PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Movie Director Chosen

Shahkulu101
04-29-2014, 08:31 PM
"Michael Fassbender will reportedly re-team with his MacBeth director Justin Kurzel for Assassin's Creed: The Movie."

Read more: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/29/michael-fassbenders-macbeth-director-to-helm-assassins-creed-movie

Never heard of him.

SixKeys
04-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Source?

Shahkulu101
04-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Source?

Done - sorry.

GunnerGalactico
04-29-2014, 08:38 PM
For some reason, I'm not really thrilled about the idea of AC being made into a movie.

DumbGamerTag94
04-29-2014, 08:55 PM
For some reason, I'm not really thrilled about the idea of AC being made into a movie.

^^^this^^^

I have been a fan of the series since AC1 came out and I am not excited for this at all I probably won't even bother watching it

cawatrooper9
04-29-2014, 09:04 PM
It's another person that I'm not familiar with, but hey, at least it's not Michael "Desecrator of Childhoods" Bay.

marvelfannumber
04-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Yay another cash-in video game movie that is gonna end up being garbage, just like every other video game movie. Such excitement!

murphdawg1
04-29-2014, 09:48 PM
I think an AC movie is certainly an interesting concept. Will the script be based off of the games, who will be cast as the main Assassin, will there be any modern day story to it, will it be mostly live action or CG?

cawatrooper9
04-29-2014, 09:56 PM
I think an AC movie is certainly an interesting concept. Will the script be based off of the games, who will be cast as the main Assassin, will there be any modern day story to it, will it be mostly live action or CG?

Last week, there was a rumor going around that the movie would be only about the modern storyline (not necessarily Desmond though) and was compared to dramas like "The Da Vinci Code".

I really hope they don't end up doing that.

DomdudeDaGreat
04-29-2014, 10:12 PM
It's another person that I'm not familiar with, but hey, at least it's not Michael "Desecrator of Childhoods" Bay.

If Michael Bay was announced as director of an AC Movie I think I would shoot myself

STDlyMcStudpants
04-29-2014, 11:02 PM
This could actually be pretty awesome... as long as it isnt corny like lineage lol
Meaning I want more story than action.... .

SixKeys
04-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Last week, there was a rumor going around that the movie would be only about the modern storyline (not necessarily Desmond though) and was compared to dramas like "The Da Vinci Code".

I highly doubt they would. Even to non-gamers the AC brand is most recognized for the historical tourism aspect. Only a handful of fans care about modern day in the games.

murphdawg1
04-30-2014, 12:12 AM

I suppose they could have a modern day character similar to Desmond who goes into the Animus and then someone else would play the historical Assassin.

Locopells
04-30-2014, 12:19 AM
If we're gonna have another 'video games movies are crap' thread, can we at least differentiate between bad films, and bad adaptation of the source material? I like a lot of VG films, as harmless pastimes (and in some cases, only bad if you're dumb enough to take them too seriously...looking at you, critics...) even though I know they don't always respect their origins.

poptartz20
04-30-2014, 12:34 AM
woah.. that sig. :|

but on topic. I don't really feel one way or the other about this movie. Movie adaptations of video games never really turn out all that great anyways. I'll go see it but I do wonder what it will be about, or and if it will be based off one of the video games or will it be it's own separate plot? eh. I guess time will tell.

Kaschra
04-30-2014, 12:56 AM
They chose a pretty unknown director, interesting choice. I don't know if that's good or bad. I guess we'll see about that.

SixKeys
04-30-2014, 02:34 AM
If we're gonna have another 'video games movies are crap' thread, can we at least differentiate between bad films, and bad adaptation of the source material? I like a lot of VG films, as harmless pastimes (and in some cases, only bad if you're dumb enough to take them too seriously...looking at you, critics...) even though I know they don't always respect their origins.

I can't think of a single good movie based on a video game. A couple of passable ones, maybe, but good? Nah.

