PDA

View Full Version : Favorite side mission types

SixKeys
05-02-2014, 09:53 PM
What are your favorite types of side missions in AC?

Assassination contracts can be a bit hit and miss for me, but I always enjoy destroying towers or doing plantation raids. So many ways to approach those, and getting to your goal is so satisfying. I also enjoy tombs, at least with the AC1-ACR control scheme. AC3 had a few good locations, but the parkour wasn't as exciting.

I don't miss races or deliveries at all. Naval boarding was a lot of fun for one game, but I don't want it to return.

BATISTABUS
05-02-2014, 10:14 PM
I like a number of these, but I like tombs so much more that I decided to only vote for that.

Shahkulu101
05-02-2014, 10:15 PM
I'd have to say towers. I enjoy them a lot because it's kind of a mini-sandbox where you can use all the mechanics at your disposal in a variety of ways - sort of like a stage where you can see the mechanics in the limelight - at their best. Something which was lacking in the series actual mission structure for a while until AC4 brought back a great deal of freedom to it's main campaign. These would be doubly fun with an improved, revamped stealth system. And combat, for those who choose to play that way.

GunnerGalactico
05-02-2014, 10:22 PM
My favourite side mission is exploring tombs, especially in AC2 and Revelations.

My second favourite is Naval boarding.

oliacr
05-02-2014, 10:27 PM
First is gotta be the tombs, miss those now. Second is naval.

Shahkulu101
05-02-2014, 10:29 PM
I wonder if anyone will pick board games lol

Sushiglutton
05-02-2014, 10:38 PM
I voted for tombs, tower/plantation and naval boarding.

Tower/Plantation is the sidemission type that is in every Ubi game these days and I don't mind. It's basically an open playground for the stealth mechanics of the game. Since those changes the mission type can be around forever and still feel fresh (with some variety in objectives).

I have enjoyed the visual presentation of the tombs, but not always the execution. They are Prince Of Persia like sequences, but AC just doesn't have as enjoyable parkour, so they have felt a little flat gameplay wise. I also dislike when they add guards to the tomb missions for the most part as I feel that is missing the point. A more interactive parkour system would lift this mission type to new heights.

Naval boarding is just spectacular and I would guess it's the greatest technical feat of the franchise.

Assassination missions are okey, but they are a little too barebone in their current form imo. I liked the ones taking place on islands as there was quite a few guards you needed to pass before you got to the target. Some of them are just weird because you are within pistol range form the target even when you are outside the restricted area.
Delivery requests are junk content that shouldn't be accepted by the producer imo.
Races/couriers relies on a parkour system that again isn't all that exciting in terms of running fast. The presentation has also been kind of lacking as they feel super gamey. Meh.
Upgrading the Homestead/Villa: I dunno, not my thing I suppose. I think they had some neat ideas in AC3 but it was let down by a clumsy interface and an aimless economy.
Board games: This is something I really like and I think it's a great way to connect with the era. It's cool that a game from 2012 can include games that are hundreds of years old. I had never played three of the games in AC3 and it was fun to learn them. I hope Unity will feature some card/board games that were played in France around 1789!

I-Like-Pie45
05-02-2014, 10:46 PM
I wonder if anyone will pick board games lol
done

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Assassination contracts, Tombs, Liberation missions, Fort liberations, Naval was ok, Delivery requests (Too bad it bugged too much for me on AC3 - the only thing that kept me from getting 100% X_X), Upgrading your villa/Homestead was interesting, I LOVE Nine Men's Morris, Hunting was a nice changing of atmosphere

Sushiglutton
05-02-2014, 10:53 PM
done

http://truthbutter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/suprisedcat123.png

Rugterwyper32
05-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Voted assassination contracts, tombs and towers/plantations. However, putting them in order of preference, I'd say:

1. Towers/plantations
2. Tombs
3. Assassination contracts

Towers are just a total gameplay joy that displays what stealth in this series can truly do. You have a great amount of options, and if the series keeps improving on interior locations adding such an element in the vicinity of such areas would open up the possibilities even more.

Tombs are great, but I do feel that if they were turned seamless with transtions into interior locations and had more stuff going on along the lines of St. Peter's Basilica in Brotherhood where there's actually people in there (easily the best tomb of the series, IMO) then that'd be a noticeable improvement.

Assassination Contracts are also fun in a bun, though what they suffer from is that I feel they end too quickly. See, the issue is, I feel there should be a few more steps after taking out the target, namely getting out of the area and turning in the contract rather than just "mission's over here's your money". Add that and I think it'd add to the experience and make assassination contracts that much more enjoyable

SixKeys
05-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Tombs are great, but I do feel that if they were turned seamless with transtions into interior locations and had more stuff going on along the lines of St. Peter's Basilica in Brotherhood where there's actually people in there (easily the best tomb of the series, IMO) then that'd be a noticeable improvement.

I liked the social stealth and alternate endings part of that mission, but hated the camera angles (PC player here). Those ruined it for me. My favorite tombs are probably Mad Doctor's Castle in AC3 and the claustrophobic Catacombs in ACB. The Colosseum one had a cool section with the weird Eyes Wide Shut party going on where you had to track your target with Eagle Vision.

Rugterwyper32
05-02-2014, 11:54 PM
I liked the social stealth and alternate endings part of that mission, but hated the camera angles (PC player here). Those ruined it for me. My favorite tombs are probably Mad Doctor's Castle in AC3 and the claustrophobic Catacombs in ACB. The Colosseum one had a cool section with the weird Eyes Wide Shut party going on where you had to track your target with Eagle Vision.

Yeah, the Colosseum was also pretty cool in that one segment. I'd like to see more stuff like that in tombs, you know?

The Mad Doctor's Castle in AC3 was an atmospheric treat, though. That was fantastic. I also enjoyed the Torre Grossa one from San Gimignano in 2, for some reason. It was pretty satisfying.

