PDA

View Full Version : Master's Dissertation on Assassin's Creed- Help and input needed!

Aisoreal
04-29-2014, 09:34 AM
Hi guys,

A newbie at the forum here!

So, I need help from you seasoned Assassin's Creed players out there. I play Assassin's Creed myself (though only 1 and 2) and am currently planning to do my Masters dissertation on this topic:

"Cross-cultural perspectives on the ideologies of peace, conflict and justice between players of Assassin's Creed"

(NOTE: I'm just focusing on the first game)

I've talked to my supervisor about this, and although she is highly enthusiastic about my doing this topic, she is concerned that the scope is too big and there are too many variables to control (she even considers this PhD level, not Masters). I have tried thinking about possible ways of narrowing down my scope, and although there are various ways I can still run with Assassin's Creed, I am still very much interested in researching the topic above. Basically, here's the rundown of what I want to know/plan to do:

1. Do players of different cultural/religious backgrounds have certain preferences for the various ideologies presented in AC? (Assassin's Order vs. Templar Order)
2.Why? Is their choice related to:
- cultural/religious upbringing?
- personal desire/aspiration of what the world should be now and in the future?

3. The implications in real-life:
- how do players translate their choice of ideology to real-life situations (if they do so)
- how does it affect their views on others (players) who share different ideological preferences?

So, what do you guys think?

Alternatively, I could look at Altair more closely, and research on Muslim players' identification with Altair and the Assassin's Order (since both possess considerable Middle-Eastern/Arabic/Islamic features). This, I feel, would be a much narrowed down angle, however, I'm still struggling to refine the research questions.

For both topics, I will draw upon 'perceived realism' (how players connect the video game world with reality)

Bearing in mind that I have to write 15,000 words for this dissertation, what are your suggestions, advice and input? Do you think both are viable topics? And if I were to actually design questionnaires, do you think I'll get responses from players?

Thanks guys!

Farlander1991
04-30-2014, 09:13 AM
This seems quite interesting, my first suggestion would be to post this thread into the "Assassin's Creed General Discussion (Console)" section, not PC, since this is where most of the fans hang out and discuss the series, ideological topics as well (including most of the PC players who go to the PC section mostly for the PC-specific related discussions, but still talk about the game in the Console section). This way, a lot more forummers will see it. Cheers!

guidomista
04-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Hi,
A key I found in all AC games, about the 2 orders, is that they are some kind of "political ethics".
What do you prefer for the "good" of people? Order or freedom? Each one has its pro and con.
If you prefer freedom, you have Left believes. If order, you have Right ones.
Said so, it's very simplistic, I know.
Even more in first AC, when Left and Right are still to be defined (French Revolution) and The Assassin's Creed is quite about "Order and Rules" too in that time...
But this is just an input you should deepen.
Templars: they believe in enlightened monarchies lead people, using the Artifacts power (Artifact are symbols of absolute power, imo).
Assassins: they think nobody has to own such power, even if this means chaos for lack of leadership. It's the price of freedom.
With these premises no wonder that today Abstergo is so powerful and Assassins are so sparse and disorganized ...

Think about the 2 maxims:
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted" (Assassins) and "May the Father of Understanding guide us" (Templars).
First sentence is a declaration of total freedom without any kind of external influences, even if this can lead to chaos.
Second one assumes that there is an "absolute right" (Understanding) that has to lead human behavior.

I hope this can give you some input to think about.

Bye

Aisoreal
05-01-2014, 05:16 PM
This seems quite interesting, my first suggestion would be to post this thread into the "Assassin's Creed General Discussion (Console)" section, not PC, since this is where most of the fans hang out and discuss the series, ideological topics as well (including most of the PC players who go to the PC section mostly for the PC-specific related discussions, but still talk about the game in the Console section). This way, a lot more forummers will see it. Cheers!

Thank you so much! I will do that soon :)

Aisoreal
05-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Hi,
A key I found in all AC games, about the 2 orders, is that they are some kind of "political ethics".
What do you prefer for the "good" of people? Order or freedom? Each one has its pro and con.
If you prefer freedom, you have Left believes. If order, you have Right ones.
Said so, it's very simplistic, I know.
Even more in first AC, when Left and Right are still to be defined (French Revolution) and The Assassin's Creed is quite about "Order and Rules" too in that time...
But this is just an input you should deepen.
Templars: they believe in enlightened monarchies lead people, using the Artifacts power (Artifact are symbols of absolute power, imo).
Assassins: they think nobody has to own such power, even if this means chaos for lack of leadership. It's the price of freedom.
With these premises no wonder that today Abstergo is so powerful and Assassins are so sparse and disorganized ...

Think about the 2 maxims:
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted" (Assassins) and "May the Father of Understanding guide us" (Templars).
First sentence is a declaration of total freedom without any kind of external influences, even if this can lead to chaos.
Second one assumes that there is an "absolute right" (Understanding) that has to lead human behavior.

I hope this can give you some input to think about.

Bye

Yes, that is quite true - political ideologies will be the backbone of all of this. Thank you very much for your input! :)

guidomista
05-02-2014, 10:32 AM
You're welcome! :)

Bye