PDA

View Full Version : AC Unity Suggestion: Make Side Missions e.g. Assassination Contracts, More Meaningful

Dead1y-Derri
05-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Hello,

Today I'm wanting to suggest and discuss side missions in the AC series. Up until Assassins Creed 3 side missions such as Assassination Contracts were much more meaningful. Take AC2/Brotherhood both games had cutscenes that either told you about your target and when you killed them it had a cutscene, this made the side missions more meaningful and it seems ever since AC3 they've really just 'thrown' them in there for something 'extra' to do.

Now they have improved slightly in AC4 compared to AC3. In AC3 you basically went to a location magically got your targets and then ran and killed them. Whereas in AC4 you do get to read a back story but in all honesty they are repetitive to hell because there isn't a cutscene or anything to really explain why that person must die.

I was in Kingston I think when I started the game and I must have done 5 out of 6 fairly quickly because I had to do was sneak into a compound and then from a bush, shoot a guy in the head.

I'd honestly rather we only have 10 assassination contracts that are well scripted and really involve you like the AC2/Brotherhood ones than like 30 or 40 that are all, run here, kill this guy.

Same with the naval contracts really, half the time I didn't fully understand why I was doing what I was doing and it got awfully repetitive really quickly.

So what do you guys think on this subject?

EDIT: Just to avoid confusion, I got mixed up, it was the templar agents missions that had custscnes. However my point still stands that side missions need to be made more meaningful.

Assassin_M
05-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Today I'm wanting to suggest and discuss side missions in the AC series. Up until Assassins Creed 3 side missions such as Assassination Contracts were much more meaningful. Take AC2/Brotherhood both games had cutscenes that either told you about your target and when you killed them it had a cutscene, this made the side missions more meaningful and it seems ever since AC3 they've really just 'thrown' them in there for something 'extra' to do.
I'm afraid that's not true. AC II/B contracts never had any cutscenes. That said, the problem about contracts being fodder has already been addressed in AC IV

Now they have improved slightly in AC4 compared to AC3.
Not slightly at all, they went back to how they were in AC II and ACB

In AC3 you basically went to a location magically got your targets and then ran and killed them. Whereas in AC4 you do get to read a back story but in all honesty they are repetitive to hell because there isn't a cutscene or anything to really explain why that person must die.
Contracts never had cutscenes...dunno where you're getting that from

Shahkulu101
05-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Maybe he's thinking of ACB's Templar Agent missions and wrongly remembering them as AC2 and ACB's assassination contracts given that they are basically assassination missions.

But yes, OP, you're mistaken. No Assassination Contracts have cutscenes - in any of the games...

Dead1y-Derri
05-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Ah, Yes

I got the two mixed up, silly me. They were very similar I think.

Edit: My point still stands though, the assassination missions now at least have become repetitive.

IWGCJoeCool
05-12-2014, 02:20 AM
the assassination contracts should be integral (i like that word today) to the main story, moving it along, as part of information and asset collection, leading to the climax. still, you could have a choice whether to take them or not, at first presentation...some could be key, while others just for the money, BUT, in that context, even a simple "beat up the cheating husband" contract COULD actually turn out to be key. looking at it from another way, all assassination contracts could somehow, even in a small way, pave the way for our hero to prevail in the climactic scene/battle. that cheating husband could know of a broken window lock, something like that. everything would fall into one of three categories...an edge in entering an area, escaping an area, or an advantage to the assassination or battle.

shobhit7777777
05-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Dunno about them being tied into the main plot narratively...but I'd definitely like to see some more elaborate target routines. Mobile contracts would be nice. AC4 had some great contracts.

I forget, did ACR have assassination contracts?

Dev_Anj
05-12-2014, 07:17 AM
No, Revelations didn't. Revelations had the weakest side missions besides AC 1.

shobhit7777777
05-12-2014, 08:06 AM
No, Revelations didn't. Revelations had the weakest side missions besides AC 1.

Sigh

If only....

Contracts in that urban setting with ACR toolset would've been awesome.

RinoTheBouncer
05-12-2014, 08:21 AM
I agree with this thread with every fiber of my being. Side missions should either effect main missions or have a meaning on their own that is related to the story and helps contribute more to it with real cutscenes and dialogues. I’d rather have 5-10 quality side missions than 20 pointless ones.

Markaccus
05-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I agree with this thread with every fiber of my being. Side missions should either effect main missions or have a meaning on their own that is related to the story and helps contribute more to it with real cutscenes and dialogues. I’d rather have 5-10 quality side missions than 20 pointless ones.

An example of worthwhile side missions is the naval contracts in AC4. I know people are saying it's a bit repetative, but at least you get a set of decent guns for completing them. Upgrading the character in some way for completing sets of side quests have always been the best way for me. Think tombs in ac2, although i do think rewards for side quests should be available earlier in the story, so that you dont end up having that special armour and excellent sword for just one main story memory sequence.