PDA

View Full Version : Do you think we will see Hollywood actors in AC this gen?

Sushiglutton
05-05-2014, 06:12 PM
"Democracy?!? Democracy! Democracy is not what these people need, hell it's not even what they want!"

I haven't played COD since COD2 and haven't been remotely interested in coming back to the franchise. But when Kevin Spacey uttered the words above I felt a sudden itch to buy the next one. You can mock Hollywood all you want, but some of the best actors just take the projects they participate in to a new level. Heck if Matthew Mcconaughey would have played ex-bartender Desmond Miles I bet noone would have dreamt of calling the modern day sections boring. His charisma would have carried the whole thing.

AC is one of the big elephants in gaming (others being COD, GTA for example) that could afford to bring in some top talent. So question is do you want them to? Do you think it will happen? Who would you like to see? I mean the downside is obv that they are freaking expensive and that money could be spent on say gameplay (I'm being ridiculously optimistic here). On the plus side they market themselves pretty much and people who are not interested in gaming may be compelled to try thus increasing the revenue.

My prediction is that with improved motion capture technology and better facial animations we will see a lot more famous actors (for better and worse) this gen than the last.

Shahkulu101
05-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Unless they're good game designers, no. They will demand high salaries that would be better spent on the actual game - we don't need big time actors to make great games... I think you have your industries confused.

Sushiglutton
05-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Unless they're good game designers, no. They will demand high salaries that would be better spent on the actual game - we don't need big time actors to make great games... I think you have your industries confused.

So you are saying that Hollywood acting is not what we need, hell it's not even what we want ;)?

Honestly I'm not really sure what I think about this, which is why I wanted to dicuss it. Anyway, like I said I think they would add value, especially to something like modern day were nothing interesting is happening gameplay wise (and most games have sections like this). A more charismatic Desmond would have meant all the difference in the world imo.

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Why is charisma always associated with "better protagonist"?

Sushiglutton
05-05-2014, 06:39 PM

Depends on your definition of "better". If you mean "more realistic", or "more interesting to analyze" than they are unrelated. If you mean "more enjoyable to follow" then I believe most people (including me) enjoy to follow a charismatic character more than an uncharismatic one.

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Depends on your definition of "better". If you mean "more realistic", or "more interesting to analyze" than they are unrelated. If you mean "more enjoyable to follow" then I believe most people (including me) enjoy to follow a charismatic character more than an uncharismatic one.

well, my definition of better depends on what you meant. You defined better as such. Desmond = subpar so a more charismatic character would have been better. what did you mean??

Yeah and I ask WHY?

Shahkulu101
05-05-2014, 06:50 PM
So you are saying that Hollywood acting is not what we need, hell it's not even what we want ;)?

Honestly I'm not really sure what I think about this, which is why I wanted to dicuss it. Anyway, like I said I think they would add value, especially to something like modern day were nothing interesting is happening gameplay wise (and most games have sections like this). A more charismatic Desmond would have meant all the difference in the world imo.

The character wasn't written as such unfortunately - Nolan North is a great actor and if the script were more engaging, the modern day plot more entertaining - I think we would have had better modern day sections. Desmond's poor reception was down to his personality and not the performance, he was supposed to be a regular joe caught in extraordinary events. The problem I believe was a lack of screen time.

Is Roger Craig Smith a Hollywood actor? What about Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson (Joel and Ellie)? No, but their terrific actors who lack the superficial, meaningless 'Hollywood' label.

Sushiglutton
05-05-2014, 07:28 PM
well, my definition of better depends on what you meant. You defined better as such. Desmond = subpar so a more charismatic character would have been better. what did you mean??

Yeah and I ask WHY?

What I meant was that I think a more charismatic performance would have made Desmond a more enjoyable character to follow and that would have lifted the modern day part of the game.

