PDA

View Full Version : Would you have... if...

lothario-da-be
05-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Would you have invested so much time and money in AC if you knew how the franchise would be in x amount of years?
I have a love/hate relation with AC, its so awesome, but at the same time its being milked to death, full of plotholes, has tons of wasted potential, we had some dissapointing releases, modern day gets abandonned...
Some of us have invested hundreds of hours into the franchise, others have invested hunderds of euros into it (me).
So, if you had known 6 years ago how much dissapointments ac would give you, would you have invested so much in it?
For myself I realy don't know the answer, It has given me tons of beautiful moments, and even though not everything turned out so well I still love AC to death.
So maybe the answer is actualy yes for me :p
What about you? How much time and money did you invest in ac, and was it worth it?

GunnerGalactico
05-11-2014, 09:28 PM
I've actually invested a lot of time and effort on AC. I was really engrossed in the plot and grew accustomed to the gameplay and mechanics. After AC1, I knew there would definitely be a sequel. The only ones that really got me excited were AC2 and 3. I will admit, some of the games kind of fell short of my expectations, some things were not implemented properly like the MD. The games have given me a lot of good, memorable moments and not so memorable ones and I grew attached to the main protagonists. Part of me wishes that AC was not made into an annual release title, the franchise feels as though it is being exhausted. All in all, I still love AC... so it is a yes for me.

lothario-da-be
05-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Now that I think about it, I am going to add a poll.

BATISTABUS
05-11-2014, 09:58 PM
I'm pretty happy where AC seems to be going now, so....yeah. The strict release cycle has definitely caused some polish issues (particularly with AC3), but AC4 proved that things can still work like this. With next gen on the way, my hopes are high.

oliacr
05-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Invested a lot of time. I love it because it is the best historical, action adventure, open-world game which is not poisoned by myths and magical powers. Yes we have the apple and such things but that is not a big part so I can accept those. I love everything what has been represented in the game so far the cities, lands, buildings, animals. The ship battles from AC3 and AC4 were amazing. Nearly everything in AC is amazing especially the cities. How I like Constantinople, I cannot say....

There were a few mistakes and bugs but that is minimal for me at least.

Everything I have invested was worth investing.

Black_Widow9
05-11-2014, 10:36 PM
I invest a lot of time into things I love so yes. :)

Plus you guys are alright too. :p

I-Like-Pie45
05-11-2014, 10:45 PM
black widow, you are employed by ubisoft

how do we know we can trust you

Black_Widow9
05-11-2014, 10:56 PM
black widow, you are employed by ubisoft

how do we know we can trust you
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2014/05/game-of-thrones-littlefinger.gif

Lol. I'm not a liar but I can't make you trust me. I mean putting you to the question is probably illegal. Muahahahahaha

Ureh
05-12-2014, 12:36 AM
Certainly, yes, I would continue to invest the same amount of time I had into the series. The series hasn't disappointed me as much as I thought it would. I was a nut that assumed everything would go downhill when multiplayer was introduced (I guess lots of people still argue against mp). But not anymore.... it's clear to me that the scope of the series is slowly expanding. It evolves and improves as our machines become faster and as the devs become more ambitious. Yep, it does stumble and stagger every now and then but what doesn't right? I will say the biggest disappointment for me - that truly matters - is not revisiting Connor. And I know the lives of many fans have been changed and inspired because of AC... gaining insight from the history/philosophy, pursuing careers in game development, visiting countries, cosplaying, etc... I haven't experienced anything as life-changing as others have. But it was totally worth being a witness to all this.

IWGCJoeCool
05-12-2014, 02:25 AM
hundreds of dollars
hundreds of hours

i'll get back to you if i'm ever sorry or truly disappointed for a second or two. things i loved, yes, things i thought should be different or better, sure...sorry or disappointed? no way.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-12-2014, 06:07 AM
Many series have their up and downs, and AC has certainly have their share of them...

If I had known they were going to fail, I definitely wouldn't be investing my tie and money to pursue the series; on the other hand, if the series makes it awesome and ongoing, then I would invest and support the series.

LoyalACFan
05-12-2014, 09:07 AM
I honestly don't know. I mean, I still love the games, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but feel cheated after spending a lot of time analyzing clues and theorizing about the modern story, only to have it all go to hell in AC3. If we're talking strictly about the modern stuff that was the topic of most debate, then no, I would never have spent that much time and effort discussing it if I knew it was going to fall utterly flat.

