PDA

View Full Version : Lost My Faith

LieutenantRex
04-28-2014, 11:11 PM
A year ago, I was defending AC against former fans who had moaned on and on about the franchise being milked. I was on the edge of my seat for new information for AC4. The same with AC3. I never thought my enthusiasm and faith in the series would ever waver.
Until I realized today that I didn't give a damn about AC Unity. I mean, if this were a year ago, I'd be visiting these forums every day, trying to seep in knowledge about leaks and anything AC related, but the series has just lost its charm for me. I don't know why. I don't think it's the gameplay. It may be the out of control story, but I think it's mostly the yearly releases. I've just lost my anticipation.

I just needed to share this, because AC was an important part of my life for a while, even if it was just a game.

Wolfmeister1010
04-28-2014, 11:24 PM
Okay then..maybe when we actual see some Unity gameplay/trailers you may change your mind.

Shahkulu101
04-28-2014, 11:32 PM
*Plays world's smallest violin*

Wolfmeister1010
04-28-2014, 11:35 PM
*Plays world's smallest violin*

*Plays even smaller violin*

TheHumanTowel
04-28-2014, 11:38 PM
I get what you mean. AC1-ACB I thought this was the best series ever. It's kind of sad I just don't care about it as much any more. It's mostly because I can't see the gameplay evolving in any meaningful way and the story is just a lost cause. An utter mess.

AdamPearce
04-28-2014, 11:47 PM
Okay then..maybe when we actual see some Unity gameplay/trailers you may change your mind.

Man, you seem to believe so much in this game, I really hope you won't be disapointed.

Wolfmeister1010
04-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Man, you seem to believe so much in this game, I really hope you won't be disapointed.

I put my trust in Ubisoft. I stuck with them though out this whole WD downgrade mess, inn which people tried to compare nighttime/rainy Ultra PC gameplay to daytime deep debug mode PS4 gameplay and call it a "downgrade". And now we have gotten new vids that prove that it looks great on PS4.

I actually have never really been that disappointed with any AC game. I knew ACR was gonna bomb, and it did. I actually liked AC3, thought it was better than most games that come out these days.

AC4 was a dream come true. Now, we got info about some co op and wall running, some stunning footage, and an trustworthy insider who says that the game will feel fresh and awesome and should "please" fans. I do not think I will be disappointed.

While people like to give Ubi ****, including me sometimes..and I do admit that they are nowhere near as serving of the fans as they should be, but they have put out some of my favorite games ever, AC and Far Cry, and WD looks awesome, and so does the Division.

ze_topazio
04-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Revelations left much to be desired and then AC3 made me lose faith in the series, I though the annualization had killed the series, short games like Revelations could more or less work, but a big one like AC3 was impossible to make in a satisfying way.

Fortunately AC4 proved me wrong and my faith was restored, I assume the working schedule of AC3 was poorly planned or maybe something went really wrong, I don't know, but with AC4 they made good use of the time they were given to work.

Even though I highly enjoyed AC4 I still think the series lost something when Patrice left and the annualization begun, I no longer expect a "BEST GAME EVER", my standards were lowered, now I just want a fun game, I still love the historical tourism, to climb things and kill people, I'm still here for the sh*ts and giggles and the rather crazy community.

Fatal-Feit
04-29-2014, 12:27 AM
I'm with Wolfmeister100. The latest games have been coming out in MUCH better quality. And the stories, deeper and meaningful. AC:B-AC:R felt like half a game and repeated copy&paste. And regardless of having a set story direction, they didn't offer anything too intriguing with the gameplay and especially the story. After AC:1 and before AC:3, I was enjoying the series for just being a simply fun, historical GTA game. There was hardly any of this deep, thoughtful, hardcore saga to follow. Or at least, I couldn't find any to be intrigued with. I know most people enjoyed having the trilogy more, but frankly, I enjoy getting more buck for my money.