DumbGamerTag94
05-03-2014, 12:34 AM
This was a tough one for me. I chose Tombs because I found those very fun and an interesting way to explore locations in the AC games. I wish I could have chose more than one though, because I really enjoy Naval boarding it was a really fun new feature for Black Flag, and not so much assassin contracts, but the Templar Hunts(the ones that had a story to them) were very nice as well, it was like little side stories rather than just random assignments to kill a random soldier/guard that doesn't matter(Assassin Contracts). I also loved forts in the last two games, that was really fun too.

AherasSTRG
05-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Taking the forts in AC3 and AC4. By far.

jayjay275
05-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Fort taking has always been my favourite. It was the best in ACB. :)
Plus if it counts, my favourite tomb has to be a Wolf in Sheep's clothing from Brotherhood.

Assassin_M
05-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Lol, people like tombs more than Assassination contracts...i'm so done with this fanbase...

jayjay275
05-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Lol, people like tombs more than Assassination contracts...i'm so done with this fanbase...

Well, if the contracts are like AC3's, who wouldn't prefer tombs over contracts? :O

Assassin_M
05-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Well, if the contracts are like AC3's, who wouldn't prefer tombs over contracts? :O
but AC II had well designed contracts, ACB had awesomely designed contracts, AC IV had great contracts and AC III is the only time where contracts sucked so everyone bases the contracts on the ones in AC III? that doesn't make sense

STDlyMcStudpants
05-03-2014, 04:44 PM
How are the homestead missions not a choice? lol those are hands down THE BEST side missions to date in AC.. such wonderful character development there...
#2 are the Templar Hunts in AC 4 (also not a choice) -_-
#3 Cristina missions in ACB..... also not a choice lol
#4 Leonardo's Blueprints
ALL better side missions haha

Ureh
05-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Contracts, towers/ac3 forts/plantations, races, homestead, and tombs. Races takes second place cause they were really fun in the Ezio trilogy. Wish AC2 villa was more involved with the townsfolk, family, and assassins. So I voted more for the homestead.

Assassin_M
05-03-2014, 04:50 PM
How are the homestead missions not a choice? lol those are hands down THE BEST side missions to date in AC.. such wonderful character development there...
#4 Leonardo's Blueprints
well, you could vote for others and post what they are...

Wish AC2 villa was more involved with the townsfolk, family, and assassins. So I voted more for the homestead.
yeah, I wanna make that clear too. I did NOT vote for the Villa, just the Homestead..the Villa was terrible

HDinHB
05-03-2014, 06:20 PM
yeah, I wanna make that clear too. I did NOT vote for the Villa, just the Homestead..the Villa was terrible

What!? You didn't like to look at the book? :rolleyes:

I liked the interaction with the paintings at the Villa--you could get a full screen view with no text, just like being at the Louvre. The collectibles aspect of the game has degraded since then. But you're right the Homestead had a whole lot more going on, with lots of interaction and character development. Any Assassin who herds pigs for a pregnant lady is alright in my book.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-03-2014, 08:00 PM
What!? You didn't like to look at the book? :rolleyes:

I liked the interaction with the paintings at the Villa--you could get a full screen view with no text, just like being at the Louvre. The collectibles aspect of the game has degraded since then. But you're right the Homestead had a whole lot more going on, with lots of interaction and character development. Any Assassin who herds pigs for a pregnant lady is alright in my book.

Loled at this, and I agree. Lovely background development within the story. I can see it now lol - "the things I do for this place, they're faster than they look." :p

I-Like-Pie45
05-03-2014, 08:02 PM
it was only too bad you couldn't actually like greet/interact with the homesteaders outside of optional conversations and missions

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-03-2014, 08:09 PM
it was only too bad you couldn't actually like greet/interact with the homesteaders outside of optional conversations and missions

Very true.

SixKeys
05-03-2014, 08:20 PM
but AC II had well designed contracts, ACB had awesomely designed contracts, AC IV had great contracts and AC III is the only time where contracts sucked so everyone bases the contracts on the ones in AC III? that doesn't make sense

Like I said, the contracts are a bit hit and miss. AC3's contracts were a joke, some of AC2 and ACB's contracts were great while others were dull as hell. Like the one in ACB where you have to assassinate a captain who's stuck riding his horse in a pen. He won't even try to run away after spotting you, you can just grab a horse and jump on his back. Lame. AC4 was also hit and miss. AC2's contracts had a bit more variation in the scenarios and archetypes (some targets would try to run, others would fight). AC4 offered a lot of freedom in approach, but they were all pretty much the same basic scenario: target walks around in a circle inside a small restricted area. No restrictions on stealth (aka no insta-desynch) meant you could shoot every single target from a mile away, so there was no challenge whatsoever. AC2 had at least a couple of contracts where you had to lure your target out of his hiding spot first.

#4 Leonardo's Blueprints

The poll only allowed for 10 options, hence the choice for "Other". AC4's Templar hunts are pretty much the same as assassination contracts anyway.

Assassin_M
05-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Like I said, the contracts are a bit hit and miss. AC3's contracts were a joke, some of AC2 and ACB's contracts were great while others were dull as hell. Like the one in ACB where you have to assassinate a captain who's stuck riding his horse in a pen. He won't even try to run away after spotting you, you can just grab a horse and jump on his back. Lame. AC4 was also hit and miss. AC2's contracts had a bit more variation in the scenarios and archetypes (some targets would try to run, others would fight). AC4 offered a lot of freedom in approach, but they were all pretty much the same basic scenario: target walks around in a circle inside a small restricted area. No restrictions on stealth (aka no insta-desynch) meant you could shoot every single target from a mile away, so there was no challenge whatsoever. AC2 had at least a couple of contracts where you had to lure your target out of his hiding spot first.
Everything has a hit and miss. for me, some of the tombs were extremely boring but many of them I actually liked, I encountered glitches while attempting some of the Borgia towers...etc but heck, people keep complaining that "waaa waaaaaa it's not AC anymore, I want to do Assassin stuff not herd pigs" and THEN, when a poll is made about side missions, a non-assassin side mission is winning

SixKeys
05-04-2014, 12:18 AM
Well, the tombs were at least marginally related to assassin stuff since we were collecting assassin seals and tracking down Borgia conspirators. Herding pigs had nothing to do with anything (to be fair though, neither did collecting art or upgrading your villa).

