PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 2 & Assassin's Creed 4 make it on IGN's top 100 games of last gen

ACfan443
05-23-2014, 04:52 PM
The full list has been revealed
http://uk.ign.com/top/games-of-a-generation

96. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
14. Assassin's Creed 2

Full list:

Compiled by GAF member
#100 Skate 2
#99 Viva Pińata 2
#98 Mario Kart Wii
#97 Condemned
#96 Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
#95 Vanquish
#94 DJ Hero
#93 Dance Central
#92 State of Decay
#91 Super Smash Bros Brawl
#90 Unfinished Swan
#89 Splinter Cell: Blacklist
#88 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
#87 Sleeping Dogs
#86 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
#85 Skylanders
#84 Crackdown
#83 LEGO Marvel
#82 Halo 3
#81 Spec Ops: The Line
#80 Xenoblade Chronicles
#79 Call of Duty: Black Ops
#78 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
#77 Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
#76 Saints Row: The Third
#75 Heavy Rain
#74 Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
#73 Brothers
#72 New Super Mario Bros Wii
#71 Gran Turismo 6
#70 XCOM: Enemy Within
#69 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
#68 Demon's Souls
#67 Dishonored
#66 God of War III
#65 Catherine
#64 Flower
#63 Rainbow Six Vegas
#62 Shadow Complex
#61 Rayman Legends
#60 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
#59 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
#58 Infamous 2
#57 LittleBigPlanet
#56 FEZ
#55 Bayonetta
#54 FIFA 12
#53 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
#52 Far Cry 3
#51 The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings
#50 South Park: The Stick of Truth
#49 Forza Motorsport 4
#48 Fable 2
#47 Dragon Age: Origins
#46 Dark Souls 2
#45 Super Meat Boy
#44 Gears of Wars 3
#43 Trials Evolution
#42 Mirror's Edge
#41 Spelunky
#40 The Elder Scrolls V: Oblivion
#39 Deus Ex: Human Revolution
#38 Limbo
#37 Burnout Paradise
#36 Pac-Man Championship Edition
#35 Tomb Raider
#34 BioShock Infinite
#33 Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
#32 The Walking Dead
#31 Portal
#30 Braid
#29 Grand Theft Auto IV
#28 Halo 4
#27 Borderlands 2
#26 Fallout: New Vegas
#25 Dead Space
#24 Left 4 Dead 2
#23 Dark Souls
#22 Batman: Arkham Asylum
#21 Street Fighter IV
#20 Super Mario Galaxy 2
#19 Wii Sports
#18 Mass Effect
#17 BioShock
#16 Batman: Arkham City
#15 Half-Life 2: Episode 2
#14 Assassin's Creed 2
#13 Rock Band
#12 Mass Effect 2
#11 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
#10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
#9 Journey
#8 Grand Theft Auto V
#7 Red Dead Redemption
#6 Minecraft
#5 Fallout 3
#4 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
#3 The Last of Us
#2 Portal 2
#1 Super Mario Galaxy

Kirokill
05-23-2014, 04:55 PM
List itself looks bad.
Lego Marvel surpassed AC4...

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-23-2014, 04:55 PM
The full list has been revealed
http://uk.ign.com/top/games-of-a-generation

96. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
14. Assassin's Creed 2

Full list:

Compiled by GAF member
#100 Skate 2
#99 Viva Pińata 2
#98 Mario Kart Wii
#97 Condemned
#96 Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
#95 Vanquish
#94 DJ Hero
#93 Dance Central
#92 State of Decay
#91 Super Smash Bros Brawl
#90 Unfinished Swan
#89 Splinter Cell: Blacklist
#88 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
#87 Sleeping Dogs
#86 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
#85 Skylanders
#84 Crackdown
#83 LEGO Marvel
#82 Halo 3
#81 Spec Ops: The Line
#80 Xenoblade Chronicles
#79 Call of Duty: Black Ops
#78 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
#77 Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
#76 Saints Row: The Third
#75 Heavy Rain
#74 Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
#73 Brothers
#72 New Super Mario Bros Wii
#71 Gran Turismo 6
#70 XCOM: Enemy Within
#69 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
#68 Demon's Souls
#67 Dishonored
#66 God of War III
#65 Catherine
#64 Flower
#63 Rainbow Six Vegas
#62 Shadow Complex
#61 Rayman Legends
#60 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
#59 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
#58 Infamous 2
#57 LittleBigPlanet
#56 FEZ
#55 Bayonetta
#54 FIFA 12
#53 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
#52 Far Cry 3
#51 The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings
#50 South Park: The Stick of Truth
#49 Forza Motorsport 4
#48 Fable 2
#47 Dragon Age: Origins
#46 Dark Souls 2
#45 Super Meat Boy
#44 Gears of Wars 3
#43 Trials Evolution
#42 Mirror's Edge
#41 Spelunky
#40 The Elder Scrolls V: Oblivion
#39 Deus Ex: Human Revolution
#38 Limbo
#37 Burnout Paradise
#36 Pac-Man Championship Edition
#35 Tomb Raider
#34 BioShock Infinite
#33 Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
#32 The Walking Dead
#31 Portal
#30 Braid
#29 Grand Theft Auto IV
#28 Halo 4
#27 Borderlands 2
#26 Fallout: New Vegas
#25 Dead Space
#24 Left 4 Dead 2
#23 Dark Souls
#22 Batman: Arkham Asylum
#21 Street Fighter IV
#20 Super Mario Galaxy 2
#19 Wii Sports
#18 Mass Effect
#17 BioShock
#16 Batman: Arkham City
#15 Half-Life 2: Episode 2
#14 Assassin's Creed 2
#13 Rock Band
#12 Mass Effect 2
#11 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
#10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
#9 Journey
#8 Grand Theft Auto V
#7 Red Dead Redemption
#6 Minecraft
#5 Fallout 3
#4 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
#3 The Last of Us
#2 Portal 2
#1 Super Mario Galaxy

Weird list indeed, but thanks for sharing :) And yet why does it look like Ive seen this list before? lol

Assassin_M
05-23-2014, 04:58 PM
There's no way AC II is better than AC IV lol

Thanks for sharing

This list is dead to me...Heavy Rain is ranked higher than Sleeping Dogs and AC IV

oliacr
05-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Weird list. Thanks for sharing.

Jexx21
05-23-2014, 05:58 PM
why is super mario galaxy #1..

jayjay275
05-23-2014, 06:03 PM
Portal 2 beats the last of us? M'kay...
FIFA 12 > Uncharted 3? M'kay....
That list is beyond ridiculous.

HDinHB
05-23-2014, 06:28 PM
While it's called the "top games" list, it's not necessarily about which games are "better," but also which ones were more innovative, influential or unique.

IGN is proud to present the top 100 games that defined the last generation...not just the way we play now, but how we'll play in the future. The list was hand-picked by IGN's editors from across the globe and the judging criteria was diverse, with games qualifying because of their innovation, influence, longevity, excellence or uniqueness -- or in some cases, all of the above. And of course, they had to be released on PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii.

They don't seem to define these criteria any further. These list are usually pointless (unless they agree with me), but they did put some effort into,writing a blurb for each entry on the list. They did not detail why a particular game was ranked as it was. I only read a couple entries.

If one of the defining trends of this generation was massive, open-world games that took the player to places impossible in the past, Ubisoft's second installment in the Assassin's Creed series is right there at the top of that list.
So AC2 is at the top of the list, but other massive, open-world games are ranked higher, apparently without supporting rationale. That would make the list more interesting.

ACfan443
05-23-2014, 07:28 PM
There's no way AC II is better than AC IV lol

Thanks for sharing

This list is dead to me...Heavy Rain is ranked higher than Sleeping Dogs and AC IV

GTA 4 was ranked higher than AC4, and that game is one the most overrated and boring games to have come out of the previous generation, in my opinion. I just think it's assigned far too much value, and the excessive praise it receives is nauseating and unwarranted. AC4 could do with being ranked higher - it was an excellent title and sits in my top 20, but I'm just glad it made it onto the list given how much abhorrence and hostility there is towards the series outside of the die hard fan base.

Well, it did receive universal acclaim. I haven't played it myself, but a lot of people seem to be satisfied with its position at the top of the podium, myself included (mainly because this time round the top position of a game-rank list wasn't awarded to another completely predictable title, I sound like a total hipster d-bag I know). I'd like to give it try, but unfortunately I don't own a Wii.

Jexx21
05-23-2014, 09:27 PM
actually among most gamers Assassin's Creed isn't abhorred. You're just thinking of the people who like to actually make comments on the internet.

