PDA

View Full Version : Just played Assassins Creed for the first time and...

JustPlainQuirky
05-22-2014, 02:51 AM
....it felt a lot different from AC3 and AC4.

For those who don't know I just got into the franchise early this year. I beat AC3 first (loved it), then AC4, and then I bought the others on steam (aside from Liberation which I'm waiting for it to be on sale). I recently got access to a decent PC and played AC:1. And boy was I surprised.

The game felt entirely different in tone, formula, and gameplay style. It felt a bit looser than the others in terms of free-running. It also felt more open and up to the player to figure things out rather than follow a green dot. Also Altair is surprisingly brutal, killing pretty much every messenger ever. (something Edward and Connor would never do IMO). Though the only thing is the gameplay was kind of repetative. (tho I'm still playing it now).

Overall I'm surprised at how different it feels. I like it. I feel like I have more freedom and have to figure more things out to myself. Had it been less repetative though, I would have liked it even more. Though I have no problem with the newer games. They just feel more restrictive and linear if that makes sense.

Do you prefer the original Assassin's Creed game style or the newer ones?

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-22-2014, 02:54 AM

For those who don't know I just got into the franchise early this year. I beat AC3 first (loved it), then AC4, and then I bought the others on steam (aside from Liberation which I'm waiting for it to be on sale). I recently got access to a decent PC and played AC:1. And boy was I surprised.

The game felt entirely different in tone, formula, and gameplay style. It felt a bit looser than the others in terms of free-running. It also felt more open and up to the player to figure things out rather than follow a green dot. Also Altair is surprisingly brutal, killing pretty much every messenger ever. (something Edward and Connor would never do IMO). Though the only thing is the gameplay was kind of repetative. (tho I'm still playing it now).

Overall I'm surprised at how different it feels. I like it. I feel like I have more freedom and have to figure more things out to myself. Had it been less repetative though, I would have liked it even more. Though I have no problem with the newer games. They just feel more restrictive and linear if that makes sense.

Glad you finally played the first one. That one was my favorite along with AC3 and I agree it was very different from the games after it. Who knows? Maybe Unity [and Comet] will go back to those kind of roots.

Shahkulu101
05-22-2014, 02:57 AM
I adored it at first but the repetitiveness sucked the soul out of the experience and made it the worst game in the franchise, in my opinion. The assassination missions were great though - probably the best.

ze_topazio
05-22-2014, 02:59 AM
I prefer the free-running, climbing and fighting in AC1/2/Bro/Rev than in AC3/4/Lib, specially the free-running and climbing.

Assassin_M
05-22-2014, 03:24 AM

I'm glad you're liking it so far, seeing as you went BACK to it, i can imagine the experience can be a little biased since AC I is the most primitive formula. definitely prefer it, though over the newer ones.

I would suggest playing it without HUD. The investigations will have an added layer of exploration and it'll feel so much more open than it already is. each bureau leader gives general locations about investigations, use those ques to find the investigation location without using the map.

RudeOnion
05-22-2014, 04:18 AM
AC2 is my forever-favorite of the franchise, lol. While I started with AC1 (way back when it first came out), and enjoyed it enough to eagerly anticipate AC2, AC2 just blew me away. The story, the characters, the location, the Truth puzzles, the introduction of hidden areas, the platforming - everything just felt RIGHT. Honestly, if I could only pick one AC game to play for the rest of my life, it'd be AC2. Even without the mp. I've played through the whole game more times than I can remember, lol.

LoyalACFan
05-22-2014, 05:04 AM
AC1 is my least favorite, but tonally, it's easily the best in the franchise. We're playing as people who MURDER others because of ideological differences; there should be some weight to that, no matter how justified we think it may be. AC1 was the only game that was dark enough to 1.) accurately convey the weight of the Assassin's actions, and 2.) convince the player that the Assassins weren't necessarily the "good" guys. AC2 has been derided for whitewashing the Assassin/Templar war, and that's true enough, though I think we needed a game that showed what happens when Templar ideology goes awry. Ever since then, though, there's been an undeniable twinge of cheesiness to the story (made worse by the increasing ridiculousness of the modern-day plot). I feel like they've been shying away from the stark brutality of AC1 to make it more family-friendly or something. It's as if they've forgotten that they're making M-rated games. Since it's set in such a bloody and unromanticized era, I'm really hoping Unity will pull out all the stops and deliver a story that harkens back to dark, morally-ambiguous tone of AC1.

In terms of gameplay though, AC1 really shows its age. People will remember AC1 combat through rose-colored glasses until the end of time, but I replayed it recently and it just doesn't hold up. AC4 combat is mediocre, but it's infinitely better than AC1 and AC2's. In terms of mission structure, AC1 was brilliant in that it didn't HAVE much structure, in the assassination missions at least. Unity could really learn a lot from it in that respect. And my God... the repetition. Investigations are all right, but not good enough to make up 70% of the gameplay.

Shahkulu101
05-22-2014, 05:58 AM
AC1 is my least favorite, but tonally, it's easily the best in the franchise. We're playing as people who MURDER others because of ideological differences; there should be some weight to that, no matter how justified we think it may be. AC1 was the only game that was dark enough to 1.) accurately convey the weight of the Assassin's actions, and 2.) convince the player that the Assassins weren't necessarily the "good" guys. AC2 has been derided for whitewashing the Assassin/Templar war, and that's true enough, though I think we needed a game that showed what happens when Templar ideology goes awry. Ever since then, though, there's been an undeniable twinge of cheesiness to the story (made worse by the increasing ridiculousness of the modern-day plot). I feel like they've been shying away from the stark brutality of AC1 to make it more family-friendly or something. It's as if they've forgotten that they're making M-rated games. Since it's set in such a bloody and unromanticized era, I'm really hoping Unity will pull out all the stops and deliver a story that harkens back to dark, morally-ambiguous tone of AC1.

In terms of gameplay though, AC1 really shows its age. People will remember AC1 combat through rose-colored glasses until the end of time, but I replayed it recently and it just doesn't hold up. AC4 combat is mediocre, but it's infinitely better than AC1 and AC2's. In terms of mission structure, AC1 was brilliant in that it didn't HAVE much structure, in the assassination missions at least. Unity could really learn a lot from it in that respect. And my God... the repetition. Investigations are all right, but not good enough to make up 70% of the gameplay.

I don't know, AC3's Templar's and even Ahmet from ACR weren't cheesy bad guys at all. In fact in AC3, the Templar's actions are arguably more justified than Connor' himself - and compellingly so - Connor ignited the war with the killing of Pitcairn when the Templars only wanted to ward off the possibility of war, for instance.

Jexx21
05-22-2014, 06:05 AM
technically the Templars started the war with the Boston Massacre, which they incited.