TheHumanTowel
05-04-2014, 12:45 AM
The tombs were parkour challenges. Parkour is one of the main systems in assassins creed. Herding pigs and attending weddings is not.

MCRMJ
05-04-2014, 01:43 AM
It's a tie for me between the assassination contracts and tombs.

The tombs in AC2 and ACB were excellent and they were a nice change of pace (I think the Jesper soundtracks that accompanied them made everything that more atmospheric). They were challenging (on first playthrough of course) and not just a 'corridor' like one way street as they were in Revelations (for the keys). What spoiled them somewhat was the introduction of the 100% sync objectives, there should be no reason to rush through something in under 8 mins.

I imagine a lot of stuff could fall under assassination contracts, the templar hunts from ACB where you kill the multiplayer avatars for example, were very well done and added variety. The ones in 4 were all a little too similar though when you pick apart the main gameplay, each main mechanic was repetitive (tailing, eavesdropping, plantations once you'd done one you'd done them all) I'd say the Templar Hunt was pretty similar in style to the one from ACB, a bit of added side story mixed in with various killings.

The Borgia towers were excellent though especially as they tied into the economy system (even though buying every art shop and landmark in Rome was kinda ridiculous).

When you look back I guess Brotherhood had a lot more variety overall in terms of side content (tombs, Christina missions, Leonardo missions, Templar hunts, faction challenges, races, assassination contracts, economy/renovations, animus glitches/glyphs, brotherhood building, Borgia towers, fight club) and the DLC added extras as well (harlequin hunt, the dice game).

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 02:11 AM
Well, the tombs were at least marginally related to assassin stuff since we were collecting assassin seals and tracking down Borgia conspirators. Herding pigs had nothing to do with anything (to be fair though, neither did collecting art or upgrading your villa).
It was only once that we were tracking down Borgia conspirators and collecting assassin seals has nothing to do with BEING an Assassin, in my opinion. It's more about adding to the lore of the universe.

The tombs were parkour challenges. Parkour is one of the main systems in assassins creed. Herding pigs and attending weddings is not.
Herding pigs involved involved running, running is a main system in AC. the wedding included parkour on trees, which is another main system of AC. Oh and just in case you reply with "it's one of the major training for Assassins", EVERYONE knows Parkour in AC. Guards, pirates, some civilians, thieves, Templars...etc, so no it's not exclusive to the Assassins.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 02:16 AM
When you look back I guess Brotherhood had a lot more variety overall in terms of side content (tombs (rehashed races), Christina missions (creepy stalking that's embarrassing to play), Leonardo missions, Templar hunts (rehashed Assassination contracts), faction challenges (rehashed everything), races, assassination contracts, economy/renovations(stagnant), animus glitches/glyphs, brotherhood building(repetitive), Borgia towers, fight club)
Imo..

that said, at least they were better than AC II's beating up husbands and delivering letters...

TheHumanTowel
05-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Herding pigs involved involved running, running is a main system in AC. the wedding included parkour on trees, which is another main system of AC. Oh and just in case you reply with "it's one of the major training for Assassins", EVERYONE knows Parkour in AC. Guards, pirates, some civilians, thieves, Templars...etc, so no it's not exclusive to the Assassins.
I couldn't give a ****e about whether parkour or the tombs is directly related to being an assassin. Parkour is one of if not the main mechanic in Assassin's Creed. And it doesn't take a genius to see the difference between big parkour dungeons and incidental parkour while Connor's playing Sylvanian families with the boring residents of the homestead.

Shahkulu101
05-04-2014, 01:17 PM
I agree that the residents were downright uninteresting. Perhaps I'd be all right carrying out mundane tasks, attending weddings and the like if the characters and story premises were entertaining - but the characters and Connor just come off as completely awkward in every scene.

Excep for Godfrey and Terry. Godfrey and Terry are glorious.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 04:40 PM
I couldn't give a ****e about whether parkour or the tombs is directly related to being an assassin. Parkour is one of if not the main mechanic in Assassin's Creed. And it doesn't take a genius to see the difference between big parkour dungeons and incidental parkour while Connor's playing Sylvanian families with the boring residents of the homestead.
Settle down, mate....of course you don't care that it has nothing to do with being an Assassin but hohoho, if it's the homestead (which included combat, parkour and stealth) it's "omg, this is not ac anymore" but hey, the Villa management is the best thing ever, right?

I don't care that you thought it was fun or if it's a main mechanic. People here moan and whine that AC has Incorporated elements that have nothing to with BEING an Assassin, while it has been happening since AC II but no one is going to say that because AC II is the best thing ever..

TheHumanTowel
05-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Settle down, mate....of course you don't care that it has nothing to do with being an Assassin but hohoho, if it's the homestead (which included combat, parkour and stealth) it's "omg, this is not ac anymore" but hey, the Villa management is the best thing ever, right?

I don't care that you thought it was fun or if it's a main mechanic. People here moan and whine that AC has Incorporated elements that have nothing to with BEING an Assassin, while it has been happening since AC II but no one is going to say that because AC II is the best thing ever..
No people moan that AC3 had about two assassination missions in comparison to Connor's many peripheral interests. AC2 had tons of assassination contracts as well as peripheral stuff like the villa. Thus it is considered better by scientists around the world. You seem to keep ignoring that though in your quest to find some non-existent hypocrisy in regards to AC2.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 06:27 PM
No people moan that AC3 had about two assassination missions in comparison to Connor's many peripheral interests. AC2 had tons of assassination contracts as well as peripheral stuff like the villa. Thus it is considered better by scientists around the world. You seem to keep ignoring that though in your quest to find some non-existent hypocrisy in regards to AC2.
Lets examine this in detail then...

Assassins Creed II has 29 Assassination contracts (given by Lorenzo who's not an Assassin to kill people who are mostly non-templars). in comparison to that, AC II had 6 tombs, 5 beat up events, 6 races, 5 courier assignments and 20 Glyphs...(I'm not even going into the Villa management)

There you go...in comparison to Assassination contracts, Ezio's "other peripheral activities" greatly outnumber the contracts

TheHumanTowel
05-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Lets examine this in detail then...

