PDA

View Full Version : Two things I thought about in Freedom Cry

Sushiglutton
05-22-2014, 04:38 PM
I finished FC a couple of months back and there were a couple of things that struck me (sorry that they are so unrelated, didn't feel like making two threads):

1) I really liked how you could find equipment in the world. For example there was an island up north where you could find a new blunderbuss. It was lying in a camp surrounded by guards. It reminded me of Zelda the way you could find actual valuable items in the open world. This is not really something AC has ever done. Mostly the world is just filled to the brim with generic junk that you can then use to purchase weapons in the store. I much prefer the FC way!

Ofc even better would be if it wasn't so strongly indicated that you should find something there. Kind of gives away the suprise. As I've said before I'm no fan of the checklist design AC has going atm. Still it was a step in the right direction for making exploration more rewarding!

2) I'm so over investigation missions. There was this one mission in FC where you could perform five (can't really remember any more) investigations. Stuff like pickpocketing, eavesdropping, chase (?) etc. Man are these activities stale. If I never had to do these things ever again I'd be a happy camper. Imo the campaign should primarily consist of open infiltrations and big setpiece/action moments (I liked the mission where Adewale boarded the slaveship). These tiny generic mini-missions just don't hold up aymore.

SixKeys
05-22-2014, 06:41 PM
I didn't mind the investigations. Some of them were just a bit annoying because the AI could screw you over. I would like them to return in some form in future games.

I wasn't a big fan of finding weapons in the world. Probably because I found the golden machete practically at the beginning, making the other upgrades pointless (the ones you receive as rewards for freeing slaves) and making combat incredibly easy. I would prefer collecting weapon parts so that we could later forge them together.

Jexx21
05-22-2014, 06:52 PM
great, now I want crafting to evolve into a weapon system

would be cool to play as an Assassin who is also a blacksmith that crafts their own weapons.

guardian_titan
05-22-2014, 08:21 PM
TOKW had you find weapon upgrades in the world, too, although those were in chests. FC wasn't the first in the series to do it, but since I haven't seen anything on it and don't care to (I didn't like Adéwalé since I found him flatter than a pancake as a character), I have no idea how upgrades were done in that. Doing a mix of getting upgrades through story, finding them in the world, and buying them would be nice. Have certain upgrades available via the story much like it's been, then have a few upgrades that are found only in the world, and others only via shops. Then have a few that can be found either in the world or in shops which saves some money. Having some through the crafting system would also be nice so the upgrades are all scattered and have alternate paths to achieve them. Some people may not like hunting so having upgrades available via hunting also available to buy would make that more enjoyable for those that hate hunting.

Might be interesting to throw the odd objects in the world you can take off with like a painting or vase to decorate your hideout with, too, rather than just buying them all in shops. They can be objects you can miss if you aren't paying attention so something to make you pay attention to the world but aren't really game breaking if you miss them. Have the odd weapon upgrade scattered around like that, too, rather than have them in chests. Like you might find a good sword just hanging behind some random Templar's coat of arms or a gun hanging off the back of a chair.

As for investigations, games often have tedious parts. I have yet to see a game that isn't repetitive with something. Since part of being an assassin is knowing your target, I don't see them going away. But maybe investigations can have multiple paths so we can chose what we want to do. Those who like pickpocketing can pickpocket all of their investigations. Those who like eavesdropping can do that. Maybe we can look for objects in the world like papers, books, etc as well. Would be nice to see more options rather than be told to do something and only that. Maybe they can just give us a point system per investigation like we need 5 points to advance the story. Finding objects might get us 1 point, pickpocketing might get us 2, eavesdropping might get us 3. So easier methods would take more to advance, but for those that want to, they can do the harder method and be done faster. Or they can mix and match.

Sushiglutton
05-22-2014, 09:13 PM
I wasn't a big fan of finding weapons in the world. Probably because I found the golden machete practically at the beginning, making the other upgrades pointless (the ones you receive as rewards for freeing slaves) and making combat incredibly easy. I would prefer collecting weapon parts so that we could later forge them together.

I mean as usual Ubi implemented the system in such a casual way that it makes you blush (Putting up a big "Secret Over Here!"-sign pretty much). But I just like the idea of being able to find actual valuable things through exploration. It reminded me of good ol' Link to the Past where you could find medallions, an ice staff, a cape, bottles etc (basically really cool, but for completion non essential items). I much prefer that type of structure over the grind-go-to-a-shop one. And obv it doesn't have to be that you find the stuff lying around. Could be that you meet someone and they give you some kind of mission and when you return you get proper reward.

Difference between finding parts, or complete items is not that important I feel. You can have a little of both.

TOKW had you find weapon upgrades in the world, too, although those were in chests. FC wasn't the first in the series to do it, but since I haven't seen anything on it and don't care to (I didn't like Adéwalé since I found him flatter than a pancake as a character), I have no idea how upgrades were done in that. Doing a mix of getting upgrades through story, finding them in the world, and buying them would be nice. Have certain upgrades available via the story much like it's been, then have a few upgrades that are found only in the world, and others only via shops. Then have a few that can be found either in the world or in shops which saves some money. Having some through the crafting system would also be nice so the upgrades are all scattered and have alternate paths to achieve them. Some people may not like hunting so having upgrades available via hunting also available to buy would make that more enjoyable for those that hate hunting.

Might be interesting to throw the odd objects in the world you can take off with like a painting or vase to decorate your hideout with, too, rather than just buying them all in shops. They can be objects you can miss if you aren't paying attention so something to make you pay attention to the world but aren't really game breaking if you miss them. Have the odd weapon upgrade scattered around like that, too, rather than have them in chests. Like you might find a good sword just hanging behind some random Templar's coat of arms or a gun hanging off the back of a chair.

Never played TOKW because I didn't want to support AC3 with another nickel. But did it have the actual physical weapons in the world (aka no chest, the actual model). Small thing, but I like it. I like your ideas of having a bit of a mix. Some stuff could be a bit contrived to find, so it makes sense to sell them (and ammo obv). I actually sugested a similar thing about the art pieces in my tourist thread :). Could be neat I feel.

I really lik ehte sense of discovery. Unfortunately the AC designers seem terrified of anyone missing a single item which kind of ruins the fun for me. Playing AC is a bit like doing the taxes. You have your checklist next to you and then you go through it line by line to make sure everything is right.

As for investigations, games often have tedious parts. I have yet to see a game that isn't repetitive with something. Since part of being an assassin is knowing your target, I don't see them going away. But maybe investigations can have multiple paths so we can chose what we want to do. Those who like pickpocketing can pickpocket all of their investigations. Those who like eavesdropping can do that. Maybe we can look for objects in the world like papers, books, etc as well. Would be nice to see more options rather than be told to do something and only that. Maybe they can just give us a point system per investigation like we need 5 points to advance the story. Finding objects might get us 1 point, pickpocketing might get us 2, eavesdropping might get us 3. So easier methods would take more to advance, but for those that want to, they can do the harder method and be done faster. Or they can mix and match.

And for those who dislike all of them lol? I thought they were ok in the first couple of games, but a sixth time not so much. Open infiltrations have also been around since the beginning, but I'll never get tired of that form of gameplay I feel. But these investigation type missions (feel similar about chases/tackle missions) are just so freaking dull to keep repeating. I understand there has to be some downtime in games, but I don't see the point of turning them into chores.