The character wasn't written as such unfortunately - Nolan North is a great actor and if the script were more engaging, the modern day plot more entertaining - I think we would have had better modern day sections. Desmond's poor reception was down to his personality and not the performance, he was supposed to be a regular joe caught in extraordinary events. The problem I believe was a lack of screen time.

Is Roger Craig Smith a Hollywood actor? What about Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson (Joel and Ellie)? No, but their terrific actors who lack the superficial, meaningless 'Hollywood' label.

I have never seen Nolan North be great in anything, but he does a fine Nathan.

I think an actor has a massive influence on the character. Ofc the script matters too, but less than one might think. Clint Eastwood can just stare angrily and mutter a bit and it's a pretty cool scene allready lol. The best actors influence the script through improvisation, timing, range of expressions and just by being who they are. Nolan did nothing interesting with Desomnd at all.

Obviously there are plenty of great actors outside Hollywood (we have a couple in Sweden as well :) ). But the Hollywood stars do bring a special something I have to admit. Not really rational I suppose.

BATISTABUS
05-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Kevin Spacey confirmed Templar.

Shahkulu101
05-05-2014, 07:38 PM
I have never seen Nolan North be great in anything, but he does a fine Nathan.

I think an actor has a massive influence on the character. Ofc the script matters too, but less than one might think. Clint Eastwood can just stare angrily and mutter a bit and it's a pretty cool scene allready lol. The best actors influence the script through improvisation, timing, range of expressions and just by being who they are. Nolan did nothing interesting with Desomnd at all.

Obviously there are plenty of great actors outside Hollywood (we have a couple in Sweden as well :) ). But the Hollywood stars do bring a special something I have to admit. Not really rational I suppose.

Well Nolan North was David from The Last of Us. I thought that was a great performance and of course showed his range as an actor. The thing is though, could Clint Eastwood blow us all away in the dull 5 minute interruptions that was the modern day story? For whatever reason I'm fixated on the modern day - sorry...

Sushiglutton
05-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Kevin Spacey confirmed Templar.

Maybe the new COD is in fact AC:Comet so we allready have a Hollywood actor in AC???

Well Nolan North was David from The Last of Us. I thought that was a great performance and of course showed his range as an actor. The thing is though, could Clint Eastwood blow us all away in the dull 5 minute interruptions that was the modern day story? For whatever reason I'm fixated on the modern day - sorry...

I didn't know that (David = Nolan), I agree that was a great performance.

Matthew McConaughey just needed five minutes to steal the entire Wolf Of Wallstreet ;):

Edit: Removed the vid, may be a bit inappropriate...

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 07:48 PM

He also did someone else in the Last of Us.

What I meant was that I think a more charismatic performance would have made Desmond a more enjoyable character to follow and that would have lifted the modern day part of the game.

Well, then you meant better as in enjoyable to follow by most....I disagree. I don't think a charismatic character would have saved anything. It would just be repetitive since we have a crapton of charismatic lead characters...I just don't see how charisma would have lifted the quality of the modern story..

Shahkulu101
05-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Who else did Nolan North play in The Last of Us?

Sushiglutton
05-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Well, then you meant better as in enjoyable to follow by most....I disagree. I don't think a charismatic character would have saved anything. It would just be repetitive since we have a crapton of charismatic lead characters...I just don't see how charisma would have lifted the quality of the modern story..

I don't mean "charisma" in the sense "womanizer", or "charming" though. Actors like Kevin Spacey and Anthony Hopkins have charisma without being attractive in that sense. It doesn't really limit the type of character.

The list of games Nolan has been in is just insane btw: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0636046/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1#actor

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 07:57 PM
I don't mean "charisma" in the sense "womanizer", or "charming" though. Actors like Kevin Spacey and Anthony Hopkins have charisma without being attractive in that sense. It doesn't really limit the type of character.
unfortunately, those traits are usually coupled with Charismatic...but do you rather mean presence in general?

Who else did Nolan North play in The Last of Us?

I'll let you figure it out >8]

Sushiglutton
05-05-2014, 08:01 PM
unfortunately, those traits are usually coupled with Charismatic...but do you rather mean presence in general?

