PDA

View Full Version : Request/Idea - Hotter in the Pacific

Waldo.Pepper
04-17-2004, 05:24 PM
I know its too early to start making requests - but... it is considerably hotter in the pacific and I sure would love to be able to fly with my canopy open.

Looks cooler too!

Waldo.Pepper
04-17-2004, 05:24 PM
I know its too early to start making requests - but... it is considerably hotter in the pacific and I sure would love to be able to fly with my canopy open.

Looks cooler too!

Rudee37
04-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Pappy Boyington would often open and close his canopy to discard his lit cigarette prior to enemy engagement. It was this visual clue that gave his section members the warning that things were about to happen.

Another thing about Boyington... he often rigged the controls so that he could take a nap during long flights. Thus rest assured his canopy would be closed and the seat lowered for maximum comfort.

aero6
04-17-2004, 10:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Another thing about Boyington... he often rigged the controls so that he could take a nap during long flights. Thus rest assured his canopy would be closed and the seat lowered for maximum comfort <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

?????

Really??

VF-3Thunderboy
04-17-2004, 11:02 PM
Close to his last flight, he slowed his Plane/squad down to (90KTs) and had to get out of his seat, to wipe off the OIL from his
F4U- 1a's windscreen, while flying at altitude. (Every one else was flying the D)

This would make a great movie. Too bad the commie/millionair-anti-Americans run Hollyweed.

The book is probably at your library. Baa-Baa Blacksheep.Or on Amazon for a buck or two! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Rudee37
04-17-2004, 11:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aero6:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Another thing about Boyington... he often rigged the controls so that he could take a nap during long flights. Thus rest assured his canopy would be closed and the seat lowered for maximum comfort <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

?????

Really??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, he tells about in his book. The thing is, that's not the craziest thing he did while serving in the USMC. Among other things, he occasionally flew barefoot or with a pair of sandals. Scrambles at the base made for entertainment as Boyington often stumbled in a drunken stupor to get to his aircraft. But once he was in the air, he was good old "Gramps".

Waldo.Pepper
04-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Boyington made a career out of embelishing his tales. Me thinks he would not have had to 'rig' anything. Didn't the Corsair have an autopilot?

PlaneEater
04-18-2004, 05:32 AM
The later ones did, I think. I would be surprised if the 1D didn't have something resembling one.

Dunno about Lulubelle or the 1A.

Chuck_Older
04-18-2004, 05:49 AM
Here is a great, TRUE story about Boyington.

When the TV show, "Black Sheep Squadron" was being filmed, Boyington was a technical advisor, did you know that?

Robert Conrad, the actor who portrayed Boyington, was of course in contact with Boyington often. Now bear in mind this story comes from Bob Conrad in an interview, not the late Mr. Boyington's memory!

One day, Boyington and Conrad went for a short walk down the 'runway' on set together. Boyington turned to Conrad and said,
"Conrad, I sure wish you'd been with us back then"

Bob Conrad brightens up and says, "..Really? It would have been a honor to fly with you"

Boyington scowls a bit and says,
"Not to fly with. I would have liked to kick your butt. You're an arrogant SOB": http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
~ Clash