PDA

View Full Version : Best AC Combat System

Thayin2012
05-12-2014, 02:48 PM
For me, the best combat in the Assassin's Creed Series so far has been AC:Brotherhood. I found that since the series switched to the parry system (from AC:3 onwards), combat success was so much more of a probability, rather than in AC: Brotherhood, where you knew the likelihood was that you would succeed, but you would sometimes get those touch-and-go situations where you needed to have a bit of skill to succeed. The system implemented in 3 and 4 does have positives for me; I know that I can do my best to be stealthy, but if I'm discovered, I am overpowered enough to throw caution to the wind and charge in guns blazing, which does reduce some of the tension I enjoyed in Brotherhood, but is still fun to do.

The reason In wouldn't choose AC:II is because I felt that it forced you to play it stealthy. I am one of the players who feels disappointed with myself when I fail to do a mission stealthily, but I still felt that AC:II pushed it a bit too much.

The variety of bombs and the hook blade in Revelations was fun, at first, but I eventually found it too overwhelming to use those elements to my advantage. It brought back childhood memories from Singapore, where there was a museum, where you could digitally make your own firework with different casings, explosives etc., and see the result, but I don't think that was the Developer's reason for including it. I don't remember hook-and-running a guard either, as in the spur of the moment, I didn't have time to remember how to do it. They were definitely good ideas, in my opinion, but they overwhelmed me a bit.

Markaccus
05-12-2014, 02:56 PM
As it is, it seems that each different class of "higher" enemy has only one way to kill them. Brutes have to be defence-broken, gaurd captains countered.
Then agiles can be countered of def-broken and finally normal guys can be killed any way you like. This means you can look at a bad guy and know how to win before you get into it. It would be better if you did not know until after yoh attempt the first blow, and also, there doesnt seem to be much in the way of kill streaks. That could be just me though.

I agree acb felt the best so far for combat

SixKeys
05-12-2014, 03:01 PM
ACB's is the most fun. It's also ridiculously easy, but I just love the chain kills. ACR's Janissaries could break the flow of combat, making it more tedious, and AC3 had so many button commands I kept getting them confused. :p Combat is one of the least interesting aspects of AC for me, so I don't mind if it's easy, as long as it's fun.

Markaccus
05-12-2014, 03:10 PM
On ship combat is a pain in the arse in AC4. Your crew hardly do anything except die by throwing themselves in front of canon balls from your swivel, and the enemy largely ignore them whenever you are nearby. Add this to the fact that most of them are agiles it makes it extremely tedious, and frustrating when you blast that level 60 MoW to bits then die because you mis-time ONE counter attack and get stabbed by a million swords.

oliacr
05-12-2014, 03:36 PM
AC3 or AC4

Locopells
05-12-2014, 05:06 PM
ACB was the most fun, since once you got going, you can just pile through them with interruption, but ACIII/IV are the most flashy.

Ureh
05-12-2014, 05:33 PM
ACR or AC3. Although I do kinda like AC4's pistol streak to include the captains in the streak. I'm pretty sure it didn't work against the AC3 jagers right?

ACB's is the most fun. It's also ridiculously easy, but I just love the chain kills. ACR's Janissaries could break the flow of combat, making it more tedious, and AC3 had so many button commands I kept getting them confused. :p Combat is one of the least interesting aspects of AC for me, so I don't mind if it's easy, as long as it's fun.

Are you talking about that moment where you kill streak a Janissary and they temporarily become unselectable?
I think there're only two guaranteed ways to keep your streak when fighting the Janissary. One is to counter them when they try to flank you (countering a Janissary during a streak kills them instantly). The second is to implement ranged weapons in between streaks (similar to AC4 ranged weapon streaks). That way you can interrupt them from striking/shooting you (hidden gun is best since poison is too overpowered and can actually work against you). Also holding the ranged weapon can "delay" the streak so you can give the stunned jannissary just enough time to recover and become selectable again. The dodge thingy just isn't very efficacious huh?

Sushiglutton
05-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Franchises/games with more fun melee combat than AC has ever had:

God Of War
Devil May Cry
Ninja Gaiden
Bayonetta
Alice Madness Returns
Zelda
Sleeping Dogs
Marlow Briggs
Arkham
The Witcher
Demon/Dark Souls
Darksiders
Castlevania

etc etc

Franchises with less fun melee combat than AC:

Uncharted
Half-Life

Megas_Doux
05-12-2014, 06:20 PM
To me, AC III.