Megas_Doux
05-23-2014, 09:29 PM
FIFA 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really????????????????????

The only football - or soccer to our americans friends in the forum- worth ANY top list is 98, that game was revolutionary in many aspects. With that being said, AC IV is a GREAT game, and although I would ranked higher, it deserves the praise, AC II was expected, is a very good game that sent this franchise into stardome.

In terms of the list, well it is a matter of opinions and I certainly disagree with many games being on the list and their positions.

Aphex_Tim
05-23-2014, 09:39 PM

Because it's a bloody awesome game.
It's kind of a weird list but I'm glad to see these games rank above GTA5. I was honestly expecting the hype train to just obliterate any other game of the last generation.

SixKeys
05-23-2014, 09:55 PM
If this list is really about games that were innovative and defining to gaming, then AC1 should have taken AC2's spot. It's the one that introduced the concept of being able to climb anything that looks climbable.

poptartz20
05-23-2014, 10:07 PM
ehhh... this list is weird. But I am happy to say I've played several of these games! :D

roostersrule2
05-24-2014, 03:39 PM
AC2 only 14?

Should at least be in the 1, or at the utmost least 1.

Aphex_Tim
05-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Nah, AC2 was good but not that good.

roostersrule2
05-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Nah, AC2 was good but not that good.It's better then that good.

The list should be renamed, 100 games that aren't as good as AC2.

The same list, except number 14 is AC2's DLC.

JustPlainQuirky
05-24-2014, 07:53 PM
This list isn't anything special.

IGN's opinion means almost nothing to me most of the time. Their reviewers can be a bit inconsistant.

I rather listen to lists made by people I find more credible like Zero Punctuation.

Though I am glad Mario Galaxy got top spot. I somewhat anticipated it.

I-Like-Pie45
05-24-2014, 08:14 PM
This list isn't anything special.

IGN's opinion means almost nothing to me most of the time. Their reviewers can be a bit inconsistant.

I rather listen to lists made by people I find more credible like Zero Punctuation.

Though I am glad Mario Galaxy got top spot. I somewhat anticipated it.
What is this Mario Galaxy you speak of?

I have a game called Super Luigi Galaxy which had a really long tutorial level with Mario, but there is no game called Super Mario Galaxy

LoyalACFan
05-24-2014, 09:19 PM
I detest lists like this. You can't take games from literally every single genre and cross-compare them, it's insane and pointless... Comparing Guitar Hero to Red Dead Redemption is like comparing Tchaikovsky to Led Zeppelin.

GunnerGalactico
05-24-2014, 09:20 PM
I detest lists like this. You can't take games from literally every single genre and cross-compare them, it's insane and pointless... Comparing Guitar Hero to Red Dead Redemption is like comparing Tchaikovsky to Led Zeppelin.

Which is why I don't give a damn about lists like that really :)

LoyalACFan
05-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Which is why I don't give a damn about lists like that really :)

I don't either, unless they put Red Dead at the top, and then I'll defend it all day long XD

Jexx21
05-24-2014, 11:17 PM
red dead sux because it's not on PC

I-Like-Pie45
05-24-2014, 11:27 PM
red dead sux because it's not on PC

yes it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaiTm3hpQnk
ignore the GTA title - it is red dead because they are the exact same games

LoyalACFan
05-25-2014, 03:07 AM
ignore the GTA title - it is red dead because they are the exact same games

Them's fightin' words.

I-Like-Pie45
05-25-2014, 03:11 AM
rdr is just gta copy and paste by rockstar with horses

ze_topazio
05-25-2014, 03:14 AM
They should make another of those copy pastes but now with Samurais.

LoyalACFan
05-25-2014, 03:17 AM
They should make another of those copy pastes but now with Samurais.

Eh, R* wouldn't be my first choice for a samurai game because their melee mechanics have historically been crap. Agent will be awesome if it ever ****ing comes out, but I'm getting more and more convinced it's just vaporware.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-25-2014, 05:11 AM
such a **** list.. LBP 1 but no lbp2? (LBP2 is exactly the same but with MORE toys to play with) .. No Killzone.. No Mafia II....
I am suprised AC made it so high.. no one at ign likes AC lol

AssassinHMS
05-25-2014, 05:39 AM
How so?

