PDA

View Full Version : OT-Feuerwehr?

poymando
08-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi all, With all the WWII history buffs here I thought I'd try posting this question here..During the summers of my college years I worked at a place where the "handyman" had been a veteran of the Wehrmacht in WWII. (He ended up in the States as a DP after the war and after time in a Soviet POW camp) He was willing to share some of his stories, many of which were pretty intense. He was drafted into the army in his late teens and served on the East Front during the latter part of the war. He ended the war as I remember in Breslau surrounded by the Red Army. He later spent a number of years in the Russian POW camps.
He said he belonged to a "Feuerwehr" unit and that they put out fires so to speak along the front lines where ther had been breakthroughs etc.
My question finally..Was this "Feuerwehr" a general term, a specific unit, special forces, etc?
(I regret I did'nt ask at the time what it meant. He has since passed away)

poymando
08-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi all, With all the WWII history buffs here I thought I'd try posting this question here..During the summers of my college years I worked at a place where the "handyman" had been a veteran of the Wehrmacht in WWII. (He ended up in the States as a DP after the war and after time in a Soviet POW camp) He was willing to share some of his stories, many of which were pretty intense. He was drafted into the army in his late teens and served on the East Front during the latter part of the war. He ended the war as I remember in Breslau surrounded by the Red Army. He later spent a number of years in the Russian POW camps.
He said he belonged to a "Feuerwehr" unit and that they put out fires so to speak along the front lines where ther had been breakthroughs etc.
My question finally..Was this "Feuerwehr" a general term, a specific unit, special forces, etc?
(I regret I did'nt ask at the time what it meant. He has since passed away)

Hecht234
08-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Feuerwehr ("fire brigade") was a general term. Especially armored forces - panzer and assault gun units - were used as "Feuerwehr" in critical situations. Some of these elite-units spent many time on the way to their next mission that could take place on another european front.

Regards

Hecht234

p1ngu666
08-30-2004, 12:26 PM
ah yeah there was a fair amount of that on eastern front
the danger of a breakthrough was huge, the german rear was like a void, hardly any fighting troops there, so the russians would go deep if not stopped

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/mysig3.jpg
<123_GWood_JG123> NO SPAM!

poymando
08-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the replies.