IWGCJoeCool
05-13-2014, 01:02 AM

God Of War
Devil May Cry
Ninja Gaiden
Bayonetta
Alice Madness Returns
Zelda
Sleeping Dogs
Marlow Briggs
Arkham
The Witcher
Demon/Dark Souls
Darksiders
Castlevania

etc etc

Franchises with less fun melee combat than AC:

Uncharted
Half-Life

i'll lump Uncharted with Tomb Raider(latest), as needing some good ol' fashioned AC fighting. as much as overall liking both, i wish there was a skill set instead of waiting for the button prompt timing...created no flow.

as for the other list, i have experience with about half the list, but i'll key in a DMC and the Batman franchise...too much gymnastics, avoidance, somersaults, and the like, and again, lacking a fighting skill set that lets you remain engaged in the melee.

LoyalACFan
05-13-2014, 04:46 AM
AC3's was easily the best. Still ridiculously easy to win just like every other AC, but it took some skill to keep your streak going and look like a badass (a bit like Arkham in that respect). The only problem was that the detection AI was so broken that you often wound up in fights for no reason, which got tiresome after a while.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-13-2014, 08:09 AM
AC3 without a doubt had the best combat system! Almost a no brainer when you think about it, and AC4 was just a copycat or Ubisoft just got too lazy to make a whole set just for them lol

And yes, the AI system did act funny at times, but hey, that just means more awesome kill animations to watch :D

GunnerGalactico
05-13-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm gonna have to go with AC3 as well, it has one of the best counter systems and it offers more variety. You can manually counter with the rope dart, pistol and arrows and it has the most awesome counter kill animations ever.

Hassassiyin
05-15-2014, 08:33 AM
AC3 but there was still plenty of room for improvement.
I liked AC3's combat because it felt more fluid and polished than the others.
The dual swords from AC4 felt like I was fighting, countering and stabbing with 2 sticks and the animations didnt look as good.
I think they should look into weapon and tool switching without any menus, no matter how small the menus are, Just like the Arkham and DMC games.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-16-2014, 04:09 AM

Alice Madness Returns
Demon/Dark Souls
Darksiders

lmao.. no -_-

STDlyMcStudpants
05-16-2014, 04:10 AM
AC3s was the best but ACR was my favorite.

Hassassiyin
05-16-2014, 08:14 AM
AC3s was the best but ACR was my favorite.
AC:R combat was awesome, until sequence 5. Jannisaries were everywhere, they ruined the flow of combat.
Combat animations were awesome, old Ezio at his deadliest. He just didnt care anymore hahah.

Ureh
05-16-2014, 03:46 PM
I'll never forget the one where Ezio skewers their skull on the sword, then spins the head 360 degrees. So yucky and cool. Who thought of that one?!

jayjay275
05-16-2014, 04:19 PM
B]Franchises with less fun melee combat than AC:[/B]

Uncharted

Uncharted has my most favourite combat than any over game, especially Uncharted 3. :(

Sushiglutton
05-16-2014, 04:50 PM
Uncharted has my most favourite combat than any over game, especially Uncharted 3. :(

You want a bunch of five lad?!?!?! Dat barfght eeewwwwww....

Hans684
05-16-2014, 05:52 PM
None, they are all counter based. For best looking I'd go with ACR and AC3 and I'm only talking about looks. The "hardest" AC in term of combat is AC1.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-16-2014, 07:50 PM
AC:R combat was awesome, until sequence 5. Jannisaries were everywhere, they ruined the flow of combat.
Combat animations were awesome, old Ezio at his deadliest. He just didnt care anymore hahah.

Jannisaries are actually my favorite to fight in ACR :D If im ever in the mood to just go and a killing spree, ill put in ACR before anygame and just pick a fight with everyone haha..you could also kill beggars and people that bad mouthed you..oh how i miss that lol

GunnerGalactico
05-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Jannisaries are actually my favorite to fight in ACR :D If im ever in the mood to just go and a killing spree, ill put in ACR before anygame and just pick a fight with everyone haha..you could also kill beggars and people that bad mouthed you..oh how i miss that lol

The stalkers are my favourite part about ACR.

Assassin_M
05-17-2014, 01:51 AM
AC I

anyone saying that one combat is harder (without it being AC I's) than the other, then they either need more practice or are just fanboys of that particular game..

roostersrule2
05-17-2014, 03:02 AM
AC3's.

