PDA

View Full Version : Why is Assasssin's Creed Unity and not Assassin's Creed V?

ALTAIR-KRATOS2
05-25-2014, 08:03 PM
Hi guys, i was wondering why the name of next gen AC is Unity and not V. Does this mean that is not going to be revolutionary? Because we all know that AC changes number when we play as a new character in a new era and adds new things. Well i hope Ubi will answer us. Tell me what do you thing? :)

JustPlainQuirky
05-25-2014, 08:16 PM
Because Comet is also releasing at the same time and it would confuse consumers and be bad for marketing to portray one game superior to the other.

lothario-da-be
05-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Connor? :p
I think they ditched the numbered titles, ac4 black flag was the transition and now the number is gone. Maybe they don't want to have an AC X in only 3 years, if the number is too high people will accuse them of milking even more.

Mr_Shade
05-25-2014, 08:20 PM
further details about the new AC: Unity - will most likely be revealed soon ™ ;)

lothario-da-be
05-25-2014, 08:21 PM
further details about the new AC: Unity - will most likely be revealed soon ™ ;)
Damm teasing of you Shade :mad:

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-25-2014, 08:22 PM
That is what everyone is so confused about, including me. Ubi just can't abandon this "policy" that we've know for so long already. Maybe they'll announcing something about it at E3?

further details about the new AC: Unity - will most likely be revealed soon ;)

Dang you Shade!

GunnerGalactico
05-25-2014, 08:24 PM
That is what everyone is so confused about, including me. Ubi just can't abandon this "policy" that we've know for so long already. Maybe they'll announcing something about it at E3?

Dang you Shade!

He probably meant E3 anyway

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-25-2014, 08:27 PM
He probably meant E3 anyway

I figured that much, but for some of us it seems so far away - two weeks from now feels like a long time. Need to find something to preoccupy myself to make time go faster lol

JustPlainQuirky
05-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Also could be because they don't want to turn into FinalFantasy and have Assassins Creed XII

Sushiglutton
05-25-2014, 08:29 PM
According to the latest estimates the name constitutes about 0.00001% of the experience ;)

GunnerGalactico
I figured that much, but for some of us it seems so far away - two weeks from now feels like a long time. Need to find something to preoccupy myself to make time go faster lol

My second term exams start that week :(

lothario-da-be
E3 is the day (night) before my first exam...
ALL HAIL TIME ZONES

lothario-da-be
05-25-2014, 08:30 PM
My second term exams start that week :(
Good luck! Same problem here :(

GunnerGalactico
05-25-2014, 08:32 PM

All the best to you too :)

*high fives*

Sushiglutton
05-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Have allready done my exams before E3 :)! I start my summer work on the 9th though :(.

lothario-da-be
05-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Have allready done my exams before E3 :)! I start my summer work on the 9th though :(.
Lucky dude! Watching ac unity and getting excited + studying won't go together well I fear. This e3 will be a pain in the azz.

Sushiglutton
05-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Lucky dude! Watching ac unity and getting excited + studying won't go together well I fear. This e3 will be a pain in the azz.

That's the good thing about working, when the day is over you're done. When you study close to exams you kind of never feel free. I still don't think I'll be able to watch all conferences live, but I guess I'll get no sympathy for that :)

ACfan443
05-25-2014, 08:50 PM
I've always thought about it this way, being the first true next gen exclusive AC game, perhaps they're marketing it as more as a reboot or standalone title in a bid to make it more appealing and friendly to newcomers, who may otherwise feel intimidated or put off by a game attached to a long running franchise (unless Unity is a placeholder, which is what Shade seems to be alluding to). It's the same reason I've never been particularly drawn to the Final Fantasy series, I just have no idea what the best entry point is because there's like, a thousand of them. It's probably the same reason Sony worldwide studios omitted numerals from the titles of their latest Killzone and Infamous next gen entries.

Also, I'm incredibly envious of the people whose exams end prior to E3, mine run through the entire week. :(.