Gin0r
04-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Iím as sceptical as nearly everyone else. But normally the game studios are not involved in the development of the movie and as far as I understand it, Ubi seems to have a lot more control about the AC movie than is usual, so there is a glimmer of hope...

Also, if the director gets MacBeth right (IMDB says itís not even out yet) he might be just the right person for an AC historical drama... I mean, címon, MacBeth: Murder! Intrigue! Conspiracy! And even a supernatural aspect with the witches.

Locopells
04-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Another article:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a567743/michael-fassbenders-assassins-creed-adaptation-signs-director.html?rss#~oCUSxvCU4Rr0E2

pirate1802
04-30-2014, 02:15 PM

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if the decide to do that.

cawatrooper9
04-30-2014, 02:35 PM

Yeah, I think it's important to recognize the difference between movies like Silent Hill (never stood a chance at the Academy, but it can be a fun movie if you take it for what it is) and that godawful Mario movie.

Markaccus
04-30-2014, 02:44 PM
I understand the negative preconceptions over this. I am old enough to remember Mortal Kombat and Streetfighter hitting the big screen. However, AC games are more of an interactive story in comparison to previous candidates. I even think that simply making a film, or series of films, based on the whole Desmond quintilogy(??) would be decent action adventure movies. (keeping out-of-animus moments to a minimum). If i there was going to be a cinematic version of Ezio hurling Cesare Borgia off that wall, i would be first in line. I genuinely enjoyed killing that sick Bar steward! I will be 37 this year so i am getting too old to be this enthusiastic about games, but everyone knows men never truly grow up :D

ze_topazio
04-30-2014, 04:14 PM
This can work if they make a brand new story instead of trying to adapt the games story, they could use one of the previous subjects and the ancestor should be brand new, they could use some periods that most likely will never be used by the games like WW2, American civil war, Wild west, etc...

In an ideal world they would make a tv series instead.

RinoTheBouncer
05-01-2014, 04:27 PM
I’m not overly excited but I will definitely watch it and demand sequels. Feel free to judge me, but I ADORE the Resident Evil film franchise. Yes, it has nothing to do with the games’ stories, atmosphere and style and Alice is a bit farfetched with her abilities but I enjoyed it as it is. I enjoyed every single film and I hope they keep making more because so far, it’s been doing great, financially and I think if other people hate it, they shouldn’t demand ending the franchise when they can simply ignore it.

I just hope that they won’t be using actors who do not look like AC characters and force us to believe them. For example Michael Fassbender looks nowhere near Desmond, Altair or Ezio so he better be just a director or perhaps a substitute for doctor Warren Vidic, that if they’re planning to redo the stories of the games and bring back the characters instead of creating a new story with new characters.

What worries me is that there hasn’t been anything official about the movie nor proper promotion, so far. I know it’s early but most movies get promoted with at least a teaser or a poster a year before, at least the big movies which I assume and hope that AC is one of them.

I-Like-Pie45
05-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Why not have Fassbender in dual roles that celebrate his German-Irish heritage? :)

One for history, one for modern day

That way, Fassbender can play himself playing his ancestor

Mr.GoodKall
05-01-2014, 05:11 PM
I would love to see a AC movie, however, it has to be legit. I don't want this to be made by some 3rd party studio that will have horrible actors. I want 20th century FOX, Warner Bros, SONY pictures, Paramount or Universal. Any of them make the movie, and it will be a top seller. Anyone else is probably not worth seeing. Assassins creed is a great script and I hate for someone to F it up.

SixKeys
05-01-2014, 06:54 PM
I would love to see a AC movie, however, it has to be legit. I don't want this to be made by some 3rd party studio that will have horrible actors. I want 20th century FOX, Warner Bros, SONY pictures, Paramount or Universal. Any of them make the movie, and it will be a top seller. Anyone else is probably not worth seeing. Assassins creed is a great script and I hate for someone to F it up.

