PDA

View Full Version : Coop starting point

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 12:40 AM
Do you think a starting option can be added for the first patch? It would seem to be a very easy thing to insert. Dogfight games start you off to the side on a tarmac and coops plop you right on the runway. Why not just give us the option for both? I really enjoy having to start up and taxi out onto the runway, and with coops that is missing. Other people probably hate the time it takes to get out to the runway in a dogfight. Can there please be a simple option to select either a runway or tarmac starting point for both ccop and dogfight games?

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 12:40 AM
Do you think a starting option can be added for the first patch? It would seem to be a very easy thing to insert. Dogfight games start you off to the side on a tarmac and coops plop you right on the runway. Why not just give us the option for both? I really enjoy having to start up and taxi out onto the runway, and with coops that is missing. Other people probably hate the time it takes to get out to the runway in a dogfight. Can there please be a simple option to select either a runway or tarmac starting point for both ccop and dogfight games?

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 04:53 PM
The mission designer DICTATES how things are to go in a coop for timing purposes, mainly.

If you want to make missions that start off players in the air, go for it! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

You can also edit the *.mis file. It's easy enough.

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Also, can you place a waypoint in the FMB designated as "takeoff", yet move the aircraft off to the parking ramp? Will they start there, or will the program not know how to deal with this?

Tim Schuster
8MXS Inspection Section
Kunsan AB, Korea

-Defend the Dock!
-Accept Follow-on Shifts!
-Take the Fight Upstairs!

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 07:57 PM
You can only dictate things to an extent. I believe that when you place an aircraft icon in the FMB and then select the first waypoint as takeoff, it will replace the icon at the end of the runway which you will takeoff towards. It will do this as long as you originally place the icon near a base. If you move it after this, it will still set the aircraft on the nearest runway all nicely lined up. The only time you can get around this is by moving the icon way far away from any base, in which case it will just start you in a field or wherever you put it. But moving it from the runway to the tarmac does nothing. The planes still start in a line on the runway. We need the option to choose. Both are already in the game, so it isn't as though they'd have to work on something completely new. They should just make both available for both types of missions.

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Tim, the only way in Il2 was to edit the mission in notepad, and make sure the fuel was set to zero, altitude zero.

AI planes would sit there. In FB, they bail.

Human planes can never start with no fuel, but you have to kill the engine quickly.

Otherwise, it works flawlessly.

You can take off from anywhere.

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 09:27 PM
It has to do with what would be required of the program for the AI to figure out how to get from the ramp out to the runway. Oleg has already addressed this issue in a post quite some time ago - before FB. It would require just too much of your CPU, I think that is what he said, for this to happen.

"Those people in aviation, who think they know it all, are particularly annoying to those of us who really do" /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 11:52 PM
Uh, if it takes too much of the CPU for the AI to figure out how to taxi from the ramp to the runway, then how can they already make their way from the runway to the ramp just fine after landing? Doesn't make any sense to me.

XyZspineZyX
07-18-2003, 04:44 AM
nice idea and good point stecher

about the ai sitting on the runway (waiting for strafing ownage http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif : how do i get them to sit there without bailing out or start?

----------------------------------------
(P)impo
überzeugte Luftwaffel http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 12:41 AM
Search me Stecher, however, I have seen them run into each other on the taxiway or ramp on several occasions after a mission. All I can tell you is, Oleg has addressed this issue before, and said it couldn't/wouldn't be done. Maybe if I were a game designer, I could be a little more specific.

"Those people in aviation, who think they know it all, are particularly annoying to those of us who really do" /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 02:51 AM
Well, if you look at all the aerobatics they do in the air, and formation flying, I find it hard to believe that they can't taxi down a road, but whatever. If that's the way it is, then that's the way it is. Let me suggest this then, to give coops a more complete mission feeling. Let the AIs start on the runway if they have to. But give me the option of choosing to start MY plane on the tarmac. No extra AI thinking involed. Can't that be done?