PDA

View Full Version : Why no muskets?

Harvey_TJ_child
04-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Why are there no rifle/muskets that you can sheath? It has good range and power and a bayonet would give it close combat capabilities also modern day assassins use sniper rifles.

I think this an amazing idea to put into assassin's creed unity seeing as the French Revolution brought on the baker rifle, look it up to see its awesome bulky but sleek look

Tell me what you think!

Aphex_Tim
04-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally it was possible in AC3 but it was taken out for some reason. Maybe they'll add it in the future but I doubt it'll be possible in Unity. Judging from those screenshots, the new character doesn't really seem like someone who would be carrying a musket around.

Harvey_TJ_child
04-26-2014, 12:16 PM
But still when you think about Edward kenway and the pirate theme of the game, a lot of enemy's carry muskets scouts on boats and roofs. I just don't know why they didn't ever go through with it

DumbGamerTag94
04-26-2014, 06:27 PM
But still when you think about Edward kenway and the pirate theme of the game, a lot of enemy's carry muskets scouts on boats and roofs. I just don't know why they didn't ever go through with it

But Edward already was able to carry 4 pistols. Which by themselves were a little much. A musket would have given him too much fire power. I mean he could pick off 2 or 3 guards with a musket n by the time they get close enough to him he could take out the remaining 4 with his pistols. It's too much. I think that's why they left it out. Adelawe didn't have pistols though so he got the blunderbus(simmilar to musket feature). So I am willing to bet we could carry a rifle of some kind if the assassin is only able to carry 1 or 2 pistols

Sushiglutton
04-26-2014, 08:21 PM
I think it's for technical reasons. A really long object like a musket strapped to your back will cause lots of clipping problems when you parkour. This is my guess anyhow.

Assassin_M
04-26-2014, 08:28 PM
An Assassin should only wear a signature weapon (sword, tomahawk..etc), 2 ranged weapons (silent and loud), hidden blades and a few tools imo. all the other unnecessary things like armor, axes, muskets..etc should be temporary

cawatrooper9
04-26-2014, 08:41 PM
I think it's for technical reasons. A really long object like a musket strapped to your back will cause lots of clipping problems when you parkour. This is my guess anyhow.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. Similar to how Ezio could only temporarily wield spears/halberds.

Harvey_TJ_child
04-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. Similar to how Ezio could only temporarily wield spears/halberds.

Good point. But with next gen becoming larger and larger and improving more and more there could be endless possibilities

Also what about a modern day use of pistols, SMGs, machine guns and snipers in the way Of an outside animus story? I know quite a few people thought that playing as Desmond was boring, but what about trying it again?

cawatrooper9
04-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Good point. But with next gen becoming larger and larger and improving more and more there could be endless possibilities

Also what about a modern day use of pistols, SMGs, machine guns and snipers in the way Of an outside animus story? I know quite a few people thought that playing as Desmond was boring, but what about trying it again?
I'd be all for that. I always was a sucker for the Desmond storyline.
Even so, I'd want to see there still be an emphasis on the hidden blades- it's such a trademark of AC, and SMGs/Assault Rifles/etc might feel a little overpowered. Maybe they'd be ok, along with muskets in the historical story, as long as ammo was scarce.

Harvey_TJ_child
04-26-2014, 09:31 PM
I'd be all for that. I always was a sucker for the Desmond storyline.
Even so, I'd want to see there still be an emphasis on the hidden blades- it's such a trademark of AC, and SMGs/Assault Rifles/etc might feel a little overpowered. Maybe they'd be ok, along with muskets in the historical story, as long as ammo was scarce.

Maybe your right, where as you don't want to much fire power and a lot of ammo having it there is a good idea for sniping off targets.

For out of animus game play depending on how easy they make it to shoot depends on whether something would be over the top, I agree on the physical combat side of having a hidden blade is super cool and different from other games which are about killing. They also don't want to make the first person view of black flag to make another call of duty.

