PDA

View Full Version : Petition: Please make English language available for all!

EVA Spartan 317
04-29-2014, 04:33 PM
I've posted similar threads before because of the same reason. Since 2012 Ubisoft's big titles are being translated by regions! First it looked a good idea, mostly for Ubisoft because it could have sold more copies! And it did....
And now I see that the next big title, Watch Dogs is getting translation but I fear it will suffer from the same mistakes as the AC games!
The problem is that the translations are poorly implemented and cannot switch the language/subtitles to the original, English!
I know that most of you here on these forums are not effected by it and some of you know nothing about this problem but still, we are still part of the community!
So I ask you in the name of many loyal AC fans... Please make the English language a basic option for subtitle language!

LoyalACFan
04-29-2014, 05:09 PM
loyal AC fan

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTy0v0hza0JcAGnOZV2OajPloFSetZF7 UqbGPvCM_9tVHEUdL5QRm6iXwp7

Kidding, but yeah, I can get behind this. I remember in a lot of older games (like PS2 era) they would ask what language you preferred before you even created a save file. That would probably be ideal, though obviously they'd need more options than English, Francois, and Espanol.

EVA Spartan 317
04-29-2014, 06:43 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTy0v0hza0JcAGnOZV2OajPloFSetZF7 UqbGPvCM_9tVHEUdL5QRm6iXwp7

Kidding, but yeah, I can get behind this. I remember in a lot of older games (like PS2 era) they would ask what language you preferred before you even created a save file. That would probably be ideal, though obviously they'd need more options than English, Francois, and Espanol.

The situationnis the following: my region unfortunetly is the russian which means I can only use russian, polish, hungarian language! What I want to say is to have English language in every region even if there isn't any English speaking countries there!

Oh yeah, when I tiped I stopped for a moment! lol but I wasn't referring you, if I were I would have been with big letters!

LoyalACFan
04-29-2014, 08:20 PM
The situationnis the following: my region unfortunetly is the russian which means I can only use russian, polish, hungarian language! What I want to say is to have English language in every region even if there isn't any English speaking countries there!

Yeah, that's kind of messed up... If they're already going to create dubs for every major language, they might as well include them with every copy of the game (or at the very least offer language packs as free DLC). I can understand setting the default language to the native one (for example, if you're from Russia the default language would be Russian) but not having the option to change it back to English sucks.

SixKeys
04-29-2014, 08:33 PM
I support this. I was recently sent a Ubisoft survey about localization, so it seems like they're becoming increasingly interested in translating their games for each region. Given that most translations suck, there should always be an option to play the game in the original English.

EVA Spartan 317
04-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Yeah, that's kind of messed up... If they're already going to create dubs for every major language, they might as well include them with every copy of the game or at the very least offer language packs as free DLC
That's a very good idea! Thanks! The problem is not only with dubs but with the subtitles too!

deskp
04-30-2014, 01:58 PM
That's a very good idea! Thanks! The problem is not only with dubs but with the subtitles too!

Isn't the idea they use the language you have set the console to?

EVA Spartan 317
04-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Yeah, that would be the best option! Now, when you set your console to USA or UK the russian copy of the game changes to russian automatically! It can only be changed to languages that are in the region your copy is from!

Markaccus
04-30-2014, 03:21 PM
Its strange that this is a problem, given that (according to ac game credits) ubi employ people from the regions to develop the games. You would think they would also employ translators who could do it accurately, instead of "requiescat in pace" being translated to "sleep in pieces" or some othe such stupidness :D

EVA Spartan 317
04-30-2014, 08:37 PM
Its strange that this is a problem, given that (according to ac game credits) ubi employ people from the regions to develop the games. You would think they would also employ translators who could do it accurately, instead of "requiescat in pace" being translated to "sleep in pieces" or some othe such stupidness :D

I know that Ubi just employ companies from the specific countries, but I would from them to send a copy to some testers or sg to test it!
And yes there are very stupid translations! Sometimes it's like they translated it only by hearing or using the Google translator!