LoyalACFan
05-22-2014, 06:17 AM
I don't know, AC3's Templar's and even Ahmet from ACR weren't cheesy bad guys at all. In fact in AC3, the Templar's actions are arguably more justified than Connor' himself - and compellingly so - Connor ignited the war with the killing of Pitcairn when the Templars only wanted to ward off the possibility of war, for instance.

I don't really mean "cheesy" as in "mustache-twirling muahahahaha" villains, but just a general impression that we've become detached from the gritty realism of the first game. I don't know, maybe cheesy is the wrong word, but I just feel like the AC stories have been glossing over the brutality of Assassin life since AC2. Maybe the villains aren't even the problem; maybe it's the way the Assassins are portrayed. I mean, Altair and Al Mualim were pretty cold bastards. Ezio and his successors were all good-hearted lads who just happened to be cold-blooded murderers. Don't get me wrong, I liked all three of them more than Altair, but there seemed to be a definite disconnect between their job and their personality (arguably more so with Connor and Edward than with Ezio, since Ezio had a personal vendetta against the ones he killed).

Altair was pretty one-dimensional in AC1, but he at least seemed to fit the bill for an Assassin. His successors were more likeable and compelling, but didn't feel as much like Assassins. I just think there's a happy medium to be found between "cold-hearted cardboard cutout" and "traditional leading man" that would fit more seamlessly with the Assassin role. I can't help but think of Mike from Breaking Bad; he's a cold, silent, badass hitman, but he's also a compelling, likeable character. ACR Ezio was probably the best combination of "Assassin" and "likeable" we've had so far, since he was still the character I loved from AC2, but old and jaded enough to chisel off the boisterous naivete that held him back from seeming much like a proper Assassin.

I sort of feel like I'm drifting off-topic, but the tone of AC is something that's rarely discussed so I'm jumping on the opportunity.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-22-2014, 06:20 AM
technically the Templars started the war with the Boston Massacre, which they incited.

Very true, and to this day I don't even know why...

LoyalACFan
05-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Very true, and to this day I don't even know why...

Lol yeah, I don't even know where they were going with that exactly. I mean, they wanted the colonies to sever from England so they could take over the new government, so they triggered the massacre to set the stage for a revolution... but then Haytham got pissed at Connor because he actually started the revolution. What gives?

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-22-2014, 06:40 AM
Lol yeah, I don't even know where they were going with that exactly. I mean, they wanted the colonies to sever from England so they could take over the new government, so they triggered the massacre to set the stage for a revolution... but then Haytham got pissed at Connor because he actually started the revolution. What gives?

I know, right? Not to mention Haytham blamed Connor for the massacre, or did he even know it was Connor or just wanted to place the blame on someone?

Farlander1991
05-22-2014, 07:19 AM

Because they weren't setting a stage for a revolution, they were setting a stage for a secession without a war. As Pitcairn himself said, 'these things take time', but discontent and bitterness among the population is one of the ingredients.

Not to mention Haytham blamed Connor for the massacre

Huh? That didn't happen.

Anyway, on the topic of AC1.

I love AC1. And I love some of the things that it does like no other game does, like being fully (and I do mean FULLY) designed to be played without a HUD. And that is awesome. You can't play any other AC game without a HUD, not comfortably at least - sooner or later there will come a point where you just won't know where the **** to go, something that never happens in AC1 due to the way it's designed. However, I do think that it may be somewhat overrated among the fans. Not counting the optional objectives (which paint unnecessary restrictions in the mind even if in principle there aren't), and the fact that the HUD tends to point to a lot of things, AC4 has as much freedom as AC1 does. So the devs are almost back on track :D

And speaking of AC1 and why I think it can be overrated, people mostly remember the main assassination missions. What about the missions that are failed if we're noticed and have to be completed in a strict time limit (archer and soldier assassinations)? What about missions which are failed if we enter open conflict with soldiers? (interrogation) What about missions which are failed if we get far away from a target? (interrogation and thievery, though to be fair the limits are a lot more lenient than in other games, but they're still there). AC1 has got its own share of restrictions, and sometimes the comparisons between it and other AC games seem weird to me.

GunnerGalactico
05-22-2014, 09:46 AM

Partially agree with this, apart from the other Templars... the only time I felt Connor made a bad move was by killing Pitcairn.

On topic, I agree with most of the people here. Despite the repetitiveness of AC1, I still felt that it was a good game. I really enjoyed the plot and the era it was set in. At the beginning of the game, I didn't really have a good impression of Altair but as I progressed into the game, I started to like him. The thing I enjoyed the most about AC1 waas exploring the different cities and climbing in Acre and Damascus.

SixKeys
05-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Definitely try playing without HUD, it adds so much to the experience. Instead of beelining towards an icon on your map, you start navigating by sound: you quickly learn to distinguish the important street preachers (aka the ones you're supposed to beat up for information) from regular ones who are always spouting the same propaganda, and you learn to find "save citizen" missions by listening to the cries coming from somewhere in your vicinity. You can even keep count of how many throwing knives you have on you just by looking at Alta´r's character model: the throwing knives he's carrying actually disappear when he uses them.

OP brings up a good point about Alta´r killing every messenger. It's actually something I haven't thought about lately, but you're right. In the newer games the assassins usually spare the lives of informants as long as they're being helpful. Even after Alta´r started to grow a conscience, he would always kill the informants to make sure there were no witnesses.

"Then you'll let me go?
-Would that I could. *SHING* "

Harsh, but sensible.

I view AC1 and the later games as entirely different experiences. The sequels are more GTA-esque running around causing havoc, the first one is all about immersing yourself in the atmosphere. My two favorite games are ACB and AC1, two very different games and for entirely different reasons.

pacmanate
05-22-2014, 12:55 PM
I love the first one too, it definitely has a darker and grittier tone than everything that proceeded it.

oliacr
05-22-2014, 01:14 PM

It is a very good question. I would say both. I liked both.

Bastiaen
05-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Welcome to the club. Those that know me on here know that I love all the AC games, and rarely complain about anything in them. I'm just generally an optimist though. I appreciate each of the games for what they are. I'm currently replaying AC1 with my wife, and it's great to go back to it. Them feels!!!

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Yeah, AC1 was awesome for me...I might just go play it again to refresh my memories of how awesome it was ^_^

Sushiglutton
05-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Welcome to the club. Those that know me on here know that I love all the AC games, and rarely complain about anything in them. I'm just generally an optimist though. I appreciate each of the games for what they are. I'm currently replaying AC1 with my wife, and it's great to go back to it. Them feels!!!

Bet you are looking forward to Unity so you won't have to fight over the controller any more :)!

