PDA

View Full Version : May have just lost my save with 200 medals, please help!

N2O1138
05-01-2014, 03:46 AM
I was getting sick of long load times on the garage and texture popping when resetting, so I used the program Steam Mover to move the game folder (NOT the save folder) to my SSD and make a symlink so Uplay could still find it. (I don't have the Steam version but this program works on any directory). I started up the game and saw that I had 0 progress, then closed it and my stomach dropped as it said it was trying to sync my progress. I moved the game back, started it up, and the same thing happened. I went to the save folder and saw what I think was a backup copy of the save, which was 103kb instead of the 1kb of my "new" save file. I renamed the "new" save file and named the larger file 1.save (then, like an idiot, I didn't make another copy of that). I started up the game, still no progress. Now I'm left with a file that's 104kb but still has no progress. I opened it with a hex editor and saw that it was almost entirely blank.

I fail to see the point of cloud saving if all it does is overwrite your progress in the event of you losing the local files. I also don't understand why it didn't take kindly to being symlinked.

I had exactly 200 medals and a lot of the challenges and was level 86, and as a stressed student who plays Trials in my downtime, I REALLY don't want to have to start over again (I had done almost everything in the beta and lost that progress, despite making a backup of that save file.)

At the least, can someone explain how the cloud saving works and how the files are associated with your account? I realize I can't just ask for anyone's save file because there's some sort of association within Uplay, but maybe if I'm lucky someone from Ubisoft could either find my file on the cloud server or edit a file to have all the levels unlocked and be associated with my account. For proof, I would imagine my times are all on the leaderboards, and even if not I kept track of them in a spreadsheet.

Bottom Line: Is there any hope, or do I really have to get all my platinum medals and difficult challenges and money and xp all over again? I really really really don't want to spend my limited time unlocking everything again when I could have spent it trying to get new records on Skill Games and improving my Extreme tracks.

N2O1138
05-03-2014, 03:46 AM
Anyone?

I've been waiting to play again in the hope that it might somehow be recoverable. If I hear for sure that it's not I'll start playing through the game again. Am I correct that I should just disable the cloud saving this time?

En0-
05-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Hello N2O1138,

Yes, I think you're right. It will be safer and quicker to do again with cloud saving disabled.

Thank you,