Assassin_M
04-29-2014, 12:38 AM
"Waaa Waaaaa Patrice left" "Waaa i thought asscreed 2 and asscreed bro were the best things evaaaa waaaa" "ACR sucks even though it was the exact same as the games i say are the best things waaaaaaaa" "conner is boring waaaaa" "waaaaa waaaaa the story didnt go as i wanted so it sucks waaaaa"

that said, I do agree with OP...the annualization has more or less killed any anticipation i may have for new ACs. heck, i considered not buying AC IV for some time

ze_topazio
04-29-2014, 12:49 AM
http://www.dealspwn.com/writer/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/old_lady_purse_fight.gif

itsamea-mario
04-29-2014, 12:50 AM
https://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1390/52/1390525226914.png

Assassin_M
04-29-2014, 12:51 AM
http://www.dealspwn.com/writer/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/old_lady_purse_fight.gif
lolololololololololo

cheers for taking it lightly, mate

AdamPearce
04-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Now, we got info about some co op and wall running, some stunning footage, and an trustworthy insider who says that the game will feel fresh and awesome and should "please" fans. I do not think I will be disappointed...

Just like people were sayin for Black Flag that is was ''getting back to the source'' and that the fights were ''a challenge''.

AC and Far Cry, and WD looks awesome, and so does the Division.

that's prety much all you'll get get from it, awesome looking games.

itsamea-mario
04-29-2014, 12:55 AM
To be fair, i do agree with OP, AC has kinda gone to the dogs in many regards, Black Flag h
was a glimmer of hope however, and Unity has potential, but still...

AdamPearce
04-29-2014, 12:58 AM
I think the only potential that resides in Assassin's Creed is contained in it's trailers. I seriously can't wait to see what they'll come up with for E3.

cawatrooper9
04-29-2014, 12:59 AM
Have you ever looked at one of those threads where people are asked to rank the AC games in order of favorite to least favorite?
You might notice how divided the AC community is. Some people put AC1 last, some put it first. AC2 generally does well, but many hate it. AC3 and Rev are typically really controversial, with many supporters and a large number of haters as well.

My point is, it all really comes down to opinion. Sorry that you don't like the recent games, but many gamers (including myself) personally find them to be far superior to the Ezio trilogy and beyond. It's almost as if the perceived quality of a game was actually a subjective measure! ;)

ze_topazio
04-29-2014, 01:02 AM
lolololololololololo

cheers for taking it lightly, mate

I always take everything lightly, I may have sound a bit dramatic on my post, but that wasn't really my intention, lol.

AdamPearce
04-29-2014, 01:07 AM
People saying they don't like ACII probably didn'T played it when it camed out. M has to agree with me on this one, ACII felt like that feeling when you sit down after being up all day. ACI was so restrictive and cut-off in it's gameplay that when ACII showed up with all his new abilities and possibilities and the awesome cities and the musics and hype and and...man. It really felt good, and it was really good...at the time.

Today I feel most people hate it because ''Ezio is a cliché'' and it's true, but you can't say it wasn't a good game or that it added nothing to the serie, because that would be ridiculous. For me, ACRevelations has the most complete gameplay in the whole serie, tho I prefer saying it's ACB since it has much more stuff to do and that ACR didn't add that much, it just completes ACB.

+ http://imgbox.fr/images/2014/04/28/216faf7c6.jpg

so awzomm omg !!!

Wolfmeister1010
04-29-2014, 01:09 AM
"Waaa Waaaaa Patrice left" "Waaa i thought asscreed 2 and asscreed bro were the best things evaaaa waaaa" "ACR sucks even though it was the exact same as the games i say are the best things waaaaaaaa" "conner is boring waaaaa" "waaaaa waaaaa the story didnt go as i wanted so it sucks waaaaa"

that said, I do agree with OP...the annualization has more or less killed any anticipation i may have for new ACs. heck, i considered not buying AC IV for some time

You do understand how incredibly rude that sounds right? People have the right to voice their opinion. The people voicing their opinion in this thread have been nothing but respectful and calm..

itsamea-mario
04-29-2014, 01:11 AM
You do understand how incredibly rude that sounds right? People have the right to voice their opinion. The people voicing their opinion in this thread have been nothing but respectful and calm..
That's your opinion.

Wolfmeister1010
04-29-2014, 01:14 AM
Just like people were sayin for Black Flag that is was ''getting back to the source'' and that the fights were ''a challenge''.

that's prety much all you'll get get from it, awesome looking games.