HercRembrandt
05-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Nice to hear that a more recent AC player can get into an earlier game without overwhelming feelings of primitivity or whatnot. For me, AC1 was a true landmark game. I know some people will dismiss this as nostalgia, but hey, at least it gave me the feels to get nostalgic for. Unfortunately not all of these games do.

AC1 is in my opinion one of those "less is more" games, like Shadow of The Colossus is better for not having hundreds of mooks to hack through. The later versions of AC suffer from trying to be all things to all people, while 1 had a palpable sense of focus to it. I think it is somewhat mistaken to identify this feeling of deadly purpose with standard-issue "dark" and "grit", which are the kind of buzzwords that frequently give developers bad (and extremely cliched) ideas. AC1 had a vision, and it didn't stray from it to accommodate stray mechanics that just happened to float by (naval metaphor deliberate).

Of course it helped that the whole idea of AC is inspired by a medieval sect of assassins, so they fit in quite naturally. AC4, on the other hand, would have been much preferable for me at least as "Yaarr, 'tis the Pirate's Life for Me 1", with no attempt to shoehorn the Creed stuff in.

frodrigues55
05-22-2014, 10:39 PM
Good to know you will finally play the classics! You are going to enjoy it!

Storywise, AC1 is probably AC in its purest natural form. It's not very cinematic and a bit dull in presentation, but if you can see past that, it's really something to appreciate, isn't it? It's not only the gameplay that is really different, but the game itself. Seeing the order working as a Brotherhood adds to that immersion AC1 provides.

It's such a shame gameplay lacks, though. I hope you can take your time, hang in there and trully do all investigations. It's going to be a complete bore at times, but it pays off in the end. Hang on to see how different it is from AC2 as well. Playing the games back to back will probably shock you, AC2 goes miles beyond AC1, it's almost shocking how they came from the same people.

SixKeys
05-23-2014, 01:56 AM
This thread finally pushed me to go back and play AC1 again. It's making me think about some stuff that has changed radically, might make a thread later on.

JustPlainQuirky
05-23-2014, 02:04 AM
Though I will say while playing that the combat against soldiers is pretty terrible.

I understand you're meant to escape and not fight, but it's such a hassle just locking on to a certain guy. And even then my attacks only go through every now and then. And I feel like the counter button doesn't even work half the time.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. But whenever there's even just 3 guys it's like impossible for me to take 'em down.

Shahkulu101
05-23-2014, 02:15 AM
I tried to replay AC1 the other night funnily enough, the beginning felt painfully slow and it was a little depressing running through events I'd seen two times before. I think I'm going to give it about a year until I replay the series again - the over familiarity made it feel like a sludge, so I presume that's what all the games are going to feel like.

I kind of wish I could erase my memory sometimes, but be aware that I erased my memory of course, so I would know to replay the titles and it would all feel new again.

SixKeys
05-23-2014, 02:27 PM
I'm just up to the first assassination mission so far (Tamir) and right now I'm just overwhelmed by how much I still love this game.

-One thing I'm much more aware of is the music/soundscape. There are creepy whispers and wind instruments in the background all the time. It really creates a tense, threatening atmosphere. Already at the beginning, before you're demoted, Alta´r walks into the fortress at Masyaf to deliver the news. There are armed guards lined up at the foot of the stairs to Al Mualim, and you're the only one who isn't allowed to use weapons. (As per the "safe area" restrictions.) The ominous music kicks in and you start hearing these whispers as you approach the leader of the assassins. You really feel the gravity of the situation. Just the fact of walking past all those guards looking completely focused and ready to kill - as opposed to the guards in the Ezio trilogy who are always shuffling their feet and looking like disinterested bums just waiting to get paid - does so much to put you in Alta´r's frame of mind. He has failed his master, and could be killed for insubordinance.

-I'm really noticing how much care they took to make the game playable HUD-less. In the Kingdom, you have signs pointing you towards different cities should you get lost. In cities, eagles only appear above viewpoints that you haven't synced yet. I'm also more annoyed than ever that AC still doesn't have random events after all these years. On my way to the bureau, I just happened to run past an informant ready to challenge me. I was determined to do things "right" and not start any investigations until I was given the orders, so I ignored him. When I came back from the bureau, I tried to find him again but couldn't (no minimap). I love that. The idea that you could have a chance to start an investigation if you bump into the right person, but if you ignore them, they'll disappear into the crowd. In this case it was just me getting lost and not finding the person, but the principle still stands. :p

-One thing that has definitely improved is the camera. It's headache-inducing in AC1. Every time you exit a haybale, the camera zooms out a little, then zooms right back in and forces you to look in the direction Alta´r is facing before giving you control again. Inside a haybale your vision is more limited than in later games. You can't look completely up towards the sky, for example.

-I had forgotten in AC1 you have to manually lock on before attacking. It's gotten me into trouble a few times when I tried to kill a Templar knight and forgot to lock on before using my hidden blade. Alta´r just bumps into him and pisses him off.

-God, the lighting in this game is incredible.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2n0ojde.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/dh4d3d.jpg

-I'm also remembering how the crowd used to react much more naturally to anything socially unacceptable. This needs to be brought back. Just knowing that the crowd is actually noticing me is making me want to be more socially stealthy. If I kill a guard on the street, they don't just stop and stare awkwardly at the body for a while. They start running and shouting things like "Guards! Come quick! That man is a killer!". In AC2 and onwards this was replaced with funnier lines like "I can't die; I'm beautiful!" but the realistic reactions are much better IMO.

- ...LOL.

http://i62.tinypic.com/14khdgx.jpg

Sushiglutton
05-23-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm really noticing how much care they took to make the game playable HUD-less.

This is probably the thing I like/miss the most about AC1. The checklist-design (part of it is to mark everything out for you) of the later entries is starting to bother me more and more. It's so mechanical.

Shahkulu101
05-23-2014, 02:42 PM
What I hate more is annoyingly obtuse design in approach to side missions. Like GTAV for example, where you need to first buy businesses for Godly amounts of money to unlock a whole chain of side missions.

Kirokill
05-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Sixkeys can you take other screenshots in different cities and the kingdom? They look so beautiful!

Farlander1991
05-23-2014, 02:45 PM
This is probably the thing I like/miss the most about AC1. The checklist-design (part of it is to mark everything out for you) of the later entries are starting to bother me more and more. It's so mechanical.

To be fair, technically AC1 has got checklist design as well ;)

Honestly, I don't mind progress trackers and seeing how much of non-systemically created content there's left in the game. The games have a huge world, it can be a pain to search for ghosts. But it would be nice to have that content have more purpose.

I need some time before trying to replay AC1 again. Maybe it's because I've played it so many times already, but during my last playthrough this year when I tried to replay it, by the time I got to Tamir I was so bored. Closed the game after.