20th Century Fox is making it together with Ubisoft. A big studio doesn't guarantee a good adaptation though. Just look at....well, every video game movie made so far.

LionHeart XXII
05-01-2014, 07:15 PM
I actually have really high hopes for this movie! The problem I think most video game adaptations is that a film studio takes it over and hollywoods it up, but I know that Ubisoft is actually trying to maintain control over much of this film, that is what keeps me hopeful. When looking back through out the AC franchise, the games have become more cinematic with each iteration and I think that plays well with a film adaptation. Plus, Michael Fassbender is a great actor and I think no matter what direction they decide to go, whether it be a redone version of the games or a completely new story, he will do a great job. All that being said, even though I have been an AC fan since the beginning starting with AC1, I am by no means a purists and really enjoy when people and directors take things and ideas that have been established and re-imagine them in new and creative ways....as long as it is done with respect

lothario-da-be
05-01-2014, 08:38 PM
The more I hear about the movie the less confidence I have in it. Am I the only one? The uncertainty of the qualty of it kills the hype.

SixKeys
05-01-2014, 09:26 PM
The only thing I'm worried about is that they'll have Fassbender play AltaÔr, in which case I'll have to boycott the movie.

GunnerGalactico
05-01-2014, 09:33 PM
The only thing I'm worried about is that they'll have Fassbender play AltaÔr, in which case I'll have to boycott the movie.

If Fassbender is playing Altair... that movie is going to be a huge flop already. I just know it. :(

lothario-da-be
05-01-2014, 09:35 PM
I don't think they will make an ac1 movie, thats not casual enough.

SixKeys
05-01-2014, 09:38 PM
I don't think they will make an ac1 movie, thats not casual enough.

They kind of have to if they want to move on to Ezio (since their stories are linked). Just because the first game was repetitive and slow doesn't mean the movie has to be.

lothario-da-be
05-01-2014, 09:46 PM
They kind of have to if they want to move on to Ezio (since their stories are linked). Just because the first game was repetitive and slow doesn't mean the movie has to be.
I think they make a totaly new story, linking it to the games would be hard to follow for non ac players.

GunnerGalactico
05-01-2014, 09:52 PM
They might weave their own story, but they will use the gist of AC1. Non AC players would make sense of the story regardless if they played the game or not. It is the AC fans that are going to be the tough critics.

SixKeys
05-01-2014, 10:23 PM
I think they make a totaly new story, linking it to the games would be hard to follow for non ac players.

I hope so. Going with an entirely new protagonist would be the best IMO. Maybe even go to a time before AltaÔr when there isn't so much lore to explain.

I-Like-Pie45
05-02-2014, 12:39 AM
How about World War II? ;)

Or maybe we could have Fass***** play a white guy in Japan bc those movies are really successful critic- and audience- wise.

IWGCJoeCool
05-02-2014, 02:39 AM
clicked into the thread, hoping for some real news. Fassbender is a capable actor, and i dont think he's yet had the opportunity to do his best. figuring a movie from a video game would garner at best, an A- star/actor, they might be getting alot more with him. as for the story and hero, why not a compilation of the Desmond story? sure, we know(well durn 99.99999% sure) he's dead, it doesnt matter...many great/popular books are made into film, and we know in advance how the story goes. i guess, we havent even considered that a film adaptation would be a multi-film undertaking or a trilogy. jeeeeziz, they are sucking three out of the Hobbit as we speak.

anyway, i wish they would get on with it, the IMDB page hasnt changed in as long as i can remember, save for the update on 4/7 about a rewrite.