Yeah maybe I do. I googled-translated the Swedish word and it says: "radiation, charisma, emission, aura". Anyway "presence" is perhaps the proper term.

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Yeah maybe I do. I googled-translated the Swedish word and it says: "radiation, charisma, emission, aura". Anyway "presence" is perhaps the proper term.
Then that I can agree with. I think the problem with Desmond's performance is that they started with a specific direction for him but then wanted to change it in AC II, then go back to the beginning in ACR then change it again in AC III...it felt like a mess and I'm sure that didn't make Nolan's job any easier because like you said, Nolan voices one of the most beloved characters in video gaming...

Shahkulu101
05-05-2014, 08:04 PM
I'll let you figure it out >8]

He's only credited as David on Wikipedia - you're wrong or lying.

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 08:08 PM
He's only credited as David on Wikipedia - you're wrong or lying.
I'm none 8D many roles are not referenced by websites ;)

GunnerGalactico
05-05-2014, 08:11 PM
I only know of a few characters Nolan North voiced. He was Hades in God of War, The Penguin in Batman Arkham City and Arkham Knight and the Prince in POP (2008)

He even voiced Raphael in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.

Sushiglutton
05-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Then that I can agree with. I think the problem with Desmond's performance is that they started with a specific direction for him but then wanted to change it in AC II, then go back to the beginning in ACR then change it again in AC III...it felt like a mess and I'm sure that didn't make Nolan's job any easier because like you said, Nolan voices one of the most beloved characters in video gaming...

Well that clears that up then :).

Hmm maybe I found it ;)!
http://www.giantbomb.com/nolan-north/3040-80008/credits/
The Last of Us (http://www.giantbomb.com/the-last-of-us/3030-36989/)- David, Callus, Ethan, Jimmy Cooper

I only know of a few characters Nolan North voiced. He was Hades in God of War, The Penguin in Batman Arkham City and Arkham Knight and the Prince in POP (2008)

There are a couple more: http://www.giantbomb.com/nolan-north/3040-80008/credits/

GunnerGalactico
05-05-2014, 08:16 PM
There are a couple more: http://www.giantbomb.com/nolan-north/3040-80008/credits/

Thanks for that.

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Hmm maybe I found it ;)!
http://www.giantbomb.com/nolan-north/3040-80008/credits/
The Last of Us (http://www.giantbomb.com/the-last-of-us/3030-36989/)- David, Callus, Ethan, Jimmy Cooper

holy crap, he's the horse :|

Aphex_Tim
05-05-2014, 08:22 PM

And Deadpool! Don't forget Deadpool!
He even voiced himself in that game. There's an easter egg somewhere where you can call Nolan North on the phone.

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 08:25 PM
He even voiced himself in that game. There's an easter egg somewhere where you can call Nolan North on the phone.

and in Saints Row. there's a voice called Nolan North there..

GunnerGalactico
05-05-2014, 08:28 PM

That's awesome :)

Sushiglutton
05-05-2014, 08:29 PM

Ha, you are right! I didn't recognize the name. That is pretty hilarious!

Shahkulu101
05-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Ok so I guess Jimmy Cooper is David's right hand man who's referred to as James. But does anyone remember who Ethan was? M?

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Ok so I guess Jimmy Cooper is David's right hand man who's referred to as James. But does anyone remember who Ethan was? M?

The first guy Joel tortured in the cabin during the winter 8D and no, Jimmy Cooper is the guy Joel shoots at the start of the game xP

Shahkulu101
05-05-2014, 08:38 PM
The first guy Joel tortured in the cabin during the winter 8D

Oh right, do we ever hear his name? And please stop with the abominable emoticons.

Sushiglutton
05-05-2014, 08:38 PM
^^^Remind me to not challenge M in TLOU trivia....

