PDA

View Full Version : Should Ubisoft make a PotC game?

semkovo
05-06-2014, 06:33 PM
I was wondering if you guys want a game in the PotC universe with the naval mechanics of Black Flag. There haven't really been any pirates game made lately before Black Flag and I believe with such a comerical trademartk as PotC both Disney and Ubisoft would make a hit. Imagine playing trough the battle of Calypso's maelstrom, firing upon the Flying Dutchman, boarding it, battling it's crew and then duelling Jones himself! If they don't want to make a game based on the movies, because movie games trend to be bad, they could instead think of an original story based in the universe. I remember in 2009 there was an upcoming RPG game called "Armada of the Damned" set 20 years before the films. In my opinion it looked quite promising. Sadly the game was cancelled and I though I would have to live another decade without seeing a proper pirate game, but Black Flag restored my faith. So do you think Disney should license PoTC to Ubisoft, seeing that they are the only company having made a game with proper naval mechanics?

Locopells
05-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Surprised it hasn't happened already...

Shahkulu101
05-06-2014, 07:00 PM
If Ubisoft can obtain the license, sure why the hell not. There's an opportunity to make a ton of money on both sides and they can expand on the naval mechanics, water effects and ship designs that have already been established. There's a template there for it - imagine the hype if something this big were to be announced.

Locopells
05-07-2014, 12:32 AM
Not to mention they can do all the stereotypical stuff they went to such pains to leave out with ACIV.

Corey would be pleased - Kracken!

DumbGamerTag94
05-07-2014, 01:10 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean? I don't see that happening and that story has kind of tired out with over exposure and the crappy 4th movie they forced out of it.

But they could do a spin off set earlier than AC4(obviously since pirates kind of died out by the end of the game) Set in the 1650s-1680s. In the time of Henry Morgan and others of the older Generation of Pirates like William Kidd. This in all truth was the Height of the Golden Age of Piracy whereas AC4 takes place at the close of the golden age. Pirates raided entire cities at this time, not just random forts. Think Pirates of the Caribbean Curse of the Black Pearl where they raid Port Royal. Morgan himself Burned down Panama City, and raided countless other cities. Pirates also controlled far more territory than just Nassau in those days as well.

I think a game like AC4, but where you can capture/upgrade/personalize your own ship, recruit your own crew(hire quartermasters, Gunnery Officers, etc). Raid Citys, earn favor with different nations like Britain, France, Spain, and gain letters of marque, so that you receive their aid for your endeavors. Occupy Cities should you choose to, fight battles on sea and land. Burn towns to the ground should you wish(with an obvious wait period before it is repaired). I think it could be incredible

Add in a few mythic elements also, cursed treasures like from PotC, Ghost Ships, Davy Jones, Kraken, Moby ****, etc. Hunt for the fountain of youth? Holy Grail? El Dorado? Explore ancient Myan and Aztec cities and ruins for gold. Hoard your treasure in a hideout where the treasure actually accumulates! Hold cities/civilians hostage for ransoms from the crown.

Encounter/work with actual figures like Morgan and Kidd(sort of AC style). Experience hurricanes and when Port Royal was swallowed up by the sea(and had to be rebuilt in Princeton). There's just so much room for a really fun experience.

Basically it would be a Pirate RPG that ties in real history, with pirate myth, and allows for you to basically dominate the Caribbean for yourself and do with it as you please. I think it would be awesome.

Wolfmeister1010
05-07-2014, 02:07 AM
I would rather them make a true pirate game. Pirates of the Caribbean is very disney-esque cheesy.

I-Like-Pie45
05-07-2014, 02:24 AM
I would rather them make a true pirate game. Pirates of the Caribbean is very disney-esque cheesy.

That's all part of POTC's charm

well, for the first two movies and part of the third anyways

now PoTC is just another brick in Disney's money grubbing wall

Locopells
05-07-2014, 02:50 AM
Yeah, that was kinda the point of ACIV (AC stuff excepting, obviously...) - the point here would be to do all the unreal, but fun stuff!

Love how the swear filter had no respect for literature...

MiguelSanch2014
05-07-2014, 03:06 AM
They did... it's called Black Flag :p

I've always wanted something along those lines, but I've gotta say, AC4 filled that void for me.

HDinHB
05-07-2014, 04:36 AM
Love how the swear filter had no respect for literature...