YazX_
05-25-2014, 09:07 PM
the codename for this game is not standard, not every AC has a number, and AC4 broke all the rules by having a number and a name, maybe Unity will have a number along with the name after all, as Mr_Shade said, More about the game will be revealed soon especially in E3.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-25-2014, 09:11 PM
the codename for this game is not standard, not every AC has a number, and AC4 broke all the rules by having a number and a name, maybe Unity will have a number along with the name after all, as Mr_Shade said, More about the game will be revealed soon especially in E3.

I beg to differ.

Just about every major AC game has a number...

Aphex_Tim
05-25-2014, 09:32 PM
E3 is the day (night) before my first exam...
ALL HAIL TIME ZONES

I guess being unemployed for the last couple of months is finally gonna pay off for me. :p

ShoryukenMan
05-25-2014, 09:48 PM
I hope they don't ditch the numbers. Numbers are fine.

Aphex_Tim
05-25-2014, 10:10 PM
It's starting to become a little inconsistent and confusing though. Brotherhood started the subtitles, meaning AC3 was actually the fifth main game in the series. There were two games named AC3; one of 'em a handheld game with a subtitle, which led people to believe AC4 would also be a handheld game when the first leaks started showing up. AC4 turned out to be the next main game (the sixth), leaving people confused as to why it had a number AND subtitle. Ubi's explanation was that every numbered title would introduce a new main character, yet now they have announced Unity, which doesn't have a number and still introduces a new character.
In my opinion, Ubi should stick to just subtitles from now on. Both for the reasons stated above and for avoiding accusations of milking the series.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-25-2014, 10:29 PM
It's starting to become a little inconsistent and confusing though. Brotherhood started the subtitles, meaning AC3 was actually the fifth main game in the series. There were two games named AC3; one of 'em a handheld game with a subtitle, which led people to believe AC4 would also be a handheld game when the first leaks started showing up. AC4 turned out to be the next main game (the sixth), leaving people confused as to why it had a number AND subtitle. Ubi's explanation was that every numbered title would introduce a new main character, yet now they have announced Unity, which doesn't have a number and still introduces a new character.
In my opinion, Ubi should stick to just subtitles from now on. Both for the reasons stated above and for avoiding accusations of milking the series.

YEES! Took the words right out of my mouth :D

GunnerGalactico
05-25-2014, 10:36 PM

Interesting points.

ze_topazio
05-25-2014, 11:36 PM
The 2015 game about Japan will be the real V.

Locopells
05-26-2014, 12:40 AM
I think they ditched the numbered titles, ac4 black flag was the transition and now the number is gone. Maybe they don't want to have an AC X in only 3 years, if the number is too high people will accuse them of milking even more.

I suspect the answer is this...assuming Shade isn't onto something...

No exams for me! I just have to work, when I'm not keeping an eye on you guys...

LoyalACFan
05-26-2014, 03:00 AM
I think we're all forgetting that Unity was just a codename... It might not even be on the final product. For all we know the French Revolution game could be just plain Assassin's Creed V, with Comet being Assassin's Creed V: Subtitle, just like AC3: Liberation. They've only officially used the Unity name in one trailer, so it's not like they'd have physical assets/advertisements to recall if it's not called AC Unity.

Jexx21
05-26-2014, 03:07 AM
Because I told them to.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-26-2014, 03:12 AM
I think we're all forgetting that Unity was just a codename... It might not even be on the final product. For all we know the French Revolution game could be just plain Assassin's Creed V, with Comet being Assassin's Creed V: Subtitle, just like AC3: Liberation. They've only officially used the Unity name in one trailer, so it's not like they'd have physical assets/advertisements to recall if it's not called AC Unity.

So it IS a placeholder? Is there proof?

LoyalACFan
05-26-2014, 03:29 AM
So it IS a placeholder? Is there proof?