RinoTheBouncer
05-05-2014, 08:57 PM
After playing Beyond: Two Souls and seeing how Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe were re-created in 3D in the best way possible in terms of role, acting, expressions, motion-capture and overall story, I think I totally agree with your idea. And come to think of it. If we get an Assassin played by Liam Neeson, or even a Templar. How awesome can that be? Video Gaming is an art. Itís no longer ďmove that ball from here to there and let it eat the dots on itís way to winĒ nor some guy jumping and collecting mushrooms. Video Games now are a form of art and a power to be reckoned with in the entertainment industry and I donít see why canít there be more interaction between Hollywood and the Video Gaming Industry. If anything, it means more exposure and promotion and more sales.

Beyond: Two Souls might not have been the blockbuster one would imagine it to be, but thatís because the genre of the game is for a limited audience. In other words, itís not a mainstream game. But imagine AC getting similar treatment. Iím sure that when someone like DiCaprio or Neeson, or beautiful actresses like Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts, Jodie Foster or Milla Jovovich take part in a big video game, imagine the exposure it will get in the world of movies and the world of games.

I totally love the idea!

fcederberg
05-05-2014, 08:57 PM
We've already had Hollywood actors in the game. Does Kristen Bell ring any uhm bells?

Shahkulu101
05-05-2014, 09:12 PM
After playing Beyond: Two Souls and seeing how Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe were re-created in 3D in the best way possible in terms of role, acting, expressions, motion-capture and overall story, I think I totally agree with your idea. And come to think of it. If we get an Assassin played by Liam Neeson, or even a Templar. How awesome can that be? Video Gaming is an art. It’s no longer “move that ball from here to there and let it eat the dots on it’s way to win” nor some guy jumping and collecting mushrooms. Video Games now are a form of art and a power to be reckoned with in the entertainment industry and I don’t see why can’t there be more interaction between Hollywood and the Video Gaming Industry. If anything, it means more exposure and promotion and more sales.

Beyond: Two Souls might not have been the blockbuster one would imagine it to be, but that’s because the genre of the game is for a limited audience. In other words, it’s not a mainstream game. But imagine AC getting similar treatment. I’m sure that when someone like DiCaprio or Neeson, or beautiful actresses like Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts, Jodie Foster or Milla Jovovich take part in a big video game, imagine the exposure it will get in the world of movies and the world of games.

I totally love the idea!

You're right. Gaming is an art form - it's very own art form. Why imitate movies when that only serves to devolve the medium? We are the only medium that offers interactivity in regards to the player. We can control things, make our own rules, create our own adventures and you people just want to sit back and watch cutscenes? Look at a game such as Journey. You see any Hollywood actors there? No. Why was it supposedly heart wrenching and emotionally involving you ask? That's right, game mechanics! No real plot, no cutscenes to speak of. Just the player, a character, and a wonderful world to interpret for our selves. That's the beauty of games. Not cutscenes or Hollywood actors - the actual games, the interactivity, the involvement. Not passive storytelling.

GunnerGalactico
05-05-2014, 09:23 PM
After playing Beyond: Two Souls and seeing how Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe were re-created in 3D in the best way possible in terms of role, acting, expressions, motion-capture and overall story, I think I totally agree with your idea. And come to think of it. If we get an Assassin played by Liam Neeson, or even a Templar. How awesome can that be? Video Gaming is an art. It’s no longer “move that ball from here to there and let it eat the dots on it’s way to win” nor some guy jumping and collecting mushrooms. Video Games now are a form of art and a power to be reckoned with in the entertainment industry and I don’t see why can’t there be more interaction between Hollywood and the Video Gaming Industry. If anything, it means more exposure and promotion and more sales.

Beyond: Two Souls might not have been the blockbuster one would imagine it to be, but that’s because the genre of the game is for a limited audience. In other words, it’s not a mainstream game. But imagine AC getting similar treatment. I’m sure that when someone like DiCaprio or Neeson, or beautiful actresses like Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts, Jodie Foster or Milla Jovovich take part in a big video game, imagine the exposure it will get in the world of movies and the world of games.

