PDA

View Full Version : Assassin driver's licence

Sushiglutton
05-13-2014, 11:34 AM
This is not spam for getting fake driver's licences :p.

Was discussing the problems of tutorials a bit with Loyal and I was thinking maybe the problem could be solved with an assassin driver's licence. If you are new to the franchise you go through an animus training program for the basic controls of your assassin. At the end you receive a badge (licence), which is basically a trophy. This means you are capable of "driving" your assassin :).

You will have the licence tied to your UPlay account. Whenever you play (or replay) another AC the system will recognize that you have a licence and the animus will allow you to skip the training program. When a new (big) system, like naval, is introduced there will be a training program and licence for that as well.

The beneftit of this system would be that a lot of the tutorial could be removed from the campaign. This would allowed for a better paced campaign with less contrived missions (why is the first thing Edward does after acquiring the Jackdaw to sail to an island and air assassinate ocelots???).

Markaccus
05-13-2014, 11:42 AM
I think this is a cracking idea. It would be good to have the option to go and do it even if you have played all the console games, and see how good you actually are! :D

Also. Ocelots are evil and must be destroyed, maybe???

Locopells
05-13-2014, 11:56 AM
This is not spam for getting fake driver's licences :p.

Lol. I knew they were evolving, but not that much!

Sure, why not? Keep the tutorial separate from main campaign missions, and that'd work. Obviously you'd have to make an exception for new systems, etc, but yeah.

Markaccus
05-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Lol. I knew they were evolving, but not that much!

Sure, why not? Keep the tutorial separate from main campaign missions, and that'd work. Obviously you'd have to make an exception for new systems, etc, but yeah.

An advisory that pops up at the start of the game that says "new control system/game aspects have been added, tutorial is recommended" or something along those lines, then the player has the option to learn it first before playing instead of being led by the hand for the first 4 sequences. You are both totally correct about the whole "press attack button to attack things" stuff popping up, 6 games into the franchise :D

Kirokill
05-13-2014, 02:02 PM
That's a good idea.
The only problem is on Ubisoft side which sometimes uPlay fails to relize you or something.

And I hope it's possible to play it if we want to.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-13-2014, 02:51 PM
That's not a bad idea, but sometimes people, like me, like to play everything from scratch including the tutorials sometimes, so maybe could have it where it recognized that you did this before and give you the options of skipping them

Hans684
05-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Any offline ideas for skipping the tutorials?

Sushiglutton
05-13-2014, 04:25 PM
That's not a bad idea, but sometimes people, like me, like to play everything from scratch including the tutorials sometimes, so maybe could have it where it recognized that you did this before and give you the options of skipping them

Yeah I was thinking the Animuis voice could say: "Licence detected, would you like to proceed directly to the campaign?" and then it's up to you.

Offline licences will be sold at Gamestop for just $9.99 ;)

Ureh
05-13-2014, 04:25 PM

New offline rule: Unable to start the game until you read the entire e-instructional manual. :P

Dev_Anj
05-13-2014, 04:46 PM
Here's a good offline solution.

Just pop up a question before the tutorials: "Do you want to skip the tutorial?".

GunnerGalactico
05-13-2014, 05:54 PM
That's a great idea, it would definitely benefit people who are new to the franchise.

Just pop up a question before the tutorials: "Do you want to skip the tutorial?".

Agreed. People who have played the game since AC1 should have the option to skip the tutorial.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Yeah I was thinking the Animuis voice could say: "Licence detected, would you like to proceed directly to the campaign?" and then it's up to you.

Yep!

Hans684
05-13-2014, 08:10 PM
New offline rule: Unable to start the game until you read the entire e-instructional manual. :P

Then I'm doomed.

That would give the feeling of using an Animus even better.

Offline licences will be sold at Gamestop for just $9.99 ;)

I could live with that.

Best idea so far.

LoyalACFan
05-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Cool idea, but I think it would work just as well if we were simply given the option to access a training room in the main menu. After all, even veteran players need to brush up sometimes; for instance, if you had played all of the Altair/Ezio games but not AC3, I daresay you'd be a bit lost with the mechanics of AC4. If the Unity HUD is to be believed, parkour has changed again, so maybe they should just ask everyone if they want to play the tutorial if they're starting a new save slot.

RinoTheBouncer
05-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Actually, I LOVE the idea. It would save us a lot of time. ACIV training was boring and so was ACIIIís. When I started the game, I wanted to go forward with the story and not get stuck performing things Iíve done a billion times before.

Sushiglutton
05-14-2014, 01:23 PM
Cool idea, but I think it would work just as well if we were simply given the option to access a training room in the main menu. After all, even veteran players need to brush up sometimes; for instance, if you had played all of the Altair/Ezio games but not AC3, I daresay you'd be a bit lost with the mechanics of AC4. If the Unity HUD is to be believed, parkour has changed again, so maybe they should just ask everyone if they want to play the tutorial if they're starting a new save slot.

Yeah maybe this solution is needlessly complex? I thought it could be a little cool to have trophies that actually meant something. When I was a scout I received various badges for knife skill, tying knots and so on. It's kind of satisfying in a way normal trophies are not especially when they carry over form game to game. Also like someone said it's a way to make the whole animus thing a bit more meaningful.

I do agree with you that it would be hard to handle minor changes like the one you described. Anyhow I think it's a fairly massive problem how the campaigns in both AC3-4 are so tutorial heavy. I feel like something needs to be done about that.