LOL, thar she blows. I'm surprised it let Kraken through. :rolleyes: I saw a post the other day where it filtered ***i Berko, that one took me a minute to figure out.

I voted yes, but I'd rather see Ubi build a franchise based on the Horatio Hornblower (see if that gets filtered) novels or the Master and Commander series. That could even grow out of the post-Revolutionary period of Unity. On the other hand, Ubi and Disney teamed up on making the PoP movie, maybe it would work in reverse. And there is a fifth Jack Sparrow movie in the works...

Dev_Anj
05-07-2014, 04:48 AM
Ubisoft could just make a new franchise altogether.

Who knows, it could be more successful than Assassin's Creed. After all, AC started off as a spin off of Prince of Persia, and look where it is now.

oliacr
05-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Why not? Black Flag was close enough :)

Aphex_Tim
05-07-2014, 09:31 AM
If they do, they'll really have to exaggerate with the cheesy, charming pirate and fantasy stuff. Else it'll just be a Black Flag clone.

Locopells
05-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Well that'd be kinda the point

LOL, thar she blows. I'm surprised it let Kraken through. :rolleyes: I saw a post the other day where it filtered ***i Berko, that one took me a minute to figure out.

I voted yes, but I'd rather see Ubi build a franchise based on the Horatio Hornblower (see if that gets filtered) novels or the Master and Commander series. That could even grow out of the post-Revolutionary period of Unity. On the other hand, Ubi and Disney teamed up on making the PoP movie, maybe it would work in reverse. And there is a fifth Jack Sparrow movie in the works...

Got there with Berko...

Fans of both of thoses, so wouldn't mind - they would be rather more restricted by the rules though... Didn't think about the PoP film. Yeah Depp said he'd play him as long as the majority wanted him to.

LoyalACFan
05-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Hell no, they could make a better pirate game without having to operate within that cheesy, saturated franchise. The first movie was fun, but everything else in the franchise sucked.

Sushiglutton
05-07-2014, 01:06 PM
It's not a bad idea per ser, but personally I don't like PotC (the first film was entertaining, the rest no so much). I rather they made their own pirate IP as a spin-off.

LoyalACFan
05-07-2014, 02:46 PM
I apologize for the bit of vitriol earlier, I was a bit testy from work.

dxsxhxcx
05-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Should they make a PotC game? No!
Should they make another game (not related to the AC franchise) using the pirate theme? Yes!

DumbGamerTag94
05-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Should they make a PotC game? No!
Should they make another game (not related to the AC franchise) using the pirate theme? Yes!

That's essentially what I suggested on page one. Not PotC but a pirate themed game, more mature and a combo of historical aspects and pirate myth.

lothario-da-be
05-07-2014, 06:26 PM
I would prefer it if the made a TRUE ac game first.

Shahkulu101
05-07-2014, 06:32 PM
I would prefer it if the made a TRUE ac game first.

It would obviously be a different team to the one working on an AC game - the AC game(s) would release regardless of another franchise. There are Ubi studios everywhere, although I suppose it would be a good idea to have Ashraf and his Ubi Montreal team to work on it given their pirate experience. Toronto could handle AC as they're doing so now - or if their busy maybe Ubi Massive, Ubi Reflections, Shanghai, Timbuktu, Ubi North Pole, Ubi Drewery Lane, Ubi Narnia, Ubi Springfield, Ubi South Park, Ubi Quahog - you see the point...

lothario-da-be
05-07-2014, 09:00 PM
It would obviously be a different team to the one working on an AC game - the AC game(s) would release regardless of another franchise. There are Ubi studios everywhere, although I suppose it would be a good idea to have Ashraf and his Ubi Montreal team to work on it given their pirate experience. Toronto could handle AC as they're doing so now - or if their busy maybe Ubi Massive, Ubi Reflections, Shanghai, Timbuktu, Ubi North Pole, Ubi Drewery Lane, Ubi Narnia, Ubi Springfield, Ubi South Park, Ubi Quahog - you see the point...
Well, it was partialy a joke. You know the "ac4 is Pirate simulator" complaints and the cry for a "true ac game".

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Well, didn't they send out a survey about if the fans would like a franchise based on this "pirate themed" concept. Don't know what the results were, but the thing is they will think about it IF the feedback is strong

pirate1802
05-09-2014, 03:45 AM
Well, it was partialy a joke. You know the "ac4 is Pirate simulator" complaints and the cry for a "true ac game".

You got me there. I was about to comment :(