PDA

View Full Version : Just finished Freedom Cry, my thoughts

Mae5tro975
05-01-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I just finished Freedom Cry and thought I'd offer my two cents.

I liked the tighter mission structure, having prerequisites to unlock them reminded me of the old Saints Row games where you had to reach a level of respect to unlock a new mission. A shorter mission structure with a ton of side-play worked greatly for The Lost and the Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony, you didn't get the repetition you sometimes got in the core GTA4, and if you did feel that TLAD or BOGT's campaigns were a bit thin, you could create your own adventures, and had all the more incentive to do so (especially in BGOT, where you could help your best buds build a drug empire, a subplot unto itself, and pick and choose which Tarantino-esque eccentrics you wanted to meet). And pretty much the entire map of GTA4's main campaign was available for both episodes.

FC's problem is that they didn't take a similar approach. They should've had Master Assassin style mission threads where you went after Manuel Mendoza, Dominique Jean, or Dakodonou (who had potential as a Shahkulu type figure). ***i Berko could've appeared in a capacity similar to Nicholas Biddle in AC3. You should've had the option to train a young Francois Mackandal as an apprentice. Instead of abandoned forts, you should've been able to build up more bases for the Maroons, occasionally defending them from the Colonial Marines if you piss off the French too much. And last but not least, they should've imported more of the map from AC4's core campaign, like TLAD and BGOT and GTA4. Augustin even says that once you got the ship, you're not cut off anymore.

I don't think we're going to get any more AC4 DLC, because they're working on Comet and Unity now. But if we do get any bonus island or mission packs, they should have it so they can be accessed on a Freedom Cry playthrough.

oliacr
05-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Agreed with that a DLC in the same place just on a smaller scale should be playable on the larger scale. At least for free-roam after you have completed it.

Locopells
05-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Thing is, this was clearly designed to be released as a standalone, so the whole map, with nothing to do in it, main mission wise, would have upped the amount of data needed to download for no real reason.