Assassins Creed II has 29 Assassination contracts (given by Lorenzo who's not an Assassin to kill people who are mostly non-templars). in comparison to that, AC II had 6 tombs, 5 beat up events, 6 races, 5 courier assignments and 20 Glyphs...(I'm not even going into the Villa management)

There you go...in comparison to Assassination contracts, Ezio's "other peripheral activities" greatly outnumber the contracts
No one cares Lorenzo's not an assassin you're still assassinating people and not selling furniture.

No. of AC3 assassinations missions: -6
No. of AC3 pig herding missions: 57

The detailed numbers speak for themselves.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 06:48 PM
No one cares Lorenzo's not an assassin you're still assassinating people and not selling furniture.
Lol, you got stuck on a simple side note? I wasnt even arguing that AC II's contracts should not be considered good because of that.
Oh well, at least it wasn't a stagnant economic system "go to building, press X...YAY MONEY"

No. of AC3 assassinations missions: -6
No. of AC3 pig herding missions: 57
Oversimplified and completely childish....if we apply your logic to the AC III contracts, which was "no one cares, we're still Assassinating people" then we had 9 Assassination contracts in AC III. We're taking contracts from non-Assassins and Assassinating people in places, just like AC II.

There was only ONE pig herding mission in AC III, stop being silly.

The detailed numbers speak for themselves.
Funny that you use "detailed" when your post is a childish oversimplification...just admit that the standards you apply to AC II are not the same one applied to AC III

Jexx21
05-04-2014, 07:05 PM
maybe it's just me but I really enjoyed the Homestead missions and their characters... some of the best side missions in any AC game.

TheHumanTowel
05-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Lol, you got stuck on a simple side note? I wasnt even arguing that AC II's contracts should not be considered good because of that.
Oh well, at least it wasn't a stagnant economic system "go to building, press X...YAY MONEY"

Oversimplified and completely childish....if we apply your logic to the AC III contracts, which was "no one cares, we're still Assassinating people" then we had 9 Assassination contracts in AC III. We're taking contracts from non-Assassins and Assassinating people in places, just like AC II.

There was only ONE pig herding mission in AC III, stop being silly.

Funny that you use "detailed" when your post is a childish oversimplification...just admit that the standards you apply to AC II are not the same one applied to AC III
No one cares. AC2 is generally considered better than AC3 because it is better than AC3. The sooner you can admit that, the sooner you can put back the pieces of your shattered life.

Hans684
05-04-2014, 07:17 PM
No one cares. AC2 is generally considered better than AC3 because it is better than AC3. The sooner you can admit that, the sooner you can put back the pieces of your shattered life.

What's TRUE and what IS aren't always the same.

TheHumanTowel
05-04-2014, 07:18 PM
What's TRUE and what IS aren't always the same.
And yet in this case they are.

Hans684
05-04-2014, 07:22 PM
And yet in this case they are.

Of course it is, it's AC3 we are talking about. The destroyer of AC.

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-04-2014, 07:33 PM
maybe it's just me but I really enjoyed the Homestead missions and their characters... some of the best side missions in any AC game.

You're not alone. I second this.

Megas_Doux
05-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Tombs!!!!!

For which I always feel "angry" everytime I play AC IV, the setting had immense potential -sadly wasted- in terms of platforming levels: Huge Mayan Ruins , tons of mysterious non mayan pre columbian caves with some REALLY eerie drawings that could have also lead to more TCWB stuff, Mines etc etc....

Then Towers/plantantions.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Hahahahahaha, I have cemented my victory

GunnerGalactico
05-04-2014, 07:57 PM

You're not alone. I second this.

I third this.

jayjay275
05-04-2014, 07:59 PM
My very favourite side missions were the templar contracts in Brotherhood, where they actually felt like a proper mission. Priest wants you to kill the evil priest or kill the thief as revenge for the old man digging.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 08:02 PM
It's not just you, people just like to whine about one awkward scene and one mission where Connor herded pigs...they're generally good missions

Megas_Doux
05-04-2014, 08:09 PM
The Homestead missions really capture my feeling towards that game: love some, and hate some.

SixKeys
05-04-2014, 08:15 PM
It's not just you, people just like to whine about one awkward scene and one mission where Connor herded pigs...they're generally good missions

Oh yeah, I loved that one with the awkward controls where I have to separate Terry and Godfrey when they're fighting. Or how about chasing after Myriam when she escapes from her wedding and the chase just ends awkwardly mid-dialogue and in the next scene Connor is walking her down the isle? WTF happened there? Or the one where I had to follow Lance's apprentice in the city and ******* Lance keeps blowing my cover by derping around in plain sight? Or saving Big Dave from some redcoats and the mission ends before he even has time to explain why he was attacked? Or the one where Norris is too damn lazy to go pick some flowers for his crush, so he makes me climb a mountain, I get attacked by wolves and all I get as a reward is *****ing from Norris because "flowers was a stupid idea anyway"? Or how about walking around the Homestead at different times of day following one a-hole around for 24 hours so you can record his mundane life in some book that causes my game to crash whenever I try to read it? (Rinse and repeat for each of the, what, 20 people living there?) Yeah, great missions.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Oh yeah, I loved that one with the awkward controls where I have to separate Terry and Godfrey when they're fighting. Or how about chasing after Myriam when she escapes from her wedding and the chase just ends awkwardly mid-dialogue and in the next scene Connor is walking her down the isle? WTF happened there? Or the one where I had to follow Lance's apprentice in the city and ******* Lance keeps blowing my cover by derping around in plain sight? Or saving Big Dave from some redcoats and the mission ends before he even has time to explain why he was attacked? Or the one where Norris is too damn lazy to go pick some flowers for his crush, so he makes me climb a mountain, I get attacked by wolves and all I get as a reward is *****ing from Norris because "flowers was a stupid idea anyway"? Or how about walking around the Homestead at different times of day following one a-hole around for 24 hours so you can record his mundane life in some book that causes my game to crash whenever I try to read it? (Rinse and repeat for each of the, what, 20 people living there?) Yeah, great missions.
Cursing isn't really going to help your case at all, it just makes you seem passive aggressive over a game...calm down, it's just a game. Anyway, judging from our previous discussions regarding many aspects from AC3, it seems that you had a REALLY buggy experience and I'm sorry about that. For me, I never experienced any of these. Regarding the story of each mission, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree...and just for the record, I didnt say that all of the homestead missions were good.

