PDA

View Full Version : Max Payne 2 - sorry it's way off topic, but

choxaway
02-27-2004, 04:01 AM
Please excuse my using this forum for a totally unrelated subject but I cannot resolve this issue with any of the official MP2 sites since most seem unavailable or just don't deal with the specific problem for some reason. Since most of this community seems experienced in all manner of game entertainment, I wonder if any of you could help or offer a pointer in the right direction.

Max Payne 2 plays fine on my old system (1.4AMD/98se/GF3Ti200/SBLive/384sdram) but won't run for longer than a few minutes on my new rig (2.3AMD/XPhome/9800Pro/Raid onboard Soundstorm/1gb.DDR) before booting me out.
I read on the MP2 official site's help page that there are issues with early onboard soundcards, but mine isn't one of those.

Most of my time is spent flying but occasionally a bit of 1st person blasting is good for tension relief and the graphics in MP2 are impressive. The 9800 Pro ran it beautifully for a few minutes - all those wonderful reflections in puddles and mirrors that the Ti200 can't offer, but then it was gone.
Call of Duty tends to boot me out after a while as well. Forgotten Battles is beautiful, though, and runs perfectly.

The new rig was set up specifically for gaming, leaving my old system for business and photography work, but currently only FB is working as it should and I'm having to leave MP2 etc still installed on the old system,if I want to play them, which is taking up valuable space.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and my apologies again for being way off the normal subject matter.

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v30/choxaway/IL2FB/6c05075b.gif

choxaway
02-27-2004, 04:01 AM
Please excuse my using this forum for a totally unrelated subject but I cannot resolve this issue with any of the official MP2 sites since most seem unavailable or just don't deal with the specific problem for some reason. Since most of this community seems experienced in all manner of game entertainment, I wonder if any of you could help or offer a pointer in the right direction.

Max Payne 2 plays fine on my old system (1.4AMD/98se/GF3Ti200/SBLive/384sdram) but won't run for longer than a few minutes on my new rig (2.3AMD/XPhome/9800Pro/Raid onboard Soundstorm/1gb.DDR) before booting me out.
I read on the MP2 official site's help page that there are issues with early onboard soundcards, but mine isn't one of those.

Most of my time is spent flying but occasionally a bit of 1st person blasting is good for tension relief and the graphics in MP2 are impressive. The 9800 Pro ran it beautifully for a few minutes - all those wonderful reflections in puddles and mirrors that the Ti200 can't offer, but then it was gone.
Call of Duty tends to boot me out after a while as well. Forgotten Battles is beautiful, though, and runs perfectly.

The new rig was set up specifically for gaming, leaving my old system for business and photography work, but currently only FB is working as it should and I'm having to leave MP2 etc still installed on the old system,if I want to play them, which is taking up valuable space.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and my apologies again for being way off the normal subject matter.

Red_Storm
02-27-2004, 04:52 AM
do you mean a full reboot or just a kick back to the desktop?

tsisqua
02-27-2004, 06:14 AM
Believe me, I understand your frustration. Give this a try, you may have a problem with your DDR Ram.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

You have to put this on a floppy (the instructions are at the site) and reboot the machine to do the diag. If this isn't the problem, you may have an issue with the graphics card's memory . . . FB doesn't seem to utilize the ram in the same way that other games do. It certainly is intensive, and yes it requires a lot of resources, but it is very cpu dependent, which may explain FB not crashing when everything else does. You have an awesome machine there!

Good luck, Sir.

Tsisqua

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/tsisqua-nedChristie.jpg
Tsalagi Asgaya Galvladi

Destraex
02-27-2004, 06:36 AM
with ATI its always drivers

choxaway
02-27-2004, 06:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red_Storm:
do you mean a full reboot or just a kick back to the desktop?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Red_storm,

Just back to desktop with the message to the effect of "Sorry Ati encountered a problem,we apologise for the inconvenience . . . please send a report to M/Soft etc etc"

I had this message previously with FB after first buying the rig, when I had an overheating issue - we installed a bunch of fans and that problem went away.

I wondered if the 'Ati' reference signifies it's a graphics card issue rather than anything else - or is that a standard XP windows message?Just guessing, on my part, as I'm still getting used to XP after 98se.

Hi tsisqua,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll also try the memory diagnostic tool.

Just d/loaded the mem.diag. tool and followed all the start-up disc instructions by inserting the floppy in prior to rebooting, but absolutely nothing happens thereafter. Just starts up Windows as usual, nothing else. No interface panel as described in the blurb.

[This message was edited by choxaway on Fri February 27 2004 at 06:05 AM.]