I totally love the idea!

You're right. Gaming is an art form - it's very own art form. Why imitate movies when that only serves to devolve the medium? We are the only medium that offers interactivity in regards to the player. We can control things, make our own rules, create our own adventures and you people just want to sit back and watch cutscenes? Look at a game such as Journey. You see any Hollywood actors there? No. Why was it supposedly heart wrenching and emotionally involving you ask? That's right, game mechanics! No real plot, no cutscenes to speak of. Just the player, a character, and a wonderful world to interpret for our selves. That's the beauty of games. Not cutscenes or Hollywood actors - the actual games, the interactivity, the involvement. Not passive storytelling.

Agreed. Hollywood actors lend their voices and sometimes do facial motion-capture to animated characters in Pixar animated or DreamWorks movies. I don't see why they should not be involved in videogames. Doing motion-capturing is acting, the only difference is that they will be wearing a wet suit covered in dots. :p

Shahkulu101
05-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Agreed. Hollywood actors lend their voices and sometimes do facial motion-capture to animated characters in Pixar animated or DreamWorks movies. I don't see why they should not be involved in videogames. Doing motion-capturing is acting, the only difference is that they will be wearing a wet suit covered in dots. :p

Errr...I was actually debating with Rino's post about the importance and relevance of Hollywood actors in video games...so you don't agree with me.

RinoTheBouncer
05-05-2014, 09:25 PM

I’m not asking for an interactive movie marketed as a video game. I’m talking about using the potentials of an experienced actor/actress to portray the character the we want to live with in the game world. I’m sure you know that I don’t mean the game should have Julia Roberts playing herself fin the game as a famous actress, and our mission is not allowing the Paparazzi to take pics. I’m talking about the game as it is, without any changes but having a famous actor who will hopefully do a great job with the game and also help giving more exposure to the game in addition to being a familiar fave that fans might enjoy seeing because gamers themselves do watch movies as well and have favorite actors/actresses.

Lets not forget that since PS1 and most, if not all video game have been trying to be a “movie that we control ourselves”.

Movies are also a form of art and they’re their own world but they’ve borrowed a lot from different other forms of art and it worked. So my point wasn’t to turn the game to an interactive movie. But I just wanna note that cutscenes are important and have existed since PS1 games, so as long as the game offers good gameplay and story, cutscenes aren’t gonna ruin anything and stories ARE indeed very important in the world of video games, especially in the last few years. Cutscenes, good voice acting and motion capture as well as realistic graphics and dialogue will indeed help improving all that.

TheHumanTowel
05-05-2014, 09:27 PM
The use of big name actors and their likenesses is a bit gimmicky most of the time. I wouldn't buy a game just because of it. It's not necessarily a bad thing but Ubi didn't get Kristen Bell to do voice work for The Lost Archive because she would've cost too much money for a dlc so there's that also.

Shahkulu101
05-05-2014, 09:30 PM
I’m not asking for an interactive movie marketed as a video game. I’m talking about using the potentials of an experienced actor/actress to portray the character the we want to live with in the game world. I’m sure you know that I don’t mean the game should have Julia Roberts playing herself fin the game as a famous actress, and our mission is not allowing the Paparazzi to take pics. I’m talking about the game as it is, without any changes but having a famous actor who will hopefully do a great job with the game and also help giving more exposure to the game in addition to being a familiar fave that fans might enjoy seeing because gamers themselves do watch movies as well and have favorite actors/actresses.

Lets not forget that since PS1 and most, if not all video game have been trying to be a “movie that we control ourselves”.

Movies are also a form of art and they’re their own world but they’ve borrowed a lot from different other forms of art and it worked. So my point wasn’t to turn the game to an interactive movie. But I just wanna note that cutscenes are important and have existed since PS1 games, so as long as the game offers good gameplay and story, cutscenes aren’t gonna ruin anything and stories ARE indeed very important in the world of video games, especially in the last few years. Cutscenes, good voice acting and motion capture as well as realistic graphics and dialogue will indeed help improving all that.