SixKeys
05-04-2014, 08:32 PM
I tried to be calm, but just remembering those experiences brings out some pent-up rage. :p You said people only complain about the Homestead missions because of "one awkward scene" and that they're generally good. In my experience they were 85% terrible.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 08:38 PM
I tried to be calm, but just remembering those experiences brings out some pent-up rage. :p You said people only complain about the Homestead missions because of "one awkward scene" and that they're generally good. In my experience they were 85% terrible.
Yeah, I guess I understand pent up rage towards bugs :|. Well like I said, I haven't experienced all the bugs that you did and I'm sure those probably make up about 80% of the 85% of your bad experience. Because I never encountered those bugs, I consider most of them to be generally good missions....did I really need to add an IMO at the end of my post?

SixKeys
05-04-2014, 08:46 PM
It's not just the bugs, though that's a huge part of it. In general I found the Homestead people dull and underdeveloped. If they were people I genuinely cared about, I wouldn't mind performing inane tasks for them, but the Norris one for example just drives me up the wall. The guy has no imagination, so he asks Connor for his opinion on what girls like, then sends him to get flowers and then has the NERVE to complain when it's not what Myriam wants. I think he even threw the flowers to the ground. I so wished there was an option to punch innocents at that moment. I was nearly mauled by a freaking wolf for those flowers, and all I get in return is a "**** you man, these stupid flowers were your idea in the first place, so you're an idiot for getting them for my girlfriend". It could have been funny in a Red Dead Redemption way (like how Marston always got screwed over one way or another by the people he helped) if I didn't have the underlying feeling that they didn't mean for Norris to come off as an a-hole but genuinely meant for us to like him.

TheHumanTowel
05-04-2014, 09:30 PM
I know that feeling

Is that supposed to be funny? Because it's somehow even less funny than this cat thing you're trying to do.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 09:37 PM
It's not just the bugs, though that's a huge part of it. In general I found the Homestead people dull and underdeveloped. If they were people I genuinely cared about, I wouldn't mind performing inane tasks for them, but the Norris one for example just drives me up the wall. The guy has no imagination, so he asks Connor for his opinion on what girls like, then sends him to get flowers and then has the NERVE to complain when it's not what Myriam wants. I think he even threw the flowers to the ground. I so wished there was an option to punch innocents at that moment. I was nearly mauled by a freaking wolf for those flowers, and all I get in return is a "**** you man, these stupid flowers were your idea in the first place, so you're an idiot for getting them for my girlfriend". It could have been funny in a Red Dead Redemption way (like how Marston always got screwed over one way or another by the people he helped) if I didn't have the underlying feeling that they didn't mean for Norris to come off as an a-hole but genuinely meant for us to like him.
Again, we can agree to disagree about how interesting or uninteresting the homesteaders were but I think you're exaggerating with the Norris courting story. The story starts with Norris asking Connor what Myriam likes and Connor replies with saying he doesn't know...Norris says okay and goes back to work THEN Connor offers to find out what girls like so he asks Prudence. Connor gets the flowers and goes back to Norris, Norris feels that it's not right and then he tells Connor that Myriam didn't like the flowers and SHE tossed them aside, Connor replies again with offering to uncover what she likes himself.
Each time, Connor is the one who offers to help and Norris simply expresses doubt or disappointment in each endeavor and it's not because he's ungrateful to Connor. It wasn't THAT bad.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Is that supposed to be funny? Because it's somehow even less funny than this cat thing you're trying to do.
Don't vent your anger at your embarrassing loss to me on the poor cat.

Sushiglutton
05-04-2014, 09:42 PM

With arguments as strong as this:

Herding pigs involved involved running, running is a main system in AC. the wedding included parkour on trees, which is another main system of AC.

How could he possibly have won :rolleyes:?

TheHumanTowel
05-04-2014, 09:42 PM
You didn't see his incredibly creepy post about his mother groping him or something. I don't know if he thinks people think him acting creepy is funny but its just annoying.

Sushiglutton
05-04-2014, 09:44 PM
You didn't see his incredibly creepy post about his mother groping him or something. I don't know if he thinks people think him acting creepy is funny but its just annoying.

I agree with you on this as well. I also don't think it's funny how he asks all female posters to post pics of themselves. Don't think he means anything by it, but it's distasteful with the internet being what it is.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 09:46 PM
It's not THAT funny, no but still, if you give it a reaction, it'll continue.

With arguments as strong as this:

How could he possibly have won ?
Indeed. If I were him, I'd have never entered an argument with me.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 10:41 PM
I can just feel it....someone reading my great posts and itching...itching to reply to them....peasants wanting to contend with my greatness....they think they can thwart my arguments and prove that they're not having a double standard...I can sense you...your fingers itching for the "reply with quote" button. Do eeeeeet, peasant....DOOOO EEEEETTT

Shahkulu101
05-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Christ M you're more hollow and self-absorbed than I ever suspected you would be. Hope the game design works out for you, cause...

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Christ M you're more hollow and self-absorbed than I ever suspected you would be. Hope the game design works out for you, cause...
Jealous...Jealous mongrels surrounding me

SixKeys
05-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Let's not get into personal attacks or this thread will get shut down.

Shahkulu101
05-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Relax, I'm just trying to push buttons. I like Mohammed, he's a cool guy. And his posts are often amusing, like the one above.

All hail our Queen.

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Let's not get into personal attacks or this thread will get shut down.
Okay, since i'v nothing better to do with my life right now, I'll try and post on topic..

Assassination Contracts: This was started in AC II. so many of them involved scenarios where you just CAN'T be stealthy. It pit your targets ALLL together, gathered in one place. it was a combat scenario. some other contracts put constraints that needed you to go out of your way to pass the mission. The best contracts were the ones from Brotherhood and AC IV.

