on purpose.

Ureh
05-28-2014, 05:07 PM
his blending animations are still there, what isn't, is the dialogue shown in the blending

The only one I've seen so far - on the ps3 version - is the drunken pirate blend. Where can I find the others? :cool:

The game didn't "change" Edward's personality, it's the marketing department that deliberately changed his portrayal in the trailers. Because they thought showing another Ezio-like character would sell better, probably.

Yeah I did kinda like how they also explain that Abstergo rigged the trailer footage to make him look more appealing to an audience.

jayjay275
05-28-2014, 06:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkc4IoMb70

Watch at 2: 05, what ever happened to those animations in BF? We had them in AC3 and they were great...

Sushiglutton
05-28-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm one of the whiniest persons in the known universe and even I think the marketing for AC4 was perfectly fine :D. It's really a couple of minor details that didn't make it. I mean come on, I think Ubi deserves a bit of a break in this case.

jayjay275
05-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Indeed.

projectpat06
05-29-2014, 03:55 AM
impossible to fairly and properly replicate this and here's why..

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/882870-it-s-not-possible-to-replicate-the-E3-2012-demo

There was definitely a downgrade but nothing too drastic..just the explosion effect getting smaller and the umbrellas being removed from the tables

The game still looks great. There's a big change in lighting and shadows. I also like the original camera view being further away from pearce

Landruner
05-31-2014, 05:43 AM
As far as I know for being (somewhat) implicated in this type of event, well the curtain have to fall in order to revealing the trick - I would say NO! since those E3 demos are made by some studio apart and only make for promotional purpose and most of the time they do not reflect the final product. Those demo are build on trail as a single and scripted video footage and the person that demonstrates during the show is actually acting playing it - In short you can't actually play those demos as a player since they are scripted.
Look at the AC3 and AC4 demos - The E3 demo of AC4 was supposedly running onto a PlayStation 4 which was not true, it was running onto a PC like most of the demos for the show (They are loaded by order of the different apparition of the show), and for AC4/PS4 they even had a problem while the 2013 E3 demonstration that revealed that the guy was not really playing the demo but just faking playing.

Ureh
05-31-2014, 06:09 AM
o.O I didn't know they were only pretending to play the demos. Can you prove it?

Landruner
05-31-2014, 06:34 AM
o.O I didn't know they were only pretending to play the demos. Can you prove it?

Well, you can already go to Youtube and watch the video of E3 AC4/PS4 what I described above, I am sure you have a roaming video there about it, (The demo of Charleston with Edward blending and blabla...) for the rest you may go to E3 and try to see by yourself, that will be perhaps the best convincing option for you?

m4r-k7
05-31-2014, 12:36 PM
To be honest the only game that I can truly say got downgraded (in terms of visuals) was Watch Dogs. All the AC games turned out just as good (or better) in the real game. So when people say Ubisoft downgrade games, I think thats unfair as it was only Watch Dogs. AC 3 looked better on console, AC 4 looked identical along with all the rest. Im so hyped for Unity and as its coming out this year, we won't get a downgraded copy. The problem with Watch Dogs was that it was in Alpha state in E3 2012 and it was no where near completion. With Unity I think it will be different. They probably have nearly finished the game, especially as it has been in development by 10 studios over nearly 3 years.

SixKeys
05-31-2014, 04:13 PM
As far as I know for being (somewhat) implicated in this type of event, well the curtain have to fall in order to revealing the trick - I would say NO! since those E3 demos are made by some studio apart and only make for promotional purpose and most of the time they do not reflect the final product. Those demo are build on trail as a single and scripted video footage and the person that demonstrates during the show is actually acting playing it - In short you can't actually play those demos as a player since they are scripted.
Look at the AC3 and AC4 demos - The E3 demo of AC4 was supposedly running onto a PlayStation 4 which was not true, it was running onto a PC like most of the demos for the show (They are loaded by order of the different apparition of the show), and for AC4/PS4 they even had a problem while the 2013 E3 demonstration that revealed that the guy was not really playing the demo but just faking playing.