No, I'm not saying that it's definitely a placeholder, I'm just saying that it easily could be one. And since Shade's being all coy about it, that would be my guess. After all, in the initial leak, Unity and Comet were referred to as code names, and I think that's exactly what they are. Especially Comet, as it's a pretty terrible title. All the previous subtitles have done a pretty good job conveying what the game was about (Brotherhood referring to apprentices and multiplayer, Revelations referring to finding Altair's secrets, Black Flag referring to piracy, and Liberation is just duh) while Comet is just a random word that might possibly vaguely hint at the setting if it's Ancient Rome, but that's pretty weak.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-26-2014, 03:43 AM
No, I'm not saying that it's definitely a placeholder, I'm just saying that it easily could be one. And since Shade's being all coy about it, that would be my guess. After all, in the initial leak, Unity and Comet were referred to as code names, and I think that's exactly what they are. Especially Comet, as it's a pretty terrible title. All the previous subtitles have done a pretty good job conveying what the game was about (Brotherhood referring to apprentices and multiplayer, Revelations referring to finding Altair's secrets, Black Flag referring to piracy, and Liberation is just duh) while Comet is just a random word that might possibly vaguely hint at the setting if it's Ancient Rome, but that's pretty weak.

Hmm.. very true. I can see why it can be a place holder then. Now I wonder when they will reveal the real title then? Maybe E3..

LoyalACFan
05-26-2014, 03:49 AM
Hmm.. very true. I can see why it can be a place holder then. Now I wonder when they will reveal the real title then? Maybe E3..

Definitely E3. They can afford to keep it under wraps for now, but they'd be stupid not to launch their advertising campaign at the biggest VG expo of the year.

Hassassiyin
05-26-2014, 04:27 AM
Perhaps they're ditching the numbers because after a certain number
it just gets ridiculous IMO.
Assassins Creed 6
Assassins Creed 9
Assassins Creed 12
Assassins Creed 25

People would scream "MILK, MILK, UBISOFT IS MILKING THE SERIES!!!!!".
Who knows how many AC games we'll get after this one.
There have been 8 console titles (including Unity and Comet) since 2007
and a few handheld and mobile games.
It doesnt look like they're ending the franchise anytime soon.

Jexx21
05-26-2014, 04:30 AM
I think Unity and Comet are good names...

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 04:37 AM
Still think White Flag is a better name. :rolleyes:

I-Like-Pie45
05-26-2014, 04:47 AM
Still think White Flag is a better name. :rolleyes:

Nyet!

Fatal-Feit
05-26-2014, 07:22 AM
I want an Assassin's Creed Downpour so that they can hit all the cliches.

ALTAIR-KRATOS2
05-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Yeah that's a good point, it have no sense that is called only with a name instead with a number, knowing that is a new character in a new era. An if Shade says that... We'll see. E3 is coming!! Slowly but coming!! Have a good day guys!! :)

Locopells
05-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Who knows...

RinoTheBouncer
05-26-2014, 11:39 AM
I think because they have Comet coming as well and both could be ACV as a package. Perhaps they’re linked in some shape or form that they complete each others’ story. I’m sure Ubisoft will give reasons for Comet players to get Unity and give reasons to Unity players to go back and play Comet unless Comet is gonna be as half-a**ed as Liberation.

ze_topazio
05-26-2014, 12:46 PM
I think Unity and Comet are good names...

Personally I hate them and very much prefer numbers, I understand subtitles is a better way to disguise the exaggerated number of sequels, if Call of Duty had not dropped the numbers this year game would be Call of Duty 11, but that has nothing to do with me, simple numbers > lame subtitles.

I think because they have Comet coming as well and both could be ACV as a package. Perhaps they’re linked in some shape or form that they complete each others’ story. I’m sure Ubisoft will give reasons for Comet players to get Unity and give reasons to Unity players to go back and play Comet unless Comet is gonna be as half-a**ed as Liberation.

That's possible, I think Comet will be on the lines of Brotherhood, short story and few locations but with bazillions of side quests to fill the disc and justify the price and with Liberation idea of brand new character and location although not that different.

RinoTheBouncer
05-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Personally I hate them and very much prefer numbers, I understand subtitles is a better way to disguise the exaggerated number of sequels, if Call of Duty had not dropped the numbers this year game would be Call of Duty 11, but that has nothing to do with me, simple numbers > lame subtitles.