Tombs: Rehashed races. I liked the Secret locations in AC III more.

Towers/Plantations: the amount of glitches I encountered with the Borgia towers is appalling. The towers in ACR were better and the forts and plantations from AC III and AC IV are the best in terms of design and mechanics.

Naval Boarding: It was a lot of fun because of how each time boarding can have a very different experience from the other. there's more than one condition to clear the ships, various ways. use the gun, go through the sails, jump right into the action..etc

Delivery requests: Stupid...unless it's the courier missions in AC II, of course..those are godly...because it's AC II

Races: Timed parkour sequences.....and?

Upgrading villa: the reason I cut this into 2 is because I don't think the villa management and Homestead management are in any way shape or form comparable (I understand that there's nothing you can do about it, Sixkeys since the options are limited)...the homestead was a much MUCH better system, interactively and economically. The Villa management involved NOTHING but literally waiting for money to pile up as you only pushed a button to upgrade buildings...there was no interaction with the citizens and just no substance to the system at all.

Homestead management: a vibrant and dynamic economic stronghold, interaction with citizens and a whole story made for it. there's the mundane task here and there but hey, AC II had ribbons...oh oh wait, AC II is the best thing ever, right.

mini-games: Those were a nice distraction. offered a challenge that the main games themselves did not have.

Hunting: again, very different from harpooning. I liked hunting in AC III more than I did in AC IV. I liked the bow and arrow and the feeling of actually being a hunter.

Harpooning: it got repetitive but the variety in fish kept it alive enough.

Other: Hmm....What else is in AC II that I can drool about?

Relax, I'm just trying to push buttons. I like Mohammed, he's a cool guy. And his posts are often amusing, like the one above.

All hail our Queen.
aww, I love you too, Shafik

I-Like-Pie45
05-04-2014, 11:14 PM
How about beating up husbands?

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 11:19 PM
How about beating up husbands?
Oh those were the bestest. Random women telling a complete stranger to beat up their husbands....very convincing and organic. If I had a cheating husband, i'd totally air our dirty laundry to an armed to the teeth stranger walking about and tell him to go beat my husband up..

SixKeys
05-04-2014, 11:42 PM
I must be the only one who didn't have a problem with the beat-up missions. They weren't exactly prime content, but the same beat-up missions were in AC3 (fight club) and no-one ever seems to complain about those, even though they made just as little sense.

Ureh
05-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Races are pretty neat cause they test your ability to navigate the city, to identify the best route. From a story pov it kinda made sense cause Altair needed to show the novices who's the boss and to win their info. For some it was also a test to see if you're fit to join the Assassins (like in ACR). :p

Assassin_M
05-04-2014, 11:50 PM
they made just as little sense.
ohohohohoh, no no no no...this "Hey, you wanna join a tournament? beat all the top fighters. here're their names" makes more sense than "please beat the crap out of my husband because he's chaeting" they're both non-Assassin activities, and I don't dislike the ones in AC II because they're non-Assassin, but as i explained above, the husband beat up missions are absolutely ridiculous...

BATISTABUS
05-04-2014, 11:54 PM
at least they were better than AC II's beating up husbands
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Auguste_Oberlin
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Lanz

SixKeys
05-05-2014, 12:00 AM
ohohohohoh, no no no no...this "Hey, you wanna join a tournament? beat all the top fighters. here're their names" makes more sense than "please beat the crap out of my husband because he's chaeting" they're both non-Assassin activities, and I don't dislike the ones in AC II because they're non-Assassin, but as i explained above, the husband beat up missions are absolutely ridiculous...

How does it make any more sense from a character perspective? Ezio beat up cheating husbands because he didn't like seeing women treated like his little sister had been. Connor disliked violence in general. Why would he want to join a tournament where you beat people up for fun?

I-Like-Pie45
05-05-2014, 12:02 AM
cause have you looked at connor

he clearly is harboring stress he needs to vent in a civilized manner

BATISTABUS
05-05-2014, 12:04 AM
I must be the only one who didn't have a problem with the beat-up missions. They weren't exactly prime content, but the same beat-up missions were in AC3 (fight club) and no-one ever seems to complain about those, even though they made just as little sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxU54NeKZJo

Dat song, tho.

How does it make any more sense from a character perspective? Ezio beat up cheating husbands because he didn't like seeing women treated like his little sister had been. Connor disliked violence in general. Why would he want to join a tournament where you beat people up for fun?

Connor dislikes killing, but he is very confident in his abilities. He can be pretty arrogant at times. In Ezio's case, it makes sense for his character, but it's just so contrived. If it were just one mission that'd be totally fine IMO, but come on. We get it - he's knightly, he protects women, they love him, etc.

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Connor did not dislike violence, he only disliked killing...Corey described violence as Connor's way of venting against the bitterness of the world and the tragedy of his childhood, so it makes sense for him. What does not make sense in the husband missions is what I explained above.

Random women telling a complete stranger to beat up their husbands....very convincing and organic. If I had a cheating husband, i'd totally air our dirty laundry to an armed to the teeth stranger walking about and tell him to go beat my husband up..

It felt forced. Ezio knew NONE of these women and he had NO previous reputation as a Husband beater. he looks suspicious as heck and these women just come out of nowhere to enlist a stranger's help.

Now the Boston brawler missions, those are organic. You gain a reputation throughout the story about being a good fighter, a courier approaches you and tells you "Hey, ever heard of this club? wanna join? we're holed up at the north end of Boston" and then you go there, meet a guy and he says "Hey, we're holding a tournament for choosing the best fighter, wanna join?? here's a list with the names of all the best fighters, fight them and you'll be qualified" BAM BAM BAM, you fight and go back "START OF TOURNAMENT"
It has a clear structure and logical participation.

I don't dislike the idea of Ezio being a paragon or think that it does not make sense with his character or development..it made complete sense and it had potential but the structure of it was ridiculous and logic behind it was contrived.

Ureh
05-05-2014, 12:19 AM
Connor dislikes killing, but he is very confident in his abilities. He can be pretty arrogant at times. In Ezio's case, it makes sense for his character, but it's just so contrived. If it were just one mission that'd be totally fine IMO, but come on. We get it - he's knightly, he protects women, they love him, etc.