The AC4 demo crashing in no way revealed that the guy playing was faking it. Why do you think it does? That's exactly what it looks like when a game crashes while you're playing.

jayjay275
05-31-2014, 04:22 PM
To be honest the only game that I can truly say got downgraded (in terms of visuals) was Watch Dogs. All the AC games turned out just as good (or better) in the real game. So when people say Ubisoft downgrade games, I think thats unfair as it was only Watch Dogs. AC 3 looked better on console, AC 4 looked identical along with all the rest. Im so hyped for Unity and as its coming out this year, we won't get a downgraded copy. The problem with Watch Dogs was that it was in Alpha state in E3 2012 and it was no where near completion. With Unity I think it will be different. They probably have nearly finished the game, especially as it has been in development by 10 studios over nearly 3 years.

Watch Dogs was already in development for 5 years last year, and it got delayed even further. It has little to do with time, more rather being limited to graphical capabilities when making a cross gen game. The reason Watch Dogs isn't as good looking as the E3 2012 demo is because of last generation consoles.

Seriously, why do so many people care about graphics to the point where it affects their purchase?

deskp
05-31-2014, 04:25 PM

They are not pretending to play, they are however obviously super rehersed. in alot of cases they do however have a video version they can switch over to if the game crashes, aparently didnt with ac4 last year tho.

To be honest I dont get anything from them playing it live, just show us a gameplay video of it playing so we dont have to suffer through game crashes.

Megas_Doux
05-31-2014, 04:31 PM

Interesting!

I suppose that the holy grail of videogames, the epitome of awesomeness and saviour of worlds, AC II, had the same "fake" staged demo too....

SixKeys
05-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Watch Dogs was already in development for 5 years last year, and it got delayed even further. It has little to do with time, more rather being limited to graphical capabilities when making a cross gen game. The reason Watch Dogs isn't as good looking as the E3 2012 demo is because of last generation consoles.

Seriously, why do so many people care about graphics to the point where it affects their purchase?

I generally don't, but what bugs me about Watch Dogs is that the final product is not the product that caught my interest back in 2012. The visuals were a huge part of why the game looked so amazing. It looked like a game that could really earn the title of being next-gen. The downgrade made it look like just another generic GTA clone. I'll still buy the game at some point, but I feel cheated out of the game that was originally promised.

jayjay275
05-31-2014, 04:45 PM
I generally don't, but what bugs me about Watch Dogs is that the final product is not the product that caught my interest back in 2012. The visuals were a huge part of why the game looked so amazing. It looked like a game that could really earn the title of being next-gen. The downgrade made it look like just another generic GTA clone. I'll still buy the game at some point, but I feel cheated out of the game that was originally promised.

True, but personally to me, what matters is what it offers now. An enjoyable game with tons to do is all that matters to me really. :)

m4r-k7
05-31-2014, 05:58 PM

I dont care about graphics that much. I am still going to buy Watch Dogs regardless, i'm just saying that Ubisoft do not downgrade games. It was Watch Dogs and the team didn't want to show it at E3 2012, Ubisoft forced them to show it. Its like if you have seen the AC 3 pre-production footage, you will think to yourself "wow." Imagine them showing that pre production footage at an E3 and then releasing AC 3 how it actually turned out. Everyone would have gone crazy. Thats what happened with Watch Dogs. They had a highly optimised version to show at E3 but they weren't entirely ready to show as they knew they would have to scale it down. If Watch Dogs was only at E3 2013, there would be very little complaints.

However, it is more about the gameplay, im just saying I am expecting AC Unity to wow us in terms of visuals. AC 4 on my 360 was absolutely stunning, they literally pushed old gen to the max, I reckon its going to look absolutely great.

Megas_Doux
05-31-2014, 06:04 PM
In this era of gaming, more than any other before except for the video game crash in 1983, accountants are making the games, not developers.