That's possible, I think Comet will be on the lines of Brotherhood, short story and few locations but with bazillions of side quests to fill the disc and justify the price and with Liberation idea of brand new character and location although not that different.

My thoughts exactly. With the minor exception that AC:B progressed the story of Ezio and modern day further while Liberation didn’t go anywhere.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-26-2014, 05:45 PM
I don't believe they are code names because the official AC Youtube uploaded Assassin's Creed Unity sneak peak while AC4 was Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag from the start (Number not roman numeral 4)
I have a couple of theories.
1 - It just isn't AC5.... Assassin's Creed Unity is simply a prequel to Assassin's Creed 5 OR a sequel to Assassin's Creed 3 and connor just got new fancy robes to look like he fits in (I mean he'd only be in his early to mid 30s in Unity).. prepare for AC5 to blow you away...

2 - New generation - new story arc - new AC Series
Assassin's Creed Comet will be the end of a chapter and ACU will be the start of a new...
Perhaps ACU is a relaunch of the series?
We will see ACU 2 ACU 3 ACU 4 as the word unity could suggest that every game won't feature an assassin protagonist...
I don't see them ditching the numbers....
Psychologically speaking - numbers sell
Elder scrolls 5 had no problem selling with only 2 releases for last gen
and neither did GTA 5
You'll buy a superwatch 3000 before you buy a super watch (cause 3000 indicates advancement)
They don't care if they are viewed as milking with Assassins Creed XX
The fact is, new players will buy their Next gen HD collection to catch up

jayjay275
05-26-2014, 06:39 PM
I don't believe they are code names because the official AC Youtube uploaded Assassin's Creed Unity sneak peak while AC4 was Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag from the start (Number not roman numeral 4)
I have a couple of theories.
1 - It just isn't AC5.... Assassin's Creed Unity is simply a prequel to Assassin's Creed 5 OR a sequel to Assassin's Creed 3 and connor just got new fancy robes to look like he fits in (I mean he'd only be in his early to mid 30s in Unity).. prepare for AC5 to blow you away...

2 - New generation - new story arc - new AC Series
Assassin's Creed Comet will be the end of a chapter and ACU will be the start of a new...
Perhaps ACU is a relaunch of the series?
We will see ACU 2 ACU 3 ACU 4 as the word unity could suggest that every game won't feature an assassin protagonist...
I don't see them ditching the numbers....
Psychologically speaking - numbers sell
Elder scrolls 5 had no problem selling with only 2 releases for last gen
and neither did GTA 5
You'll buy a superwatch 3000 before you buy a super watch (cause 3000 indicates advancement)
They don't care if they are viewed as milking with Assassins Creed XX
The fact is, new players will buy their Next gen HD collection to catch up

I don't think they'll relaunch the series at all. Especially since they haven't finished the fluster cluck of a modern day storyline.

king-hailz
05-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Well to be honest I have absolutely no idea... I am sure this will be a major game... I am sure there will be a game for last gen... but I don't know why they couldn't have called it assassin's creed 5 unity and assassins cried 5 comet... its how's it is a major part of the franchise and the numbers need to carry on... I always waited for ac5 since I'd thought they would do a really cool logo with it... or they will keep doing it like this forever now... I know there is no Connor as protagonist since they have confirmed it's a new assassin... so all I can guess is that they will make two assassin games every year... and they have given up on making them numerical... which is annoying since it makes it easier to follow if there was numbers.... its should have been like this..

Assassin's creed
Assassin's creed 2
Assassin's creed 2 brotherhood
Assassin's creed 2 revelations
Assassin's creed 3
Assassin's creed 3 liberation
Assassin's creed 4 black flag
Assassin's creed 5 unity
Assassin's creed 5 comet

DumbGamerTag94
05-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Well to be honest I have absolutely no idea... I am sure this will be a major game... I am sure there will be a game for last gen... but I don't know why they couldn't have called it assassin's creed 5 unity and assassins cried 5 comet... its how's it is a major part of the franchise and the numbers need to carry on... I always waited for ac5 since I'd thought they would do a really cool logo with it... or they will keep doing it like this forever now... I know there is no Connor as protagonist since they have confirmed it's a new assassin... so all I can guess is that they will make two assassin games every year... and they have given up on making them numerical... which is annoying since it makes it easier to follow if there was numbers.... its should have been like this..