That's what I was thinking too! :]

I think we get that feeling when he says "Go, I'll meet you at our destination. I've gotta take care of dis bizness first." and "I'll send word of my success." and "There is no time, I'll have to take a direct approach. I'll expect an apology when I return." and maybe some other stuff too.

It felt forced. Ezio knew NONE of these women and he had NO previous reputation as a Husband beater. he looks suspicious as heck and these women just come out of nowhere to enlist a stranger's help.

It's true that they didn't know each other, but maybe the wives knew The Assassin on the posters was Ezio and the story probably spread that he helped his sister beat up Duccio in public. And he sorta has a reputation of a Robin Hood character. Iirc, one of them said "It's often said that you help the common folk...." So it kinda makes sense right? :)

SixKeys
05-05-2014, 12:27 AM

Dat song, tho.

One of the best tracks in the game. :)

Connor did not dislike violence, he only disliked killing...Corey described violence as Connor's way of venting against the bitterness of the world and the tragedy of his childhood, so it makes sense for him. What does not make sense in the husband missions is what I explained above.

Connor still doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would volunteer to beat people up for fun. It would have been better if they had been like the random ambush fights in ACB, where you've got no choice but to fight back. Or if it was like the Carnevale mission where you have to fight people in order to catch a certain Templar's attention. Connor does vent his anger in combat, but he's such a private person I can't imagine him seeking out violence without good reason.

I don't dislike the idea of Ezio being a paragon or think that it does not make sense with his character or development..it made complete sense and it had potential but the structure of it was ridiculous and logic behind it was contrived.

IMO they were both just as contrived. In Ezio's case I never imagined the women approached him but the other way around, similar to Ezio spotting the crying child in ACB and asking him what was wrong. The fight club owner in AC3 approaching Connor wasn't the contrived part but Connor accepting the invitation without any motivation. He always seemed like a much more focused guy than Ezio, why would he put his Templar-hunting to a halt just so he could go beat up some random citizen? Also worthy of note is that Connor was always the instigator of the fights. Most of the time these guys were just hanging out minding their own business when suddenly a big, tall Indian approaches them and punches them in the face. He didn't even say "hey, I'm here to challenge your title as the best fighter".

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 12:28 AM
It's true that they didn't know each other, but maybe the wives knew The Assassin on the posters was Ezio and the story probably spread that he helped his sister beat up Duccio in public. And he sorta has a reputation of a Robin Hood character. Iirc, one of them said "It's often said that you help the common folk...." So it kinda makes sense right? :)
how would they know Ezio, though? MAYBE the ones in Florence but the ones everywhere else?

Yeah, just ONE of them says that...everyone else is like "that cheating no good husband of mine, bring him home please"

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 12:38 AM
Connor still doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would volunteer to beat people up for fun. It would have been better if they had been like the random ambush fights in ACB, where you've got no choice but to fight back. Or if it was like the Carnevale mission where you have to fight people in order to catch a certain Templar's attention. Connor does vent his anger in combat, but he's such a private person I can't imagine him seeking out violence without good reason.
I'd say venting his anger is a good reason...not like he kills the guys anyways...it's like professional sports...I don't imagine ANY fighters of any type of violent actually like violence.

IMO they were both just as contrived. In Ezio's case I never imagined the women approached him but the other way around, similar to Ezio spotting the crying child in ACB and asking him what was wrong.
too much speculation...especially given the fact that the women are the ones calling for Ezio with their arms..

The fight club owner in AC3 approaching Connor wasn't the contrived part but Connor accepting the invitation without any motivation.
Like I said, Connor always seemed confident in his abilities...a professional tournament to prove his skill seems like a good enough reason...the whole thing was professional, even after beating the fighters, they'd admit defeat and give you proof of beating them. it was professional, just like professional violent sports nowadays.

He always seemed like a much more focused guy than Ezio, why would he put his Templar-hunting to a halt just so he could go beat up some random citizen?
That can go for EVERY side mission ever...why would he do ANYTHING other than the story then?? it's the nature of open world games...you can do it when you're done with the story, when all the Templars are dead.

Also worthy of note is that Connor was always the instigator of the fights. Most of the time these guys were just hanging out minding their own business when suddenly a big, tall Indian approaches them and punches them in the face. He didn't even say "hey, I'm here to challenge your title as the best fighter".
it'd be too mundane to include a dialogue at the start AND a dialogue at the end, after the fight they both sort of have a short convo about how Connor was the better fighter, so i didnt feel like it needed an engagement dialogue but i can cede to your point..strange, though since you don't complain about the lack of clearer context to Ezio approaching the women or the women approaching Ezio and happily take it as Ezio being the one approaching them without that being clear...also....how does Ezio know for a fact that these guys are cheating?? some of them are not even with other women...Ezio just goes up to them and beats the hell out of them...there're some DELUUUUSIONAL women out there

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-05-2014, 12:38 AM

I never knew he said that about his anger... Guess that makes it more justified then...

Dat song, tho.

Love this song lol

ze_topazio
05-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Connor is a violent person, typical Murican, he should be arrested and guillotined.

SixKeys
05-05-2014, 12:49 AM
it'd be too mundane to include a dialogue at the start AND a dialogue at the end, after the fight they both sort of have a short convo about how Connor was the better fighter, so i didnt feel like it needed an engagement dialogue but i can cede to your point..strange, though since you don't complain about the lack of clearer context to Ezio approaching the women or the women approaching Ezio and happily take it as Ezio being the one approaching them without that being clear

I don't know how many times I have to repeat this: both scenarios are equally contrived. I don't have a problem with the beat-up missions in either game. What I'm criticizing is that some people (including you) bring up the beat-up missions in AC2 as if they were exclusive to that game, but they're not. The way they're inserted into AC3 makes no more sense than AC2, so they're both guilty of having the same, equally silly mission type, but for some reason only AC2 gets accused.