Sushiglutton
05-23-2014, 02:49 PM
To be fair, technically AC1 has got checklist design as well ;)

Honestly, I don't mind progress trackers and seeing how much of non-systemically created content there's left in the game. The games have a huge world, it can be a pain to search for ghosts. But it would be nice to have that content have more purpose.

I need some time before trying to replay AC1 again. Maybe it's because I've played it so many times already, but during my last playthrough this year when I tried to replay it, by the time I got to Tamir I was so bored. Closed the game after.

Yeah it does I suppose, but the priority feels different. I would love a greater emphasis on player discovery as I think that is (potentially) an important part of OW games.

I tried to replay AC1 too not long ago, can't do it anymore.

Farlander1991
05-23-2014, 02:53 PM
I would love a greater emphasis on player discovery as I think that is (potentially) an important part of OW games.

Well, both yes and no. The way I look at it: player discovery is very important, but it's also important to have an optional way to skip the discovery process as content withers down and gets a lot more spread out.

Sushiglutton
05-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Well, both yes and no. The way I look at it: player discovery is very important, but it's also important to have an optional way to skip the discovery process as content withers down and gets a lot more spread out.

Sell maps in the stores ;). You can't think that getting a checklist every time you get to a new location is a good solution :(

Farlander1991
05-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Sell maps in the stores ;). You can't think that getting a checklist every time you get to a new location is a good solution :(

Eh, it should be a separate button prompt probably :p Checklists don't have anything to do with maps, though ;) There's a difference between knowing how much content there is in a given location and where exactly to find it.

Though, to be honest, while I'm not necessarily a fan of 'stuff shows on mini-map automatically', stuff like animus fragments and treasure chests is so mundane that with those particular things I don't mind (but to be totally honest, stuff like treasure chests in case of AC games doesn't have to be a part of a 100% completion at all, BECAUSE it's so mundane, it should be just a 'oh, a treasure chest!' while you're on your way for some more meaningful content - you don't have to worry about finding them all unless you really want to).

JustPlainQuirky
05-23-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm about halfway done the game I think.

ACfan443
05-23-2014, 07:31 PM

-I'm also remembering how the crowd used to react much more naturally to anything socially unacceptable. This needs to be brought back. Just knowing that the crowd is actually noticing me is making me want to be more socially stealthy. If I kill a guard on the street, they don't just stop and stare awkwardly at the body for a while. They start running and shouting things like "Guards! Come quick! That man is a killer!". In AC2 and onwards this was replaced with funnier lines like "I can't die; I'm beautiful!" but the realistic reactions are much better IMO.

- ...LOL.

Beautiful shots, you can't deny that the game looks stunning to this day. From a technical standpoint, out of all the older AC games I feel AC1 has aged the best.

GunnerGalactico
05-23-2014, 07:38 PM

- ...LOL.

Those screenshots are stunning!

JustPlainQuirky
05-23-2014, 08:49 PM
The weird guys in the streets who mumble jibberish and push me unprovoked are annoying. What's their problem? are they slaves?

GunnerGalactico
05-23-2014, 09:15 PM
The weird guys in the streets who mumble jibberish and push me unprovoked are annoying. What's their problem? are they slaves?

They are not slaves, they're just mentally ill patients walking about in the streets. They are very annoying.

SixKeys
05-23-2014, 09:15 PM

They're lepers, I think, or just crazy people. If you punch them, they'll run away but you'll draw attention to yourself.

JustPlainQuirky
05-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Okie dokie. Thanks. I'm 2/3 done the game I think.:rolleyes:

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Okie dokie. Thanks. I'm 2/3 done the game I think.:rolleyes:

Thanks to you, I'm going to go play some AC1 now just to relive the memories and to pick up anything I might have missed on the first play through :) lol

JustPlainQuirky
05-23-2014, 11:32 PM
I swear to god the mission where you have to assassinate like 6 people in a row is the most annoying mission ever. i've replayed it like 12 times now

Farlander1991
05-23-2014, 11:39 PM
I swear to god the mission where you have to assassinate like 6 people in a row is the most annoying mission ever. i've replayed it like 12 times now

This is one of the things I've mentioned in my post. Everybody remembers the awesome main target assassination missions (which are like just 20% of the game at most), but rarely people remember stuff like this one - a mission where you have to kill under a certain time limit 6 targets which are spread out over a very wide area and you fail the mission if get noticed (and let me tell you, crazy people on the streets don't help during that mission at all). And it's not like it's the only mission in AC1 like that (and again, not saying that AC1 sucks, it was my most favourite AC game right up until AC4 took that spot, now it's my 2nd most favourite even though I can't really bear to replay it right now, just that I've noticed fans tend to selectively forget some things).

SixKeys
05-24-2014, 12:03 AM
That mission is one of the few annoying things about AC1. I think it's fair to allow a game one or two misses if the rest is solid, like I believe is the case with AC1. It's not necessarily that people forget that mission, it's just not worth panning the whole game for ONE annoying mission. (Okay, two if you count the merchant stand destruction one.) Whereas the later games have a larger number of missions in general, so there's also more to criticize.

BTW, that mission is actually more reminiscent of the mission structure in later games than anything else in AC1. It's not that hard once you figure out the right order in which to approach each target - an order that was probably more or less planned by the devs. In later games this is extremely common to missions in general: you have to tackle targets in the most efficient way, which usually means taking them down in a specific order. Just consider the plantations in AC4. There may not be a literal counter hurrying you up, but you usually have to consider "if I take down that sniper in X seconds, I have Y seconds to reach the next guy before he turns his back and looks away". In AC1 this type of mission is an exception rather than a rule.

Locopells
05-24-2014, 12:24 AM
That mission is one of the few annoying things about AC1. I think it's fair to allow a game one or two misses if the rest is solid, like I believe is the case with AC1. It's not necessarily that people forget that mission, it's just not worth panning the whole game for ONE annoying mission. (Okay, two if you count the merchant stand destruction one.) Whereas the later games have a larger number of missions in general, so there's also more to criticize.

The trick with the merchant stand destruction missions is to learn the art of running past and knocking the guy at the back of the crowd into the ones in front, which results in a domino effect, and the one at the very front triggering the stand to fall. By the time this happens, you should be well gone already - if you keep running without breaking stride - and even further gone by the time the guards start to investigate - and you don't get noticed or blamed for it either, since it's an 'accident'...

JustPlainQuirky
05-24-2014, 01:09 AM
I never did any of the stand missions. I skipped all those. Right now i'm on the final assassination target. It was such a pain assassinating 5 more guys to get information. :(

But I'm close to beating the game. then i can move on to AC2, the popular one.

Jexx21
05-24-2014, 01:14 AM
I actually like the missions were you have to kill the guards without being spotted..