It did get back to the source in a way..with a renewed focus on stealth. But yeah it still had a long way to go. I was pleasantly surprised how much of what they said would be in the game actually ended up in the game.

Far Cry 3 was a fantastic game, so were most of the Acs, and Division remains to be seen. People have been giving Watch Dogs nothing but praise..which is kinda ironic.

Watch Dogs: "Ubitrash" "downgraded" game releases gameplay and shocks everyone with beautiful gameplay and wonderful previews and hands ons.

Destiny: No possible way the game is gonna disappoint, made by the legendary Bungie team. *Releases boring gameplay video that plays and feels exactly like Halo, gets more than one previews saying "I played Destiny and it was pretty boring"*

Wolfmeister1010
04-29-2014, 01:15 AM
That's your opinion.

Indeed?

SixKeys
04-29-2014, 01:18 AM
I'm not super excited about Unity either. We've barely seen anything. I won't believe the short teaser is actually representative of the overall graphical quality until I see a longer trailer. Anything can be made to look good if it only has to last less than 20 seconds.

And yes, the annualization is slowly killing my interest in the franchise too. I miss the days when anything AC-related would send me through the roof. Now it's like "another one already? Oh well". I guess it's inevitable when any kind of series (movies, TV shows, games) becomes this big.

Assassin_M
04-29-2014, 01:19 AM
People saying they don't like ACII probably didn'T played it when it camed out. M has to agree with me on this one, ACII felt like that feeling when you sit down after being up all day. ACI was so restrictive and cut-off in it's gameplay that when ACII showed up with all his new abilities and possibilities and the awesome cities and the musics and hype and and...man. It really felt good, and it was really good...at the time.
I played it when it first came out and I thought it was the most disappointing in the series. I think all ACs are good but i enjoyed AC II the least out of any AC.

Today I feel most people hate it because ''Ezio is a cliché'' and it's true, but you can't say it wasn't a good game or that it added nothing to the serie, because that would be ridiculous.
I thought it took away from the series and no, you can't say that's ridiculous because i have listed so many things about AC II that make me think it's my least favorite...i have posted plenty about it....condensing EVERY complaint about AC II into "Ezio is cliche" is like condensing the Connor hate into "because he's not Ezio"

Wolfmeister1010
04-29-2014, 01:20 AM
I don't care about annualization that much. As long as the games are great, I stay hyped for the series, and couldn't care less about whether it is "lame" or not that they release annually

Wolfmeister1010
04-29-2014, 01:22 AM
I played it when it first came out and I thought it was the most disappointing in the series. I think all ACs are good but i enjoyed AC II the least out of any AC.

I thought it took away from the series and no, you can't say that's ridiculous because i have listed so many things about AC II that make me think it's my least favorite...i have posted plenty about it....condensing EVERY complaint about AC II into "Ezio is cliche" is like condensing the Connor hate into "because he's not Ezio"

Agreed. A very thoughtful post. Although I do not agree that AC2 was the worst, your points that you have put out before are valid

I-Like-Pie45
04-29-2014, 01:22 AM
Meow's board

Meow's the chaircat of the board

AdamPearce
04-29-2014, 01:25 AM
Far Cry 3 was a fantastic game, so were most of the Acs, and Division remains to be seen. People have been giving Watch Dogs nothing but praise..which is kinda ironic.

FC3 was great, and I'm quite happy there is still no annonce for FC4.
AC is dead to me, I just stopped trying.
Division looks great indeed, but it doens't look like to have a very interesting gameplay tho'.
Watch_Dogs, I don't know what to think anymore. I frankly did not like how the gameplay turned out to be. I loved how it was very calm in the 2012 gameplay before going completely nuts and awesome. But from what we've seen, it's just another shooter. Tho the parkour possibilities and finish moves looks nice, but we'll see.

Watch Dogs: "Ubitrash" "downgraded" game releases gameplay and shocks everyone with beautiful gameplay and wonderful previews and hands ons.

E3 2012 was just too much perfect.
Aiden voice omg ''No, we don't hang out because we kill each other :troll:'' It sucked they changed him.