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 01:02 AM
I don't know how many times I have to repeat this: both scenarios are equally contrived. I don't have a problem with the beat-up missions in either game. What I'm criticizing is that some people (including you) bring up the beat-up missions in AC2 as if they were exclusive to that game, but they're not. The way they're inserted into AC3 makes no more sense than AC2, so they're both guilty of having the same, equally silly mission type, but for some reason only AC2 gets accused.
and I don't know how many times I have to repeat that no, they're not....AC II has no context whatsoever to its beat up side missions. AC III does. how is that equally contrived?? All the context you base on the AC II beat up events is based on speculation, nothing else. The women may know Ezio, the news may have spread, I saw it as him approaching them like approaching the kid in ACB..it's all speculation and you not thinking that Connor would be up for such tournaments is based on YOUR view on Connor. The game has shown him to be a very confident person and Corey described his outlet to venting his anger being violence...it makes sense but YOU think it does not.

I didn't say that they were exclusive to AC II. I said why i think they're contrived and that they make no sense.

and ignoring all of that, you keep bringing up the fact that AC II is this poorly, little underdog being criticized by everyone when as a matter of fact, it's only ME who does the criticizing to AC II because there's BARELY any of it around here...people rip AC III apart and you don't want me to get on AC II's back for one side mission?? come now...you're doing the same thing you dislike about Connor fangirls...

SpiritOfNevaeh
05-05-2014, 01:05 AM
This side conversation:

http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/jon-stewart-popcorn11.gif

SixKeys
05-05-2014, 01:38 AM
and I don't know how many times I have to repeat that no, they're not....AC II has no context whatsoever to its beat up side missions. AC III does. how is that equally contrived?? All the context you base on the AC II beat up events is based on speculation, nothing else. The women may know Ezio, the news may have spread, I saw it as him approaching them like approaching the kid in ACB..it's all speculation and you not thinking that Connor would be up for such tournaments is based on YOUR view on Connor. The game has shown him to be a very confident person and Corey described his outlet to venting his anger being violence...it makes sense but YOU think it does not.

I didn't say that they were exclusive to AC II. I said why i think they're contrived and that they make no sense.

and ignoring all of that, you keep bringing up the fact that AC II is this poorly, little underdog being criticized by everyone when as a matter of fact, it's only ME who does the criticizing to AC II because there's BARELY any of it around here...people rip AC III apart and you don't want me to get on AC II's back for one side mission?? come now...you're doing the same thing you dislike about Connor fangirls...

LOL, when did I ever say AC2 was an underdog?? I am fully aware it's the most popular game in the series. I'm not defending it because I think it needs defending, all I'm saying is that if you're going to criticize a particular mission type in one game but not in another, that's pretty hypocritical. We can argue about the details - you think AC3's beat-up missions weren't as contrived as AC2's, I think they were - but the mission TYPE was exactly the same in both games. It's like if someone tried to claim "AC3 had that terrible mechanic where you go around recruiting assassins - now ACB, there's a great game, it had that awesome mechanic where you go around recruiting assassins!" I would criticize that opinion just as much.

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 02:07 AM
LOL, when did I ever say AC2 was an underdog??
You always seem to bring up that fact when you and I argue about anything AC II...of course, you don't go around saying that AC II is an underdog but you make it seem like criticizing AC II is widespread here..

all I'm saying is that if you're going to criticize a particular mission type in one game but not in another, that's pretty hypocritical. We can argue about the details - you think AC3's beat-up missions weren't as contrived as AC2's, I think they were - but the mission TYPE was exactly the same in both games.
I'm not criticizing the mission type. I love hand-to-hand combat, I said this numerous times in the posts above. I didnt have a problem with the fact that it was a beat up mission, I explained my problem.

It's like if someone tried to claim "AC3 had that terrible mechanic where you go around recruiting assassins - now ACB, there's a great game, it had that awesome mechanic where you go around recruiting assassins!" I would criticize that opinion just as much.
Sure and I would attest to your fairness but like I said, I'm not criticizing it because it's a beat up mission, i'm simply criticizing the implementation and lack of clearer context.

HDinHB
05-05-2014, 02:25 AM

The only one I really had a problem with was the one on the roof in Venice. Sometimes he would fall off the roof to the ground and die, and sometimes he would try to run away and fall and die, and sometimes he would fall of the roof into the water and drown and die. Apparently killing a cheating husband is considered a fail. I think it took me 4 times not to kill him.

SixKeys
05-05-2014, 03:06 AM
You always seem to bring up that fact when you and I argue about anything AC II...of course, you don't go around saying that AC II is an underdog but you make it seem like criticizing AC II is widespread here..

Not overall criticism of AC2, just some finer points like the aforementioned beat-up missions or Ezio's cliché-ness. Which I don't really have a problem with, no game is perfect. I just think it's interesting how we're all able to overlook some flaws about the games we like vs. the ones we don't, as demonstrated by my aforementioned point about feeling more of a disconnect with Connor's beat-up missions vs. Ezio's. I guess for me it comes down to the overall atmosphere of the game how much one particular aspect of it turns out to annoy me or not.

SixKeys
05-05-2014, 03:07 AM
The only one I really had a problem with was the one on the roof in Venice. Sometimes he would fall off the roof to the ground and die, and sometimes he would try to run away and fall and die, and sometimes he would fall of the roof into the water and drown and die. Apparently killing a cheating husband is considered a fail. I think it took me 4 times not to kill him.

I know what you mean. In the end I just made sure to keep his back against the railing on the wooden platform so he wouldn't fall off.

Assassin_M
05-05-2014, 03:12 AM
Not overall criticism of AC2, just some finer points like the aforementioned beat-up missions or Ezio's cliché-ness. Which I don't really have a problem with, no game is perfect. I just think it's interesting how we're all able to overlook some flaws about the games we like vs. the ones we don't, as demonstrated by my aforementioned point about feeling more of a disconnect with Connor's beat-up missions vs. Ezio's. I guess for me it comes down to the overall atmosphere of the game how much one particular aspect of it turns out to annoy me or not.
Not to mention the complete subjectivity of experiences, like the discussion we had about parkour in each city, remember? vast differences of experiences...

of course, a lot of things can seem more polished due to liking other elements in the game, as you said like the overall atmosphere...I'v experienced this myself..