JustPlainQuirky
05-24-2014, 02:47 AM
Just beat the game. Ending was super abrupt. They knew they were getting a sequel.

I disliked having to run from the guards. sometimes i had ran for five minutes straight. it was annoying and tedious and frustrating. The guards aren't easily killed like in AC3 and AC4. The rest of the game was fun though.

I discovered Malik is a sweetie and Altair is a bit of a meanie. He doesn't spare people at all unless they're female or kids. But he got nicer in the end.

Pretty good game. The free-running was very solid. Not much character development going on though aside from 3 characters. Overall I'd give it an 8.

On to AC2 :rolleyes:

SixKeys
05-24-2014, 03:02 AM
Just beat the game. Ending was super abrupt. They knew they were getting a sequel.

Not so much "knew" as "hoped", I think. Judging by how many things were either changed or ignored from AC2 onwards (especially in the modern day side of things), the first game was very experimental and they hadn't really planned a lot of things through yet. I think they made the end as WTF-esque as they did because they were hoping a cliffhanger would keep people interested enough to greenlight a sequel.

ze_topazio
05-24-2014, 03:25 AM
On to AC2 :rolleyes:

On to this series best game you mean.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1zo9tsi.jpg

Jexx21
05-24-2014, 03:28 AM
Brotherhood was better than AC2

like.. srs..

ze_topazio
05-24-2014, 03:32 AM
Brotherhood was better than AC2

like.. srs..

Oh God forgive him for he doesn't know what he's saying.

Jexx21
05-24-2014, 03:35 AM
No, I know exactly what I'm saying and I've been arguing that since the days of ACR's hype and news release.

So, yea. Brotherhood was better than AC2. Hell, back when Brotherhood was released, that was even the common consensus among most I was pretty sure, but apparently that changed with nostalgia.

JustPlainQuirky
05-24-2014, 03:37 AM
I think the list of best game to worst is ranked like this by the majority.

AC2
AC Brotherhood
AC Black Flag
AC1
AC Revalations
AC 3

Though I don't really agree to the list.

ACHILLES4713
05-24-2014, 03:40 AM
Even with its repetitiveness, I still like the first AC the best. I think part of what made it stand out from all the others is that is was the one most closely tied to the history of the Hashashin, which just gave the whole story a greater sense of reality and weight to it (not to mention the unique setting). Since the following games are having to rely on the fictional idea that the Hashashin group (as assassins) continued on and expanded worldwide through the centuries; the games lose some of that "grounded in history" feeling regardless of the historical accuracy of whatever time period Ubisoft is portraying.

ze_topazio
05-24-2014, 03:41 AM
No, I know exactly what I'm saying and I've been arguing that since the days of ACR's hype and news release.

So, yea. Brotherhood was better than AC2. Hell, back when Brotherhood was released, that was even the common consensus among most I was pretty sure, but apparently that changed with nostalgia.

Gameplay wise yes, but overall I still consider AC2 a better experience, I felt that back in the days and felt that when I replayed AC2 last year sometime before AC4 release and a few weeks ago when I replayed Brotherhood.

JustPlainQuirky
05-24-2014, 04:26 AM
aaaaaaaaaand AC2 finished installing. time to start things up :rolleyes:

edit:

"unable to find Ubisoft Game Launcher, please re-install Assassin's Creed II.

Ubisoft Game Launcher:
Error code 1. "

:(

nevermind can't play AC2. I got that error. Tried to fix it using this thread http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/741365-Halp-please-Launcher-not-found-Error-Code-1-Forums but I have windows 8 and it got confusing. i tried searching for the launcher but it wouldn't show up in search. :(

Hassassiyin
05-24-2014, 09:24 AM
I wish I could play AC1 for the first time and have 5 sequels lying here,
waiting to be played after being done with it.

Locopells
05-24-2014, 09:28 AM
That's me and Batman this autumn, if I'm lucky...

The Uplay Launcher should be in C:\Program Files (x86)|Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher, or something like that, unless you changed the installation location.

JustPlainQuirky
05-24-2014, 06:06 PM
I can't even find the program files when searching ;-;

I suck at using PCs T-T

HDinHB
05-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Here's an old post that might help. Are you using DVD or Steam?

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/414732-Ubisoft-Game-Launcher-Issues?p=1316399&viewfull=1#post1316399

Good luck!

zkorejo
05-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Im so jealous right now. Read the entire thread and I just wish I could play the entire series for the first time.... Or even just AC II for the first time. It was one of the best games of last gen. Will always be one of my most favourite games of all time.

JustPlainQuirky
05-24-2014, 07:20 PM
@HDinHB

steam Q-Q

edit:

i think i got it but i need the password to the computer to install the launcher. i'll do it later

JustPlainQuirky
05-24-2014, 09:31 PM
i got it to work but the ubisoft servers are down and i can't enter my access key for the exclusive content/dlc i got...:(

edit:

Ezio: "I have plenty of outlets"

Mom: "I meant besides ******s."

This game is gold!

edit 2: don't know why words like those are censored on the forums when the games are rated M anyway.

ze_topazio
05-24-2014, 11:26 PM
And all those problems is why:

Console gaming >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PC gaming

I-Like-Pie45
05-24-2014, 11:35 PM
shots have been fired

SixKeys
05-24-2014, 11:36 PM
And all those problems is why:

Console gaming >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PC gaming

Because consoles never have technical issues. :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
05-24-2014, 11:37 PM
lololol.

Tbh I prefer these problems over having to pay a subscription for online and having no backwards compatability.

That being said, I own a PC, PS4, 3DS and Wii U. I just don't use playstation+. I know it gives free games monthly but i prefer physical copies so it's no use to me.

Steam doesn't have physical copies, but their games are cheap. I just bought witcher for 2 dollars and witcher 2 for 4.

edit:

oh and the graphics are a nice benefit too, but not a big deal to me.

ze_topazio
05-24-2014, 11:43 PM
Because consoles never have technical issues. :rolleyes:

Other than the very rare error they don't have random incompatibility problems.

Never paid a cent to play online.

JustPlainQuirky
05-24-2014, 11:45 PM
@ze-topazio

You never had to buy playstation+ or xbox live to play online?

Unless you're talking about nintendo consoles??

ze_topazio
05-24-2014, 11:51 PM
Online on PS consoles is free, PS+ is just for special offers on games, never paid anything to play online on Nintendo console too.

JustPlainQuirky
05-24-2014, 11:52 PM
@ze_topazio

not for PS4. Sony changed their policy.

ze_topazio
05-24-2014, 11:55 PM
Well I still don't have a PS4, online has never been a priority for me anyway so meh whatever.

JustPlainQuirky
05-24-2014, 11:57 PM
It's not a priority to me either. I just like the conveninece of free online.

That being said, i still enjoy my PS4.