Points taken. I kind of went off on a tangent there - but I just believe that the actors are a very minor part of a video game. As story is secondary in my opinion. Important, but secondary.

RinoTheBouncer
05-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Points taken. I kind of went off on a tangent there - but I just believe that the actors are a very minor part of a video game. As story is secondary in my opinion. Important, but secondary.

I get your points as well. Regarding story, to me it’s a main thing. However, I don’t mind stories that are often similar to other games. For example, Mass Effect’s story wasn’t all that original but the characters, their dialogues, relationships to one another, the scenery, the gameplay, the missions style, the development and emotions, they were PERFECT. But for example, with AC, I don’t really like historical settings unless they’re ancient and I prefer either too modern or too ancient, but I got into AC because of it’s story, the First Civ. thing and the modern day thing.

It’s like my main factors for liking a game are Story, Characters and Gameplay. For example, I wouldn’t play an FPS game even if it had a good story nor would I play a strategic one, simply because I do not enjoy that style of gameplay. So it’s a mixture of all, but indeed, story is a big deal to me.

Regarding actors, I think we haven’t gotten many actors in games because it’s only lately that the video game industry graphical standards are capable of accommodating actors and their detailed looks and facial expressions, in other words, it’s only with this gen. that the presence of an actors is actually noticeable.

STDlyMcStudpants
05-05-2014, 09:52 PM
No...
Call of Duty are obviously scraping just to continue their series....
I mean its a twitch based shooter.. you dont have much to work with
Anything before WW2 isnt fast enough and they clearly lack the imagination to bring fresh future titles....
COD will turn into a MP only game by 2016....
Assassins Creed on the other hand has over 2,000 years to work worth...
They will never need a gimmick or a name on the cover to sell games....

STDlyMcStudpants
05-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Because they're more relatable, approachable, and friendly.
Would you tell a knock knock joke to ezio or connor?
Ezio because he may laugh... connor will just stare and headbut you lmaooo

SixKeys
05-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Using big-name actors because they're perfect for the role? Fine in my book. Using big-name actors just because they're big-name actors? Hell no. And with the possibilities that mocap offers us, aka being able to use an actor's performance while creating a new face entirely from scratch, why would you want to watch the same actor's face you've seen a million times in your favorite video game? Kristen Bell was okay, but there was a bit of uncanny valley going on in the first game and starting with AC2 they basically turned her into a cartoon, so there wasn't much point to using her face anyway.

oliacr
05-05-2014, 10:57 PM

Now that's interesting. 2000years and we are stuck in the 18th century since AC3.

I-Like-Pie45
05-05-2014, 11:36 PM
The first guy Joel tortured in the cabin during the winter 8D and no, Jimmy Cooper is the guy Joel shoots at the start of the game xP
You're wrong

Ethan is the Firefly Joel interrogates and shoots in the **** when he decides to save Ellie

AdamPearce
05-05-2014, 11:50 PM
I think the videogame industry should not engage Hollywood actor but instead support 'local' actor to make careers like Nolan North or more recently Troy Baker. Basically the VI should more autonomist.

Soulid_Snake
05-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Not worth the money, if you ask me!

Like OP said, maybe it might be good for mo-cap or facial capture. But, personally, using a Hollywood actor is more of Marketing stunt. In all honesty, its the smaller actors that seem to do the best jobs in videogames.

Locopells
05-06-2014, 12:22 AM
With regards to the OP, I would say it's perfectly possible, but well - see below.

Wait, what?

I only know of a few characters Nolan North voiced. He was...Penguin in Batman Arkham City and Arkham Knight

That was him?! Damm, I gotta pay closer attentions to the credits...and wait, Penguin's back in AK?!

Saw that! Never played the game, but randomly ended up watching the cutscenes on YouTube...

^^^Remind me to not challenge M in TLOU trivia....