Assassin's creed
Assassin's creed 2
Assassin's creed 2 brotherhood
Assassin's creed 2 revelations
Assassin's creed 3
Assassin's creed 3 liberation
Assassin's creed 4 black flag
Assassin's creed 5 unity
Assassin's creed 5 comet

the reason they didn't do it that way is because the number of the title differentiates the Era, not necessarily a different protagonist as some say(if that were so we would have numbered titles for Liberation and Freedom Cry). for example 2 and its sequels where renaissance, 3 and its spin offs were late 1700s America(ACL dropped the 3 in its title when the HD verison came out probably to better fit the existing trend). AC4 and freedom Cry are both Early 1700s Caribbean Pirates. And so on. It isn't necessary for labeling all of the associated games with the same number, because a quick look at the back of the case, or playing the first mission shows you immediately and pretty clearly what era it belongs to and thus which game it associates with.

I also don't understand people's argument that the roman numbers are too ugly/ large for the title. I really don't see how anything between 1 and 10 are too much.
1. I
2. II
3. III
4. IV
5. V
6. VI
7. VII
8. VIII
9. IX
10. X

None of those are over 4 characters long and the only one I would even suggest using the Arabic numeral for is 8 its just a little sleeker/ simpler. But I really don't think they would ever have to go past 10 realistically. Since each of those is an era and other games could be spin offs there could be as many as 30+ games within that sequence. I don't understand.

My honest guess as to why Unity rather than V is 2 reasons. 1. Its still technically the same era as AC3, late 1700s revolutions. 2. The first game made exclusively for next gen, so perhaps its to not scare away players who haven't played it before. A 5 could deter them since they would think "well i haven't played 1-4 so i may be missing info and wouldn't get whats going on" and thus not buy it. But honestly I think it has more to do with reason 1 than anything since its been consistent throughout the series to maintain no number if the era doesn't change. And if they really are making a separate game for current gen. It may have something to do with that, so current gen players don't feel like they have an inferior game just because they didn't have the money for a new system. That may be the reason they chose the French Rev. so that the era didn't change either. I bet the other game for old gen is probably a Connor sequel, or something to do with Haytham, or that general era of the late 1700s America, or something else involving the French Rev(Haitian Revolution Maybe?). It wouldn't be fair to the Next gen players if they sold their old rigs and old gen players got some kind of completely new era/location like some speculate. They would feel like they are missing out, or its unfair. So I can almost guarantee the other game this year(if there is one) is going to be parallel to ACU, or a continuation of a storyline that already exists on old gen games. Connor or Edward for example may get a sequel.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-26-2014, 09:48 PM
The first game made exclusively for next gen, so perhaps its to not scare away players who haven't played it before. A 5 could deter them since they would think "well i haven't played 1-4 so i may be missing info and wouldn't get whats going on" and thus not buy it.
I was very much a casual gamer until 2011 when ACR changed that for me...
I played sports games..so when I thought sequels I thought they were the exact same game with a few tweaks and a new story..because this is what i experienced....
when i started to buy games.. i actually would ask people on forums the difference between God of War collection and God of War Origins...
I thought they were the exact same thing and that the different subtitle just meant it was special edition or something...
Same for final finatasy XIII and FF XIII-2
I had to search for the difference
New comers will be the casuals with the same thinking because thats what sports and even COD sequels are like....
Its hard for us to get into new games and grasp the idea of a story arc lasting more than a single game at first...
We aren't used to it.. we get a beginning middle and end of a story all on one disc....
Therefore we (as casuals) will snatch a game with a higher number in a heart beat and jump in like its just the newest version...
I didnt even play AC2 or ACB until after AC3 because i thought they were the same game as ACR but a different edition.....
I believe a lack of a number will do more harm than good for a game that isnt a new ip or relaunch when it comes to attracting new players....