RinoTheBouncer
05-12-2014, 09:15 AM
I don’t know whether I would’ve stopped spending money or not because the first 5 games were definitely worth it, except for the ending of ACIII which felt like it was directed by an 8 year old, not to mention the emotion-less dialogue. But I totally agree with your points. We invested so much time understand a story that they abandoned in the cruelest way you can imagine. I have the same love/hate relationship so I can relate to you, my friend. I feel like I lost my faith in the franchise and I’ve seen this before with Resident Evil and many others that went out of their way becoming something they’re not and failing.

Dead1y-Derri
05-12-2014, 09:19 AM
I honestly don't know. I mean, I still love the games, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but feel cheated after spending a lot of time analyzing clues and theorizing about the modern story, only to have it all go to hell in AC3. If we're talking strictly about the modern stuff that was the topic of most debate, then no, I would never have spent that much time and effort discussing it if I knew it was going to fall utterly flat.

To be honest I think the story so far have all been fairly epic and I can't wait to see much more of the modern day story unfold. Yes we've lost Desmond but I can feel a new modern day stuff starting to occur. I like the way they've handled the series.

Locopells
05-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Oh heck yeah! Sure there's been some issues, but the good times always outweigh that for me, so...

lothario-da-be
05-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Invested a lot of time. I love it because it is the best historical, action adventure, open-world game which is not poisoned by myths and magical powers. Yes we have the apple and such things but that is not a big part so I can accept those. I love everything what has been represented in the game so far the cities, lands, buildings, animals. The ship battles from AC3 and AC4 were amazing. Nearly everything in AC is amazing especially the cities. How I like Constantinople, I cannot say....

There were a few mistakes and bugs but that is minimal for me at least.

Everything I have invested was worth investing.
I agree, but just like you said its the best and almost only historical, adventure,open world game. There just is nothing to compare it to.
So you can't realy say I will buy ... this year like cod and battlefield.

lothario-da-be
05-13-2014, 04:23 PM
I don’t know whether I would’ve stopped spending money or not because the first 5 games were definitely worth it, except for the ending of ACIII which felt like it was directed by an 8 year old, not to mention the emotion-less dialogue. But I totally agree with your points. We invested so much time understand a story that they abandoned in the cruelest way you can imagine. I have the same love/hate relationship so I can relate to you, my friend. I feel like I lost my faith in the franchise and I’ve seen this before with Resident Evil and many others that went out of their way becoming something they’re not and failing.
Please, I pray to God ac doesn't become like resident evil.

HercRembrandt
05-14-2014, 02:10 AM
Honestly, I don't know. I'm certainly pretty disappointed by the cavalier way Ubisoft have treated the main storyline. There's an interview with AC4 Creative Director Jean Guesdon on Edge Online that states that "The decision to [kill] Desmond in ACIII was made a long time ago, and it was driven by the question of how we make the franchise evolve from what was in AC, a well-designed offline solo experience, to a more open franchise. We’re in 2013 and a lot of things have changed with mobile, Facebook, everybody having a smartphone or tablet… We needed to figure out how we’d adapt the franchise to that."

In other words, what matters is not the story itself, but how to incorporate all kinds of social media tie-ins into the post-narrative Megabrand. Feels kinda foolish to ever get invested in the story in the first place. I used to care, and now I don't. It's pointless to discuss things like Lucy's triple cross or whatever. She was discovered to be a traitor because the Veronica Mars chick signed a deal for three games, and that's it. It's just disappointing.

RinoTheBouncer
05-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Please, I pray to God ac doesn't become like resident evil.

So do I, my friend. Resident Evil changed it’s face and soul way too drastically to even feel like it’s the same game. Zombies have turned to business men with masks, wielding rifles and rocket launchers and grow weird appendages when shot, the game became an action game instead of survival horror, the way we play become more of a Call of Duty game with Zombies than a Resident Evil game. I don’t hate the new RE games but they’re more like spin-offs starring the old cast that we came to love than an actual sequel to the classics.

I fear that AC will come to this end, sooner or later. Especially that it hasn’t been ten years and people are already crying for the good old glory days of ACI, ACII and AC:B.