I-Like-Pie45
05-02-2014, 05:07 AM
Everyone knows that AC could never beat the best video game movie of all time regardless of who's in it, who's directing, and what the story is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Psls1ngwM

Markaccus
05-02-2014, 09:58 AM
clicked into the thread, hoping for some real news. Fassbender is a capable actor, and i dont think he's yet had the opportunity to do his best. figuring a movie from a video game would garner at best, an A- star/actor, they might be getting alot more with him. as for the story and hero, why not a compilation of the Desmond story? sure, we know(well durn 99.99999% sure) he's dead, it doesnt matter...many great/popular books are made into film, and we know in advance how the story goes. i guess, we havent even considered that a film adaptation would be a multi-film undertaking or a trilogy. jeeeeziz, they are sucking three out of the Hobbit as we speak.

anyway, i wish they would get on with it, the IMDB page hasnt changed in as long as i can remember, save for the update on 4/7 about a rewrite.

I hope he WAS dead! Especially since Abstergo cut him up and made him into "samples" ! :D

Locopells
05-02-2014, 03:05 PM
jeeeeziz, they are sucking three out of The Hobbit as we speak.

Well to be fair, The Hobbit, plus the mass of writings Tolkien left out, in order to make it a kids book (and other supporting stuff he wrote)...

I-Like-Pie45
05-02-2014, 03:13 PM
thats not an excuse

RinoTheBouncer
05-04-2014, 09:52 AM
I hope the movie will focus more on the Modern Day story. I mean, it would be amazing to final see that part flourish. The Assassins and Templars have existed since the dawn of humanity and they still exist, so it doesn’t really have to be limited between 1200 to 1800.

In any case, I hope the film will be more like The Hunger Games. A long, detailed, high budgeted film. Not just some awesome effects and recognizable characters and locations.

IWGCJoeCool
05-05-2014, 01:25 AM
I hope the movie will focus more on the Modern Day story. I mean, it would be amazing to final see that part flourish. The Assassins and Templars have existed since the dawn of humanity and they still exist, so it doesnít really have to be limited between 1200 to 1800.

In any case, I hope the film will be more like The Hunger Games. A long, detailed, high budgeted film. Not just some awesome effects and recognizable characters and locations.

you bring up a good point...what if it played more as a modern day thriller, all the animus stuff in information Abstergo gathered would be the McGuffin, and modern Templars and Assassins providing all the drama and action to get "it". animus activity could be reduced to 15 minutes.

RinoTheBouncer
05-05-2014, 09:03 AM
you bring up a good point...what if it played more as a modern day thriller, all the animus stuff in information Abstergo gathered would be the McGuffin, and modern Templars and Assassins providing all the drama and action to get "it". animus activity could be reduced to 15 minutes.

Thank you. I’ve always thought AC should go beyond the expectations of AC=History. It could be any period. They spent the whole time in the first 5 games, convincing us that the Assassins and Templars have existence since the dawn of man until this very moment, so why focus on 1200-1800 only while other periods get half-as*ed comics and web stories? And even if people do want a historical setting in the film, they can pull a Hunger Games move, with a movie that is 2 and a half hours long, they can make the first hour all in modern day, while the rest is historical like how they spent half the movie preparing for the Hunger Games and the rest was actually in the games, or it could be the other way around.

MiguelSanch2014
05-06-2014, 05:34 AM
I'm unbelievably UNkeen for this.

I mean I heart AC like it were my own child. I've wanted a movie since AC1.

However THIS movie that seems to be coming together, just purely reeks of Hollywood cashgrab / more money than sense and that entire shebang. It's bound to be another game movie failure, by pure casting alone.

I'm sure we all love Fassbender. He's freaking epic.

He's no Altair, though. Not even close.

I-Like-Pie45
05-07-2014, 06:06 AM
I would've selected Andrew Dominik myself to direct

Although this means that Fassbender would be replaced by Brad Pitt cuz Dominik loves himself some Mr. Pitty

pacmanate
05-07-2014, 09:11 AM
If Michael Bay was announced as director of an AC Movie I think I would shoot myself

Every time someone dies they would have to explode, naturally.

Then again, It would probably be better than this garbage to be film :)

Aphex_Tim
05-07-2014, 09:33 AM

Be glad it didn't turn out to be Uwe Boll....