Personnaly the only game I'm waiting for is Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, all other game look like losers who try to be cool but know deep down they'll never be as awesome as MGS.

AdamPearce
04-29-2014, 01:32 AM

Gameplay-wise ? How can this be possible ? It's like saying you didn't like the new abilities all the game brought. Wich is nonsense since they haven't changed till' this day, and you seemed to like Black Flag, which is, according to many, a rip-off of ACII.

I don't get you.

Assassin_M
04-29-2014, 01:54 AM
Gameplay-wise ? How can this be possible ? It's like saying you didn't like the new abilities all the game brought. Wich is nonsense since they haven't changed till' this day, and you seemed to like Black Flag, which is, according to many, a rip-off of ACII.

I don't get you.
Gameplay wise and story wise. it's not that I didnt like them, it's that they worked like ****.

Combat became slower.
Combo kills are no longer smoothly implemented, the strategy in the combo kills was gone completely with the delayed reaction of Ezio's animations and hitting the enemy's sword. disarming added nothing to the game since fist fighting became OP. it was pointless to disarm when you can just counter-punch or counter hidden blade everyone to the ground, taunting was clunky due to the inconsistent locking system, throwing dust was pointless since it slows down AN ALREADY SLOW combat flow.

Blending became contrived.
the ridiculous concept of breaking down the organic crowds of AC I into out of place groups of people walking neatly together and making the scene of a larger crowd look unnatural was terrible imo. Social stealth was dumbed down to "hey, convenient, out of place group? go blend"

taking away the Assassin simulation.
the investigation system of AC I was one of my most beloved things ever. I don't care that people thought it was repetitive, i don't care that it was "restrictive" it made me feel like a real assassin with a hit job. ALL the system needed was variety and more control but they threw it all away in favor of an unoriginal GTA-esque mission system. Later ACs retain this, BUT they also retain some investigations...that's why I loved AC IV...i loved the eavesdropping and tailing, even though AGAIN, it could have used more variety.

there's A LOT more to be said about the story and idiotic side missions but like I said, i already talked at length about everything that irked me about AC II and i don't feel bothered to repeat everything again

Later AC combat systems are NOTHING like AC II. sure, they retained all the new additions but each game added a new element and layers that made every mechanic and system so much better. later games got rid of the factions, the poison blade, the OP hidden blade, taunting, group blending (although AC IV brought it back), idiotic side missions and black and white story. I like other later ACs because they have more of what I like and less of what I dislike than AC II did...i have likes and dislikes with every AC, it's just that AC II had the most of my dislikes..

Dev_Anj
04-29-2014, 02:35 AM
Watch_Dogs, I don't know what to think anymore. I frankly did not like how the gameplay turned out to be. I loved how it was very calm in the 2012 gameplay before going completely nuts and awesome. But from what we've seen, it's just another shooter. Tho the parkour possibilities and finish moves looks nice, but we'll see.

I don't think so. I think it will have a good focus on mission design, and it will have open ended levels with multiple strategies. Plus, it might introduce a new type of stealth.

Besides, well, this got my interest back:

Alright, so that wasn’t going to work. Thankfully, missions in Watch Dogs play out similarly to those in a Hitman game, as they encourage experimentation and multiple routes to success. Using Aiden’s unique hacking abilities, I decided to try to complete the mission without ever even entering the building. This started with a quick hack of a security camera. From there, I could hop from camera to camera around the entire ring of the building. This sensation of swapping viewpoints felt incredibly similar to the great iOS game Republique. Eventually I found the phone I needed to hack and did so remotely. With the first bit of info in hand, I decided to start causing some mayhem.

I spotted a fuse box that I could remotely detonate at the touch of a button. I waited for a guard to walk by and took him out in a massive explosion of sparks and smoke. His partners quickly rushed over to see what happened, which was when I spotted a specific guard whose cell phone camera was hackable. I jumped from the security camera to his phone, and once he resumed patrol, I was able to have a mobile first person view of the entire the compound. After a bit of waiting, the guard entered the room where the computer node was housed, and I jumped from the phone to the computer. The final step in this cyber invasion consisted of completing a series of hacking puzzles where I had to manipulate the intersections of a maze so that an energy wave could make its way from point A to point B. Though the concept was simple, it was just tricky enough to really pique my interest. And with that, I completed the mission without ever even entering the building in the first place. It’s a new definition of stealth, and one that I can’t wait to continue playing around with on May 27.