LoyalACFan
04-27-2014, 01:52 AM

This. Plus, it looks absolutely ridiculous.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qfIx4L_6fis/UFVu0hh595I/AAAAAAAAALM/l0keXm8bMbk/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-16-02h15m56s76.jpg

The crossbow in ACB was bad enough, but that would be horrid to play through the whole game with.

Harvey_TJ_child
04-27-2014, 07:43 AM
This. Plus, it looks absolutely ridiculous.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qfIx4L_6fis/UFVu0hh595I/AAAAAAAAALM/l0keXm8bMbk/s1280/vlcsnap-2012-09-16-02h15m56s76.jpg

The crossbow in ACB was bad enough, but that would be horrid to play through the whole game with.

Depends on where you put it on the body of the character, to be honest it could be cool.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-p7PoHEQFLqs/TzyelCa0R4I/AAAAAAAAADA/Ify-NFqdDoQ/s1600/N1-AssCreed1.jpg

Nikolai made it cool.

LoyalACFan
04-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Depends on where you put it on the body of the character, to be honest it could be cool.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-p7PoHEQFLqs/TzyelCa0R4I/AAAAAAAAADA/Ify-NFqdDoQ/s1600/N1-AssCreed1.jpg

Nikolai made it cool.

Nikolai's gun was about 2/3 the size of the black powder muskets in AC3 though. I've actually held a colonial-era musket replica at a museum in Boonesborough, and trust me, there's no way you could carry it on your back during parkour and combat without looking stupid, even if we're completely ignoring the fact that they're heavy and unwieldy as hell.

cawatrooper9
04-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Plus, regardless of the size of the weapon, the muskets used in AC3, AC33:L, and AC4 typically had bayonets. You wouldn't want to be rolling around with one of those bad boys prodding into you.

Harvey_TJ_child
04-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Nikolai's gun was about 2/3 the size of the black powder muskets in AC3 though. I've actually held a colonial-era musket replica at a museum in Boonesborough, and trust me, there's no way you could carry it on your back during parkour and combat without looking stupid, even if we're completely ignoring the fact that they're heavy and unwieldy as hell.

http://www.museumoftechnology.org.uk/nimages/A1104x_ex.jpg

This is the baker rifle. England's top rifle during he French Revolution. It is short barrelled and the bayonet is optional.

jayjay275
04-27-2014, 02:28 PM
I don't think we need rifles, let alone pistols.

Assassin_M
04-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Still looks ridiculous...

DumbGamerTag94
04-28-2014, 01:05 AM
All Colonial Era guns were not insanely long. They came in several different types for different purposes. Being that you held one in Boonesborough(Kentucky Right?). Pioneer colonial History type deal, Daniel Boone, some Revolution type stuff here or there I presume but mostly focused on Settlers right? Based on that location and the fact that that was frontier at the Colonial Times I would guess that you probably held a Kentucky Long Rifle or Pennsylvania Long Rifle.

A Long Rifle: Exactly as the name implies very large. Designed for hunting and long range. Not a military gun primarily for civilians, however was used to a very large extent by Americans in the Revolution because it was the easiest thing for them to get ahold of since most people outside of cities owned one. Were not made to accept Bayonet attachment. They were usually rifled barrels and very unwieldy(I'm fairly confident one of these is what you held) The guy here in the red coat is holding one.
http://americanpowderhorns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/revolutionary-war-rifles2.jpg

A Standard Musket/Rifle: These are what were standard issue for soldiers of any country. Shorter and lighter than civilian long rifles, designed to balance range and maneuverability, so not as accurate at range as a long rifle, but far easier to use and lighter. Could come as a smooth bore musket, or as a rifle. The baker rifle for example(as someone else as posted here) is one of this type. They often look similar in size to a Long rifle when the bayonet is attached, but without the size difference is noticeable.
http://www.britishbattles.com/images/princeton/grenadier-l.jpg

A Carbine: Far shorter gun. Designed for use by Cavalry soldiers for firing from horseback. Short for easy use in a saddle(and so it doesn't bump your horse in the head), and so as not to be too bulky in a saddle holster. This gun is the right type of size for Carrying in AC, it would take up about as much space as the crossbow of ACB and ACR.
Here's a picture of a German cavalryman in 1810 using one.
http://www.militaryheritage.com/images/1810saxoncavalry.jpg
And here is a picture of a French model 1777 Carbine(likely what would be used)
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/9/9f/Model_1777_Carbine.jpg/500px-Model_1777_Carbine.jpg

Plus, regardless of the size of the weapon, the muskets used in AC3, AC33:L, and AC4 typically had bayonets. You wouldn't want to be rolling around with one of those bad boys prodding into you.

