PDA

View Full Version : Optional objectives take AWAY from the game experience!!

FunniestTooth93
05-13-2014, 05:58 PM
I understand that's something for the completionists but they really take away satisfaction.
Even if there are alternative routes presented in a mission, if an optional objective says "kill 5 guards," completing the mission without killing 5 guards leaves a very unsatisfactory feeling! One of AC's greatest selling points is to be able to do whatever you want- yes, they are indeed OPTIONAL, but doing things another way almost punishes you! It indicates that you have not played the game properly, and hides its fun 100% completion rewards away from you.

Even if you disagree, AC cities are built with such detail and one of the most fun things are screwing around in them. Remember AC1? HOW SATISFYING WAS IT TO COLLECT FLAGS? Every time I see a flag I would run to it, getting more and more health as I got more. As I went from flag to flag there were plenty of screwing around done in between. Trying to get 100% sync then incorporated the game's most fun elements! If you didn't want 100% completion, by the end of the game you would've collected plenty of flags along the way already giving you a huge health pool anyway. Now, if you want to the end game rewards, you gotta replay story missions again and again. The game's most fun elements are taken out and now we are forced to follow these 'optional,' objectives. LETS BE HONEST. Replaying these missions to get 100% sync is actually pretty boring. In my opinion, the only missions I liked to replay was the flying machine mission in AC2. In the end, after fulfilling the optional objectives, was the journey fun? No.

In my opinion, AC1 got the formula right. No fun is held back from you. In AC3 and AC4, it was. It was held back unless you completed boring missions!
I would rather an AC game with no optional objectives, even though they don't restrict what you do, it takes away the fun of doing whatever you want. In the end we play just for fun right? Makes no sense taking away fun.
Please ditch the optional objectives and bring back flags!
What do you guys think?

Kirokill
05-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Isn't two enough?
Here is the latest: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/877821-Should-Optional-Mission-Objective-Return-in-AC-Unity

Zafar1981
05-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Totally agree with you mate. I hate those optional objective specially when the mission is ideal for you to do by your own way.

HercRembrandt
05-14-2014, 12:08 AM
Indeed they do. It's no consolation that they are optional, since these games are practically designed to induce OCD with all the completion % counters. And even if you can ignore completionist impulses, you still have a game nagging at you for failing to jump through silly mood-breaking hoops. Since the missions rarely inspire any desire to replay them, you just grit your teeth and try to do whatever song and dance is required for full synch instead of enjoying the story. That's why my favorite part of AC3, for example, was free roaming.

As for flags, well, AC does have a ton of collectibles in every game, some would say too many. The nadir for me was Liberation HD, with all kinds of useless trinkets. Every time I got a necklace from some random John by coyly flirting with him, I expected that Erudito guy to chime in with "That's not ALL that happened!" Grrl Powah, right? At least it kinda made sense for Altair to dispose of the flags of the conquerors. Although, come to think of it... he also removed the Assassin flags from Masyaf.

RinoTheBouncer
05-14-2014, 09:01 AM
I totally agree. Even though we have another thread but I hope the developers see or know about these and do something. Since AC:B and theyíve been trying to tweak them and theyíre just not working. I finished ACIV 100%, so no, Iím not a newbie who canít finish a mission and is just looking for the easiest way, and while I know that theyíre optional, most of them DO NOT make sense nor do they change anything in the experience. Killing one general or brute isnít really gonna make it easier or harder to reach the target and skinning an alligator during a tailing mission isnít really a priority to Edward, not to mention the time it would take to do so, in reality while the enemyís boat is moving.

Donít get me started about collecting 100 flags or 100 feathers or 200 Animus Data Fragments that give nothing but a trophy unlock. I know those arenít optional objectives within a story-related mission, but theyíre still a cheap and lame way to gain a 1005 completion.

So dear Ubisoft, find something else to give the game more replay value. These are just pointless.

Kirokill
05-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Don’t get me started about collecting 100 flags or 100 feathers or 200 Animus Data Fragments that give nothing but a trophy unlock. I know those aren’t optional objectives within a story-related mission, but they’re still a cheap and lame way to gain a 1005 completion.

Mind sharing opinions and discussing?
I know it might seem pointless as it doesn't reward you with much things. But I find it a nice way to explore spots and teaches new parkour moves.
However I really hated the randomly scattered animus fragments. Those were the most time consuming, useless thing ever put.

RinoTheBouncer
05-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Mind sharing opinions and discussing?
I know it might seem pointless as it doesn't reward you with much things. But I find it a nice way to explore spots and teaches new parkour moves.
However I really hated the randomly scattered animus fragments. Those were the most time consuming, useless thing ever put.

Yeah sure. I’d love to.

I like to have side missions, side missions with a story that links to the general story, something that can make a difference. I think I’ve suggested this in another thread but I wish we can have some sort of system where you can choose to help people, give money to the poor, rescue the abused, or not. If you do these, then the experience will be tailored differently for you. Not much like INFAMOUS and choosing to be the good or the bad guy, it’s just about doing extra things that will significantly affect the missions and the way they flow.