Of course, it could be a flawed and repetitive game like Assassin's Creed 1. Let's wait and watch.

itsamea-mario
04-29-2014, 03:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-UzXIQ5vw

LoyalACFan
04-29-2014, 04:23 AM
I agree with the OP, in that I'm no longer insanely hyped for new AC releases anymore. Frankly, I don't think I ever will be again after AC3 (which I did like, and I don't want to open that can of worms again, but I was ridiculously hyped for it following E3 2012 and it didn't deliver). I'm not really losing my faith in the series though. AC4 was fantastic, and I have every reason to believe Unity will be too. I'm still excited for it and I'm definitely going to buy it unless something really drastic happens, but I'm not itching to get my hands on it the same way I'm itching to get Arkham Knight, The Witcher 3, or MGS5.

I-Like-Pie45
04-29-2014, 05:04 AM
Someone buy me a PS4 so I can be itched the same way you folks are for that upcoming stuf

Aphex_Tim
04-29-2014, 10:40 AM
True, I can't really get excited anymore with these annual releases, especially after how AC3 kinda let us down. But that did however lead to me being very pleasantly surprised when I finally picked up AC4 (which is now even my favorite game in the series). I didn't follow that game's development cycle nearly as much as I did AC3's. But that's why I'm also kinda hesitant to follow every single development of Unity. The more you'll expect, the higher your chances of being disappointed in the end.

Sushiglutton
04-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Seems like I'm the only one, but I'm actually more excited this year than the last one :)!

AC3 was the biggest gaming dispointment ever and last year I felt pretty gutted (which is why I wrote over 2k posts analyzing the flaws of AC3 lol). AC4 was a step in the right direction. It really felt like Ubi had listened to some of the criticism (in particular about stealth and a more open mission design). Now I'm curious to see if they will continue the positive trend and do more of the things we have suggested (yay us!).

I enjoy discussing AC with you guys, but lately I kind of felt like we have runned out of topics (mainly because AC4 is so similar to AC3 in a lot of ways). So hopefully Unity will bring some new fresh ones to break down. I'm very excited to see if they can revitalize the parkour as that is one of my favourite kinds of gameplay (since the PoP days), but I think the AC version is a bit beige.

Ubisoft are really great at marketing, so just following the campaign is fun imo. For example their E3 trailers have all been stellar!

ze_topazio
04-29-2014, 01:45 PM
I'm not excited because we have already been through this many times and because we know nothing about it, the only thing to be excited for is the city of Paris which I'm sure will be a great playground,

I would say I am, at the moment, more excited for the rumored unannounced current gen game and that is because we know nothing about that one, not even if it exists, and for some reason that is exciting.

Megas_Doux
04-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Uber excitement leads to disappointment!

And thus, even though I really want to see what Unity will bring, I am doing it cautiously.

By the way, AC IV is my favorite gameplay wise in the series.

LoyalACFan
04-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Seems like I'm the only one, but I'm actually more excited this year than the last one :)

Oh, I am too, without a doubt, but then again I wasn't really looking forward to Black Flag at all, at least at this stage of the hype train. When the pirate thing was announced, my heart sank as I feared it would basically be a retread of AC3 (and it actually was, in many respects, but it fixed most of the glaring faults). Right now, I'm pleasantly anticipating more info on Unity, but I'm not hanging off the edge of my seat like I was in 2012.

Shahkulu101
04-29-2014, 04:59 PM
I've only been with the series since Brotherhood, so after experiencing the reveals and launches of Revelations and AC3 - the familiar feeling of suspense, excitement and my massess of curiosity have dwindled. It's just the natural order of things, we know there's an AC coming every year - and every year we become more tired. But I actually love the majority of the games - AC4 being my favorite - and I'm excited for Unity, I'm just not anxious to play yet another AC game. I can't help it if I'm being negative or whatever, I can't simply inject excitement into myself. Maybe E3 can.