Though I only own Infamous Second Son and Tomb Raider definitive edition which I both thought were meh.

But they're nice exclusives and i'm glad i bought them.

LoyalACFan
05-24-2014, 11:59 PM
uncharted, infamous, red dead redemption, the last of us, and gta5 is why:

Console gaming >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> pc gaming

ftfy

I-Like-Pie45
05-25-2014, 12:00 AM
8888 GTA V :mad:

JustPlainQuirky
05-25-2014, 12:02 AM
I actually heard something about GTA V and RDR coming to PC, but it's not confirmed. :3

I plan on getting the last of us remake on ps4. And same with Uncharted 4. I already own infamous tho.

ze_topazio
05-25-2014, 12:06 AM
ftfy

Well that too.

Locopells
05-25-2014, 01:28 AM
Ezio: "I have plenty of outlets"

Mom: "I meant besides ******s."

This game is gold!

edit 2: don't know why words like those are censored on the forums when the games are rated M anyway.

"Mother...."

I miss doing AC for the first time...

The games are rated M, but the forums aren't, hence the censor.

I actually heard something about GTA V and RDR coming to PC, but it's not confirmed. :3.

Oh GTA V's coming - once, as with IV, they get over themselves, and stop thinking anyone's fooled by them pretending it isn't.

Shahkulu101
05-25-2014, 01:32 AM
Yeah R* are kind of arrogant *******s when it comes to PC gamers - don't know where Devs get that hostile attitude towards PC from.

Locopells
05-25-2014, 01:37 AM
Tell me about it. Just pure luck that I only really went after GTA IV/LA Noire, after they came on PC and that I've enough other games to pursue (once I get a new rig) in the meantime, otherwise I'd be more pissed

ze_topazio
05-25-2014, 03:12 AM
But ****** is the technical term, why is it censored?

BoBwUzHeRe1138
05-25-2014, 03:59 AM
AC1 is probably tied for least favorite with AC3 (perhaps a bit higher than 3 though).

Glad you like it despite having gone back to it. I think it feels the most PURE because it's the most realistic in terms of history: the Templars were very much alive and well during this time whereas each game after has had to PRETEND they existed during the Renaissance or American Revolution. AC2 is my favorite though.

Kirokill
05-25-2014, 07:19 AM
I'll have to leave this thread, never played AC2...

husnain
05-25-2014, 08:39 AM
I'll have to leave this thread, never played AC2...

Wow shame on you bro...
I think its the best AC in the whole franchise

Kirokill
05-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Wow shame on you bro...
I think its the best AC in the whole franchise

I bought it and going to download it when I get my PS3 back, which is after 26 days from now.

SixKeys
05-25-2014, 10:41 AM
But ****** is the technical term, why is it censored?

Because it's okay for children to play games where the main character violently slaughters people, but heaven forbid they find out about sex.

HercRembrandt
05-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Would be cool to have a new thread for a running commentary on a first-time playthrough of AC2.

JustPlainQuirky
05-25-2014, 03:59 PM
@Herc

I'd do it. I don't know if i can tho. cuz it would be mostly just me posting and i don't know if that's considered spam.:eek:

HercRembrandt
05-25-2014, 04:45 PM
@Herc

I'd do it. I don't know if i can tho. cuz it would be mostly just me posting and i don't know if that's considered spam.:eek:

Well, hopefully there would be others responding to your commentary. But hey, it's just a suggestion.

JustPlainQuirky
05-25-2014, 04:47 PM
I'll do it in a bit then. I need to finish some college work first :o

lothario-da-be
05-25-2014, 04:51 PM
It makes me happy to see that someone who comes from ac3/ac4 can still enjoy ac1. This thread makes me so nastalgic, wanna replay ac1, without HUD. Never did that before.

frodrigues55
05-25-2014, 04:53 PM
AC2 is really something special, isn't it? :o I get mesmorized by it each new playthrough. I started the series by playing them all in a row up until AC3, which was just released by then. Kinda like what you are doing now. And AC2 was my fave from the start!

Just be careful though, some people here are sure you just think AC2 is good, but in reality, it is only the "nostalgia" that makes you feel that way. Even if it is your first time playing. :rolleyes:

lothario-da-be
05-25-2014, 04:55 PM
AC2 is really something special, isn't it? :o I get mesmorized by it each new playthrough. I started the series by playing them all in a row up until AC3, which was just released by then. Kinda like what you are doing now. And AC2 was my fave from the start!

Just be careful though, some people here are sure you just think AC2 is good, but in reality, it is only the "nostalgia" that makes you feel that way. Even if it is your first time playing. :rolleyes:
This lol, hating ac2 has become too popular here. And hating ac1 is seen as blasphemy.

Kirokill
05-25-2014, 04:58 PM
This lol, hating ac2 has become too popular here. And hating ac1 is seen as blasphemy.

The branches got taken off, but the roots are still there.

lothario-da-be
05-25-2014, 04:59 PM
The branches got taken off, but the roots are still there.
And what exactly do you mean with that? I would rather say it got new branches.

JustPlainQuirky
05-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Well if it means anything, i'm currently 10 hours in. I like the way the story transverses so far but I'm not really invested in any characters aside from Ezio ATM. Maybe that will change. :p

Kirokill
05-25-2014, 05:01 PM
And what exactly do you mean with that? I would rather say it got new branches.

Some AC2 fans got less into it. While some are still stuck into loving it.
You know em.

lothario-da-be
05-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Well if it means anything, i'm currently 10 hours in. I like the way the story transverses so far but I'm not really invested in any characters aside from Ezio ATM. Maybe that will change. :p
You don't like Mario?
btw what did you thought of the intro? ( fight, roof race, Christina)

I-Like-Pie45
05-25-2014, 05:06 PM

don't worry

it wont

JustPlainQuirky
05-25-2014, 05:07 PM
@lothario

The intro was pretty ingenious. Mixing story with tutorial gameplay very smoothly. I enoyed it alot. and a nice transition to the title of the game.

Mario was just meh to me. All I know is he's my uncle in the game. I dont know enough about him or his past to invest myself in him.

lothario-da-be
05-25-2014, 05:12 PM
@lothario

The intro was pretty ingenious. Mixing story with tutorial gameplay very smoothly. I enoyed it alot. and a nice transition to the title of the game.

Mario was just meh to me. All I know is he's my uncle in the game. I dont know enough about him or his past to invest myself in him.
Mario was the only person I REALY cared about in ac2-acb. Maybe you will like him more later into the game.
Do you plan on playing acb and acr soon too?