Done.

We've already had Hollywood actors in the game. Does Kristen Bell ring any uhm bells?

Ding!

No...
Call of Duty are obviously scraping just to continue their series....
I mean itís a twitch based shooter.. you donít have much to work with
Anything before WW2 isnít fast enough and they clearly lack the imagination to bring fresh future titles....
COD will turn into a MP only game by 2016....
They will never need a gimmick or a name on the cover to sell games....

Agreed. Gimmick maybe (pirates/naval, anyone?!), but name? Hell no.

Using big-name actors because they're perfect for the role? Fine in my book. Using big-name actors just because they're big-name actors? Hell no. And with the possibilities that mocap offers us, aka being able to use an actor's performance while creating a new face entirely from scratch, why would you want to watch the same actor's face you've seen a million times in your favourite video game?

Depends how you do it. Using live action cutscenes of Maggie Q in NFS:Undercover was one thing, but in say, L.A. Noire, there was quite a bit of fun in recognising the actors in an environment when it's normally voice only.

Now that's interesting. 2000years and we are stuck in the 18th century since AC3.

By choice though, not main series premise - and it shouldn't last forever...

BTW, since we're on the subject, did anyone catch Roger Craig Smith in Planes?!

Kagurra
05-06-2014, 12:56 AM
That Kevin Spacey thing is just really goofy. As if I couldn't take COD seriously as it is.

ze_topazio
05-06-2014, 01:17 AM
I prefer David Hayter over Kiefer Sutherland.

Morgan Freeman should have voiced Achilles.

AC in India needs a cast of Bollywood actors.

I-Like-Pie45
05-06-2014, 01:21 AM
Its Pre MGS4 Hayter > Sutherland > Post MGS4 Hayter

The4orTy67
05-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I agree. We need fresh blood. I'm tired of hearing the same fake *** broke *** voice actors in games like Troy Faker, Nolan North or Robin Atkin Downes or Roger Craig Smith. Get some other guys and don't use the voice actors' bargain bin.

LoyalACFan
05-04-2015, 01:27 AM
Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I agree. We need fresh blood. I'm tired of hearing the same fake *** broke *** voice actors in games like Troy Faker, Nolan North or Robin Atkin Downes or Roger Craig Smith. Get some other guys and don't use the voice actors' bargain bin.

Lol, those four are probably the richest and most expensive voice actors around, and every one of them can absolutely disappear into their roles. Ubi really is bad about reusing voice actors though; I'm pretty sure the Cesare and Lorenzo actors have played at least seven or eight characters each. After a while there are only so many ways you can disguise your voice, and it's starting to get really noticeable.

As for bringing Hollywood actors in... eh. I'm kind of indifferent. Sometimes a Hollywood actor is good in a video game role (Kevin Spacey in COD, Kiefer Sutherland in MGS) and other times it feels like they're just phoning it in, even if they're a really good actor (looking at you, Peter ****lage). I don't think Hollywood talent necessarily correlates with a better performance, so I'd rather see them just use the extra money they'd be paying them to diversify their voice actor cast.

Edit- okay, why the blue hell is d-i-n-k-l-a-g-e censored?

I-Like-Pie45
05-04-2015, 01:37 AM
Lol, those four are probably the richest and most expensive voice actors around, and every one of them can absolutely disappear into their roles. Ubi really is bad about reusing voice actors though; I'm pretty sure the Cesare and Lorenzo actors have played at least seven or eight characters each. After a while there are only so many ways you can disguise your voice, and it's starting to get really noticeable.

As for bringing Hollywood actors in... eh. I'm kind of indifferent. Sometimes a Hollywood actor is good in a video game role (Kevin Spacey in COD, Kiefer Sutherland in MGS) and other times it feels like they're just phoning it in, even if they're a really good actor (looking at you, Peter ****lage). I don't think Hollywood talent necessarily correlates with a better performance, so I'd rather see them just use the extra money they'd be paying them to diversify their voice actor cast.
Edit- okay, why the blue hell is d-i-n-k-l-a-g-e censored?