HercRembrandt
05-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Is this an Ubisoft thing or an Xbox thing, though? My most recent Ubi games have been on PS, and they didn't force regional language on me. On the other hand, I have a couple of MS-published games for the 360, like Halo 4, that just ignore the language setting (English) on the console and force their bad (and incomplete) translations on me. Luckily not audio, since there's presumably no audio localization for my neck of the woods. Still, it's very annoying.

No matter who's responsible, I certainly fully support the ability to play the game you buy in the language of your choice, wherever you happen to live. It's not like we're asking them to expend any resources on making new stuff. Those English language versions already exist, after all.

EVA Spartan 317
05-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Is this an Ubisoft thing or an Xbox thing, though? My most recent Ubi games have been on PS, and they didn't force regional language on me. On the other hand, I have a couple of MS-published games for the 360, like Halo 4, that just ignore the language setting (English) on the console and force their bad (and incomplete) translations on me. Luckily not audio, since there's presumably no audio localization for my neck of the woods. Still, it's very annoying.

No matter who's responsible, I certainly fully support the ability to play the game you buy in the language of your choice, wherever you happen to live. It's not like we're asking them to expend any resources on making new stuff. Those English language versions already exist, after all.

As far as I know in my region both consoles have this kind of translation! But that's interesting what you say about Halo 4, I didn't even know that Halo 4 is translated to any language! Btw which country do you live in?
Yeah, I don't even understand Ubi! Why dont they include the basic language version if that's the first and do not require any work?
And thank you for supporting my ideas!

RavenousTapeworm
11-02-2014, 02:27 PM
I cannot support this enough. I'm from Poland, but I know english quite well and I always go for english version of the game. I purchased special edition of Assassin's Creed III only to find that there's no english version on my copy, and the translation was atrocious.

Can someone from Ubisoft verify what language options will be available for AC Unity released in Poland?

RinoTheBouncer
11-02-2014, 03:01 PM
So what I get from this is that localized versions are fixed on one language? I thought English voice overs and soundtracks are always the norm of each game. If not, then that’s really terrible cause a lot of us enjoy playing the games the way they’re originally meant to sound like.

RavenousTapeworm
11-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Polish version of AC III had 4 languages: Polish, Russian, Hungarian and if I recall correctly Ukrainian. Only option for English was the dialogues, subtitles and menus were in selected language (Polish in my case). In order to understand the dialogue between the Indians you have to have the subtitles on. I can't say anything about translation of those bits, but when I heard the english dialogue and read the subtitles... the ammount of mistakes was staggering. The menus and all the texts were in Polish as well, and this was the worst part - sometimes I could not understand texts that supposedly were in my native language.
I took no chances and bought AC IV Black Flag that was from Western Europe. I'd rather not do that again with Unity, as buying a new game (especially limited edition) from another country tends to be a rather expensive affair.

Alphacos007
11-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Usually the Russian version of any game does not support english to stop people that aren't from Russia or nearby region from buying it, because it's way cheaper than in the US or Europe in general. As far as I know, everywhere else has all languages available. At least for me, the game comes with German set as default, but you just go to the menu and change it to anything else.

DSafrin
11-02-2014, 09:23 PM
I cannot support this enough. I'm from Poland, but I know english quite well and I always go for english version of the game. I purchased special edition of Assassin's Creed III only to find that there's no english version on my copy, and the translation was atrocious.

Can someone from Ubisoft verify what language options will be available for AC Unity released in Poland?

THIS.
I'm from Poland as well. I got two copies of AC4: one was from Black Chest edition for PS3 (and had no Polish whatsoever since that was the only edition which was not regionalized), then I got digital upgrade for PS4 which was available only in Polish...
the thing is - regionalized version DOES have original audio and we can put on English subtitles (which is great!), but it is NOT possible to change menu and everything else that appears on screen to English. This makes it really weird to play when you want to play a game in English, but for example letter (collectibles) are only available in Polish, since they're somewhere in the menu (which can't be changed to English).

I'd really love if they'd include English as an option in every copy of the game, regardless of the region.