I am suprised AC made it so high.. no one at ign likes AC lol
Really? I didn't know that. What do they say about AC?

LoyalACFan
05-25-2014, 05:56 AM

Nothing super negative from what I can tell (well, a couple of them were pretty disappointed by AC3's pacing and mission structure, though then again just about everyone was) but it doesn't seem like any of them are that enthusiastic about the franchise either. The last three games have gotten 8.5's and short, lazy reviews. I don't really like IGN myself so I'm not that familiar with their reviewers, but that's the impression I got.

AssassinHMS
05-25-2014, 06:12 AM
Nothing super negative from what I can tell (well, a couple of them were pretty disappointed by AC3's pacing and mission structure, though then again just about everyone was) but it doesn't seem like any of them are that enthusiastic about the franchise either. The last three games have gotten 8.5's and short, lazy reviews. I don't really like IGN myself so I'm not that familiar with their reviewers, but that's the impression I got.
Ah, I see.
All I got from IGN's take on AC was that they enjoyed Black Flag quite a lot and disliked AC3 except for the reviewer who, according to her review on AC3, apparently didn't play the game or any previous instalment for that matter.

LoyalACFan
05-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Ah, I see.
All I got from IGN's take on AC was that they enjoyed Black Flag quite a lot and disliked AC3 except for the reviewer who, according to her review on AC3, apparently didn't play the game or any previous instalment for that matter.

Yeah, I feel like IGN's official review was much more positive than the general consensus over there, lol. But then again, for me, AC3 was one of those games that felt sort of average at first, but the more I examine it and replay it the more I dislike it. The reviewer might have come off with a similar first impression.

Sushiglutton
05-25-2014, 09:17 AM
I feel like getting a Wii-U and just play the Wii classics as well as some of the newer stuff. Very curious to see how good the Galaxy games really are. And I'd love to play WindWaker HD. But it's kind of expensive and I'm not sure what kind of future it has.

Aphex_Tim
05-25-2014, 10:40 AM

Grand Theft Horse

I feel like getting a Wii-U and just play the Wii classics as well as some of the newer stuff. Very curious to see how good the Galaxy games really are. And I'd love to play WindWaker HD. But it's kind of expensive and I'm not sure what kind of future it has.

I'm also more and more tempted to get a WiiU someday. I'm afraid after E3 I won't be able to resist anymore since they'll probably announce the next Zelda game.
That's kinda the problem with Nintendo consoles; you don't really want them since they don't have a whole lot to offer but the exclusives they have are oh so bloody awesome. So eventually you end up buying them anyway.

Locopells
05-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Grand Theft Horse

No, Grand Theft Equus!

Sushiglutton
05-25-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm also more and more tempted to get a WiiU someday. I'm afraid after E3 I won't be able to resist anymore since they'll probably announce the next Zelda game.
That's kinda the problem with Nintendo consoles; you don't really want them since they don't have a whole lot to offer but the exclusives they have are oh so bloody awesome. So eventually you end up buying them anyway.

I owned an N64, but haven't really played a Nintendo game since. It's the kiddy style that has kept me away and I just feel too old. But Nintendo stands for (at least they did in the N64 days) all the things I think are important for good game design (great variety, no bloating, "hand crafted" content, simple mechanics that still offer a high skill ceiling and feel just right to do. Lots of playing, very little watching/reading).

Just like you I have a really soft spot for Zelda. I'm making another playthrough of A Link to the Past atm and it's just an incredible game. I can't say how much I wish Ubi tried to go more in the Zelda direction rather than the bloat/microtransaction/MMO direction.

Maybe I need to embrace the child inside and go Nintendo again :)!

STDlyMcStudpants
05-25-2014, 05:58 PM
They just brush over it like it's nothing..kind of like they do with final fantasy...
The only time they mention AC is to highlight it's weaknesses...
They were talking about do stories matter in games and someone said jokingly 'assassins creed, because we all play that game for its story.. ha..ha..ha'
I actually took offense to that cheap shot as i find Assassin's Creed's story the best in gaming history....
They just overall have no appreciate or respect for the series at ign.

Dev_Anj
05-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Assassin's Creed's story the best in gaming history....

That's a bold statement. I can appreciate the underlying concept, and the historical stories are entertaining in parts and pieces, but best in gaming history? That's stretching it.