DumbGamerTag94
04-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Personally I have been playing the series since the first game came out. Every year I tend to be very excited. I've also never been extremely disappointed because I hyped myself up too much. I felt every AC met my expectations, now to what extent they rose above has varied, but I've always ben very excited and pleasantly surprised.

This being the first year for me on the forums, I think I know what everyone's problem is.

When paying attention to every leak, every rumor, every day, it creates a need for more info(if you give a mouse a cookie kind of thing). And you expect more info and when it doesn't come it feels upsetting and makes you start feeling bored. Also because the rumors and leaks are sooooo early a lot of things that may not make it into the final game become expected by everyone, and even higher standards are expected from the speculation built off of those rumors, and when these things aren't in the final game people get pissed off even though it wasn't possible to put in, or it is just something the speculation hype train made up.

Now before this year I would typically find out about AC after E3 or an official release. I might watch some footage and read a few articles. Then wait a while till September or October and then read every detail I can get my hands on. The info is far more accurate at that point and plentiful. It's an all u can eat buffet of knowledge, that would bore any of you because you've heard of it already by this point in the year. So the boredom and monotony of only getting tiny tidbits of info once every 2 months isn't there because you get all that info at once. And you aren't disappointed from false hopes because what you read by that point is usually what you get not such speculation and over hyping. Then the only thing that usually would disappoint is the story, or maybe a location you don't like. It gets me very exited to play the game every year.

Think of it like the news. You may stop and soak up all the info in the 30min national news(ubisoft official releases E3 and Info a month or 2 before release)and it holds your interest and you care about what's going on, but then you go visit your grandpa and he watches 24 hour news networks(these forums and other sites), that u can watch for more than an hour before it becomes increadably boring and uninteresting and you fall asleep not caring anymore.

Too much info too early is not a good thing. It is the source of why everyone here is already sick of the series after only starting with Brotherhood or AC3 they are already tired. While I have been with te series since the beginning and still love it consistently every year I feel it gets better.

I think it's just nicer to be blissfully unaware of what's going on with AC until Ubi releases info. There is a reason they hold it for so long you know(it's so that every buyer doesn't end up like you guys on this thread).

I challenge everyone who says they don't have faith in the series to just avoid any info on it until a month before release, I guarentee you will all be more than satisfied with the final product. And will be devouring every last article you can read until final release you will definately feel hype then. Something always feels more special when it's not in your face. 24/7 every day all year. Of course you don't care anymore :rolleyes: :p

poptartz20
04-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Umm.. I am rather curious about ACU (I think of university for some reason)

I can't lie and say it's the most anticipated game on my radar right now, for the simple fact there are other games right now like watchdogs, the order 1886, DA Inquisition, and Uncharted etc that have more of my attention.

I will still play it and probably buy it considering I am a fan of the story and gameplay plus I really like the time period and I've wanted a game in France! The series has highs and lows for me just like it does for everybody else. But even though I don't think most would agree with me I feel AC3 was a step in the right direction after the end of the Ezio saga to bring more to the series but they just lost their footing along the way. Since Brotherhood (slightly)/ Revelations was a low point for me I feel it's been brought back to life a bit, and I still enjoy the series fully, but the series being annual does kill a bit of the anticipation. Because it's almost like I have to start all the way over year after year after year.

But I agree with ACFan when black flag was announced I really skeptical, because I wasn't sold on a game being over 40% naval like it was, but I was proven wrong when I got to play it. So, I will sit and wait with some anticipation of what Unity has in store for us. Also for those who don't want to get overly hyped about the game... if you don't have any expectations for it then you can't really be disappointed now can you? ha! so either way is a win win!

Ureh
04-29-2014, 10:45 PM
Yep, it's natural. Like being around friends or family all your life. You start taking things for granted. But it's when you realize how you'll feel when they're gone... Also sometimes it's okay to hate or criticise something cause what it really means is that you care right? We don't want to see something we love deteriorate.

You gotta have faith.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsfzk4B1wG1qfh2bxo4_500.png