Locopells
05-27-2014, 01:10 AM
I also don't understand people's argument that the roman numbers are too ugly/ large for the title. I really don't see how anything between 1 and 10 are too much.

I like the Roman numerals myself. Always used to write the date in them, just to piss off my teachers, as a kid...

DumbGamerTag94
05-27-2014, 01:45 AM
@STDlyMcStudpants I completely get what you are saying. Like I said that isn't the strongest reason for it. My first reason is really the reason for no title. Its just not a unique era/theme from what has already been introduced.

Other than the fact that it is set in France rather than the US. ACU will feature the same historical era that AC3 did, and people will look the same, similar weapons will be used, and similar issues will be covered(Specifically the Revolutions of the late 1700s and their causes). Thus why it has no number.

The great thing about AC though is that even the games that are not numbered like ACR as you mentioned can be played without the other games and still give the player a complete, self contained story. Any of them can be played through. The historical parts of AC are perfect for casual gamers to come in and jump on board. Unfortunately the Modern Day part is what turns things into a cluster****. That is the part that will confuse many people when they play an AC game. MD requires the knowledge of the previous games to understand whats going on(and even then its impossible to fully comprehend based solely on the main games anymore the way things have gotten). Unfortunately Modern Day almost forces a player to start the series off from the beginning. However after their initial confusion there, the historical part is always a satisfying experience for a new player because they get a full story arc in one play through(even the Ezio games can be played separate from the other two and still make perfect sense and have a full story contained in each). If only they would get rid of Modern Day, or at least make it Skipable cutscenes since it has become completely irrelevant since AC3.

I agree the influence of Numbered title is very slim if anything at all. If anything the most attractive thing to new or casual players is the historical setting or theme. For example AC3 is the best selling AC....why? Because the US is one of the largest video game markets and setting it during the American Revolution attracted a ton of people to play the series. I have several friends i know that personally only bought the game because it is set in our country and in a period that is very rarely covered in games and they hadn't even played the other games, and some never even played black flag. The game just hit home with Americans, so sales here were insane, and even in other places the period is fairly known(as in even if they don't know details they know of the revolution) so a fairly popular setting amongst consumers resulted in lots of new players and runaway sales. AC4 followed this with Pirates. A fairly popular theme these days with movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, and TV shows like Black Sails. And once again great success, not as great as AC3 but still very good success and a lot of players drawn to the idea of being able to play as a pirate. For many people the biggest draw is not so much knowing the assassin story, or playing as an Assassin(many newcomers don't even know what that is), but getting to experience and participate in historical events that really interest them, or are relevant to their culture/country. Many just do not give a **** about the Modern Day, or even the Assassins vs Templars Story.

The periods are what draw the people in that's why we are starting to see so many more well known/ mainstream/ significant events and periods like with AC3 and 4 and now the French Revolution in ACU. People want to play something if its about something they like. Its the Assassins v. Templars story that pulls people in and makes them want to play the rest of the series. Not so much the modern day, because if you haven't followed that since day one or done a lot of homework its just not very interesting to the majority of players, especially the casual ones and the ones who are not so in to it as to get on these forums. Everyone I have talked to about these games tells me they cant stand Modern Day parts. People are generally more interested in Seeing the Assassin Templar conflict as it unfolded historically. The way they openly fought in the crusades. How they went underground and engaged in a guerilla war against the Templars and their Papal forces during the Renaissance, How they got involved in the feud for the Ottoman Throne in the 1500s, Influenced the American Revolution, Destroyed the Pirate way of life and brought the colonies under firmer control(Nassau being reclaimed by Britain). That is the stuff people really like and that keeps them coming back for more! I will admit that many i talk to do admit that they did care somewhat about Desmond's story and how it unfolded. But since he died they really just don't care. Honestly the VAST majority stopped caring about MD when Desmond died, they no longer had a vested interest. Before we experienced his journey and played as him as he was a prisoner of and escaped Abstergo. After doing that we cared about him, and that was really the only thing that kept most interested because lets face it MD was boring, and when we actually got to do mission in AC3 they were dumb. Once he went away, so did the last little bit of interest the majority of players still had in MD.