For example, if you help people, they will help you too. Not in a way that is fixed like the dancers or pirates who take your side, but they can take your side in various parts of the game. So for example, if you spend money on the poor, help the abused..etc. those people can rescue you from prison, otherwise, you’ll have to find your way out, yourself or do something else. In that way, the extra objectives will help tailor the experience for you in a different way rather than just pointlessly running around, finding animus fragments or treasure chests or skinning an alligator during a tailing mission or not taking a single scratch of damage.

Kirokill
05-14-2014, 03:53 PM
That seems to be an RPG role.

Ubisoft doesn't work to make extended, different stories. Like all other rich companies. The main objective is money.
Having choosing to help or not would make a different plot in the character and his side in the story. Or otherwise get done away with a lot of story space to not occupy it, even if by little. If that makes any sense.
Ubisoft would not tire their selves for that, sadly. I doubt they would try to make significant different things as it did lead to huge disappointment in AC3.

Sorry for being off topic though ^^

GunnerGalactico
05-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Yeah sure. Iíd love to.

I like to have side missions, side missions with a story that links to the general story, something that can make a difference. I think Iíve suggested this in another thread but I wish we can have some sort of system where you can choose to help people, give money to the poor, rescue the abused, or not. If you do these, then the experience will be tailored differently for you. Not much like INFAMOUS and choosing to be the good or the bad guy, itís just about doing extra things that will significantly affect the missions and the way they flow.

For example, if you help people, they will help you too. Not in a way that is fixed like the dancers or pirates who take your side, but they can take your side in various parts of the game. So for example, if you spend money on the poor, help the abused..etc. those people can rescue you from prison, otherwise, youíll have to find your way out, yourself or do something else. In that way, the extra objectives will help tailor the experience for you in a different way rather than just pointlessly running around, finding animus fragments or treasure chests or skinning an alligator during a tailing mission or not taking a single scratch of damage.

^^ This.

Come to think of it, the closest thing we've had to what you suggested above was in AC1 where you rescue civillians from the guards and the vigilantes return the favour by fending off the guards for you if you're being chased, but with no direct involvement in the story. It would be great if they implemented what you have suggested in future games.

GunnarGunderson
05-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Here's what I suggest, instead of having percentage ranks, we should have letter ranks (D,C,B,A, and S). Your rank depends on how many times you were spotted, mission time, and damage taken. But you only need to max out some of those factors to achieve an S (If you want to go full combat, you better not take damage and do it quickly, and the game won't chastise you for taking your time with stealth)

MnemonicSyntax
05-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Even if you disagree, AC cities are built with such detail and one of the most fun things are screwing around in them. Remember AC1? HOW SATISFYING WAS IT TO COLLECT FLAGS? Every time I see a flag I would run to it, getting more and more health as I got more. As I went from flag to flag there were plenty of screwing around done in between. Trying to get 100% sync then incorporated the game's most fun elements! If you didn't want 100% completion, by the end of the game you would've collected plenty of flags along the way already giving you a huge health pool anyway.

What? Flags in Assassin's Creed didn't give you any health at all. They didn't increase your health limit nor refill your health.

Unless I'm confused here.

Locopells
05-18-2014, 06:56 PM
They did give you save points though - die after collecting a flag, and you get taken back to that spot.

MnemonicSyntax
05-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Yep. And I believe that was sorta their purpose too.Otherwise, you don't get anything for them at all.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-18-2014, 07:11 PM
I understand that's something for the completionists but they really take away satisfaction.
Even if there are alternative routes presented in a mission, if an optional objective says "kill 5 guards," completing the mission without killing 5 guards leaves a very unsatisfactory feeling! One of AC's greatest selling points is to be able to do whatever you want- yes, they are indeed OPTIONAL, but doing things another way almost punishes you! It indicates that you have not played the game properly, and hides its fun 100% completion rewards away from you.

Even if you disagree, AC cities are built with such detail and one of the most fun things are screwing around in them. Remember AC1? HOW SATISFYING WAS IT TO COLLECT FLAGS? Every time I see a flag I would run to it, getting more and more health as I got more. As I went from flag to flag there were plenty of screwing around done in between. Trying to get 100% sync then incorporated the game's most fun elements! If you didn't want 100% completion, by the end of the game you would've collected plenty of flags along the way already giving you a huge health pool anyway. Now, if you want to the end game rewards, you gotta replay story missions again and again. The game's most fun elements are taken out and now we are forced to follow these 'optional,' objectives. LETS BE HONEST. Replaying these missions to get 100% sync is actually pretty boring. In my opinion, the only missions I liked to replay was the flying machine mission in AC2. In the end, after fulfilling the optional objectives, was the journey fun? No.

In my opinion, AC1 got the formula right. No fun is held back from you. In AC3 and AC4, it was. It was held back unless you completed boring missions!
I would rather an AC game with no optional objectives, even though they don't restrict what you do, it takes away the fun of doing whatever you want. In the end we play just for fun right? Makes no sense taking away fun.
Please ditch the optional objectives and bring back flags!
What do you guys think?
*Slow Claps*
Ac 4 is the only game i appreciated them in because missions were so repetitive... I needed something to change my gameplay up a bit haha.... Very much the reason why they were so great in the WWE 13 story mode where you had historical bonuses that unlocked new characters, belts, arenas, and matches if you completed them all in each match.... But they annoyed the crap out of me in ACB ACR and AC3... ACRs was probably the hardest yet lol