Do you know what **** means, boy, do you? ;)

Mr.Black24
05-04-2015, 03:07 AM
I just can't help for the fact that if there was a Civil War game, I would love the idea that the Mentor of the American Brotherhood, a 50-70 something guy, would be voiced by badass himself, Clint Eastwood. Like his character is a guy that even though he is wise and patience, he can go stone cold badass on ya, like his angry stare is enough to make Templars turn tail lol.

My own personal side note: Bruh, him telling stories about how his grandfathers was a Pirate, Templar, and a Master Assassin thou....

Xstantin
05-04-2015, 03:18 AM
We need fresh blood. I'm tired of hearing the same fake *** broke *** voice actors in games like Troy Faker, Nolan North or Robin Atkin Downes or Roger Craig Smith. Get some other guys and don't use the voice actors' bargain bin.

Lol, I'm sure "Thief! He stole that from me!" NPC woman is gonna sound exactly the same she did since forever :rolleyes: unlike let's say TLOU Joel and Delsin

Namikaze_17
05-04-2015, 03:58 AM
My own personal side note: Bruh, him telling stories about how his grandfathers was a Pirate, Templar, and a Master Assassin thou....

I see what you did there... :rolleyes:

Mr.Black24
05-04-2015, 04:01 AM
I see what you did there... :rolleyes:Well, how else did he inherit the Aura of Badassitude. :rolleyes:

pirate1802
05-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Nah... unnecessary money splurging. Maybe if you are someone as big as Ubisoft or EA you can afford to do that but for others I don't think it's worth it. You can find just as good actors elsewhere. Some used the example of Beyond: Two Souls. Funnily for me, it was exactly the opposite case for me. That Ellen Page played Jodie ultimately did nothing for me because the story was just that flat. So all those star power and massive money spent over her went down the drain as far as I'm concerned.

Only the big publishers can afford such a budget and ironically, these publishers are the ones whose games are the least innovative so maybe they should reevaluate their priorities. If someone employs a big Hollywood name, for me the resul would be at best appropriate if nothing special, and at worse a huge money waste. Ellen Page and Spacey being cases in point: Ellen being done in by a weirdly hodge podge narrative and Spacey being spaced by a super cliched characterization that outright had him acting like an ignoramus at points. I've yet to see a character who has been able to dazzle me based on its Hollywood-affiliated VA alone (without equally good lines/narrative) while I've seen plenty of characters voiced by small-timers and relative unknown which just picked me up and stole me. The person in my sig for example. The moment I heard his voice in the game I was in love, and I ain't even gay. :o

Because they're more relatable, approachable, and friendly.
Would you tell a knock knock joke to ezio or connor?
Ezio because he may laugh... connor will just stare and headbut you lmaooo

That's a hell of an assumption. Relatable? For you maybe, if you are charismatic. Not for me. Approachable? Friendly? Yes. But then I don't need a smiling dolt as a hero in every videogame. Imagine if movies stipulated only smiling lady's man type of heroes, so many beauties would never have been born. To your last line it depends on which Ezio we are talking about, for example I'd stay far far away from the AC2 Ezio because he is a massive ******bag who sees women as future conquests, so I have no business being anywhere near him. Connor any day.

AC in India needs a cast of Bollywood actors.

Then that'll be the day I quit AC for good..

ze_topazio
05-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Just imagine, the Assassin kills the target and after that the Assassin and the guards start singing and dancing about the job well done.

Locopells
05-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Just imagine, the Assassin kills the target and after that the Assassin and the guards start singing and dancing about the job well done.

What is this, The Mask?!

Sushiglutton
05-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Tomorrow is the one year celebration of this classic thread :cool:! Reminds me of when I still made constructive posts lol.

Hans684
05-04-2015, 07:36 PM
What about this guy?

http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2014/06/constantine-matt-ryan-100252.jpg