So basically the Numbers in AC titles only matter with the Era that is presented in them, and technically makes it slightly easier for newer players who have only played one game, to find the other games that immediately relate to it. If you Play ACR for example and you really liked it and wanted to find out more about that story, or even the series. You would most likely go to a store like Gamestop, or Xbox live, PSN, or Steam and look at the other titles in the series. It wouldn't take long to notice That AC2 and ACB also take place in the renaissance, both from the pictures, and from the descriptions on line or on the back of the case, especially since the backs of both cases for AC2 and Brotherhood both say Ezio on them. An ACR player would be familiar with him. AC1 its easy to see its Medieval and Pirate ones have a tropical look to them and ships are prominent/or in Freedom Cry's case its a returning Character from the main game. ACL associates with AC3 just from seeing the soldiers with muskets and Avaline's Tricorn Hat.

So that's my thought. They just don't want to use a new era exclusively for next gen...yet...at least for a year. So since ACU and AC3 are the same era there is no number. Same goes for Comet if it is real, it most likely will be set during a period we have already introduced so I HIGHLY doubt the Rome rumor holds water. People keep saying the numbering system is a mess because it is supposed to associate with a new protagonist or setting. When we know that just isn't the case. ACR showed us that a change of Setting doesn't get a new number as did liberation with AC3. And we learned from Liberation and Freedom Cry,(and technically AC3 because we play as two main characters) that a different protagonist does not mean a different number. The only thing that a number does Represent is a shift in Historical Era/Theme/Category. thus why Crusades, Renaissance, Pirates, and 18th century Revolutions all gave us numbered titles when they are first introduced. Black flag only has a subtitle to emphasize and distinguish its Pirate theme/ gameplay mechanics from the rest of the series and attract players, and not a "transition" to not using numbered titles anymore as some suggest. If that were the case then why go out of their way to continue the tradition of new era new title, instead of just calling it Assassin's Creed Black Flag. The four is forced in there because it was a new era being introduced and Ubi was staying consistent.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-27-2014, 04:13 AM
The historical parts of AC are perfect for casual gamers to come in and jump on board. Unfortunately the Modern Day part is what turns things into a cluster****. That is the part that will confuse many people when they play an AC game.
I picked the perfect game to get introduce to the series with, ACR had that puzzle game that was going through desmonds story... which ultimately had me go back and play the games i missed (I owned AC 1 but never got to it before acr) and then after ac3 i went back and filled in the gaps between ac1 and acr...
I'm def one of those people now atleast that will go back and play earlier games first.. but ive never skipped a series completely because i didnt play the originals on ps2
I just dont think they would drop numbers for this reason unless it was indeed a reboot...
(Which I believe Uncharted will be)

DumbGamerTag94
05-27-2014, 05:30 AM
AC Brotherhood, ACR, and Black Flag are probably the Best three best games to be introduced to the series in. They all are good for one reason. A player can get as deep into the MD part of the story as they wish, and it is not forced(very much) on the player at all.

ACB was great with this because it has some MD in the very beginning, and at the very end. You play the Historical story almost completely uninterrupted by modern day! You are still aware of the MD story and it progresses and the major points are given to you, but if you wished to get as much MD as possible you could leave the Animus if you so choose and read emails, have conversations, etc. While a person who only picked it up to play an open world game set in Rome for example would be able to play the historical narrative uninterrupted and then be blown away by the shocking surprise MD ending(which would thus make them want to learn more about MD in a replay, or play the other games to get filled in). This was BY FAR my favorite handling of the MD of the entire series because you could choose how deep to get into it, while at the same time keeping it very relevant and still conveying major plot points.

ACR was bad in the handling of MD for the use of the platform floating camera with no body games to advance the plot rather than cutscenes or 3rd person missions. However at least it was once again optional to do those. You could still get the major plot from the cutscenes atleast, but it interrupted the game every sequence or so, and that I found kind of annoying. Almost like commercial breaks on TV. but it wasn't that bad.