AdamPearce
05-17-2014, 04:20 AM
ACI hands down.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-17-2014, 04:26 AM
AC I

anyone saying that one combat is harder (without it being AC I's) than the other, then they either need more practice or are just fanboys of that particular game..

AC1 is easier than ACB

Assassin_M
05-17-2014, 06:36 AM
AC1 is easier than ACB
No..

jdowny
05-17-2014, 12:38 PM
AC1 by far. I think the main thing for me was the lack of archetypes - you just had regular, strong and elite. AC III onwards it's just been a matter of knowing how to take down each archetype, and in one move they're dead. It allows you to take down dozens of enemies with ease but why should combat be easy?

At least in AC1 there was no mowing through guards. The toughest enemies took one or two successful counters before you could go in for the kill. True, you could just wait and counter each attack, but who wants to wait around in a game? Going on the offensive was a joy to watch in AC1. When you got good at combat it was really good - attack, dodge their counter, grab the guard, throw him to the ground, finish him off with a hidden blade, go to short sword, attack more, dodge, go for the kill, throwing knife, hidden blade. Not just attack, attack, attack. Plus it looked stylish as hell. Not over the top ridiculous like AC R, but professional, efficient, precise. There was a cold brutality to it that I don't think has been matched by any AC game since IMO, from breaking kneecaps to punching a knife through a helmet - for some reason it felt more real than anything since. I think AC Brotherhood onwards, the moves just went too quickly to notice and therefore there's no point watching. You're already onto the next enemy.

IWGCJoeCool
05-19-2014, 02:17 AM

i really like Uncharted 3 alot as well, and now Tomb Raider. at first i didnt care for the action breaking timed counter/counter attack, but if i thought a little, it wasnt that different from Assassins Creed games (yes except for AC1). and, at least it wasnt the constant evading and somersaulting away inbetwixt attacks like Batman and a few others who adopted that mold. talk about tiresome.

IWGCJoeCool
05-19-2014, 02:18 AM
The stalkers are my favourite part about ACR.

yes, we need more of that random element

IWGCJoeCool
05-19-2014, 02:22 AM
AC1 by far. I think the main thing for me was the lack of archetypes - you just had regular, strong and elite. AC III onwards it's just been a matter of knowing how to take down each archetype, and in one move they're dead. It allows you to take down dozens of enemies with ease but why should combat be easy?

At least in AC1 there was no mowing through guards. The toughest enemies took one or two successful counters before you could go in for the kill. True, you could just wait and counter each attack, but who wants to wait around in a game? Going on the offensive was a joy to watch in AC1. When you got good at combat it was really good - attack, dodge their counter, grab the guard, throw him to the ground, finish him off with a hidden blade, go to short sword, attack more, dodge, go for the kill, throwing knife, hidden blade. Not just attack, attack, attack. Plus it looked stylish as hell. Not over the top ridiculous like AC R, but professional, efficient, precise. There was a cold brutality to it that I don't think has been matched by any AC game since IMO, from breaking kneecaps to punching a knife through a helmet - for some reason it felt more real than anything since. I think AC Brotherhood onwards, the moves just went too quickly to notice and therefore there's no point watching. You're already onto the next enemy.

yes, it was quite satisfying to use all the moves in a sequence, and you felt like you had mastered something. anyone ever try running at a wall, jumping, then back on the LS to time a shortblade kill? more satisfying than the run and jump, "mini" arial.

phoenix-force411
05-19-2014, 05:28 AM
Best Combat:
1) Assassin's Creed
2) Assassin's Creed: Revelations
3) Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
4) Assassin's Creed III
5) Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
6) Assassin's Creed II

phoenix-force411
05-19-2014, 05:32 AM
In AC1, there was this one time where I only had 1 segment of health left because I fell from certain heights. I accidentally got into a fight and all I used was my short knife. That fight lasted for 3 minutes which included every archetype of enemies and it was in Damascus. I came out of that fight unscathed. I was so PRO! Therefore, AC1 remains the best one by far! Enemies are very unpredictable and you are always vulnerable to the highest archetype since they grab, guard break, and counter, and their counters deplete you by 2 segments of health.

Ureh
05-19-2014, 06:10 PM
yes, it was quite satisfying to use all the moves in a sequence, and you felt like you had mastered something. anyone ever try running at a wall, jumping, then back on the LS to time a shortblade kill? more satisfying than the run and jump, "mini" arial.

Nope, doesn't sound familiar. I'd like to learn how to do it.

AC1 combat is really good, but I only prefer it on PC. :)