Hans684
05-25-2014, 07:18 PM
That's a bold statement. I can appreciate the underlying concept, and the historical stories are entertaining in parts and pieces, but best in gaming history? That's stretching it.

Saying that for any game is a bold statement.

lothario-da-be
05-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Saying that for any game is a bold statement.
Except for The last of us.
And this list is utter sh*t.

Hans684
05-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Except for The last of us.

The Last Of Us is the only game that I find better then the AC series, but still bold to say the best in history. The Last Of Us 2 might be even better than the first one, so don't judge to fast .

And this list is utter sh*t.

Agree, might have to fix it myself soon.

lothario-da-be
05-25-2014, 08:26 PM
The Last Of Us is the only game that I find better then the AC series, but still bold to say the best in history. The Last Of Us 2 might be even better than the first one, so don't judge to fast .

Agree, might have to fix it myself soon.
Well of course its bold to say, its all opinion. But The last of us easily had the best story in ANY media for me.

Hans684
05-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Well of course its bold to say, its all opinion. But The last of us easily had the best story in ANY media for me.

That is something I agree with.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-26-2014, 01:21 AM

You forgot to add the words 'I find' in that quote :P
Now I know how it feels to run for office hahahaha
The walking dead season one was the best written game i've ever played...
I am well aware that technically speaking Assassin's Creed's story isn't the most thought out or best written (it has multiple writers which can sometimes make it feel like a jumbled mess) but out of all literature..movies..shows..video games..any type of fictional narrative.. I've never obsessed over any as much as I do Assassin's Creed...
This is the only forum period let alone for video games, that I am active in.
Assassin's Creed tells a subliminal story that I can appreciate....
It's the only game with a story that has me wondering up until it's next release.
In my personal opinion, AC does not get the respect it deserves from any gaming outlet.

ze_topazio
05-26-2014, 01:36 AM
Outside of this forums the AC games stories are not really considered anything extraordinary, they are just okay/good for most people, enough to justify the killing and parkour.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-26-2014, 01:44 AM
Outside of this forums the AC games stories are not really considered anything extraordinary, they are just okay/good for most people, enough to justify the killing and parkour.

Yes, I know lol... I don't get it lol...
I don't understand how people can't love AC :D
It probably has to do with our elements

Polar set 1
Earth (Deep thinkers)
or
Wind (Very social)

Polar set 2
Water (Very caring)
or
Fire (Power hungry, natural leader)

We all have a primary and secondary.. I'm Earth/Fire... I almost guarantee that 98% of us in this forum are Primary Earth haha

I-Like-Pie45
05-26-2014, 01:45 AM
We are not your kind of people.

ze_topazio
05-26-2014, 01:47 AM
Well, I ain't no Pokémon.

I-Like-Pie45
05-26-2014, 01:48 AM
You've come across a terrible fate, haven't you?

STDlyMcStudpants
05-26-2014, 01:49 AM
Well, I ain't no Pokémon.
hahahahahaa maybe you are :O

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Yes, I know lol... I don't get it lol...
I don't understand how people can't love AC :D
It probably has to do with our elements

Polar set 1
Earth (Deep thinkers)
or
Wind (Very social)

Polar set 2
Water (Very caring)
or
Fire (Power hungry, natural leader)

We all have a primary and secondary.. I'm Earth/Fire... I almost guarantee that 98% of us in this forum are Primary Earth haha

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/69/6900e22130e77b88a417cd939fef6bc4092459b5070f36cea0 250645b2082359.jpg

I-Like-Pie45
05-26-2014, 02:56 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/69/6900e22130e77b88a417cd939fef6bc4092459b5070f36cea0 250645b2082359.jpg

It's easier if you don't try to understand.

Want sandvich?

Sushiglutton
05-26-2014, 04:06 PM
I'm primarily icecream with sprinkle on top.

Kirokill
05-26-2014, 04:24 PM
It's easier if you don't try to understand.

This is actually true in some cases.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-26-2014, 06:13 PM

I take my theory back..you are def not earth lol
Basically I was saying that only certain personality types truly appreciate assassins creed

STDlyMcStudpants
05-28-2014, 07:50 AM
I'm actually calculating the top 100 games based on both critic and gamer views...
I've went through 95 games so far and ACR is the closest in the series to falling off of the list... and surpsingly of all AC games.. ACB is actually the furthest up :)