AC4BF was just dumb in its handling of MD IMO. Your just "you" aka a floating Ipad, and you don't speak, and really you are just observing boring everyday business conversations. Occasionally you are forced to hack things to gain info for Shaun and Rebecca, and then theres the whole Juneau thing that briefly happens and the stuff with John from IT, but other than that nothing really important happens(Assassins Creed 4: Desk Jockey). But at least we got some plot points(even though they were mostly new to that specific game, or a very brief encounter with old plot characters.). But the good thing about BF is that the MD doesn't distract from the Historic part which is what many new players picked that game up for, but still creates questions that may make them look into the overall story in other games. You can hack computers to find out as much about MD as you want which is good, however it just didn't feel as engaging with the first person thing for me. But at least the MD is more subdued and it is your CHOICE to go deeper into it. Which makes it a great game to get on board.

AC3 in contrast was by far the WORST to get on board with. Because in AC3 Modern Day parts were unavoidable, incomprehensible(if you hadn't played at least the last few games), and painfully long winded(cutscenes and cutscenes and more cutscenes) and just when you got to the end of all the cutscenes...you have to complete a 10-15min mission for Desmond(on more than one occasion) that really were not very fun......"If we could just get back to Conner now....That would be great". You couldn't control your exposure there. It forces you to deal with every last second of MD. And without prior knowledge it makes that whole thing fairly confusing and rather annoying(which may turn them off to the series) for a new player who only wanted to play an American Revolution game at first. As a veteran AC player I didn't really mind, but a few friends of mine who'd first played the game at my house absolutely hated it(the MD stuff) and were constantly asking me what the hell they were even talking about most of the time. That kills interest. Less is more. Make them want to learn more don't shove nonsense they no nothing about down their throats it just confuses and makes them think that all the games are long winded and constantly interrupting the main historical story. The other three games I mentioned make you want to find out more, AC3 handed you everything and the presentation made it feel like a chore obstructing you from getting back to the 1700s, rather than pulling you in and making you want to learn the backstory. At least that's what the feedback I've gotten says.

Anyway as for numbered additions. As you said many wont be turned away from a series because they haven't played the originals. For example I played Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater first and got into that series(which turned out to be a good thing since it was a prequel anyway which I didn't know at the time). That doesn't stop people. But I don't think they are dropping the number in ACU as some sort of reboot(unless maybe the MD is gone and they no longer require numbers? I can only dream!!! as I hate it ever since Desmond died). I just think that since this is really the first full year after the new consoles have released they just don't want to introduce a brand new Era for one gen or the other(thus no number). If they for Example made the Next gen game set in Egypt, WW1, or Roman Empire, people would be upset that it was next gen exclusive such an awesome new era. That's like a big middle finger to poor people and people who had more important things to buy than a new console this year and put off buying one till they had the extra cash. The majority of people haven't switched to next gen yet, and to do something like that would be losing money for Ubi(due to the smaller number of people to buy it) introducing a New era for next gen only, not to mention seem kind of elitist. Wile the reverse side of the coin if they give a new era/numbered title for the old gen. People that sold their old gen and got new ones will feel ripped off because the "superior" numbered title gets a new era. Why should I still be stuck in 18th century Revolutions again with ACU while the old gen guys get an Exotic new setting like Ancient Rome? The plus side is they sell more copies, the down side is the next gen guys feel ripped off with an inferior game, and on top of that a completely new era we haven't experienced would be wasted on old hardware, looking nowhere near as beautiful as it could in next gen. For that reason I think we are going to see both games set in eras we have already introduced. We already know Unity is in French Rev which means still 18th century revolutions which were introduced in AC3. And AC Comet I guarantee will be set either as a Connor Sequel or something relating to the French Rev, or another sailing game either between AC4 and 3 or an earlier Pirate Game in the late 1600s. But either way I would safely bet it will be some time period we already have. They just do not want one game to outshine another so I guarantee we will not likely see a new era this year or maybe even next year, and thus we will not see another new numbered title until they drop the old gen releases, or next gen vastly surpasses old gen as a majority of buyers.