PDA

View Full Version : a/c handling at the stall

daveblah
08-14-2004, 03:54 PM
i'm probably missing something basic here,but i was always taught to "pick up" a stalled wing by using the rudder only, as aileron induced drag could cause a deeper stall on the affected wing.i notice on il2fb(aep)a sudden roll input can recover a stall/spin,is this right?
cheers dave b.

daveblah
08-14-2004, 03:54 PM
i'm probably missing something basic here,but i was always taught to "pick up" a stalled wing by using the rudder only, as aileron induced drag could cause a deeper stall on the affected wing.i notice on il2fb(aep)a sudden roll input can recover a stall/spin,is this right?
cheers dave b.

wickedpenguin
08-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Every aircraft is different, but in both real world and accurate sim flying most of the time you should use the rudder to assist with stall prevention/recovery in a wing low state. This is especially the case in a high AOA power-on stall when you're countering the P-factor (torque) of the engine.

In my IL-2 experience, the rudder has been extremely instrumental in my stall recovery methods. Before I got my rudder pedals, I was completely unable to recover from a spin/stall. Every since I got my pedals, stall recovery is far easier. Whenever I feel a stall coming on and a wing dropping low, I just kick in opposite rudder and it alleviates the situation.

"Fear is the mindkiller"
- Dune
----------------------------------
[b]Wicked Penguin Corporation[/b[
Web - Flash - Multimedia - DVD Authoring

Fliger747
08-15-2004, 01:36 AM
The 870,000 lb. aircraft that I fly, they donn'a let me stall it except in the sim, the 1100 lb aircraft at the other end of my flying scale has a great Clark Y airfoil and excellent low speed charcteristics, but also has done in a lot of guys that thought they were aviators with a nasty flip over the top accelerated stall/spin.

As mentioned all are different. Some have slots, slats, manuver flaps, joggles in the wings and whatnot. One of the best helps in spin recovery in a high performance propeller aircraft is reducing the power! In a flip over the top acelerated stall/spin (in a sharp turn) the standard "roll the wings level/add power/modulate the pitch" is not sufficent. Get rid of the torque effect with the thrust reduction and use agressive opposite rudder to straighten out, and watch the pullout from the dive to avoid a secondary stall. Accelerated (high G induced) stalls are always worse!

Then just start flying again and deal with whatever was causing you to push the envelope in the first place!