PDA

View Full Version : Is really AC:Black flag graphics a "next gen" ?

salehhesham
04-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Hi
I am playing the game now on my PS4 and I am enjoying it so much.

and the graphics is mmm let me say "nice"..and the lighting and shades are good

but is it really next gen ?

Sushiglutton
04-28-2014, 09:05 AM
"Next gen" is just a marketing term, it doesn't mean much. Ubisoft even claimed that AC3 "looks next-gen" (http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/10783.html) and it wasn't even on Ps4/X1 lol.

I think AC4 looks real nice, but it's a last gen game with some extra eye candy rather than a pure next gen game. Unity will likely look much better. And four years from now when you go back to play Unity you will wonder why you ever thought it was pretty (ok that may be an exaggeration). As always the future of gaming is bright :)!

Locopells
04-28-2014, 09:48 AM
The future's bright, the future's...wait a minute...

STDlyMcStudpants
04-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Compare AC1 graphics to AC 3.... this is how big of a leap AC4 will be to the final AC of this gen...
Early gen always looks the worst... and considering how demanding AC IV is on PC alone... id say its a pretty good worst

dewgel
04-28-2014, 09:11 PM

That just reminds me of many teenage years in a cinema, listening to the constant Orange adverts :P

Wolfmeister1010
04-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Compare AC1 graphics to AC 3.... this is how big of a leap AC4 will be to the final AC of this gen...
Early gen always looks the worst... and considering how demanding AC IV is on PC alone... id say its a pretty good worst

Did you see the Unity Trailer?? All AC games have been brought down by last gen..that is why the difference is not big. Ubisoft was able to nearly max out the last gen fairly quickly.

The Unity trailer literally looks 5 times better than AC4 on ultra PC settings.

Anyway, AC4 has some great lighting, wonderful tessellation, great smoke and particle effects, and great environments. But, the textures, draw distance, character models, and geometry is very lacking, due to the last gen. Just look at those small rocky cliffs in the ocean. The geometry is quite bad.

The graphics in Unity, just from the trailer, feature better lighting, better reflections/shadows off surfaces and smoke, better particle effects, better textures, better character models, more than twice the amount of NPCs on the streets, better draw distance, better physics, THAT is what Next gen looks like. It doesn't look quite as good as Witcher 3 or The Division, but it is damn gorgeous.

And, AC has never had a history with downgrading graphics. AC1 was magnificent from reveal to release, AC2 just got some weird filters, ACB looked better than in trailers, ACR looked exactly like trailers, AC3 looked just as good, if not better, than trailers (Although consoles had many flickering/framerate problems) and AC4 looked just as good at release as it did in the first demo walkthrough. The e3 demo just had better character models. I expect that Unity will look just like this upon release, at least for PC.

SixKeys
04-28-2014, 10:30 PM
AC4 looked great, but was held back by the fact that they had to make it available for both next-gen and current-gen consoles. Unity is supposedly next-gen exclusive, so they have a lot more freedom to make it look as good as it possibly can.

Wolfmeister1010
04-28-2014, 11:29 PM
When Unity was a crossgen title, the only improvements over AC4 were better/more Character models and NPCs, and a slightly better draw distance. Now, it has turned into the graphical masterpiece we saw in the trailer. If that doesn't prove the power that comes with next gen exclusive gaming..then I don't know what does.

jkspidey
04-29-2014, 05:06 AM
It is made for both gens. So they need to keep a level of similarity.

Sushiglutton
04-29-2014, 11:52 AM
When Unity was a crossgen title, the only improvements over AC4 were better/more Character models and NPCs, and a slightly better draw distance. Now, it has turned into the graphical masterpiece we saw in the trailer. If that doesn't prove the power that comes with next gen exclusive gaming..then I don't know what does.

Hang on, how do you know these things? Do you have a source? TELL US YOUR SOURCE GOD GDAMN'IT!!!!

Wolfmeister1010
04-29-2014, 12:23 PM
It is made for both gens. So they need to keep a level of similarity.

uh..

STDlyMcStudpants
04-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Did you see the Unity Trailer?? All AC games have been brought down by last gen..that is why the difference is not big. Ubisoft was able to nearly max out the last gen fairly quickly.

The Unity trailer literally looks 5 times better than AC4 on ultra PC settings.

Okay.... I mean I wouldn't count 5 years (AC Revelations) as 'fairly quickly' considering it only took Guerrilla Games (Killzone 2) 3 years....
I swear you people just like to argue with me -_-

Theres not a chance in hell that developers are at the consoles full potential already...
Theres no doubt AC Unity will blow AC 4 out of the water.. IMO so did AC3 and ACR (at least on the PS3 and 360)
But not because its not being brought down by last gen..but because ubisoft have experience developing with it for a beautiful version of AC4..which there is no denying looks gorgeous on next gen and was clearly developed for nextgen.....
AC4 didnt have past gen slowing it down though..it had a mixture of size and short dev time slowing it down
AC Unity will be smaller and has been in development for 3 years i believe?
It will look great...but still.... We haven't seen anything yet.....

AC started to look as good as Killzone 2 (2009) in 2011 with Assassins Creed Revelations
Now Imagine an Assassins Creed in 2015 that looks as good as Killzone Shadowfall (2013)....
;)

poptartz20
04-29-2014, 06:09 PM

I GOTTA WEAR SHADES...

:) I'm surprised no one finished this out, no need now, the job is done. haha.

I think AC4 looks real nice, but it's a last gen game with some extra eye candy rather than a pure next gen game. Unity will likely look much better. And four years from now when you go back to play Unity you will wonder why you ever thought it was pretty (ok that may be an exaggeration). As always the future of gaming is bright :)!

I agree with this! I feel that also the old gen will hold back the new gen for a little bit! and we will keep seeing this happen until the old gen is no longer supported or games will get a special "remastered" or "definitive" edition. lol.