And to this.....Bayonets aren't built in to a gun, its an attachment soldiers would attach if on patrol or in battle. It is inaccurate how the guns that sit on racks in AC have bayonets already attached, a soldier would carry this in his satchel and fix bayonets when given the order. So it wouldn't be an issue for a gun on your back, because no person would ever be so stupid as to carry a rifle on their back with the bayonet still attached.

If you can carry a rifle of any kind I would say it would probably be a Carbine to avoid looking foolish with a massive gun on your back, however I doubt an assassin in Paris in 1780 would have one on his back. If this would have been used it would probably have been with Connor. But then again why does a random Citizen in Renaissance Rome have a Crossbow? So we may see a rifle in Unity who knows?!

I also find it odd we didn't see any Cavalry Soldiers in AC3. They had the sickest uniforms, (and people would know about carbines) and they were used as patrols extensively in small towns during the Revolution so I found it odd they weren't wandering around the frontier in AC3, it would have been interesting to take out a unit of Cavalry soldiers rather than only Foot, having to use different strategy to counter the speed and maneuverability of a Cavalry unit would have shook things up a bit(but that's just another missed opportunity by that game)

Megas_Doux
04-28-2014, 02:24 AM
Navigating through trees with those uber long muskets just does not make any sense, besides it looks ridiculous...

Locopells
04-28-2014, 02:26 AM

http://www.redmolotov.com/images/designs/they-dont-like-it-up-em-tshirt_design.jpg

DumbGamerTag94
04-28-2014, 02:39 AM
Navigating through trees with those uber long muskets just does not make any sense, besides it looks ridiculous...

As I show in my earlier post(with pictures for reference) not all muskets were long as hell. An assassin could easily carry a carbine with little difficulty without looking foolish. It takes up nearly the same space as a cross bow.

LoyalACFan
04-28-2014, 08:39 AM
As I show in my earlier post(with pictures for reference) not all muskets were long as hell. An assassin could easily carry a carbine with little difficulty without looking foolish. It takes up nearly the same space as a cross bow.

And most people agree that the crossbow looked awful...

Fatal-Feit
04-28-2014, 09:19 AM

It couldn't be any worse than the blunderbuss in Freedom Cry which I enjoyed. It was long but not bulky or OP like the crossbow. And whether you hate it or love it, you have to agree that its animations, during combat, were nothing short of amazing.

DumbGamerTag94
04-28-2014, 12:46 PM

Yes because Assassins never carried conspicuous weapons before the crossbow. There was only the fact that Alta´r had a short sword across his back and covered in throwing knives. Ezio in AC 2 wasn't any better he had two giant weapons on his hip and if you equipped a large sword or war hammer it was REALLY obvious. Then they added the crossbow(which to me wasn't too bad) but I can understand why people don't like it the width of the thing takes up a lot of space and it just seems odd or distracting. And it's not like Connors huge bow an arrow(which was useless by the way) was even more obvious yet, and let's not even talk about the stupid blow dart and 4 guns on your chest I'm AC4. To claim a carbine rifle would somehow be worse than the weapons in every other AC game is ridiculous :rolleyes:

That said I don't personally think Unity would be the place for a man carrying a rifle. But I would be open to seeing one as a feature in a future game where having a rifle would be more sensible. The streets if Paris would look odd for a man to be carrying a rifle. Colonial America would have made far more sense for a man to be carrying a rifle(especially during the revolution). So if we have another more wilderness/frontiersy game like AC3 and 4 then it would make sense for a rifle to be a thing but Paris I'd be hesitant. But why knows we may get a rifle in Unity if the blunderbuss of Freedom Cry is an indicator of trying a new feature.