JustPlainQuirky
05-25-2014, 05:15 PM
@lothario
Possibly. I never cared for Achillese though and he seems like he's similar to him when it comes to roles in story.

oh yes. Immediatley after. I haven't played those games either but I got them on steam. Then I shall wait for AC: Liberation HD to be on sale for 50-57% off and play that too :)

lothario-da-be
05-25-2014, 05:21 PM
@lothario
Possibly. I never cared for Achillese though and he seems like he's similar to him when it comes to roles in story.

oh yes. Immediatley after. I haven't played those games either but I got them on steam. Then I shall wait for AC: Liberation HD to be on sale for 50-57% off and play that too :)
Lucky guy, or girl. Payed 60 bucks for ac2 and bought every CE since acb. You got them all for a fraction of the original price. :p

Aphex_Tim
05-25-2014, 05:23 PM
@lothario
Then I shall wait for AC: Liberation HD to be on sale for 50-57% off and play that too :)

Isnt that already just 20 bucks?

JustPlainQuirky
05-25-2014, 05:24 PM
@aphex

I usually never pay more than 4-7 bucks for an indie game or 7-13 for an AAA game.

Unless I'm getting a special edition of a game or something. I like things cheap. :o

I also need to repurchase AC:3. For steam. I originally got it on sale on Wii U but I like my stuff in an organized platform thingy and that platform is steam :3

Continuing to play now. on sequence 8 I think but not sure

edit: in the 5th altair tomb i think. I really want altair's armor :rolleyes:

HercRembrandt
05-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Don't forget to check out the aquatic surprise in the Visitazione when doing the tombs.

JustPlainQuirky
05-25-2014, 06:14 PM
The Giant Squid? :rolleyes:

HercRembrandt
05-25-2014, 06:17 PM
The Giant Squid? :rolleyes:

Doh! Damn interweb spoilers...

JustPlainQuirky
05-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Antonio is such an idiot.

*climbs onto building we need to climb onto*

Antonio: Get down from there! We need a way to climb the building!

*facepalm*

Just got Altair's Armor. AAAWWWW YEAAAAAH

ze_topazio
05-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Have you been doing the glyphs?

JustPlainQuirky
05-25-2014, 11:42 PM
@ze-topazio

glyphs? i dont know what those are so no. are those the things on the walls?

ze_topazio
05-25-2014, 11:52 PM
Yes, the messages left behind by subject 16.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 12:03 AM
omigosh a 9 fingered guy with a hood? ALTAIR?!?! 0u0 We'll see! no spoilers tho pls.

Taking a break to finish homework. will continue playing probably around 11 EST but maybe earlier but at latest 12 EST. I have homework to do.

At the part where i have to kill a bunch of lieutenants.

@ze-topazio

no i haven't :v

ze_topazio
05-26-2014, 12:06 AM
You should.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 12:08 AM
I'm trying to mainly beat the storymode ATM. And go back and replay it later perhaps. Becuase I only have a bit of spare time and I still have AC:B and AC:R to play. Though I'm not rushing too much. I did take the time to get Altair's Armor. But thats cuz i like alternate costumes :3

Locopells
05-26-2014, 12:31 AM
Plus you never have to repair it...

Well, hopefully there would be others responding to your commentary. But hey, it's just a suggestion.

Yeah I don't see a problem - just remember to edit, rather then double post!

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-26-2014, 05:03 AM
Just finished replaying AC1 and... Goooooooood memories. I forgot how badass Altair/Al Mualim was lol

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 05:36 AM
why!?!? Why!?!?

Why after exhaustingly beating 9 lieutenants i have to go on a collect-a-thon to get SIXTEEN codex pages?! Didn't they learn from Wind Waker's triforce charts?!?

Now i have to go on every leap of faith post i can find in all the cities. *groan* it feels like a chore but im so close to the end.

Just beat the game. I'll post my thoughts on it later.

On to AC: Brotherhood tomorrow

Shahkulu101
05-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Brotherhood is the second best in the series - fantastic side missions.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 07:26 AM
I'll post my thoughts now actually while the credits roll.

I had high standards since it was a fan favorite.

The gameplay transitioned well with the plot. However, there were some sequences that were just tedious or frustrating. And the way i beat them felt like i did an exploit. The combat is much more fluid than AC 1, but I assassinated so many people i started to forget why i was even assassinating these people. Ezio is a much more merciful assassin than Altair which I liked. Though he was the only character I really invested in. The other generic sidekicks, mentor, and villain were there but to be fair this was before that formula became a thing. I was motivated to go out of my way to get the Altair armor which is a plus. The free-running was really smooth and the game did it's job of teaching me the mechanics well. (aside from wall jumping but that was for the optional armor. it was still frustrating to get though) Overall I wasn't invested in the story until about the last hour or two. And of course they have the abrupt cliff hanger again. Not my favorite so far, but it is the first to establish the modern AC formula. So I'll give credit where credit is due. Not a painful experience, but I will admit I was bored a lot. I loved Leonardo though. and the carriage riding.

What confuses me is I played AC3 and this looks like it leads directly into it. So Brotherhood and Revelations don't have any modern day sequences I assume?

Fatal-Feit
05-26-2014, 07:33 AM
I'll post my thoughts now actually while the credits roll.

I had high standards since it was a fan favorite.

The gameplay transitioned well with the plot. However, there were some sequences that were just tedious or frustrating. And the way i beat them felt like i did an exploit. The combat is much more fluid than AC 1, but I assassinated so many people i started to forget why i was even assassinating these people. Ezio is a much more merciful assassin than Altair which I liked. Though he was the only character I really invested in. The other generic sidekicks, mentor, and villain were there but to be fair this was before that formula became a thing. I was motivated to go out of my way to get the Altair armor which is a plus. The free-running was really smooth and the game did it's job of teaching me the mechanics well. (aside from wall jumping but that was for the optional armor. it was still frustrating to get though) Overall I wasn't invested in the story until about the last hour or two. And of course they have the abrupt cliff hanger again. Not my favorite so far, but it is the first to establish the modern AC formula. So I'll give credit where credit is due. Not a painful experience, but I will admit I was bored a lot. I loved Leonardo though. and the carriage riding.

What confuses me is I played AC3 and this looks like it leads directly into it. So Brotherhood and Revelations don't have any modern day sequences I assume?

Brotherhood and Revelations are a continuation in modern day. Brotherhood has the best modern day next to AC:3. AC:R's modern day is like the alpha/beta to AC:IV's.

Also, if you've grown bored of AC:2 at certains points and wasn't invested in the story as much, I recommend you take a break for at least a few days before jumping onto AC:B. The Ezio Trilogy mostly consist of shallow plotlines/characters and reiterates a lot of collectibles and side-missions. You're basically jumping into the same game with a different coat of paint and slightly altered/improved gameplay mechanics. Unless you're on a speedrun, trying to 100% the trilogy without putting a barrier inbetween might make it a gruesome chore for you and would diminish the experience.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 07:39 AM
@fatal-feight

I expected as much. But I only have a little bit of spare time and am using it to catch up on the franchise. TBH I was also a bit swamped with work today and exhausted so that may be a contibuting factor to my disintrest.

Plus the same thing kind of happened when i first played AC:3. I was disinterested and rushed it. But when I played a second time I was invested. I wonder why that is.

Fatal-Feit
05-26-2014, 07:51 AM
@fatal-feight

I expected as much. But I only have a little bit of spare time and am using it to catch up on the franchise. TBH I was also a bit swamped with work today and exhausted so that may be a contibuting factor to my disintrest.

Plus the same thing kind of happened when i first played AC:3. I was disinterested and rushed it. But when I played a second time I was invested. I wonder why that is.

2nd playthroughs are always the best. I had a similar experience with AC:3, myself.

Anyway, for me, Brotherhood had fantastic side contents(on par with AC:IV) but the main story, aside from modern day, fell far shorter than AC:2. I recommend you enjoy it for the share fun and craziness of it or you might roll your eyes if you expect too much. AC:R has the best story/characters of the trilogy, IMO, including the gameplay itself. The side contents for it, however, are debatable. That includes modern day.

Just my opinion for someone who haven't experienced them yet.

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 07:56 AM
@fatal

I'm looking forward to Revelations. I dig the black cloak and I also hear Altair is in it. Tho I can be wrong. I've been trying to avoid spoilers.

I also dig Ceasar even though everyone hates him. XD

Characters like Haytham are the ones I tend to get attached to. I didn't really care for Mary Read or Blackbeard for some reason.

but to be fair i havent done a second playthrough of that game yet.

Fatal-Feit
05-26-2014, 08:17 AM
@fatal

I'm looking forward to Revelations. I dig the black cloak and I also hear Altair is in it. Tho I can be wrong. I've been trying to avoid spoilers.

I also dig Ceasar even though everyone hates him. XD

Characters like Haytham are the ones I tend to get attached to. I didn't really care for Mary Read or Blackbeard for some reason.

but to be fair i havent done a second playthrough of that game yet.

Revelations is awesome. Darby McDevitt was at his best with that one, IMO. Without spoiling too much, think of it as an improved AC:1. Or AC:1 and AC:B combined.

As for Cesare, I for one don't hate him, but I don't care for him either. When he's on screen, he puts on quite the show, but he lacks too much depth. Or maybe he was just too generic for me. Whichever it is, he was a perfect antagonist for a game that didn't take itself too far as an entry. Now for Mary Read and Blackbeard, I had to replay AC:IV a couple times to grow an attachment to them. I don't know if it's because I felt they didn't have enough screentime or if it's because I was too occupied with enjoying other stuff in the game. Maybe a 2nd playthrough is all you'll need.

Locopells
05-26-2014, 10:43 AM
why!?!? Why!?!?

Why after exhaustingly beating 9 lieutenants I have to go on a collect-a-thon to get SIXTEEN codex pages?! Didn't they learn from Wind Waker's triforce charts?!?

Now I have to go on every leap of faith post I can find in all the cities. *groan* it feels like a chore but I'm so close to the end.

Just beat the game. I'll post my thoughts on it later.

On to AC: Brotherhood tomorrow

Don't you get a map at that point?

SixKeys
05-26-2014, 01:53 PM
I don't understand why anyone would simply rush through the main storyline in any game and leave side missions/collectables for last. The Codex pages aren't annoying at all if you collect them here and there while on your way somewhere. Plus they were actually interesting to read, similar to the bottled messages in AC4.

AC2 had the worst combat IMO. AC1's was a little bit challenging at least, ACB introduced chain kills and AC3 had different approaches to tougher archetypes. AC2's combat is most similar to AC4's, no challenge at all.

You're surprised that AC2 didn't lead directly into AC3? You never wondered what happened to Lucy between those games?

JustPlainQuirky
05-26-2014, 05:19 PM
@locopels

I realized that after i posted

@sixkeys

I like to focus on main story first. Not one for sidequests unless it's a zelda game or something. Because I like to be at my most equipped when handling sidequests.

Did something happen to her? I thought she aided desmond and then he killed her in AC3. I guess I missed something? I mean i know she's a templar cuz the game told me but...

The combat was just a breath of fresh air after AC1's frustrating combat IMO.

The problem with the codex pages is it wasnt made clear I needed them to complete the game. I thought it was a side mission so i had little incentive to collect them. If it was made clearer I would have gotten it done earlier.

Fatal-Feit
05-27-2014, 01:36 AM
I don't understand why anyone would simply rush through the main storyline in any game and leave side missions/collectables for last. The Codex pages aren't annoying at all if you collect them here and there while on your way somewhere. Plus they were actually interesting to read, similar to the bottled messages in AC4.

People tend to rush through the story the first time so that they can unlock everything and get a better sense of the game's direction.

AC2 had the worst combat IMO. AC1's was a little bit challenging at least, ACB introduced chain kills and AC3 had different approaches to tougher archetypes. AC2's combat is most similar to AC4's, no challenge at all.

AC:B's combat is more comparable to AC:IV's. Both are extraordinary easy with it's emphasis on lesser archetypes, chain kills, and spammable double kills. AC:2 is on a different field of its own.

BlakJakXXI
05-28-2014, 01:28 AM
I played AC1 after finishing AC2 (which was also my first Assassin's Creed game), and while the former may be considered inferior in terms of content and story, I still enjoyed it. Some of the things I liked about AC1 more than AC2 was the combat, where it felt challenging to me without being irritating, which I felt with AC2 at times. I also kind of liked how guards were easier to alert, which provided a greater sense of risk.

I didn't even think that you could play AC1 without the HUD until people here pointed it out, and someone saying that you navigate by sound. Perhaps I ought to give that a shot myself just to see what it's like.

Anyway, to answer the question if I prefer the older style or newer one of Assassin's Creed, I guess both old (AC1, at least) and new.

@locopels

I realized that after i posted

@sixkeys

I like to focus on main story first. Not one for sidequests unless it's a zelda game or something. Because I like to be at my most equipped when handling sidequests.

Did something happen to her? I thought she aided desmond and then he killed her in AC3. I guess I missed something? I mean i know she's a templar cuz the game told me but...

The combat was just a breath of fresh air after AC1's frustrating combat IMO.

The problem with the codex pages is it wasnt made clear I needed them to complete the game. I thought it was a side mission so i had little incentive to collect them. If it was made clearer I would have gotten it done earlier.
I only saw it from playing Revelations, and I haven't played Brotherhood myself yet, but at the end of the latter,...
while Desmond was holding the Apple of Eden, Juno took control of Desmond, and had him stab her in the stomach with his hidden blade.